Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

TV didn't have to be good in the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

gently caress da Mods posted:

remenber when martin fingered eddies butthole and then freddie was like grandpa??? and martin goes freddie we need to get u ready for ur spelling bee lick grandpappys finger its full of nutritional poopoo and freddie starts sucking and then niles is like LOL

Typical. That plot is ripped off from an old Gunsmoke.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

I like that episode of the Simpsons where Sideshow Bob's brother shows up and it's David Hyde Pierce basically doing Niles

There are at least two explicit Frasier references that I can think of off the top of my head in there, aside from the general snooty banter between them the whole episode

I don't remember the exact exchange but:

"I went to Harvard, you went to clown college."

"I'll thank you not to refer to Yale that way."

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I watched some episodes because of this thread and I wanted to mention how weird the live in English health professional who makes breakfast and does laundry is.

I don't have any comments related to reptile eggs.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

What, is yours German or something?

I prefer a certain Swiss efficiency.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

cheers was a good show

I like Coach and Woody but obviously Coach was better.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

does anybody ever talk about how much of an absentee father frasier is

Is he? I'd assume that would be a sticking point with Lilith and she seems pleased. The show isn't about that part of his life mostly.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I wish I had it but one of my all time favorite shops from here was a Vicki Lewis movie poster that was amended to Pushing 40 from Pushing Tin.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Newsradio is the best sitcom that has ever been or will ever be.

Dave Foley 4ever

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Finding this thread (about Frasier, not Gilmore Girls, wtf) is giving me life. I watched it on a lark while
I didn't find Niles and Daphne getting together nearly as intolerable as all of you either, nor her mother, although I agree both weren't the high points of the show.

I like the Niles and Daphne stuff but I binge watched it all for the first time quite recently. I can imagine it being annoying to wait a week for new chuckles only to get a subplot you didn't care for in the first place. There was a lot of it too.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

well why not posted:

She's one of the funniest people in one of the funniest shows ever made, so 'emotional range' is kinda a moot point.

Yeah she is perfect for the role and it's a crucial role on the show

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

that was robin williams dood

Fookin took his time about it.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Frasier saves Zion from the machines.

After a series of sick barefoot raves.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Sagacity posted:

Just finished the series finale. After Frasier, Seinfeld and News Radio I'd really like to know what other older shows are equally good :(

The Dick van Dyke show is on Netflix. It's a variety show about the writers of a variety show.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It is hard to imagine Niles making tons of cash

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That's David Ogden Stiers you cretin

Police Automaton posted:

Major Charles Emerson Winchester III. God I loved M.A.S.H. haven't seen anything quite like that since. The dialog was gold.

:respek:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

I knew that but I didn't know if everyone else would instantly recognize the actor's name, but "the snooty guy who was basically a fatter balder Frasier" is a pretty accurate description IMO

I was sure you did. Just a harmless jape.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

mojo1701a posted:

Even funnier when you remember that Winchester was also from Boston.

If any blood was ever blue

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

mojo1701a posted:

Too bad Tim Allen's a conservative shithead. I like him as an actor enough (I may just be thinking of Galaxy Quest).

He's very personable and funny.

And a convicted coke dealer. Probably a coincidence.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Still Fluxing posted:

They are compadres, amigos, hermanos. And you always know that, "if you get one, you get that other one."

They're adorable. Mostly Niles.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Still Fluxing posted:

I had a hopeless crush on Niles when I was fourteen. Because he *is* adorable.

He's probably the best guy on the show.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

...and the pitch! posted:

He's probably the best guy on the show.

Or Eddie

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Frasier speaks Klingon at Freddy's bar mitzvah which is what I was responding to. I think everyone else is talking about when he first meets Fay and they dump sugar into the wine to make it Jewish and Niles just lights it up with Yiddish.

I must have slept through that one. I'll have to go back for the Niles Yiddish Explosion.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Oh, thanks very much. What a mensch!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

My kugel will be dry as the Sinai.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Nocheez posted:

David Hyde Pierce in 2009, when my wife's cousin tried to sneak a picture of him on the subway.

He looks a lot like Picardo in that "gently caress you taking that" photo of him.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Frasier has good characters but Gilligan's Island level plots.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Mister Ferley never did bust in there but it seemed imminent in most episodes.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I never heard of that but sounds like a great idea. I hate wet popcorn though so it would need to be a powder.

I bet you can get it pretty hot without soaking the fluff out. I'd love to try but I shed my air popper during a move. Rookie mistake.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

My wife is a popcorn enthusiast and can make it in a regular loving pot, just popcorn and oil and what seems like a never enough shaking. It's like loving witchcraft watching her do it as it never burns.

I actually have those same skills (surely to a lesser degree) but it is a pain in the rear end.

I grew up was born in the 70s.

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 22, 2017

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I really wish niles and daphne didn't end up together, the show would have been better off for it.

Oh man do we have to fight about this too? I don't wanna.

:shobon:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

It definitely went downhill after they got together, but it was still such a great moment. They just had to write around it better. They basically dumped all the Standard Sitcom Couple plots on them and it wasn't a good fit.

Yeah 100%. The writers had a lot of different ideas and all of them weren't great.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Daphne was more worried to see her mom than the jilted groom. There's some funny stuff in that RV.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Overall I think the best character is Martin. John Mahoney nails it so perfectly in so many scenes. "Ooh, HAM!", telling the ex-fiancee he was an astronaut, etc. It's just his small quips and interjections that are

A super cute moment is when Marty sits in the chair Frasier replaces his lounger with and goes "oh boy, I could have lived with this just fine".

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Frasier is only supposed to be 40 years old at the beginning of the show. Kelsey Grammer was 38 when it started.

I was sure Grammer was much older than 40 and laughed at that detail. Oy is my face ever red.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The teacher is Gruber from the Higgins Boys and Gruber. I appreciated that. You don't see him much these days.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Gotta say, he loving nailed it.

Marty isn't wearing white socks. Fail.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Daphne is meant to have some credentials and she is a servant.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Like that episode with the parking garage. Completely unreasonable response to something he had to have run in to before but his principles.

Still, I love Luis Guzman so I'm conflicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

For a lot of the run Frasier is on Seattle AM radio and he still had that apartment and a live in physical therapist/maid and and.