Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Two Finger posted:

I just played my first post patch game. It definitely feels easier.
It's also good to know that Hydras can pull you out of a Nova into their loving embrace. I realise that was the same in ME3, but it still annoys me.
I was rolling with my Revenant and forcing myself to gun everything and I just keep coming to the same conclusion.
It's not worth it to do so.
It takes roughly twice as long to kill anything as punching, it really didn't seem to be hitting much harder than my Charger, and it didn't seem to tag for combos all that often either.
I can only assume this means melee is gonna be toned down a whole bunch, rather than the rifles improved so they are worth using.

The multiplayer producer clarified in Twitter that this was primarily a bugfix patch, they're still looking at balance very seriously.

https://twitter.com/ehlien/status/850160872043364352

I'm sure I believe him, but they seem at least tangentially aware of the problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Hexenritter posted:

PC Origin BarbarianSteve

Get in Discord!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814279

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Zakmonster posted:

6 Annihilation: 4a/5a/6b
6 Lance: 4a/5b/6b
6 Barrier: 4a/5a/6b
5 Offensive Biotics: 4b/5a
3 Throw

Alternatively you can skip Throw altogether and get 6a from Offensive Biotics.

Carry a Charger. Run into enemies, use Lance to detonate. Use Throw to detonate some other guy and get some shields back from Biotic Link (Barrier 5a). Run into more enemies to get shields back from Biotic Link. Lance some more. Shoot people who aren't quite dead yet. Never have to worry about dogs or redbar mooks ever again because they start floating the moment you get close to them.

The build is very high-risk high-reward, because your staying alive is contingent on you running close to enemies, which is counter-intuitive. Don't just run at them, run into the nearest cover that's near them. Build is great if you have a partner to roam with, especially a person who can detonate/prime for you (I found Human Vanguard with both Nova and Shockwave specced to prime works really well with this build).

At the same time, don't be afraid to hide in cover and let the enemies close in on you to enter your Annihilation, before you start blowing them up.

Almost correct, but you want Barrier 5b for constant shield regen while punching.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Zakmonster posted:

I don't punch. I get constant shield regen from things entering Annihilation and using Throw.

Try punching. With Juggernaut Shield, the bonus from Barrier 5b and 30% from a pistol melee mod on the Charger, you hit like a goddamn truck.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Zakmonster posted:

I have. I don't like it. If I wanted to punch things I'd play one of the vanguards. I'm playing an adept, I wanna sling space magic and make things blow up.

That's fair. I play my Asari Adept in a weird way. Rounds 1, 2, 4 and 5 I mostly just dick around with my sniper rifle popping heads and melee anything that gets too close to death while it's floating.

Rounds 3 and 6 I pull out the charger and dash around like a madman punching bitches.

Round 7 is about a minute 1:15 of sniper time, 30 seconds of running around and 15 seconds of hiding.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Corzen posted:

Good fun tonight doing Golds with CapnBry and Relentless. Quite a lot more fun than doing Bronze over and over. I just need to learn to shut my jinxin' mouth about how the random enemy will likely be Kett.

STEALTH FIENDS.

Seriously, most of the sound design is so good, but they forgot fiend footsteps. Combined with the bit where they have no z axis on their sync kill and can do it from 2 floors below you it makes them sneakier than the guys who are actually invisible.

Good games all around tho. I finally got an Ishray, which just feels really good to use.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Alteisen posted:

I really wanna see a video of this.

Stolen from Reddit: http://imgur.com/a/zVp78

The first one is great, because after the fiend kills him, the game remembers he was on the 2nd floor and puts him back.

//edit

Apparently they can sometimes grab you from across the map too.

Relentless fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 8, 2017

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

precision posted:

All this is to say, if you want to kill things fast, play Bronze. If you want to get money fast, play Gold. If you want to kill guys really fast and also get money really fast... play ME3.

Or play MEA with 4 people abusing biotic melee and sniper rifles.

We cleared a gold revenant last week in like 13 minutes with 4 goons all species for melee and sniper rifles.

It's not that it can't be done, it's that there are only two viable options to get there. Powers are fun, explosions are fun, but they just aren't useful right now. The balance is a hot loving mess, several guns were and are (poor Hornet) flat out broken. There is no master plan in place right now, so defending anything as intentional is pretty silly.

The MP producer flat out said the patch wasn't a balance patch, it was primarily bug fixes and they're looking at balance next. The only real balance change was making melee interruptable to prevent 4 vanguards from punching a hydra to death in 8 seconds.

