Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Not sure if this was posted but 'Crash and Burn' is on iPlayer atm
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6153126/

I've read the book, and it's pretty interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

wicka posted:

Both were related to Colin Chapman's Lotus, kind of. Team Lotus and Lotus Cars were never part of the same organization. Lotus Cars was bought by Proton and became Group Lotus, who licensed the Lotus name to Tony Fernandes in 2010 (Good Lotus, eventually Caterham). They revoked that license in 2011 and gave it to the former Renault team (Bad Lotus), at which point Fernandes bought the assets of Team Lotus, which had been owned by ~someone else~ since the team had originally collapsed.

He bought the Team Lotus 'name', but then was legally challenged. He then bought the assets of Caterham

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

wicka posted:

He won that legal challenge.

Tbf it was a change of name, licence for Lotus as an F1 team was the issue hence as it was revoked, hence why he went the Team Lotus route, that the sorta dilutes the brand, also Fernandes

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Human Grand Prix posted:

Did you watch 2016?

2007 was the best

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Tony Montana posted:

No, comon. You don't have to like Seb just like Lewis, but you can't deny he is a poo poo hot F1 driver.

The part about McLaren is cool because it highlights how sticking around for a long rear end time in F1 is actually really hard and pretty much nobody can keep it up other than Ferrari. Yes, Ferrari are annoying how they go on about how important they are to the sport and how much them being there since the start counts for something, until you really understand even someone like McLaren can't keep it up.

You have to understand the dynamics of F1, see Brawn F1, it all cycles about

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

harperdc posted:

Seb won four titles. He won two facing strong competition, two walking away from the field, and all were as number-one driver in an Adrian Newey car. I might've gone light on him, but if you're watching F1, you'll learn about him.

(Also the whole preview weighed in over 2,000 words so :v: )

If you can read Webbers biography, it sheds some light on all that

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Posting UK times because I have it open on another tab.

Saturday: Qualifying 5am

Sunday: track parade 4:30 am. pit lane live 5am. race start 5:30am

Yes this factors in the clock change.

Race start at half past the hour? how does that work?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

wicka posted:

Grosjean seems like he was born to be a Ferrari driver.

He was till they took Kimi on

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Carth Dookie posted:

How quickly they forget how Grosjean was the first one to murder Alonso and arguably ruined, or at the very least significantly impacted Alonso's 2012 challenge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Y5Co1kZjQ

gently caress RoGro. :colbert:

He managed to overcome his nickname that Maldonado never could

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

daslog posted:

No. Just a little sick of hearing about future changes that never work out.

They arn't future changes, it's a planned suggestion to provoke debate

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That helmet is cool and good, one must admit

To be fair its nationalistic, much like Jensons was

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

wicka posted:

Lewis can't control his car breaking, but he can control his own mistakes, and he made countless mistakes over the course of the season that could have given him the five points needed to beat Rosberg in the end. That's why he quite obviously deserved to lose. Oh, and he scored fewer points than Rosberg, which is literally the only metric that matters.

Well done Baku

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Wirth1000 posted:

This is... a really dumb idea especially with the new formula.

But, hey, he's a 3x world championship winning Rihanna-obsessed superstar who desperately wishes his talents lied in music rather than make car go fast and I'm some joe blow having a coffee and eating a hot capocollo sandwich on rye at my desk so what the gently caress do I know?

I don't need to get in the simulator for Baku, I'm that good, well that cost him dearly, you don't really know what would happen for the rest of the season, but even if he got second, that's another championship come the end

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Alain Post posted:

Revson was probably the last of the great "rich playboy" F1 types, though I guess you could count someone like Niki Lauda in the 80s if you wanted to.

Also, Paolo Barilla, of the pasta family. He sucked rear end.

Hunts was the best helmet, also watching Formula E, the commentator just mentioned the competitors had a billion percent more energy than the 2nd place D'Ambrosio... that's your audience

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Alain Post posted:

Hunt definitely had a playboy image but I don't think he came from money the way someone like Peter Revson or Wolfgang von Trips did.

True but he got into F1 from money via Lord Hesketh

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Alain Post posted:

I always love those "richest ever F1 drivers" lists who list Schumacher as #1 and forget about poor Paolo Barilla who owns like half of the Barilla pasta company and is worth like 1.5 billion dollars.

Revson himself was set to be the heir to a billion dollar estate before he died.

Yeah but those figures are for earnings from the sport

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Alain Post posted:

Yeah but a lot of those are presumably stuff like business partnerships and endorsements, which gets a bit fuzzy. As far as "guy who made the most wages from F1", I'd have to guess Lewis Hamilton at this point.

Not really, see how much Schumacher was earning while driving for Ferrari at it's height, he was on 50M a season at the start going up to 80M+ (figures may not be correct but about that) then he had his own sponsorship and image rights stuff, the financial climate died and F1 drivers were a casualty of that

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Powershift posted:

the problem is these days that you can't just decide you're going to do it, throw a bunch of money at it, and start doing it. We're stuck with people dedicated to racing from a young age, and you can't gaurantee they won't be a twat. It's like when haley joel osment was hired for being a cute kid and then his head grew a bunch but his face didn't.

Watch the BBC doc I quoted earlier, talent doesn't guarentee a drive

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Alain Post posted:

fwiw the list I was using literally had guys like Eddie Irvine in it because they made a shitload of money investing in real estate post-F1.

tbf Ervine was paid a poo poo load to be a number 2 and he knew it, I see your point though

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

harperdc posted:

My favorite Jaguar F1 fact is that for a while, Irvine's contract meant he was the highest paid employee of the Ford Motor Company.

