Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Khablam posted:

same, but beer

lol if you watch an f1 race sober

If I'm tired enough that I'm falling asleep at my desk watching, does that count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Going to the fridge to get booze at 0000: :effort:

(That, and I don't drink as much as I used to, so getting booze is even more :effort:)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

"the wing fell off, and it's frustrating for mercedes, because it's obvious that shouldn't happen"

HOLY gently caress, SERIOUSLY?

Which moron said that?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

how about...

Ferrari and Mercedes take each other out on Turn 1, leading to RBR-Williams-Haas (GRO, KMag DNFs)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Theophany posted:

It's got to be the most stark comparison on the grid seeing Vandoorne and Alonso. Stoff was poo poo hot in the feeder formula but Alonso is just on a whole other level whilst simultaneously appearing to give less than a fifth of a gently caress about driving the McLaren.

I mean I get that Mercedes probably wanted a quiet order following second driver in Bottas (easy to harp on about equal status when one driver is clearly much better than the other) but goddamn if it had been me making that decision I'd have done the needful and gotten Nando in a Merc. That basically guarantees the WCC and ends Ferrari's challenge before the season begins.

I also think it'd be easier to provide Williams with free power units for a year than poach 'Nando from McLaren. I'm sure he wants to leave, but he's contract bound and short of retiring, McLaren is not giving him up because he's easily their best driver.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

I firmly believe Alonso would be in WDC contention if this McLaren had any non-Honda engine. That's kinda why I think he'll stay next year for sure - either Honda's updates work and they prove they're figuring it out, or McLaren switches engines. Either way, I think he's in a good position.

But will you toxx on that?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

As long as we're saying poo poo that doesn't mean gently caress all, honda's new engine mid season will actually be good, and mclaren will jump to the top of the pack but it'll be stoffel van waffle leading the way.

:chloe:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

Is this rivals thing actually an issue or is it a monkey and ladder type situation where one guy didn't like it and it became a rule that everyone enforced and didn't know why, because i would think these days most people have never heard of or been to it.

I almost want to give you him, with a waffle photoshopped as a face avatar as punishment. But you'll have to deal with Chloe!

Real talk: rivals thing, but at least it was amusing (and original, unlike the 9001st time someone goes "poois shamilton").

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

Nobody even knows what he looks like anyways, so people would wonder if the guy is waffle related.

I'm trying as hard as i can, and cannot picture his face.

Maybe he's Lord Waffle Beard :tinfoil:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

He's the most bland looking dude on the grid.

I thought that was Bottas.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Anyway, so, during races, I'm going to be a bit lenient on punishing rivals.com puns, especially if the target really, really fucks up (such as: if Lewis puts it into the wall for no reason, I'm not going to object to Poois because that is really lovely driving).

But only during races. Any others will get the wheel.

What's on the wheel? That's for me to know and you to find out :evilbuddy:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh, and protip, if it makes me laugh, I'll probably let it slide. Or give you a :chloe:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

Which one of these guys Is Stoffel Vandoorne?(no cheating)

All of them?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Anyone want to guess how many laps we get under safety before it starts?

let me figure out.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GramCracker posted:

I think when he agreed to be a mod, one rule was that he can no longer be fun

Eh, I'm annoyed at coworkers, apologies.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GramCracker posted:

Get ready to be annoyed at Charlie shortly instead

Thankfully I'll be sleeping during it.

But yeah, the coworker replacing me tried to call out tonight on me at the last moment. I was not happy, nor is my boss I think.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

RoGro penalized =/

How many spots and for what?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, I'm out for the night. Behave yourselves.

Or don't when 'Nando bins it :unsmigghh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Here's my surprise at Max finishing on the podium in a wet race: :geno:

Here's my surprise at Lewis and Seb being 1-2: :geno:

Here's my response to that first bit: :getin:

Also, K-Mag in the points (and RoGo finishing just outside of them!)? :stare:

Also congrats to 1500 for the new thread title.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm pretty sure Bottas was pretty low on Mercedes' want list, and it's becoming apparent. Everyone else they would have wanted was either at Ferrari (who won't leave because :homebrew: and the fame of being a Ferrari driver), Red Bull (contract locked, most likely), or Fernando (who is also probably contract locked). Williams was the only team they had any sort of leverage with, so there you go.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Theophany posted:

He will definitely be the deciding factor if they don't retain the WCC and those dipshit fuckos at Mercedes can suck a gently caress for listening to precious Lewis and not accepting Nando driving for free.

