Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the second half of the Christopher Lloyd 2-parter opens with coach describing the previous episode and coach-ing it all up but there's no laugh track and it makes the whole thing bleak and awful instead of funny

*picture of the artist and Diane flirting*
coach: I'm worried! .....I can't remember where my daughter lives!

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

lmao sam shot he own rear end

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

this show has gotten so much better so quickly

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

can you imagine a world where kelsey grammar didn't secretly murder nicky colasanto in '85 to earn a more prominent role on Cheers?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

spoiling a 35 year old show because it took me by surprise but fras pulling a gun on sam after getting back from Italy was super weird

Of course after that Frasier just becomes a sad sack doing Charlie Work for the bar and the show just....keeps going. Later that night when falling asleep I put Frasier on and it was the episode with Diane Chambers, and the whole scene where he's freaking out in Niles' office makes so much more sense. "You...DID tell her how that made you feel, didn't you?"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the best lil joke in that episode is in the play when ned/norm walks in and gets a "hey ned" from play-sam

then the Diane character walks in and the whole bar shouts "mary anne!"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

then it gets dark

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Insufficient romping in the fens and spinneys.

*pops a series of balloons with increasing panic*

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

hey cool it's time for my monthly "mel is godawful literally from the first scene she is introduced in, you guys talking about her 'becoming a villain' are fuckin' nuts" post

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

also donny was totally cool in every episode he was in, like he even dropped the lawsuits after a solid 22 minutes, and his resolution/failed courthouse wedding is a much better and funnier coda to being left at the altar than frasier "well i guess i'll just go back to the bar and see everyone almost every night and literally not have any emotional resolution to this until a decade later in an entirely different sitcom" crane

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Sherry or Daphne's mom, which is the worst human being

what the gently caress, daphne's mom by far

sherry was just a goofball

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

simon is a trash person but he's pretty fun in several episodes just for how effortlessly he riles frasier while martin still pals around with him

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

donnie was great all the time, treated daphne like a saint, helped niles get out of total destitution during his divorce to maris, and humored frasier more than most people would bother

just because he reacts to getting super frasier'd in a more human way than frasier did does not make him a bad person at all, imo, although obviously they turn him into someone who is perpetually hung up on daphne for a throwaway joke later

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

somebody should make a 16-bit adventure game where you're the crane boys trying to solve a mystery while hosting a dinner party and your overall score is based on how long each of the guests stays

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

nuclear take: the garage episode is....good and funny

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Timby posted:

The early seasons of Frasier have a lot of gay panic (the second-season episode with the gay KACL manager, who Frasier tries to hook up with Daphne without realizing that the manager is trying to bone Frasier, comes to mind), which thankfully got toned down as the show went on.

I think it's a huuuuge stretch to convey anything in that episode as "gay panic", everyone is fine with the station manager being gay and Roz only lets Frasier dig himself a huge hole leading him on because he was being a dick to everyone. Frasier was the butt of all the jokes because of the misunderstanding, nobody was making fun of gay people or homosexuality. If anything I'd say the later episode where Martin pretends to be gay so Frasier can get a date is worse because it leans far more on stereotypes (and the entire premise is Frasier-creep as gently caress).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

WampaLord posted:

The point that it would be worse if they had left that out is kind of my whole point. Tacking on a disclaimer doesn't make the basic premise of the comedy any less homophobic.

as a man who is into dick that has watched all of frasier several times i again must disagree that the comedy in it is homophobic, the closest time being the opera episode with martin i mentioned earlier. the only trans* joke i can remember off the top of my head is also a little cringeworthy but not actually transphobic - "what about your brother niles?" "he's abroad now" "eeesh, that must've hurt" - it's straight up empathizing with someone he assumed had transitioned, even though it's blunt and ineloquent

out of the four episodes that deal with mistaken sexuality, literally zero of them make it into a punchline at all, and all of the gay characters are presented as respectable (and generally handsome AF).

compare this to friends episodes from like, years later. having so many out gay actors on the show really, really informed frasier for the better and it weakens media criticism to just throw around claims of homophobia when the text really doesn't support it at all (especially if you go "well the fact that the text doesn't support it makes it worse")

Bloodplay it again posted:

The first season of Cheers had the episode called The Boys in the Bar where one of Sam's baseball buddies comes out of the closet and everyone is worried Cheers is gonna turn into a gay bar. It was nominated for a primetime emmy as well as an AGLA (Alliance for Gay and Lesbian Artists) and WGA award, winning the latter two.

Nearly 30 years later, The Onion AV Club reviewed the episode and found it to be distasteful. v:shobon:v

this episode is kind of painful to watch these days and it really sucks that diane is 10000% in the right the whole time when she's such a gratingly annoying, generally wrong person for the rest of the series

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

WampaLord posted:

I was talking about Seinfeld specifically in that example, my man.

good christ i'm dumb sometimes :cripes:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Man remember how niles kept giving Maris the time of the day after their divorce like a big stupid idiot simp

lmao and it implicated him in a drat murder ahahha

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Dinner at Eight Ish is a fun episode of Cheers and starts a long tradition of Crane dinner parties. Then immediately following it is an episode with John Cleese where Frasier does his Yum-Yum role from The Mikado (later referenced in the episode with Bulldog’s pranks and the lizard).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

with very few exceptions daphne and niles together were really fine and the suggestion to 'fix' that with more poppy is so staggering that i'm assuming it must be a master-level troll

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i like that late episode with all of frasier's exes and his mom because it's like the only time frasier acknowledges the ~~zany~~ level of gun violence around that season of cheers

iirc it's something like sam gets a gun pulled on him (i think possibly twice in a single episode, also i think he shoots his self in he butt lol), hester pulls a gun on diane, and then the season premiere of the next season has fras pulling a heater on sam again

so to see hester trying to be like "none of you could live up to how cool i was" and diane shout YOU PULLED A GUN ON ME THE FIRST TIME WE MET! was pretty cathartic lol

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

please don't use "sheldon" and "lovable" in the same sentence in this, a thread about Frasier, an actually good show

Lilith is great because she is an socially terrible cold jerk from her introduction in Cheers and seems to just refine how classy and witty of a cold jerk she is with age.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

How much of that is just that Martin has spent more time around Lillith? He has to talk to Lillith when she appears with his grandson. Is there even anything that suggests Martin has seen Maris since her wedding day with Niles? I'd find the woman who insults me in my home more annoying that the weird woman I only ever hear about second-hand.

they all run into her on the cruise and in a few other episodes, just because the audience doesn't see her doesn't mean martin doesn't

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

what? no

niles visited him once a week-ish

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

whenever Netflix is like "Are you still watching Frasier?" i get indignant

i will never stop watching frasier, foul robot swine

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I don't think their visitation was as cut and dried as "every other weekend" or "three weeks a year" or whatever, Frasier and Lilith are both very well off professionals that could arguably care for their child's needs better alone than shunting him off across the country several times a year. When Freddie shows up for Christmas or a visit Frasier is always freaking out and trying to make it a red letter event, but at the same time the show really goes out of its way to display the increasing levels of alienation he feels from his son culminating in the "first camping trip" that wasn't actually Freddie's first.

Speaking of Freddie episodes, the spelling bee one drives me nuts because everyone knows the national spelling bee is hosted in D.C., not fuckin' Seattle.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Cosmik Slop posted:

Topped off by that burst of bizarro-logic where she finds herself charmed afterwards by Frasier's "persistence"

I thought it was more him desperately trying to figure out why she dumped him, which made her re-examine why it happened and realize she was afraid of how into Frasier she was, and she tries to get back with him but with the quandary of why he was dumped solved Frasier realizes he’s just not that into her and dumps her. Or maybe he ends up hitting on her friend or something. It’s been a while.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

One of the bad non-DaphneFam/Kirby episodes is the one where the Crane boys take an adult school class for Auto Maintenance and they act like dipshits the entire time.

It's supposed to be a role reversal but it just comes off as classist.

counterpoint: it's a great episode, it does not come off as classist at all unless you have terminal internet poisoning, and it guest stars the hippie teacher from freaks and geeks

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

b-b-b-but they passed notes in french!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

“too cool”? that’s what you took from that episode? Lmao

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Kate was great, the Moon clan is great, Ronnie is great, Sherry is great - the only characters/episode I hate is the damnable Greek restaurant one. It's so drat lazy if the central plot didn't revolve around Frasier meddling in someone's life it would seem like an episode of a completely different (and much worse) sitcom.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

early seasons Niles is a fuckin’ savage, laying down lethal burns on everyone around him

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Not a Children posted:

They made her too annoying to be sympathetic. Frasier is, as always, being an rear end, but Mary is just plain irksome and never gets the audience on her side once the reveal drops.

At least they knew to get rid of her pretty quickly

"get rid of her"? she's literally in two episodes, they 'get rid of her' in the very first one, she barely qualifies as a recurring character

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

goooooldfingerrrr
he's the man
the man with the midas touch

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Niles/Daphne stuff isn't great but it was handled about as well as it could be, especially including the fat-camp resolution and psychic test episodes. It at least acknowledges the differences between Niles' idealized fantasies and reality, no matter how well he thought they were aligned. Sure, it doesn't go too deep into any of it, but it's a sitcom - the fact that they called it out as being unhealthy at all is a pretty huge deal IMO.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

Halloween episodes of any show > Christmas episodes of any show

E I thought I remembered hating Sherry, but I'm a few episodes into her arc now and she's loving delightful, Three Dates and a Breakup (episode 4:20 :2bong:) is what made me actively love her

i love sherry more on each rewatch

she's a genuinely warm and bubbly person and dammit fras, banjo is cool

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Unless you're Kermit the Frog you should not be playing the banjo indoors.

this seems entirely arbitrary and is also insanely wrong, sorry

don't you stan for mel all the time ITT? i think maybe you're just kind of a bad person?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Honestly maybe I haven't been around enough conservative Jews but who would flip their poo poo at, like, Christmas trees and poo poo in the house???

it wasn't that it was in the house, it's that she thought fras was jewish (freddy is, and she met him while he was buying a menorah iirc) and her mom wouldn't approve of her dating a non-jewish person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Timby posted:

Nah, Freddie isn't in "Merry Christmas, Mrs. Moskowitz," it's just that Niles and Frasier put up this whole huge shindig of pretending to be Jewish so Faye's mother thinks they're a Jewish family, to the point of Frasier coming up with increasingly convoluted reasons to keep her away from the kitchen oven, because he's told her it's a brisket when it's actually a ham. And then Mrs. Moskowitz discovers Niles, in full Christmas pageant costume, in the powder room.

Freddy isn't in it at all, you're right, but it is still kicked off by Frasier buying a gift for him like I said - worded it in an extremely pre-coffee way, though. Lilith is Jewish and so is Freddy.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 18, 2019