Even more fun apparently the Ford execs didn't know who he was

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

iospace posted:

Honda at the idea of getting back into F1 a couple years ago: :homebrew:
Honda right now: :shrek:

Seriously, if you watch their US ads, they make no mention of F1 but instead have an indy car on them as their "THE TECH IN YOUR CAR COMES FROM HERE!" sort of thing.

Are there any F1 related ads in the US? I'd have thought indy car would be more relevant to that market

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Theophany posted:

Hello dreadfuls. What should I burn my next Audible credit on? I'm torn between Damon Hill's, Ross Brawn's and SIR JOHN YOUNG STEWART'S books. I've already listened to Mork Wibbah's and not interested in Are Jense's as it was a pre-retirement book. Any F1 suggestions are welcome as they calm my morning commute suicidal tendencies. TIA.

Is Brawns even F1 related, I thought it was more a how how F1 operated can be relevant to other businesses

Edit: next on my list bookwise is 'The Mechanics Tale'

djssniper fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 5, 2017

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Tony Montana posted:

I'm going to poo poo my pants and take a picture and post it here

I bought Damon's book because it was highly recommended and so far it's boring as poo poo. He's just going on about being the son of a legend and I don't really give a gently caress about that, I want war stories and cool things that happened during his career. But I guess it's Damon Hill so I got what I deserved. The Brawn book is apparently just a long interview with Brawn, some people like it and some don't.

The best bits of Hill's book were serialised in a tabloid, bit like a poo poo film showing the best bits in a trailer

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

harperdc posted:

more relevant to this topic, Honda in F1 is run by/funded by Japan, whereas the IndyCar program is Honda of America/Canada. Hence why they would focus on Indy in American ads.

Regardless of the region, Honda is still Honda, you just repeated the point I was making about being relevant to the market

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

wicka posted:

Not really, no.

That is correct...from what I understand.

Which part of Honda brand don't you get?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Norns posted:

Honda F1 and say Honda Indy might as well not even have the same brand name from what I understand.

If you could explain this further, I'm not quite getting it, probably my fault

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

Its a completely different division based in America that pulls no resources from Honda Japan.

Hold on, it's a brand name, divisions are mute in this, it's still a Honda

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Tony Montana posted:

Nah, I've heard this a couple now. Honda America has nothing to do with Honda Japan. Just like HP was both HPE and HPT (HP Enterprise and HP Technology), they actually had nothing to do with each other. They've recently seperated, HPE is now just HPE and has it's own logo (which is dumb), but for the longest time anyone on the outside saw one 'HP' which was actually two totally separate companies doing totally different things. Go back to where I crap on about the ownership of Ferrari, which is a long and complicated musical chairs. Modern branding is a byzantine maze of theory and intuition and nobody really understand it other than the executive boards.

So if Honda US had a fallout like VW with the emissions issue the brand wouldn't be tarnished? Do US cars have the 'Honda' badge? like I said, news to me

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

wicka posted:

I don't know how employment laws vary country-to-country, but many companies have internal policies that require this regardless of what the law says.

It is like that in the UK, even if you lay people off, you need to change the job title to employ someone back in that position within a timeframe

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

andyf posted:

I watched the Ch4 highlights show - I was immensely amused that Ch4 straight up skipped the podium interviews since it wasn't one of their hosts doing the questions.

Channel 4 have never shown the podium interviews if they arn't live, I think it's a contract thing

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

DoctorGonzo posted:

Still pisses me off that Kimi is the last WDC for Ferrari.

Don't know why, he won by doing everything he needed to do against the odds

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Watching 'The 24 Hour War.' great docufilm

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

I'd even watch Indy if Alonso is racing in it

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f1-wants-to-boost-appeal-by-sharing-race-secrets-wztj5qg2f

Just no, Brawn is full of ideas now he doesn't need to keep secrets

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Khablam posted:

No, and no.

Nico was quick in clear air but had abysmal wheel-to-wheel racing skills. He was like, and in a sense literally was, a back-marker talent wise who put in a lot of work to make up for a lack of raw talent.
He beat a Lewis who thought he could zero-effort a season and still win, and ended up being resoundingly beaten by Lewis again at the end of the season when Lewis got his game somewhat back on.

That Nico+Mercedes was enough to be WDC says more about Merc dominance and Hamilton petulance and effort than it does about Nico.

Any legit "I think he's the best driver" Nico fans still need brain surgery ASAP before it gets worse and they root for Bottas.

You seem very upset by it all, not every WDC can be your favourite

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Who was it having problems with NowTV? I just discovered that the default is to set it to 720p

If you have a decent TV it will upscale it pretty well, this a NowTV box?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Human Grand Prix posted:

Nico made me gain a lot of respect for him in 2016. He's not a particularly great driver but he worked hard, capitalized on his opponents mistakes, and drove smart in order to win.

Hell yes that last GP was brilliant for F1, hated Ham for backing him up but fair enough it added to the suspense, havnt felt like that in a GP since Vet Web and ALO in Abby Dabby

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

C4 is pretty darn good for F1, the team works really well

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

There it is, Alonso has the Triple Crown in mind, love it if he did it, both villneuve and mansell have failed at the last, Le mans is so tough to win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Hell yes imagine a Webber/Button/Alonso Le Mans team

• Locked thread