Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Is Mclaren a contender for a last place points finish this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

I dunno, if you put Stroll or Verstappen in there they'd probably die from Shaken Baby Syndrome.

:newlol:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

Is this just a hobby for Honda?

I'm being serious because their approach is about the same as mine is towards karting where I can't be assed to fix things for months at a time, it really seems like they just like going to races and wrenching on F1 cars so they asked for a budget to do that.

Edit: loving :lol:

Nice Avatar.

Honda seem to be writing off the first half of 2017.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Drunk Canuck posted:

Lance Stroll will have a podium finish. This is my race prediction.

It's possible if the podium is close enough to the track for him to crash into it.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm genuinely curious what people's expectations are regarding races. You had a car that wasn't on pole push the lead car for a considerable stint at the beginning, arguable forcing the lead car to ruin their tires and then still had the pace to push while in clean air. It was a great build up over strategy and being able to push and Seb chasing Lewis in the early part of the race looked awesome. If you want to see a million passes go watch races at a rental kart place.

Not that I'm complaining, but I would like to see the 2nd place car pace the first place car on the track. However, this is F1 and I can accept that doesn't happen anymore.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

Or ever?

It used to happen occasionally. If Liberty wants more than 500,000 American viewers then it will need to happen more often.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I watched NBC for the first time and there were loving a lot of commercials. One time mid-race they came back from commercials, showed two laps, then took another ad break.

I just switch over to Univision (in the USA) because they don't run commercials. I switch back in about 3 minutes or longer if i want to learn spanish.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Every year they state they want to make changes to create more overtaking and then they put in changes that do the opposite. Todt should just stop talking until he actuality has a proposal that actually has backing from the teams and the FIA.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

Todt isn't a magician. There is a known solution to this problem: underfloor aero. But the teams don't want this for the exact reason that it was originally banned, which is that it's hard to control and regulate. So what we're asking for is a way to make these cars faster that doesn't increase turbulent wake, and that's not something you knock out in an afternoon.

I get that it's a hard problem. We have heard that for years. I think they should stop talking about it until Todt has an actual proposal. Just keep quiet until a proposal is ready.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

Are you serious?

No. Just a little sick of hearing about future changes that never work out.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

djssniper posted:

They arn't future changes, it's a planned suggestion to provoke debate

I see. In the interest of saving time, here is a synopsis of every F1 over taking debate ever.

“The drivers can’t follow the car in front of them because of all the dirty air from the Aero”
“Easy fix. Ban Wings”
“We like the wings. Let’s put grooves in the tires”
“The grooves in the tires are dumb. Let’s make the tires degrade artificially”
“Push to Pass”
“let’s make little aero gates the drivers can open with their knees”
“None of this is working”
“Easy fix. Ban Wings”
“We like the wings. Let’s make the tires wider”
"Expert X (Currently Ross) will figure it out. Form a committee!"

repeat forever.

daslog fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 29, 2017

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

If you had being paying attention to this for even one second you would know that Brawn is working to improve overtaking within the current formula, which is a fundamentally different discussion than the one you are bitching about. Every single dang post you make itt is some new twist on oversimplifying a complicated subject so you have some reason to complain about progress not being made instantly.

Oh right, this time Ross will discover the secret formula for overtaking. I should have added that to my debate post.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Norns posted:

What's the best era of F1?

My dad took us to an F1 race at Lime Rock way back in the 1970's. I used to watch the reel to reel film that he took of the race when I was in Kindergarten. But I think 1985 to 1990 were the peak years for me. I think it helped that I was a teenager so I had more time to watch. I was a huge Alain Prost fan.

The internet didn't exist so F1 was truly amazing compared to everything else.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

This is very important and everyone should know that Alonso is in fact Bernie Sanders. The champion we all need but do not deserve and who cannot win despite obviously being the best because the system is rigged.

:bernin:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

The worst this thread has ever been was when McLaren won the title.

Was it great when Michael Schumacher became a vegetable?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

I mean was the thread great, not what happened to Michael.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I don't care if they're 3 laps down in a Marussia, you shouldn't have to move over for anybody, just race your goddamn racecar. That's how bikes work. Bunch of nanny state blue flag bleeding hearts driving these cars around here.

I hope they get rid of blue flags. The Nando train needs to become a thing.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

enri posted:

More HAM douche-baggery:

Lewis Hamilton decides to race without a personal trainer

Good / Bad idea? Discuss!

