Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

resurgam40 posted:

:sigh: Really? That's how we're translating this, oh translation team? I gather the intent of the language here- of someone who likes exposing secrets that others want to hide- but do you really want to cheapen that word by using it in this way? I don't know that I'm comfortable here with that. But still... horrible person is horrible, as expected of the pawn of the increasingly capricious witch of miracles.

So the gold is real, as proclaimed in red... and will become a real problem, if how such extravagant wealth is usually portrayed in fiction is any indication- particularly detective fiction. The more valuable the riches are, the greater its "curse"... and the more blood pools around it. Congrats, Battler?

That's basically the same way she says it in japanese and also in the other translation. Erika is a bad person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

I once read that Ryushiki designed the female characters this way because one of his female friends said she'd cosplay the characters in this VN.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Helping out

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Holy poo poo my dude

I'm so glad I gave you that avatar.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

idonotlikepeas posted:

Am I supposed to be a little mystified at this point about exactly what the gold truth is? Because I admit that I don't understand it. It's something only the gamemaster uses, and sometimes is better than other kinds of truth and sometimes worse? It doesn't explain a lot. Is this like someone who already read the book giving you hints about the ending?

For the record, it's still hotly debated exactly what the gold truth is in the Umineko fandom. There's multiple interpretations!

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

lotus circle posted:

I don't care what anyone says, I love Ryukishi's art. You can especially see how he improves over time going from EP 1 to EP 5 and onward.

Are you sure because there's some real bad sprites later on.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Fates End posted:

Well, there's still Bernkastel's typewriter, and for me, at least, that's the one piece that made the exacts of her connection to Higurashi fall into place.

Oi, that thing in the spoiler hasn't come up yet, please edit it out.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Tender Child Loins posted:

I was already in a :smith: mood but now... oh man.

Okay. Unrelated, but I have to ask,what's with your username?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Tender Child Loins posted:

A few years ago, I posted in a FYAD name change thread and Zach (I think) stuck me with this. I just haven't had a good idea for a name change, plus I can't justify spending the money to do it. v:shobon:v

give me a week and I will personally paypal you the money so I never have to see your username again. I mean this with all respect, you're one of the best posters in this thread, every post you make is fantastic, but OH MY GOD I CANNOT STAND YOUR USERNAME I HAVE CONVULSIONS EVERY TIME I SEE IT

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Kind of feels a bit overreaching to talk too much about this, but there seems to be plenty of room for Sayo to be intersex—and maybe the weird gender poo poo going on with the character is them trying to figure out what kind of presentation is more comfortable. I'm not interested in talking about the specifics of their body, because that's not important here. Sayo being intersex (but possibly raised as a girl for the first part of their life) could be why the personalities conflict so much despite being interdependent; why "Why am I unable to love" is in red, if "love" means something more sexual; why Shannon and Kanon are portrayed with somewhat gender-essentialized personalities; and why the character is so obsessed with keeping to rules.

All of those anxieties and traits could be a reaction to being forced into a binary gender at birth, and later rejecting it but not having the vocabulary or support to understand what that means. Gender and its constraints are definitely strong themes in this work (as well as in many witch tales), so having the core character be outside, but looking in in multiple ways would be totally fitting.

I don't mean to take away from a trans reading of the character, which I think would also be an amazing outcome for this story! Just some thoughts I had while catching up on the latest couple of pages. (Also hi, it's TCL! But not anymore. WR? Wrrryyyy?! I'm so awful at naming things.)

Witchcore Ricepunk is my favorite username and is the best. You have solved my ills and poured soothing balm upon the wounds of my mind. Thank you.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Medusa didn't get a happy ending. But maybe Sayo can, if she can escape the prison that she herself designed and walk into the sunlight wearing her true face, or at least something close to true. Then maybe she can tell me what that's like.

... do you need a hug, Ricepunk?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Are any of you witches available to answer a potentially spoilery question via DM?

If ypu have discord, hit me up. Nea#4057

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

resurgam40 posted:

Oh, come on now, who the hell are you? Can this series really afford to have any more new drat characters, at this stage?

But haven't you loved all of them?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

quote:

Fate's End - Today at 6:28 PM
witchdrunk ricelore is back.(edited)
SHAIA-Beatrice - Today at 6:37 PM
ih god my dlord
TwilliK - Today at 6:39 PM
I'm pretty sure we don't deserve wcrp, but I'm so glad we have them(edited)
Dr Pepper - Today at 6:42 PM
Wcrp is a Treasure

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

:lol: Is this from discord? I don't recognize any of the usernames from this thread, except Fate's End.

(and dlord)

Yeah, this is the Witchcord.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

ZiegeDame posted:

I was bracing myself there for Shannon, Kanon, or both to show up at the end there. The fact that the game itself cut the scene off there has me thinking it won't be so simple.

On the subject of Lion's gender, I think we all might want to be careful about applying our present-day Western ideas about gender to someone in 1980s Japan. I personally get less the feeling that Lion identifies as non-binary, and more that they have a gender but doesn't believe it should have any bearing on how they are treated or what they can do.

Queer people existed in the 80s, you know.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

No more than 17 humans exist on this island!!

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Hi, everyone else has put it way more politely than me so I don't feel the need to

That was the worst goddamn these I've ever seen and I think worse of you for reading it

Please think about how your words can affect other people

And try not to poo poo on people at the lowest moment of their

YOu obviously haven't thought about the fact that real people go through this poo poo and you're equating having a bad situation to being a bad person

I've personally had to help talk my closest friends out of suicide

And I'm legitimately angry at you.

You made me stop lurking to post this

Go gently caress yourself, rear end in a top hat
Nea

Nea fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

ZiegeDame posted:

You wanna get into a debate about nature vs. nurture or just trust trans people when we say we were born this way?

Yo, as a fellow trans lady, I'm not willing to fully discount environment in the development of gender identity.
Also, the helicopter joke was reeeallly unnessecary.

Nea fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 20, 2017

• Locked thread