Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Xisticide posted:

Pretty sure Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso are all out of contract at the end of this year.

Can we just fast forward to Silly Season 2017-18 already? This sounds fun as gently caress.

edit: Lewis will definitely not leave Merc, they allow him to be the "Lewis" we have come to know over the past few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The MP4-28 was absolutely not a top car. I will say his late-2012-2013 form left much to be desired though. Remember, he didn't score any points at all at Sauber in 2012 after it was announced that he would driving for McLaren in 2013.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It's not difficult to be without points in a sauber.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

His stint at McLaren was pretty rough and he was pretty unprepared for it. Last year he did really good though and he wasnt just forcing moves anymore.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

It's not difficult to be without points in a sauber.

Kamui was grabbing podiums with that car late season iirc

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah becuse Kobayashi is a bad rear end.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Nando and Big Kob in Ferrari 2018. Pwhaor.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Kamui was grabbing podiums with that car late season iirc

Yes at Japan. His only one, but he was also consistently in the points at other rounds.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Perez had his chance in a top car and all he did for himself was to prove he is a good midfielder and thats all he will ever be

Not everyone is immediately ready to be in a top team, like The Great Lewis Hamilton

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Kobayashi got the shaft in 2014 with that loving Caterham...

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So did Lotterer.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I remember reading the Motorsport comment section an people expecting great things from Lotterer - drawing parellels between his debut and Schumacher's (he was successful in sportscars and, uh, his F1 car was green as well I guess).. Then the car retired after a lap.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Had Lotterer done anything of note other than signing with the team that consistently won Lemans?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I remember reading the Motorsport comment section an people expecting great things from Lotterer - drawing parellels between his debut and Schumacher's (he was successful in sportscars and, uh, his F1 car was green as well I guess).. Then the car retired after a lap.

Didn't that happen with Schumacher too

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yes. The difference being Schumacher was a young talent and Lotterer was like what, 33 at the time? Also the Jordan was quite good.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 11, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Alain Post posted:

Didn't that happen with Schumacher too

No Motorsport didn't have a website then.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Had Lotterer done anything of note other than signing with the team that consistently won Lemans?

He won Super Formula once. Then was defeated by Kaz Nakajima and some other guys you've never heard of repeatedly.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The best young talent is Max Verstappen.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've enjoyed the racing so far this year.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Schumacher crashed the car massively in his first session iirc. Except instead of being bashful and "sorry guys" he just got in the spare car and went even faster.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How would you feel if verstappen was Nando's teammate at Mchonda?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The best Rookie talent by a county mile is Ocon, he also knows how to speak to the chuffing camera without making it sound like driving a F1 car is a dull chore you have to go through in order to get engineers more data. Get Ocon, Verstappen, and Sainz in competative cars and watch the quality of racing instantly shoot up.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Daft Cunts

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Norns posted:

Basicly Finns are loving up F1 and giving us worse racing by being mediocre

Send them back to rally and get rid of these 10000 Sebastien guys that are making everything boring.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

Daft Cunts

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

GramCracker posted:

I really have to agree with this. From the standpoint of Bottas will show up and play the number two role as consistently as possible, yea they probably made the right choice. From the standpoint of securing they WCC, I think they hosed up. Merc only has HAM to bring home the bacon, which he will do, but Bottas (two races in, granted) does not seem promising. Bottas just does enough, and even last race, that didn't seem sufficient. They should have taken Perez.

Bottas made up one or two places after his spin.

That's aggressively awful for the car he was in.

oliwan posted:

The best young talent is Max Verstappen.

Whilst I obviously agree with this, going to Merc (this conversation) wouldn't be good for him right now. Someone like Saintz would work a lot better in that seat.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

GramCracker posted:

I really have to agree with this. From the standpoint of Bottas will show up and play the number two role as consistently as possible, yea they probably made the right choice. From the standpoint of securing they WCC, I think they hosed up. Merc only has HAM to bring home the bacon, which he will do, but Bottas (two races in, granted) does not seem promising. Bottas just does enough, and even last race, that didn't seem sufficient. They should have taken Perez.

I really hope he gets familiar with the car soon, and becomes more of a factor, but it seems right now like he's just not a top tier driver. Perez would have been interesting, especially because he seems like he's developed well, and might be at the stage in his career where he could piss off Hamilton.

learnincurve posted:

The best Rookie talent by a county mile is Ocon, he also knows how to speak to the chuffing camera without making it sound like driving a F1 car is a dull chore you have to go through in order to get engineers more data. Get Ocon, Verstappen, and Sainz in competative cars and watch the quality of racing instantly shoot up.

To be honest, I have taken exactly NO notice of Ocon, but based on this I'll try to give him a look. I still can't distinguish between Magnussen and Ericsson.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vettel-Hamilton at Ferrari.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Ocon's already at the "painfully mediocre" stage, which is way beyond what most ever manage.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Gigi Galli posted:

Daft Cunts

:thurman:

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorGonzo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bzWSJG93P8
(i cant wait for HAM at ferrari but i wont be able to see him in the red firesuit without this song playing in my head)

Gigi Galli posted:

Daft Cunts

if Mclaren had spend half the time from 2009 to 2017 designing their car as they do designing weird pit crew helmets, they'd have won all those newey championships

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 11, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I started taking notice of Ocon when Force India went pink and the kid had the balls to roll up in this helmet:

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

learnincurve posted:

I started taking notice of Ocon when Force India went pink and the kid had the balls to roll up in this helmet:

That's a sweet helmet though. Over the weekend someone (the reverend?) posted about how the FI should be bright pink and I was going to suggest it needed glossy hot pink accents on a flat matte pink field with just a touch of black and white highlights but that was far too many words for phone-posting.

Didn't realize I could have just said to copy Ocon's helmet for the car.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

Hamilton, his face black, his eyes red

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

DoctorGonzo posted:

I don't think Hamilton would do well at Ferrari. He wears his heart on his sleeve and that environment is pretty cutthroat. Vettel went in thinking he was going to be like Schumacher and have the whole team behind him and that backfired.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

https://youtu.be/LQByVXERrC4

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

wuffles posted:

That's a sweet helmet though. Over the weekend someone (the reverend?) posted about how the FI should be bright pink and I was going to suggest it needed glossy hot pink accents on a flat matte pink field with just a touch of black and white highlights but that was far too many words for phone-posting.

Didn't realize I could have just said to copy Ocon's helmet for the car.

I like the pastel pink, it shows up on camera much better than a hot pink would, I think. It's very noticeable without screaming 'notice me'. :)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

EoRaptor posted:

I like the pastel pink, it shows up on camera much better than a hot pink would, I think. It's very noticeable without screaming 'notice me'. :)

It also brings some much needed color to the field, which is always a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Less black and grey is a good thing

• Locked thread