Digirat and myself and a few other people are coming across as really harsh, but it comes from a desire for it to be better. We are playing this on every difficulty and trying different builds and comparing guns in Discord every night. We want this to be good and to have every class be solid in gold. ME3 made a sweet volus vanguard that worked well (esp. with a gauntlet), we just want the same here. And are a little annoyed they're so far away from that ideal.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Bootcha posted:

I have a theory that shotguns are simply not shooting enough pellets per shot.

That would make a lot of sense, I've been having trouble making them do the listed damage per shot, and kind of wrote off testing them since they're all so bad anyway.

Once I get home I'll see if I can prove it.

I also just had an interesting thought to fix Revenant. Swap assemblers and Observers. More, lower damage observers plus tougher assemblers that use cover and spit out breachers.

Part of their problem is that observers are the real threat... but the most easily neutralized by a sniper.

Also give the destroyer a self destruct sync kill that only activates when the turrets are destroyed, make it a tactical choice to power through it or take out the second turret.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

highmodulus posted:

Just got it this week, former MA3MP player. On PC Origin: elf6c still messing about in bronze but like playing as a team

Get in discord and say hi! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814279

precision posted:

Is sticky grenade bugged? Taking the damage upgrades doesn't actually change the value on the power screen. Also it doesn't seem like it should take 6 of them from cloak to kill a berserker.

The damage never updates on the screen, but does list the % damage modifiers below. And Berserkers just have a fuckload of hp. A level 3 grenade does 1485 damage, which is a little better than a non crit shot from any of the high end sniper rifles. And grenades can't crit, so that lines up.

At least pre-patch, bronze raiders had 800ish hp, silver had 1600, and gold 2400. Berserkers have 6-8x the hp of a raider, plus who know how armor reduces damage, sooo... yeah, all 6 to kill a berserker sounds about right. Not bugged, unless you have the 50% armor damage talent and it still takes 6.

The 6 cloaked stickies strat is still one of the best burst dps abilities in the game, you just have to hit 2 ammo boxes between bursts.

For reference, unbuffed melee hits for 300ish, it's just really easy to get +175% damage and break the 800 damage mark.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's time for Uncle Relentless's Math Corner again! Fun fact! Shotguns show Total Damage Per Shot in the game, but Per Pellet in the app.

So the Katana X is 427 in the game, but 61 in the app. 61x7 = 427. 2 good bodyshots take out a bronze raider, but I had to try REALLY hard to get both of them to land. Effectively I was landing 5 or 6 pellets per shot at anything greater than literally touching them.

So, per pellet and per shot seem correct, but I think with the more nuanced hitboxes (I can definitely snipe between somebody's legs and miss them), generally small models on everything besides the Hydra, Fiend and Destroyer, and a busted smart choke they just suck.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

g0del posted:

Do you happen to know how much damage a cobra does? Because I got stuck fighting two berserkers as a vanguard once and for some dumb reason I needed to get away fast and didn't want to just leave them. So I shot one with a cobra and neither died. Then I shot another cobra (I can't be positive that I hit the same berserker both times) and they still weren't dead. I'm curious if gold berserkers should be able to shrug off cobras, or if I ran into a bug or weird lag situation.

I'm not sure how much raw damage they do, but Cobras suffer from MASSIVE damage falloff.

If two berserkers are standing right next to each other, and you shoot one in the face, he will die, and his buddy will have 1/3rd to 1/2 health left.

I'm pretty sure that's why they suck against fiends. There's something weird with the hitbox calculation because it NEVER seems to "direct hit" a fiend like it does the other big guys. It's bad enough that I've had raiders definitely take damage from a cobra (because I was the only one alive), but not die.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Also, I did some cleanup on my spreadsheet, it's not perfect, but if anybody wants to poke around:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E1inVcT4eIi1pFwTMptqMYPMLbfIkUavyeyBY5LjQYk/edit#gid=0

The single shot sniper rifle times include getting a reload in after every shot, so they're sort of skewed weird. I've also manually edited (and noted) the ROF on a couple of weapons that don't fire at the listed ROF, notably the Hornet loses over half it's RoF to burst fire animations, and the Hesh is also screwy. I'm sure the Sandstorm is as well, but I can't be bothered to check it.

I've also automatically weighted the accuracy numbers to adjust for not being able to hit poo poo, but that only really shows on the shotguns, and even if you don't account for that, most of them still suck!

The breakpoints group around 800/1600/2400 health, so there are certain sniper rifles (widow) that really benefit from a barrel mod to hit that breakpoint early on, but then no longer need it once they're maxed.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

From Twitter, they're introducing a new multiplayer objective round.

It's the old package delivery mechanic, but without being able to juggle it, and possibly not dodge. Woooo.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Gasoline posted:

You put on two different ammo consumables, one in each slot. Only one of them will show up, the other will pretend to be unequipped, except it doesn't unequip and now the game thinks you shoot two bullets at once.

Here's a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpZtvYFo4fY

This is the best and worst thing.

Have you tested it with shotguns? Or the falcon??

I am so sad I'm at work and can't play with this right now.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Digirat posted:

Holy poo poo.

Working as intended.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

Looks like they may have fixed the double ammo exploit server side -- whenever I equip a second type of ammo it deequips the first now

It looks like it unequips, but exit out without equipping another, and check your team's loadout. You'll see both, and you'll see both icons in game overlapping each other.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

just tested it and man does it ever work

Anybody tested it with shotguns or the falcon/venom?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Cheers mate, will do this

There's 3 main reasons to max basics first: You get a charger x, which while not fantastic is still drat solid. You get a fair chunk of uncommons at a 75% discount. And you get the pistol melee mod x to put on your charger x for 30% more melee damage, which is one on the best ways to kill dudes right now.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

It's nice to max out basics now too since after you're done you will only get consumables so you know you're absolutely done

And once you can run gold, you're looking at like 16 gold runs to max out all your basics, which is 8 premium boxes.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

tooterfish posted:

Getting mixed messages here!

I watched a poorly specced angaran avenger take 10 minutes to finish wave 5 gold with a piranha and no boosters after a fiend teleport sync killed 2 of us and the 3rd guy just didn't bother to get himself up before getting stomped.

There's enough mobility that you CAN solo gold with an avenger I.

You shouldn't do this in a game with other people, though. You should bring ammo boosters, because even nonbugged extra explosion stagger is great.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

precision posted:

Agreed though for me the patch seems to have made it a bit better, at least on some characters.

The characters with actual weapons (KroHammer, AsSword) definitely need a hard lock like the old Batarian Falcon Punch had

I've had good luck with the biotic punch taking a half step backwards before punching again.

Just spamming the button is almost a guaranteed miss on the followup hit.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Two Finger posted:

RIP the days of Batarian charging and immediately holding melee for a guaranteed hit. Goddamn that BatVan was insane.

That's a funny way to spell volus vanguard w/ gauntlet.

At this point I'd be okay with making it an ability.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Two Finger posted:

Yeah I just went and fired up ME3 to see if I was having rose-tinted glasses.
Gold with a Mattock X with a level 1 engineer and no passives I was dropping husks in 5 shots or less, a Marauder in a clip, and Cannibals in about 10 shots. And my aim is loving atrocious so almost none of those would have been headshots. Just.... I realise it's a different game, but it doesn't seem right.

Try the dual ammo bug. It makes gold feel... better.

On gold, about 15-20 revenant ammo to kill a raider, berserker in a turbocharged clip plus a punch, assuming I'm at close range and hitting headshots. I still weirdly prefer the charger on my asari adept , it doesn't have the kickback and I can just dump, detonate and run.

Neither of them are as good as a double damage isharay just one shotting observers and sharpshooters like I'm playing on silver, but they're functional and fill that role of constant bullet hose.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

Annihilation field seems to require stuff to be on the same z axis tho :cool:

http://i.imgur.com/jhTXp7R.gifv

There's something odd going on there. He's definitely being staggered, but not by your combo.

I know at least the CC works on the Z Axis, because if I hang out on the raised platform in Firebase Zero, I end up with packs of adhi and raiders floating around below me.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

This video is better: https://vnh967tkwow

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Digirat posted:

So I think you're right rose, there's a somewhat bigger jump between difficulties but that's just one factor out of many.

Offhand, it appears the devs thought the change of not having a shared cooldown would drastically change the damage output of every class. Ditto being able to combo every explosion type off each other.

Then they overcompensated by upping everything's cooldown AND nerfing the damage AND nerfing explosions. Add in not calculating ROF correctly, and just generally having more hp to lower damage guns...

And it was all to solve a non-existent problem. ME3 had a few soldiers where 2 of their 3 abilities were off cooldown. Or just never used.

