Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He only sees him in the show when something really weird happens. They always have conversations about other times they spent time together or all the time they spent training for a spelling bee and stuff.

Maybe they'll make a Frasier reboot about Freddy being a ~35 year old police officer with his goth ex-wife and his new romantic interest (a police psychiatrist).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hey! This is a Frasier thread. If you wanna talk about Newsradio and Dave Foley and his amazing performances in The Kids in the Hall and Blast From the Past then start another thread!

Actually, we probably should:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhrnMbhMgmw

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Frasier fun fact: all of the principal actors from Cheers have made a guest appearance on Frasier except Kirstie Alley because psychiatry plays heavily in the show and that's kryptonite to Scientologists.

Also they didn't have the budget to afford both her and an entire extra fleet of Kraft Service trucks.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bea Nanner posted:

mel was just maris with a face

Mel was awesome and a better match for Niles across the board. And Donny was better for Daphne. I just hope Frasier got together with that one girl he went to Chicago for.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That was Niles' fault for not just asking her out. He was using that stuff as an excuse to see her. Let's make a list:

Good:
- she encouraged him to follow his dreams
- pushed him to be as good of a person as he could be
- meshed perfectly with him and his society friends
- loved him unequivocally
- told Daphne, in a candid moment, that all she wanted was to be the safe and loving person in Niles' life that he deserved

Bad:
- she knew more people and was higher in Seattle society than Frasier
- she asked Daphne to make her coffee once, but wasn't in the main cast so that was wrong
- she was picky
- they had a "get to know her" brunch in which they skipped over everything and just made all the cast hate her at the end of it

No one honestly thought Mel was gonna be Niles' one and only, but they could have at least tried to give her a little more screen time to further develop the character.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cosmik Slop posted:

I had to look it up. Apparently it comes up in S8 when they perform Freddie's bris on the Cheers pool table (wtf?)

That drat bar.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

cool new Polack jokes posted:

It's too bad we didn't see more from him. He probably had the best range out of anyone from Friends

Which is ironic because he was the worst friend. The rankings of the F*R*I*E*N*D*S is as follows:

1. Joey
2. Monica
3. Phoebe
4. Chandler
5. Rachel
6. Ross

I always struggle with the 2/3 position because early seasons Phoebe was better than early season Monica, but late season Monica was better than late season Phoebe.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Agreed, but if you have to rank them I think that is the correct ranking.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

sassassin posted:

That's an incredibly wrong list loving hell

Well step up to the plate son and show us your list! If Joey isn't #1 though, then I don't even know.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Then have Yoshi bury her in the garden.

Yoshi passed away in like season 7 or 8 you insensitive bastard!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I too loved the episode where they all got in flying cars and drove through the air up to a hotel floating in mid-air, and were subjected to a farcical romantic plot once they arrived

That was when Martin's ears wouldn't pop because of the altitude and he made buttered space rum right?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

Roz thinking she's too good for a garbage man was pretty hilarious.

He broke up with her. Probably because of her kid. Then they had to rewind an entire plot point of her wanting Frasier and quitting her job in the last season.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BMS posted:

I always wondered about that. It had seemed for a long time like they were slowly, subtly pushing that Frasier and Roz would get together by the end of the show (aside from most of the last season). I'm just curious is that was the original intention, or if it was never on the agenda.

I think it tested extremely poorly and they wound it back in the first and second episode of the last season. I have no proof of this, but it just seemed like such a weird abrupt turn for the show which had been fairly straight written for a the entire span. Frasier's dating a woman that's bad for him, Roz comes to realize that he is the person she's been looking for, she straight up says "Pick me! Pick me over her, please Frasier." He chooses the other person, and Roz quits her job and leaves. I think the last season was going to be getting them together, but no one wanted to see that so they had to just reset everything back to the status quo and have Frasier dump the one girl because of Pictionary.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

I was always a bit torn about whether that would've been better than introducing a fairly generic love interest in the last season and trying to convince us she was really "the one" and building a pretty uninteresting love triangle around it. Ultimately I suppose they probably made the right choice, even though it would've been better if they started laying the groundwork earlier. The other way, they would run the risk of retroactively "ruining" Frasier & Roz's relationship throughout the series. This way, you could even choose to interpret it a number of ways. Maybe the girl he left Seattle for actually ended up not being "the one" but he found someone else in... I want to say Chicago? Or maybe it actually did work. Up to the viewer I guess.

Also, my phone autocorrected Roz to a "rose" emoji so I guess my phone is actually Daphne's brother.