He's 32 and starting to get lazy.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

Is this an April Fools joke? https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-agrees-plan-for-cheaper-and-noisier-engines-888644/

Can't wait to see which team crushes this new formula and dominates for a few years before yet another new formula is implemented to stop them.

Honda will figure out the current formula just in time for the entire thing to be scrapped. Then they will back to where they are now.

We need some sort of Alonso sad smiliey thing.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Someone one proposed a formula where you can do anything you want and the only requirement is that you can use more then a set amount of Joules in your fuel source. So one time might do 50 gallons of hydrogen, another might use High Octane Diesel, etc. Everything else would be open.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Honda could be great again if they bring back the V12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxDqikS-_A0

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

ilmucche posted:

Lance stroll?

What's the opposite of hyped up?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Norns posted:

rumor is he's looking at buying interlagos.

I hope he buys it and then can't afford the annual 10% track hosting fee escalation.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Bernie says that the Greedy commercial rights holder is charging the tracks too much.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ecclestone-calls-for-lower-fees-for-f1-race-promoters-893764/

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
With Bottas on Pole, It's pretty clear that F1 today is much more about the car than the driver. I wish we could put Lance in the Mercedes to prove this theory.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Apologies if someone posted this. I'd like to see Alonso in the booth someday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdPUeiF2EIY

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

What can they do to help Honda?

Hey dumbasses test all your parts on the engine before putting in the car?

A few ideas:

Less penalties for replacing broken stuff.
Allow additional testing time.
NOS stickers to add speed.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

The engine reliability thing should be scrapped. It's just Mercedes posturing because it discourages the opposition from trying new concepts.

I'm trying to think of a circumstance where a cost control provision actually reduced the total amount of money the teams spent. It always seems like they just spend the money elsewhere.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Alonso is 3.4 seconds slower than Bottas. Does that 112% rule still exist?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Just watched the race. I don't think Massa getting in the way would have made any difference. As soon as Vettel was within 1 second the dirty air would have slowed him down anyway.

Maybe Liberty should forget about getting another race in America until they sort out the whole idea of passing in F1 first.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I don't follow F1 closely enough to know much about Bottas. Does he have actual talent, or is he living proof that it's the car and not the driver that really counts in F1?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Human Grand Prix posted:

He was promising in 2013 and especially 2014, but seemed to plateau from 2015-onwards. He's talented but not talent enough for a top seat it seems.

He just beat 3 former world champions, so are you saying it's the car that matters? they are all frauds?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I just read this and my first thought was "would it have been a record if there were no overtakes?"

quote:

After a processional start in Australia, China and Bahrain were better races. However, in Russia last weekend, there was just a single passing move all race.

Germany's Auto Bild points out that even the notorious six-car race at Indianapolis in 2005 boasted more overtaking than that.

A year ago at Sochi, there were 29 overtakes.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36340.html

The FIA decided that 1 overtake is more than enough for them, so they are not making any changes.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Monaco: An annual parade with a lot of rich people who don't watch the race.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

mrfart posted:

So eh,
How old are you guys/your cars that you all seem to know about double (de)clutching?

I had to learn because my rallycross car doesn't like to shift into first unless I mash all three pedals at once.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

enri posted:

Speaking of different driving techniques, I once tried left foot braking. Brain instinct kicked in and decided that because it was my left foot, I must want to mash my foot down all the way. I left a nice set of tyre marks down the A5 just south of Daventry and another lovely set of marks just south of my belt. Luckily I was stupid enough to try it on a clear stretch of road late at night, so no one had to react to my rapid deceleration from 70 to 0 on a single lane carriageway.

I am not a clever man.

I practice every day, and I still screw it up on track when I have to trail brake with the left foot and then downshift.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Uncle Jam posted:

Why do you race through piles of cow manure.

Because race car!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

learnincurve posted:

I hope the lack of news indicates that some huge drama is about to drop, we're due a scandal.

The Team payouts for 2017 were announced.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129388

I can't imagine why new teams don't do well. Haas gets 19 million and Ferrari gets 180 million.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

That's why they are the perfect synergy with Nando. Savants at making lovely decisions.

This post did not get the recognition it deserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

NtotheTC posted:

When was the last time that a car overtook another, different car for the race win out on track? If you discount the various times Hamilton overtook Rosberg because that was just embarrassing for everyone involved.

It was a great moment. More DRS please

• Locked thread