Yes, because McLaren is totally going to give up their best driver while he's still under contract. Totally, 100% Lewis's fault. Yup.

Norns posted:

Are we getting another race with him? If he drives one more he can't do Ferrari testing.

Possibly. Pascal said he's not certain he can do the next race.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Considering both of them nearly got points (and K-Mag did), it works? :shrug:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Didn't all the NSXes survive Sebring?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

julian assflange posted:

gently caress F1 or Formula E. Get some hillclimbs. Pikes Peak UK

Goodwood is a hillclimb? :confused:

(it's officially classified as one, anyway)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, Pikes Peak is THE hill climb, like how The Indy 500 is THE Indy Car race and Monaco is arguably THE F1 race. It's the one everyone knows about and draws all the crowds and fame, but there's a lot of other ones out there if you know where to look.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

It's funny how they all went on and on about how Flav was tarnishing the sport by being slightly greasy and fixing one race, but you put an actual wife beater in there and not a word is said.

Fixing anything is the worst sin in sports, period. Doesn't matter what else you do, if you fix a game or race, you're banned for life.

Unless you smoke weed in the nfl, then you're really hosed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

Max Verstappen is incredibly talented because he has the ability to pass cars that are much worse than his.

Then how did he pass Bottas if that was the better car? :smug:

Norns posted:

lmbo another Max Verstappen slap fight

worst_thread.txt. "I LIKE THIS DRIVER" "NO, HE'S poo poo" "NO HE'S GOOD BECAUSE"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Well you see bottas isn't very good.

:thejoke:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, serious talk for a second: Who if given Bottas's seat, would legitimately challenge Lewis for the championship? Yes, we know Nando probably would, as would Vettel, but who else?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

Perez would probably out-qualify and outrace Lewis on occasion but I can't see him keeping a sustained campaign for the championship together, I've written him off before though and he's come back.

Yeah, Perez would be one, Max another, possibly Grosjean.

But what about Pastor? :getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

I seriously think the Bottas choice was due to there being literally no-one else available. Wehrline is too raw. I think Rosberg leaving was a nastier surprise than anybody at Merc is letting on. If there is one thing RBR does right, it's having a relatively talented pool of drivers to pick from in case of emergency.

I mean, look at how well the Kyvat/Verstappen swap paid off for RBR.

That, and as I've said before here, Mercedes had a bargaining chip with Williams in the form of engines.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Do any other drivers come out of contact at the end of this season?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'll be more surprised if Lewis leaves Mercedes than if he stays. Though it also depends on how much he wants and how close the end result is at the end of the year

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

EoRaptor posted:

I like the pastel pink, it shows up on camera much better than a hot pink would, I think. It's very noticeable without screaming 'notice me'. :)

It also brings some much needed color to the field, which is always a plus.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:chloe:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Be nice Wicka.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm all for Claire Williams jokes but this thread is going in a direction that makes me uncomfortable, much like some of the comments on my youtube dog videos.

Yeah... stow that topic guys.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Or, we could talk about how Turkey may be back! https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/turkey-f1-return-agreed-in-principle-after-carey-meets-president-892757/

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I wouldn't be surprised if they do open up an indy car team. The cost to enter is rather low, and well, given it's moving back to a spec series outside of the engines again next year, no aero devel costs. Just the cost of buying the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sulman posted:

Great for motorsport, but a bit odd in general. The crown jewel of Formula One, and a team's star driver, absent?

I thought the sponsors would never allow it, but then I remembered there aren't any.

There's also this:

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/mclaren-open-to-full-works-indycar-programme-in-future-892893/

He'll probably be in a Honda, natch, but they've had some success at the super speedways lately and this year they seem to have gotten their act together in Indy.

• Locked thread