Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Between Breath of the Wild, Yakuza 0, Nioh, Nier Automata, and with Persona 5, Ni No Kuni 2 and Dragon Quest XI on the way, this really feels like the year Japan stopped playing around and just decided to kill western developers already

Zas posted:

this + ffxv

actually i guess that wa slast year but i played it this year

Fumaofthelake posted:

Splatoon 2

God Bless Japan

Oh yeah and Xenoblade 2

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Oh and Mario Odyssey

Pablo Gigante posted:

It's a re-release but also Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age.

Fungah! posted:

yakuza kiwami ths summer too

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Gravity Rush 2 and Resident Evil 7 seem win too but I haven't played them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I can't name a genre I like that Japan doesn't do better. Burnout maybe?

Are there any Japanese RTS games?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

they really are making us look like a bunch of clowns this year. mass effect: andromeda was all the clowns crabwalking and mugging as they exited the clown car and dooted around the big top.

Shadow of War will probably be fun as long as you don't get really OP really fast like you did in the first. As excited as RDR2 makes me, all this talk of them taking lots of influence from GTA Online has me worried that it'll end up being a Pay2win grindfest :( everything else is either bland or downright bad. What the hell are we doing LOL

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Zas posted:

theyre better at making games cause they care more + understand the medium better, maybe

The bulk of western developers, including every AAA dev, have grown increasingly obsessed with either replacing or melding with Hollywood and they don't seem to understand that video games are a completely separate medium from movies/TV and that insane production budgets and A-list celebrity casting is actually detrimental in the long run

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Slavic devs are the wacky wildcard

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

HORMELCHILI posted:

I cant believe the weeabo circlejerk fuckfest going on in this thread. IF YOU DONT LIKE IT THEN loving MOBE TO JAPAN WEEABOI loving TRASH!!

こんにちは

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I thought the last DLC pack was supposed to be the best part of Skyrim. The one where you go to the island and it's written by the crazy Morrowind writer

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

you forgot about Poland

Lol

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

don't forget handheld gameing

We did...

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

In Training posted:

Today somebody walked into the subway and audibly exclaimed Holy poo poo a Vita and then changed cars.

Awesome

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I hate being reminded that Dead Rising 4 exists

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

1. Nothing wrong with me
2. Nothing wrong with me
3. Nothing wrong with me
4. Nothing wrong with me

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Ni No Kuni 2 has been delayed until January 19, confirming that 2018 will be the 34th consecutive Year of Japan.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Dragon Quest VIII 3DS, Yakuza 0, Gravity Rush 2, Nioh, Breath of the Wild, Nier Automata, Resident Evil VII, Persona 5, Dragon Quest Heroes II, Ever Oasis, Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age, Splatoon 2, Yakuza Kiwami, Ys VIII, Super Mario Odyssey, Sonic Forces, Xenoblade II, yeah, it's the Year of Japan

Lumpy the Cook fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 8, 2017

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

This.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

わいと ぴっぐ ご ほむ

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Oh hell yes

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Just had a horrifying realization: although Japan delivered an insane amount of earnest GOTY candidates, like Final Fantasy XV, Yakuza 0, Nioh, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Nier Automata, Resident Evil VII, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey, and more, all the American GOTY awards are going to go to Bethesda's Wolfenstein sequel so people can use their awards lists/shows as a platform for their tepid political takes fffffffuuuuuuuuu

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

At least when this BS happens I can look back smugly and say yes, I did indeed 'zi that one coming

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I do hope it's a vast improvement over the last one, but a Bethesda game getting GOTY awards is just a sickening concept in general. 2011 was a much weaker year than this was but Skyrim getting all the awards still sucked to see

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

PUBG is gonna take every GOTY due to its ease of instant streaming income despite 75% of the userbase being Chinese idlers farming cool drops

NooooOOOOOOOO

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Surely, early access games are considered ineligible. Surely...

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I'm finally wrapping up the story of Yakuza 0 and I just noticed: the in-engine cutscenes will act like normal cutscenes (people just keep talking and the scene continues uninterrupted) but if you press any of the face buttons, the cutscenes will act like a 'classic' cutscene (you have to press x for every new line of dialogue) I've literally never seen a video game do this before. What is this called, and why doesn't every game do it? It's really neat and convenient.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Congratulations to the PC Mustard Race for slowly and steadily catching up to Greatness! http://store.steampowered.com/app/485510/

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Dragon Quest VIII 3DS, Yakuza 0, BYE BYE BOXBOY, Gravity Rush 2, Nioh, Breath of the Wild, Nier Automata, Resident Evil VII, Persona 5, Dragon Quest Heroes II, Ever Oasis, Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age, Splatoon 2, Yakuza Kiwami, Ys VIII, Super Mario Odyssey, Sonic Forces, Xenoblade II, yeah, it's the Year of Japan

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Pretty sure it was meant to be a Vita exclusive until late in development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3EZt3U9o3k

• Locked thread