Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

So was the SkyF1 team chatting poo poo or is DRS seemingly not creating easy overtakes anymore? It does seem like most of the overtakes we saw weren't on the straights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Willeh posted:

I like Max, but the constant raging hard-on the Dutch media has for him is getting really loving tiring.

I can sympathise with the Dutch media. Max is the best driver the Netherlands have had since Jos Verstappen- and while that is a low, low bar- the Dutch are understandably very excited about it so it sells newspapers. People in the UK often similarly complain about the media and Lewis Hamilton, though I have limited sympathy for people who say "I willingly subject myself to the Sun newspaper's writing but by god I'm feeling pretty truculent about its quality right now".

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I think I can speak for all good brit lads when I say we just put Hamilton p1 and q1 and leave the rest blank

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

Verstappen was spectacular and amazing and quite frankly anyone that doesn't like him isn't a real Formula One fan.

If you can submit one of your essays that has salient points on why this rule would apply to Max Verstappen and not (for example) Lewis Hamilton, I'll make Max Verstappen my P1 pick on gppredictor for the rest of the season.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Theophany posted:

Nobody disputes Hamilton's talent, he's just a dry lunch. There are a lot of people in this thread claiming Verstappen is a bad driver, which is patently not true and is more than likely just lazy attempts to get a rise out of people.

Disputing talent is one thing- it was the "If you don't like him..." part that threw me. Especially coming from someone who really doesn't like Lewis for what I'm assuming is similar reasons to why people don't like Max.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I just want to see how Verstappen handles himself when he has something on the line, i.e. he's in contention for the WDC (who knows, that may be this year).

Specifically, the day he makes a mistake that costs him something important and the youth-given invulnerability field evaporates. Then you see what's left underneath it- a superstar like Schumacher or another career midfielder.

E: I don't think it was shown on TV but for all the (rightful) mocking of Bottas for spinning under the safety car, Max was a gnats' foreskin away from doing the exact same thing.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 11, 2017

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

It's weird that we have access to all these clips of things that weren't broadcast during the race. It's almost like F1 is a real sport now.

VVV That'll teach those pricks at formula1.com not to mess with formula1.com

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 11, 2017

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

iospace posted:

Also, serious talk for a second: Who if given Bottas's seat, would legitimately challenge Lewis for the championship? Yes, we know Nando probably would, as would Vettel, but who else?

Well Nico was a legitimate threat in that he won a WDC, so on that basis half the field could. Perez is probably the next best driver on the grid after the top3.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Schumacher crashed the car massively in his first session iirc. Except instead of being bashful and "sorry guys" he just got in the spare car and went even faster.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

British F1 drivers. Getting WDCs, hot girls, and instagraming their dogs. What do German f1 drivers have again? Oh that's right Vettel named his car Gina. Great.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Monaco has been poo poo for years, though I'm actually quite hopeful that the longer wheelbase (esp. Merc) adds some drama to it this year. Traffic jam at the hairpin!

But seriously:

quote:

Alonso, 35, will race for the Honda-powered Andretti team on 28 May, and the car will be branded a McLaren.

Ahahaha, as if that car will make it 5 laps. Even having McLaren's name on the car is enough to doom it to failure, but with a Honda engine too?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Honda makes very good non-F1 engines

Oh I get that, I know the US Honda is totally different to the Japanese Honda too, it's more the fact that it's Alonso driving a McLaren-branded, Honda-powered car. Some forces are more powerful than mere physics.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

So Jenson for Monaco then? Or is Matsushita qualified enough to race in F1?(He's a Honda guy with works backing).

I think having Honda backing right now is a solid way to end your career before it starts. They're not exactly in a position to push their driver into the team. "Let him race or we'll stop making you engines and you'll have to go back to Mercedes!"

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Just realised Alonso will be up against former F1 legend Max Chilton. I don't like ferdies chances much anymore.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I think that happens in the film Grand Prix

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

F1 did this a couple of years ago, there was even a swivelling thermal cam once

The thermal cam was awesome. Why don't they still have that? The bits of rubber flying off the tyres looking like molten lava was beautiful.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Wow, a poo poo poster in a poo poo thread. 🤣👎

Nobody posted about Myrddin_Emrys.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

CratSock posted:

I knew there would be at least one team to smash the Scud!

