Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

A Frasier novel would have to be written above the actual vocabulary level of the show in order to not feel dumbed down. People think of Frasier as a “smart show” but it’s actually just a very silly show with big words and waistcoats.

I mean it's a smart show but so was Cheers; the veneer of sophistication is unrelated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'm not eloquent with words, but the payoffs to Frasier's jokes seem clever and tickle my brian's pleasure centre, even when they're silly.

Big bang theory's payoffs seem like they're trying hard to be clever, but they mostly just irritate me. I'm not sure why, but it's mostly jokes that make me roll my eyes out of my skull.

This disregards the fact I find the likeability of the casts on different ends of the spectrum, which definitely influences things.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 12, 2019

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'd call Frasier "well-choreographed" before I'd call it smart.

That's good too, it really is a farce a lot of the time.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

I still remember the verbal beating Martin gave them at that steakhouse for their foofy classist bullshit. Our house growing up was more like Roseanne than anything you'd see on Frasier, so that scene really etched itself in there.

Weird, the stuff that sticks with you.

They WERE being loving ridiculous too, I've legit never heard of anyone thinking steak is beneath them (certain cuts maybe, but it was a steakhouse!!)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

wit posted:

The weirdest thing about Frasier to me was Daphne's English phrases being poo poo no English person ever says but are like cartoon English people noises, like all the made up words in harry potter. The rest of the show seemed pretty clever, especially the comedy of errors episodes, and of course the general "you can have big words and fine tastes but still be a dumb jackass sometimes" tone Martin added. But that part just sticks out as some kind of Big Bang Theory prototype. I guess it was a less global era in media and American audiences really didn't know wtf English people sounded like. Maybe the script just had directions like DAPHNE MAKES VAGUE ENGLAND NOISES instead of lines for her sometimes. "Withershins upon the tullybottom as me old dad used to say Mister Crane!"

It's just really, really funny!

Daphne sucks out loud a fair few eps, for her English stuff and especially the indignant crap

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Martin saying Lillith was worse than Maris is pretty weird considering everything we later learn about Maris. But then again, Maris at least seems to try to be pleasant in social occasions, and most of her issues seem to stem from a LOT of mental issues that she legitimately can't help, while Lillith is deliberately cold and rude despite knowing better and being perfectly capable of at least trying to be pleasant. (and funnily enough tends to end up failing as badly as Frasier)

Lilith is a goddamn smokeshow and legitimately funny when verbally sparring with Frasier.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ugh please stop, I'm begging you all, this is one of my safe spaces from that horror of a gently caress poo poo show.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oh man that's lame

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That whole slut shaming thing making her be pregnant really brings Frasier down to an A-.

Fuckin fight me.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Which is the best Daphne episode?

The ones she doesn't/briefly appears in.

She's not funny, the character fuckin sucks, fight me.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Cosmik Slop posted:

Am I the only person on earth who didn't think Daphne's mom was that bad

I can't even stand Daphne.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It was sort of like the Moon nonsense in later Dick Tracy.

I can't remember what thread you mentioned that in, but every time I explain it to people they 100% think I'm loving with them.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Communist Toast posted:

Kelsey Grammar came into the cafe I work at today. I was absolutely freaking out on the inside. He ordered an oatmilk latte. None of my co workers knew who he was, the only person I shared the excitement with was the one other customer that came in as he left.

How was his timbre, is his natural voice basically Frasier?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah well yknow what she could also enjoy a dog and a ballgame.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

WampaLord posted:

it's fantastic. i remember me and my family dying laughing watching that poo poo

i always respect a good pratfall and david hyde pierce did some wonderful pratfalls

Incredibly talented actor, the fact he 1000% looks like Kelsey Grammer's brother is pure icing.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Daphne sucks

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I didn't mind Kate, she had kind of a cool character.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The steakhouse one is the worst episode, even over the awful Greek wedding.

