Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Neopie posted:

Are you sure because there's some real bad sprites later on.
If we're thinking of the same bad sprites, I stand by them as being good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
An uncut scene between the end of Ep 5 and the start of Ep 6:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

bman in 2288 posted:

So we've gone from trying to disprove witches to becoming a witch to disprove a fantasy in a mystery story. What's next, going full meta and acknowledging the fantasy of the story we're reading in this LP to make a point about love or something?
:getin:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Sindai posted:

Oh god are we going to have three meta layers now
There's actually a graph for all of this, but it contains spoilers so it can't be posted yet.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Fates End posted:

That hasn't been said yet, I don't think. No current game spoilers even in black boxes, wasn't that the rule?
Higurashi spoilers are fine in black box, and the device is mentioned in Featherine's profile.

Though frankly I think it should be said that much like how Bern =/= Rika, and Lambda =/= Takano, Featherine =/= Hanyuu in the same fashion.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
You think this is a motherfucking game?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
That baby had it coming for being born.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Rodyle posted:

Natsuhi remains one of the most liked characters by the fandom, incidentally.
Natsuhi has always been really interesting to me. She's one of the most prominent characters in the first installment, and then only again really takes a center focus in Episode 5. Yet in those two episodes she comes out as one of the most sympathetic characters, even accounting for her murdering two innocent people in a moment of stress.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Truly the best character of the series.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Erika Furudo, fiction's greatest detective.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Remember that red was never completed. How you interpret that is up to you, but there's something to be said about how she couldn't complete her statement.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Here is what Moon-chan was based upon - an official tarot card released with the anime blu-rays. They did cards for all the Major Arcana.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Fates End posted:

Yes, which is one of the things about the PS3 version that makes me say "What the hell, Alchemist?"I mean, that VA is definitely consciously going that hyper low, since I'm pretty sure it's the same VAs in Ai no Shiren, so that's a deliberate decision by the voice directors, a decision that flies in the face of their "without love, you'll never know which one of us has the penis" thing.
I mean having a low pitch voice doesn't necessarily mean Zepar is a male, anymore so than having a high pitched voice doesn't necessarily make Furfur a woman. You're the one assigning the roles by voices alone.

(By the way, this is stupid and the Umineko fandom pretty much had this discussion for over a goddamn year and it amounted to nothing. Don't be bad thread.)

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

ZiegeDame posted:

40-18-6=16

So Rudolf could be as old as 42 and still not possibly know Kyrie/Asumu six years prior to Battler being born.
I'm pretty certain the "six years" is reference to Battler leaving the family for that amount of time, as others have stated. Kyrie's hell was 18 years long because you have to account for the time Rudolf and Asumu were married, alongside the time Battler vanished from the family (meaning Asumu's influence still lingered, as Rudolf's family was incomplete because of this.) There's really no reference to how long Kyrie and Rudolf exactly knew each other before Rudolf began two-timing them simultaneously.

Point is Rudolf was definitely not in high school when all this poo poo went down. I said it before, but I'll say it again: he knew what he was doing and age doesn't excuse his despicable actions. Even his daughter is disgusted by him.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Beds everywhere! It's like the Ushiromiya mansion was made by an 11-year-old playing The Sims.
Now I'm imagining Maria playing the Sims, and Erika bossily telling her that she's a moron for adding beds into study rooms.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Cyouni posted:

Did Battler ever get a detective declaration/authority? None of the factors that have been noted to apply based on that seem to have applied in the first four episodes, and Erika specifically noted that without detective authority she's playing on the same field as Battler was.
The concept was only introduced in EP 5, but in general you're meant to interpret Battler's viewpoint as the only reliable one in the context of the narrative between EP 1-4. That's not say he can't be fooled, as Knox allows for differing viewpoints/interpretations, but anything that happens around him has no embellishments unless the narrative gives a reason as to why that would happen.

Erika, though this is just my interpretation of what "authority" means, is kind of on the same field now. Anything that happens around her isn't an embellished scene, but she lacks the authority to say that she cannot be fooled by people playing dead. That's how she is now on the same level as Battler was in EP1-4.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Shinji117 posted:

Metagaming murderous detectives are the worst.
To be fair to Erika, she didn't proclaim herself the detective this game.

She also didn't proclaim it on purpose so that she could allow herself to be the culprit.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Source contains spoilers so I won't link but this is a pretty good fan comic.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

EagerSleeper posted:

I was only joking about the pistols...
Never joke about anything in Umineko, cause it'll probably turn out to be true.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

tiistai posted:

And then they all lived happily ever after, except Ange.
Ange is gonna make her own Golden Land. With hookers, and blackjack.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

resurgam40 posted:

Oh, come on now, who the hell are you? Can this series really afford to have any more new drat characters, at this late stage?
:getin:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
If EP3 is the best of the question arcs, EP7 is the best of the answer arcs. In general, the odd number episodes of Umineko are by far the strongest because Ryukishi had twice as much time to write 3, 5 and 7 compared to 2, 4, 6 and 8 (EP1 is not counted in this because he theoretically had unlimited time to write it for its debut)

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Van Dine basically got into writing mysteries because he read them and was like "man these suck, I bet I could do this better." He was well known for being a harsh critic of all things, and pretty much alienated most of his friends and colleagues by being such a dick.

