Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
The types of crops you can grow profitably on that small of a scale are very labor and resource intensive. The crops that are not super labor and resource intensive require thousands of acres to grow profitably. There are reasons why you don't see 15 acre farms that are not someone's vanity project.

People struggle to pull down a 60k net profit on 1500 acres. The nost profitable thing to do with this land that is still legal is to continue to lease it out. You are not going to support a farming operation on 15 acres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
With labor it varies by crop. I mostly have exposure to dryland grain farming, where the main inputs are water if you have access and rights to it, fuel, fertilizer, pesticides, herbicides, cash to pay labor, machine hours (tractors and implements will break down in the middle of planting of harvesting and leave you scrambling) etc. You will need a large shop and lots of mechanical skills if you are doing mechanized farming.

If you have no experience and are starting from scratch you need to understand that people with experience who inherit good sized plots of land along with a barn and machines are struggling to keep those farms, so your dreams of making a middle class salary as a "side hustle" are not in line with the realities of farming today. Many families have a spouse working off farm to support a money losing operation. Maybe you should try living and working on someone else's farm if you want to learn the business.

• Locked thread