Being too upscale for a steak dinner is just dumb, the tie cutting joke is dumb, I hate it all.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It was amicable?

I thought Frasier seems bitter as hell.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Richard M Nixon posted:

He seems bitter about her as a wife (hence the divorce - remember that she cheated), but I don't remember him ever saying that the divorce itself was challenging.

Well I guess that makes sense, admitted infidelity sure makes it open and shut.

e: I guess when I think about a tough divorce I'm not necessarily thinking the legal battle, but you're probably right.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 22, 2019

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

codo27 posted:

Shut the gently caress up. There really was a game? I googled it earlier but didn't see anything that looked real

:ughh:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

This is maybe the least funny thing I've ever seen on these forums (I know, turn on yupr moniter!!)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Like loving poo poo Niles wasn't smashing insane amounts of blow.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

ruddiger posted:

Joker, 2019 d. Phillips

That really was amazing casting, goddamn they look alike.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

ruddiger posted:

It’s real. The kid who got Roz pregnant tells her his parents want to meet her and when she does she quietly freaks out about their gigantic noses. Frasier calms her by pointing out their son doesn’t share the same genetics and his nose is fine, but right before it ends they find out he got hit in the face and had plastic surgery when he was young.

Roz needing to pay the price for being a slut because network fatcats said so is the most pathetic bullshit ever.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Another Bill posted:

Imagine getting angry about someone else's opinions on Frasier and posting about it on the internet

Using coarse language isn't a sign of anger, and projecting it on to people is a personality failure.
You should work on that.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I hate Daphne so much, she's basically the worst sitcom trope and I still haven't braved the seasons where they actually get together.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At least it's not Jonathan.

Great name for a cat.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Physical comedy is the unsung hero of Frasier.

I think many people that turn their nose up at Frasier have never actually watched it to appreciate what a physically comedic farce it often is.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I’m the vox author desperate to make a deadline pretending not to know about TV Magic

Next up, a critique of the Manhattan apartments from Friends, where if they were sized realistically relative to the incomes of the inhabitants they’d be about 600 square feet

Perfect for a three camera sitcom

:byodood: lease control man!!!

(I've never watched more than maybe 2 episodes, but I've read that probably 75 times)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it was rent controlled.

Ah whatever, I don't know yer fancy NY terms.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

3rd Rock from the sun.

It's the other good show.

It seems like this show got completely forgotten, I always liked it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Another Bill posted:

If anyone is weirdly Frasier desperate and has a VPN, for 10$ a month Canadian you can watch all of Frasier and Cheers on crave.ca

Huh, at a glance you get Seinfeld, 30 Rock and South Park too, that's not half bad.

(disclaimer: I was not paid 1/8th of a cent to make this post.)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The blue swooshes down the 'pits are evocative of the... orchestra conductor hair that Frasier had in the early seasons.

(Is there a term for Frasier's early-series hair?)

Season 1 Frasier hair is one of the most abominable things ever allowed on air, and it owns.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

GolfHole posted:

seattle bulldogs

poo poo, nailed it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That is deeply unfunny, yeesh.

(turn on yuor moniter!)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

quote:

The actor's father was shot dead by a clinically insane murderer, while his sister was brutally gang raped and stabbed to death. His two half brothers were later killed after being eaten by sharks.

What the actual gently caress, I knew about half of this.

If anyone deserves a pass on their alcoholism/pill habits it is indeed this gentleman :wtf:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Its always great when a poster finds out just how cartoonishly awful Kelsey Grammers life has been

Even half of it is cartoonishly awful, he's transcended that label.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

He's an awful person who has done awful things and had awful things done to him and suffered awfully. He's like a fillet-o-fish from McDonalds. Every step in the process of making that sandwich and getting it to you is horrendous on so many different levels but goddamn it's good and comforting and enjoyed by people of every strata.

It feels like the things he's done pale pretty considerably to what he's has to endure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

oldpainless posted:

His hair in season 1 fuckin owns