Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Honda still doesn't sound right. it sounds like its running too rich or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

loving 6 seconds. If I was alonso I'd ask for a loaded gun.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

We can't show the loving leaderboard on the side of the screen but we now loving break down the sectors to every 200 meters. Jesus loving Christ.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

To be honest, I didn't think it would even make it this far into FP1.

Well they did already have a loss of water pressure about 45 minutes in.

Also in the interest of fairness the Ferrari isn't exactly screaming either so maybe they're just really really turning it down until the vibration thing is solved.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Here we go. The Scuds are delivering.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

What were the odds of Stroll not being the first one to bin it? should've taken that bet.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Noo Massa :(

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

lol at brundle getting pissy over somebody smoking pot

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Son of Jos

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I know it's early days but Vandorne isn't really impressing me with these times here.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

They shouldn't have changed the front width to be honest. It'd make the cars look much better that way.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

DoctorGonzo posted:

So best case scenario the Ferraris split the Mercedes and hope for the best, right?

We won't really know where everybody is at until Q2 or Q3. One would hope that Ferrari have learnt their lesson from last year and haven't played their cards too early but who knows.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Is this just a hobby for Honda?

I'm being serious because their approach is about the same as mine is towards karting where I can't be assed to fix things for months at a time, it really seems like they just like going to races and wrenching on F1 cars so they asked for a budget to do that.

Edit: loving :lol:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

quote:

Furthermore, in a bid to minimise the oscillations, it is understood that Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne have been asked to change gear in a different rev range – which is costing some laptime.

How is this not an absolute crisis? Like Honda should be pulling resources from other projects to solve this immediately.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Looking at just how loving grim it is makes Alonso's 12th in free practice pretty drat impressive, too bad they'll be at the back row once everyone else turns the engine up.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

He's a really good GP2 driver, what else would you expect?

A GP2 car would not be this bad.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

Dude. Your av is just like...the worst.

I love that I've wound people up this much.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

julian assflange posted:

You bought it yourself

The last avatar I bought got replaced like a day after I bought it, it's funnier seeing what people come up with at this point. The Ron one was my favorite but the Highlander quote is a nice touch to this one.

Human Grand Prix posted:

This is what happens when you design a brand-new engine from scratch because you wasted 3 years on a very lovely concept. Also you didn't hire anyone that had experience with this formula and also you don't listen to your consultants.

I still say they should've used atleast part of last year exploring TJI or some other concept instead of throwing everything at the wall at once like they have.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That sounds like something I would say to be honest. I do definitely remember saying he was in the mould of Villeneuve.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

Stroll seems like a pretty bad Canadian tbh. I doubt he even drinks bag milk.

It's actually illegal to sell milk in bags where I live and I've seen the milk bag thing all of once in my life, I'm constantly baffled why Americans think this is a Canadian institution.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You guys know the official F1 website gives you the session start times in your own time zone right?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I have an Audi TT roadster 180, 5v turbo 1.8l. Perfect for country roads

Can't possibly be as good as a Mk2 Scirocco 16v with blown synchros and a sunroof that doesn't close evenly.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Honda's IndyCar program is entirely run and funded by Honda America. Corporate has basically no involvement. So if you were wondering why it's so much less of a shitshow, there's your answer.

In fairness, outside influence and collaboration with less Corporate involvement is the exact same answer needed for the Honda F1 program.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I seriously don't know where this idea that Mclaren can build engines came from. All they did for their road cars was buy the rights to an old racing engine and then turn them over to an engine designer to bring up to modern spec, durability and emissions standards.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Ricardo

Ricciardo

I think I've made my point.

Based off a Nissan engine. Who owns Nissan? Who drives a Renault engine?

:tinfoil:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I spent summers out in BC as a kid and I never once had a bag of milk out there. It must be an eastern thing because the only time I have seen it actually being used is in Ontario.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Thank god in TYOOL 2017 F1 cars have onboard starters

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

He still thinks he was right.

He still is, if they want to win races and championships they need a works engine.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The problem is, they really have to improve this year before the summer break or its completely done. They keep promising and promising and then delivering jack poo poo and then go into the press and say its not as bad as everyone is saying it is. Alonso is almost certainly not going to re-sign unless they're winning races by the end of the year because anything less means its probably just going to be a repeat of this whole narrative next year and I would imagine any prospective sponsor is thinking the same thing.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I still maintain they need to hire Illien and as a show of actual loving commitment and to rebuild any sort of semblance of faith in them they should pay Renault whatever the gently caress is required to get him before his gardening leave is up.

edit:

wicka posted:

I would guess, based on literally nothing, that any commitment from McLaren is dependent on Honda continuing to pay them, like, $150m/season. They can ride out any struggles pretty much indefinitely so long as Honda makes up for it. You can see in countless other sports just how important tradition can be. McLaren's never going to struggle to hire the best and brightest engineers.

If they create a situation so toxic that Honda has to terminate then Mclaren likely gets a decent portion of that money anyways, and the issue is the team is reaching a point very rapidly that sponsors are completely uninterested in signing them because the results will never come. Lest we forget they hired a marketing guy to head up the team and they've signed zero sponsors since that's happened.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 25, 2017

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Carth Dookie posted:

If Williams were smart they'd sidle up to Honda with some sushi and a big bunch of flowers and say, "hey, if this McLaren bromance doesn't pan out, I'm sure we could come to an agreement where you could throw whatever you want into the back of our car for $120m a year and we super pinky swear not to bad mouth you to the media."

The irony of this would be delicious.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

That's what I mean. It isn't coming from inside the company. They need a third party to help.

I agree, if they had these issues but it was blindingly fast and they were on it I think everyone would be far less frustrated. But its clear that they need somebody to go and at least get them going down the right path.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

DoctorGonzo posted:

The Mclaren sounds weird. They are running de tuned engines?

It sounds like its not getting complete combustion to me, they're also shifting low because of the vibration thing so its probably dropping out of the powerband.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

Hot take: Newey's time has passed

I've been saying that a while now. He's a spent force.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

phwoar Are Stroll putting it on the very limit trying to get everything out of the car there.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Only the noble Dutch race has proven talented enough to provide us quality drivers at such a young age

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y-Zm-dBcng

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Super Seb and the Kimster charming Nicole Kidman. The Scud know how to do PR.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

A Stunning Scud Performance.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Even the dog is on board with the Scud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Stroll with a 5 place grid penalty. Just fuckin' :lol: