Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The worst part about being from Seattle when this was on is that everybody expected us to be like Frasier and Niles except even in the show nobody likes or is like Frasier and Niles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Where's the Frasier thread? I left it right here.

THIS STINKS!

THIS IS TOTAL B.S.!

I'M GONNA' oh, here it is.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dinner Party is basically a bottle episode and I love every second of it.
The drunken Duncans?!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Darthemed posted:

At what point would Kevin Spacey have guested?
Didn't he do a caller voice?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You've all been spelling Frajer wrong for a long time.

He should know. He's Frajer.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Saucer Hovers posted:

what in the hell
One of the first projects in any editing course at a plethora of film schools, including mine, is to take a movie or television show and create out of it a trailer that's a completely different genre of movie or show.

A pretty famous one turned The Shining into an inspiring coming-of-age tale akin to something like Renaiisance Man or The Dead Poets Society called Shining.

They're all over the internet because people have to make them for school, but then each time one gets popular, there are imitators, so we'll be seeing these for a while yet.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There was a radio interview Pierce did here where he said when Frasier was filming, in real life he was a big slob who drank beer in his sweatpants on weekends.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Reeks of "I'd absolutely do this if it meant working with all my old friends and not Kelsey Grammer but gently caress this" to me.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That stuff is the meat of the show. It'd be as missed as the farce, should either be removed.

Now, granted, for some, the meat on this sandwich is that ol' Mitch Hedberg, "a cow with two crackers, in season 1, but the silliness only works when you have the seriousness.

Pie job for Lord Autumn Bottom over there!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Frederick wasn't great in Frasier, but his actor was pretty good on Mad Men. I hope they bring him back for the relaunch so he gets some redemption now that he's not an awkward kid.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I like Ad Man Misinterpreting Advice From Don Draper Frederick myself.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ynohtna posted:

I can never survive the dinner party level. Starting to think it's impossible.
You invite the Drunken Duntons. It seems like the obvious bad idea, but they draw aggro from all the other guests and you can just waltz through it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If they do something horrible like say Cheers was demolished to explain why he doesn't hang out there anymore, I'm out.

Otherwise, I'll give it a go before Paramount+ dies.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Marenghi posted:

I've no idea what life in pieces is in. But the bar shot did remind me of the set from How I Met Your Mother and I guess that's why.

For a show I liked when I was younger HIMYM has not aged well. There was a lot of humor and plots that were rapey in retrospect, it would not have survived being aired during the metoo era.
Barney suddenly deciding that women are people because he had a daughter and then yelling at the women he used to gently caress because they were being slutty is just so, so very hosed up that it was obvious when it aired.

The show was behind the times when it was still on the air, but you're not wrong. The great societal awakening happened during the run of that show.

Not a single season of that show goes by that there isn't a joke that's just "lol that chick's a dude."

No craft. No punchline. Just "trans people exist. Isn't that gross and hilarious?"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't think My Name Is Earl was ever big enough for streamers to think they could leverage it to draw eyeballs to their platform, but damned if I don't want to see Earl cross the very last thing off his list.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Where do you think we are?
God drat.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Does anyone want to watch this 2.5 hour video about Frasier on Cheers and tell me if it's any good?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89_0jkBPVps
Watched it a couple of days ago. It's good.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm looking forward to more, which is more than I can say about most of these reboots after an episode or two.

I didn't even finish That 90s show.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's almost certainly just "that costs money and nobody notices or cares."

We're in a real race to the bottom where anything that can be surgically removed from society, art, or culture will be so your boss's boss's boss's boss can see a number go up slightly faster.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

Episode 6 definitely has some good moments. Frasier and Freddy can’t decide who is on a date with who, and you get some good character interaction. Plus, Frasier pushing that old lady across the floor.
It was the first farce of the new run. And those were always some of the best of the original.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I thought a laugh track was canned, pre-recorded laughter, whereas Frasier is and always has been filmed in front of an actual audience.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I actually really like the new show and think it's better than later-season original recipe Frasier, so I wish Kelsey would just keep his bullshit to himself.

Or as long as I'm living in the magical world of What If, that he's visited by three ghosts and comes the gently caress to.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Grassy Knowles posted:

if you're a lady, join us in the lilith army
Been there since about 1992.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I turned the corner on Freddy when he got drunk and was suddenly wicked smaht.

It's a really broad and obvious gag, but it worked on me. Largely because it fit his character so well. He just doesn't want to be like his dad.

Edit: I'm surprised they never even tried to explain why he's not hanging out at Cheers. Like, if he wasn't spending all his free time at a bar, I'd just assume he doesn't do that anymore, but come on, man. Everybody already knows your name there.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The General posted:

Gotta save Cheers for the final season as a backdoor pilot.
This probably *was* the final season.

Have we heard anything about them doing more? 'Cause Paramount Plus might just fuckin' die anyway.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

We used to just let sitcoms spend two seasons finding their voice.

Even loving Cheers needed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Once we got a proper Frasier Farce™ episode, I did a little happy dance.