If Knox wrote rules out of a respect for the genre and what it could be, Van Dine wrote his based on what he thought detective fiction should be.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Lannister vibes... rising...
I mean yeah, honestly, Ushiromiyas are basically Lannisters.

-Was built upon wealth but have squandered it, so they only give off the appearance of having a lot of money.
-They swear to live on codes of honor and pride, but are immensely scummy in reality.
-The women are far more competent than the men, but the men are the ones in charge because patriarchy.

And there's more but that would dive into both GOT and Umineko spoilers :v:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Also while this update is still fresh, shout out to this moment.

ProfessorProf posted:

"So you're saying this piece isn't your subordinate, like Erika."

:drat:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
The correct answer is Will and Lion are both the best.

(artist is marrten on deviantart/einsbern on tumblr, but there are spoilers abound so i wont directly link.)

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I'm not gonna get into the current conversation until some more progress is made on this story thread, buuuut

While I am an ardent stan of Ryukishi's sprites being good, I must be honest and say that "young Kinzo" is simply... well...

Not great.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Hey I'm happy you guys like this update, this is just a friendly reminder to listen to Ballad Continuer when Beatrice leaves the ship.

In fact just listen to all the music up to this point because EP 7 has some loving amazing tracks.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

BurningStone posted:

I had forgotten about his reaction to Eva's ambitions. I still don't think he ever likes anybody. And only Nanjo puts up with him.
Genji and Kumasawa too, given they both were in on Kinzo's secret and he trusted them enough to keep it.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

ZiegeDame posted:

You know, thinking about it again, at any point in this story did Kinzo actually tell Bice that he has a wife and two kids?
When talking with her on the island he outright said he had no family. So yeah, it wouldn't surprise me at all that he lied to Bice and never actually said he had a double life.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Carpator Diei posted:

On the semantic level, there seem to be quite a few hints that the two are ultimately rather alike in a lot of ways, perhaps more than both would like to admit; wasn't there a scene where it is implied that one reason for Rosa's aggressive reaction to Maria's witch tic is that it reminds her of her own occultish escapism as a child?
I don't remember this off the top of my head, but there is already a solid story reason as to why Rosa does not like hearing the name "Beatrice."

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Jessica's asthma, in my opinion, isn't entirely fake. She definitely has medicine for it that Nanjo gives her in the earlier episodes. I think the comment is more that she fakes it from time to time to get her way in certain situations.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
You would think someone would go "hey maybe we should build a fence around these giant rear end cliffsides that anyone can fall from" but, well, no.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

KataraniSword posted:

Like stated, though, aside from Quality DEEN Animation, Higurashi's anime isn't too harsh of a diversion from the source material. It's definitely an option if you don't want to sit through a manga or VN dumping :words: at you.
The people who read the VN and then went to anime pretty much hated the latter. It doesn't change anything, but it cuts a lot. That said it's still a very good standalone product, and the answer arc anime (Higurashi Kai) is especially fantastic.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Kytrarewn posted:

What we do know is that Rosa and Beatrice2 were approximately the same age
Nnnot really. Rosa stated she was in middle school in 1967, so she was probably only around 12-13 years old. Beatrice 2 was most likely somewhere between 17-19 at the youngest, around the same age as Rudolf.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Deckard6 posted:

And then he showed up next year, white horse and all. They road into the sun set to live happily ever after. The end.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Man I feel so drat old, I still remember getting into it in the space between EP 3 and EP 4 and obsessing over it, writing theories and reading crazy predictions. What a wild ride and it's been fun to relive it in a way through this LP.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I think the saddest thing about all this is if Shannon asked Rudolf for a number to call Battler (I assume he has some means to contact Asumu's parents in case of emergencies) he probably would be ok with giving it to her. However she assumes even asking for it would bear no fruit and gives up without trying, resigning herself to waiting endlessly.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Honestly I never liked the "George hid the letter" interpretation because it really does lessen the impact of Battler's actions in all this. It ruins the whole sin of "he forgot about Shannon" if there's a twist that he did remember, but George was a dick and Shannon just got played. Plus it unnecessarily demonizes George to almost a scapegoat degree to my eyes. George isn't a super great guy as he presents himself to be, but he's not malicious.

Ryukishi himself said in an interview that he was aware of the differing interpretations and leaves it up to the reader to decide. Without love it cannot be seen indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
For the record, Kinzo died in 1985 before the conference of that year. This is why when 1986 rolls around, the adults of the group are suspicious about how Kinzo isn't showing his face for the second year in a row. This is mentioned in early EP 5.

• Locked thread