Also statistically probably Mclaren and Mercedes. But hey, Ferrari sure have been around for a while. Admirable

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I urge you all to go and watch the on board of Lance Stroll. It is terrifying to watch him saw-ing the wheel back and forth. I honestly don't think he should be driving an f1 car. People will die.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

By the way was I hearing things or did Bottas' race engineer say "gently caress nico"?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Just lol if you don't live in a country where A) the race is on at a relaxing 4pm and B) there's a bank holiday tomorrow.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

A Ferrari team making non-poo poo calls. Today is a wierd day.

Good race though, Bottas is loving godawful.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

What does "he's Brazilian so there's not much to discuss" even mean? Brake failure my rear end that was a warning

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Stop talking about cars you fuckin nerds

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

Aww man. Force India are actually good this year. :smith:

Mercedes should buy them as the B team. Ferrari can buy Haas. Williams can buy Renault (Hello Williams-renault livery of 1992+) and Sauber can buy Mclaren. Sorted- bigger teams, budget sharing, less pay drivers and more promising reserve drivers getting a chance.

e: I've saved F1. Nevermind that it was getting better anyway. Pay me.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Apparently the Honda engine has hit new problems in testiHAHAHahaha. Can't even finish.

Is there a world record for "consecutive bad decisions"? NGL I think Alonso since 2007 has to be in the running for that title. When he gets an engine failure in the Indy 500 and Button wins Monaco it will be official.

learnincurve posted:

I find it quite amusing that none of the British team princaples, journalists, and TV presenters will be able to vote in the general election.

Postal votes :colbert:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

gently caress. If Lewis has a kid he'll become a poo poo racing driver like massa, rosberg or grosjean I think? Either way all drivers with kids are terrible.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Big John actually got better after having a kid

"better" is a relative term. He stopped crashing into people so much. The idea is that once a F1 driver has a kid they suddenly have something to live for and so start driving like a granny. Especially if they have a near miss like Massa. I prefer my F1 drivers isolated, alone and unloved so that they can concentrate on driving. I don't mind if they have a few comforts: Lewis has his dogs, Alonso has his Japanese love pillow etc.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Seb has 2 kids and he's Super. The Studliest at the Scud.

I'm not exactly sure why Seb manages to be an OK driver right now while having kids but I suspect it's because he's German and would sacrifice his children to Satan if it got him a faster car for the season. (Not saying I disapprove).

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I don't think John drives like a granny and not crashing into poo poo and generally placing well when you car works is sort of the definition of a pretty good driver

He's level pegging with Kevin Magnussen this season. If there's a universal indicator for "poor F1 driver" I feel like that would be it.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Khablam posted:

Current F1 drivers who donated to Billy:

Max Verstappen
Jensen Button

Both get good lad tags.

Loads more have, I know massa tweeted it and I think Lewis did too.

The oddest one for me was seeing woody harrelson donate 5k

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I'm glad rallying is dead, it's fans are the worst. loving standing at the side of the road trying to touch the car then whining that the driver is 'inexperienced' when he crashes into you and kills your retarded friend.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Watching the press conference Alonso didn't look at all excited or happy to be there. I think it's hit home that running the 500 involves being in the US for extended periods of time.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Wasn't that just like the Spanish/Portugese/Greek/Italian fans? Like at soccer games they all have reserved seating for Neonazis and stuff.

No that's the UK and the seating areas are called "general admission"

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Oh man even the mods of the worst thread get probated.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

The worst loving thing is that my house is pretty much equidistant from three amazing curry places and it makes it hard to choose which one to go for sometimes.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Ban Tim Vine jokes ITT.

No wait I meant post more.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

The trainwreck that Alonso's career has become is entirely Flavio Briatore's fault . I'll never understand why this thread generally seems to like that flabby piece of poo poo.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

The main issue I have with Grand Tour is that now it's an American show it does some of the worst pandering possible. The section they filmed in the US where they mentioned ~the military~ and then had 5 minutes of repeating the unfunny "audience riots because of ARE TROOPS being the best" gag was I imagine as embarrassing to norns and non-deep south Americans as it was to the rest of the viewers.

That plus the poo poo American "stig" replacement that noone outside of (NASCAR?) has even heard of.

Were they that awful and pander-y about the UK when it was a BBC show and I just didn't notice or wha

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Alright, shopping time.

Legible handwriting? :getout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Wierd that the mercs seems to struggle warming tires. Aren't they typically harder on them, hence why Ferrari have better race pace? Does that mean Ferrari are going to be slower in the race due to tire wear now?

• Locked thread