Agreed, but through the whole show a lot of his character was about not being willing to take a risk or go all in for a woman, and in the last episode that's exactly what he did. I kinda liked that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

I just watched the episode where Marty pretends he's gay and claims Niles is his boyfriend to make an excuse to why he can't date the actual gay man in the room.

Classic.

Oh Martin, the young ones never stay.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sagacity posted:

Same question but for Millicent Martin.

All of Daphne's family was garbage. And none of them sounded like they came from Manchester. Her dad was kinda funny sometimes though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Seasons 1-7 are some of the best TV ever written. No show has managed farce as well as Frasier did.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gourmet Night may be my favorite half hour of TV ever. But Frasier still did farce better.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

Season 9 is really sucking dick my friends

My wife got so mad at the flag episode she demanded we skip it

9/11 claimed two of the main writers I think. There's still some good episodes in the next couple seasons, but it does go down hill. Frasier's decline is one of those things you can blame 9/11 for.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like Nile's apartment, that apparently he doesn't own because he's always under the threat of being kicked out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Carpet posted:

got a big divorce settlement from maris though

Even without that I think he still makes somewhere in the mid to high 6 figures. It's also weird that he got a big settlement because they talk about Maris' prenup a bunch of times before they decided to launch the "his lawyer gets Daphne" storyline. It was cool that his divorce took like 3 years though. That was pretty realistic.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

spog posted:

So, we can blame Daphne's mum on Al qaeda?

Yes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Feels like a lot, lot more.

Thats because every second she is on screen drags on longer than the fifth grade.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It was the writing. EVerything about Daphne's family dragged the rest of the show down. They were all unlikable, poorly conceived, badly written, and unfunny. Except her dad. The two episodes he was in he was funny.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's a good front door. The only thing that could improve it would be an antique door knocker.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Weren't they all English actors too?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kelp Me! posted:

Listen I love Roz as much as the next guy but that is an extremely generous definition of "busty" right there

Lorna Langley. Now she was busty. And I think she was in Veep the other night too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FuhrerHat posted:

im his building's inexplicable elevator layout

Those elevator doors did not have any safety features. And the stairs didn't have any emergency lighting. His whole building is basically a death trap.

edit:
More like the Helliot Bay Towers.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Has some superfan ever made a diagram of where the condo board's meeting room is?

Downstairs. Everyone knows that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Thunder Bear posted:

This thread made me keep watching Frasier after stopping years ago at the end of season one. I'm currently in the middle of season five.

I'm having a lot of fun with it, and I normally can't watch anything with a laugh track. Frasier is good.

e: holy poo poo did Niles just bang Lilith

Sure did! And its a running joke for the rest of the series!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She also guessed that Frasier's gay boss had a fight about opera CD's. And it was sweet of Niles to keep that one researcher from telling her that she didn't have any real abilities.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Ive never heard anything bad about Bea Arthur and the Golden Girls is amazing.

I'm gonna put up Roseanne for "Tier 1 90's Sitcom". It's the most realistic portrayal of lower-middle class families because the kids are lovely twerps who all live at home with their boyfriends and the house looks like warm cluttered poo poo but the writing is snappy and the characters are all earthy and funny and grumpy.

It's got this weird warm palette and the only other show I can think of that shared it is maybe Family Matters.

Early season Family Matters was great, but once it became the Eurkel show it sucked. They time traveled and like went to space and poo poo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Still Fluxing posted:

They are compadres, amigos, hermanos. And you always know that, "if you get one, you get that other one."

Frankly, I find the whole thing a little....

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's the episode where the old family friend comes back and Martin wonders if he's really Frasier and Niles' biological father. One of the best later ones.

But then it turns out he's gay, so Martin knows they're really his. A good episode.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Niles gets $250 haircuts in 2000 money which is $362 in today's money.

Which is why he's got a giant sucker for a head.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

Well any time, any place, anywhere that I go
All the people seem to stop and stare
They say "why are you dressed like it's Halloween?
You look so absurd, you look so obscene"
Oh, why can't I live a life for me?
Why should I take the abuse that's served?
Why can't they see they're just like me
It's the same, it's the same in the whole wide world

Yeah, but he's got a goth chick girlfriend, and having been a rivethead in highschool through the 90's I can confirm that they put out. Good job Freddy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Poor Freddy...put on black lipstick and got ditched.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Hopefully he stashed all those freddy millions

If he's like any other child star that progress into adult fame then I'm sure it was all stolen by his parents and agent.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I still hope for a Frasier spin off where Freddy grew up to be a cop like his grandfather and Niles and Frasier give him poo poo because he's a genius that wanted to be a cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Would watch the poo poo out of this.

OK, you guys start writing it. I have a producer friend at NBC! We could get this off the ground! This could be the best goon project of all time!