Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I love Japanese games and the amiibo they have wrought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

There needs to be a Japanese Dark Souls.

It's Nioh and it came out like two weeks ago.

Actually I guess it might be a little more like Demon than Dark since there are discrete missions. Kind of like a Monster Hunter thing but with actually good combat and cool poo poo.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Dragons Crown is a good Japanese game

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

In Training posted:

2016, 2015, 1998

1997 has Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy Tactics (Japan), FF7, Grandia, Parappa, and Star Fox 64.

Also some good American games (Fallout, Goldeneye, Dungeon Keeper).

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

There's a ton of great western soundtracks but they're mostly indie games. That being said, nobody does orchestral arrangements better than Japan

Shout out to the sound design in Breath of the Wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

the GDC presentation, where they talk about the minimal but expressive sound design of BOTW is really cool. the main idea was to have the music compliment the sound effects that would be happening in game (e.g. strikes and damage for combat, jumping running and climbing for exploration), and the feeling the player would have, without overshadowing either.

There are some really effective "conventional" music tracks as well, though some are short. The beginning of the game, Hyrule Castle, even the load screen.

Fumaofthelake fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 23, 2017

• Locked thread