Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
"The detective has a right to investigate all crime scenes" - is that true of golden age mystery fiction in general? In terms of genre expectations, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013

Alopex posted:

I cried a little.

I cried a lot.

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013

lotus circle posted:

There's actually a graph for all of this, but it contains spoilers so it can't be posted yet.

The thread should come up with your own graph! And then we can compare!

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013

Qrr posted:

I would just like to note that I'm very disappointed that Dlanor is so happy to have helped murder 5 people. Why is she even still helping Erika? Isn't she supposed to aid the detective?

Dlanor is just the literal embodiment of Knox, which is impartial. I don't think she's particularly "happy" about the murders, she just... gets really excited about her job.

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013

bman in 2288 posted:

Then perhaps you'd take a cat picture as payment?

ahaha.wav

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Hahaha I'm OK! Thanks though. It's rare that I get to talk about this kind of thing, so I'm grateful to this story. It's certainly helped me articulate stuff that I haven't considered worthy of putting words to til now.

:sympathy:

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013

resurgam40 posted:

it'd be fine if they were one offs or one note, but nobody's proved to be that.

resurgam I'm laughing, not at you, but the idea that this complaint about Umineko basically boils down to "oh my god, so much character development! too many seemingly gimmicky characters that grow into well-rounded, three-dimensional people! it's too much!"

EagerSleeper posted:

However, judging by ShKannon's situation, it's possible for multiple characters to be tied to each thing. You can finally have a dissociative mackerel with multiple personalities. You can have as many characters on this one island as the eye can see. You can fit even more on top of that too because vision is a nonobjective perception of reality. Infinite characters. Infinite anime. Infinitely ahahaha'ing. Imagine.

I can imagine it and it is GLORIOUS.

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013

Hopeford posted:

Please tell me that's not right. I can't be that old. It feels like I was reading this yesterday as it was coming out. It ca-can't be that old. RIGHT.

Umineko's 10th anniversary is August 17th, 2017! We should do something to celebrate! I know Mangagamer is releasing hardcopy versions of the Question Arc (on the 18th, weirdly enough).

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
That is a kickass avatar/text combo. Good job to the witch who did it!

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Sweet Valley High foresaw S=K

Hah, nice. Welcome to the land of seeing seacats everywhere you go.

Seriously, nowadays I feel like I relate everything I consume back to Umineko.

(Also I follow Shing Yin Kor too! So nice to see a fellow fan.)

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013

resurgam40 posted:

gloriousness

This makes me want to simultaneously give you a standing ovation AND group hug you and Battler at the same time.

:sympathy:

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
I feel you, Pool. :sympathy:

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
Petra, you have great posts and I'm enjoying them! :D I'm getting a lot of different angles to consider from this discussion.

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013

quote:

The long, long tale she had just finished telling was being given a massive applause. It went on and on. And on and on. The stage slowly sunk into the darkness of oblivion.

This is us, isn't it? Listening to her long, long story, long after she finished telling it. As long as there are people who read Umineko no Naku Koro ni, as long as there are people who understand her, the massive applause will never end.

Rest in peace in your cat box, our most beloved witch.

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
Oh Petra, just wanted to give you a heads up that I sent you a friend request on Discord. /been going through and adding various umineko folks

xxlicious fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 9, 2017

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
Thank you so much for all your hard work in running this thread, prof! It's been amazing to follow along and see everyone's different reactions to this story. It's a precious experience that wouldn't have happened without you!

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
Thank you so much for this LP, Prof. It's been so incredible to follow the discussions and slowly develop a greater understanding of Umineko and well, life. I can't emphasize enough how grateful I am that the magic of this thread exists. You brought together a bunch of people who Umineko touched in so many different ways and I'm so glad that I got to meet all of you <3

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
Happy birthday, our beloved witch, Beatrice. Completing this thread, full of people trying to understand and reach her, is probably one of the best presents she could receive. Thank you again prof for planning this out so perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013

D3m3 posted:

the thread ends on the day in its title.

Holy poo poo I didn't notice. That's so amazing. Love it, prof.

• Locked thread