The balance in general is just off. They need to figure out how long enemies should take to kill, and work backwards from there. Powers, explosions, and guns are just operating at different scales, so it's hard to figure out where the real balance issues are.

Except silent teleporting stretch Armstrong fiends, those need to be fixed asap.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

I don't have a problem with fiends because I just queue up against outlaws every time

And with no xp/credit penalty, why wouldn't you?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

If I was just putting together a test server that I got to play god with... Go 1000, 1500, 2000 for raider health. Explosions at 500/750/1000 damage. 2 to kill a raider with nothing else, but possible with power damage bonuses and explosion bonuses to get seem close to an instagib. Or throwing a proper charged overload into a group of 3 in an annihilation field should gib all three.

Sharpshooter types at 2.5x health, berserkers/nullifier at 5x.

Melee base damage should stay the same, but every non rage melee buff should be nerfed. It shouldn't be possible for any jackass to break 650 damage per punch without sacrificing another couple of good upgrades except krogans. It takes away from their identity. Krogans should absolutely break 1k damage per headbutt.

Widow/isharay type sniper rifles at 500 damage with a 3x multiplier at I, easily able to break the 2k mark with the right setup on gold.

Vanquisher at 300ish damage with a 2.5x multiplier, 3 headshots initially with a spare in the chamber, able to get that down to 2 headshots or a full clip of body shots.

Shotguns should hit like trucks, but 1.5x multiplier for weakspot damage. Ruzad should hit for 1.2k base, something like the Hesh should hit for 600ish. With missing pellets you will probably be able to 2 shot a raider from up close, with a punch to finish it off if you aren't dead on.

Assault rifles should generally have 2x modifiers, Mattock with its 16 clip should be doing about 150 a bullet. Enough that a full clip of body shots always kills a raider, but headshotting on a soldier class can take out an observer without reloading. Revenant should be at 80-100ish damage a bullet. Slower ttk as you aren't headshotting as much with it, but plenty of sustain. Assault rifles generally need way less bloom as well.

Smgs are actually about right for this, but stuff like the sidewinder could use a big buff. Talon should be at 500/shot. Anything rapid fire at 1.5x headshot, semiauto/burst at 2x in this category.

With this, adjust spawn sizes up, and lower their individual damage a bit for the base raider/chosen. Bronze SHOULD be a joke to anybody with decent gear. Silver relies on actually hitting headshots OR having leveled gear with barrels to make it a complete joke. A lot if stuff like overload and need their base damage doubled, incinerate could be tripled.

Raiders are junk, and should be killable with a full clip of any gun, or half a clip of a soldier with all the gun passives, or almost any pair of abilities (including the buffed explosion damage). 2 grenades, overload/incinerate combo. Make the midrange enemies a bigger threat with more hp that require coordination or burning all 6 grenades to kill in under 10-15 seconds.

Also, make assemblers the mid tier enemy, shields over armor, and observers the base tier enemy with like 1/3rd their current damage and spawn way more of them. And make them 3/4th shield, 1/4th health. Buff breachers with a small shield. Let engineers really feel good about pulling the faction they're designed to fight.

Gold should be possible, add back in that 4th tier Platinum with raiders at 3k health base and giving out 120k/win for the real hardcore.

One of the biggest problems I see right now is the lack of specialization. Any jackass adept can do great with a black widow and no powers, so going soldier doesn't help that much. Anybody with a juggernaut shield can outpunch a krogan without. No explosion focused build will push out more dps than either of those. There's no niche for "The soldier is going to dump ammo into the berserkers, the adept is going to clear raider 6 packs, the infiltrator is going to get behind and drop a full BW clip into the hydra tank and bring it down to 1/3rd health while the vanguard solos the smaller spawn behind us."

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Vidmaster posted:

Kett are fun until you get stuck in a room with a fiend and ascendent and then rubberband off the door frame for 30 seconds before you get sync killed.

I think the Kett are really well designed as a faction. You've got melee trash mobs that actually require paying attention, basic shooty dude, your Actual Threat dude, a Sneaky Dude, a Big drat Threat and an alternate squishier but requires more coordination Big drat Threat.

Remnant at least have a real Big drat Threat, Observers and Assemblers are decent at their jobs, but Breachers are the least effective trash mob, and nullifiers are hilariously bad at their job unless you're completely pinned down by observers. It's a decent trick, but outside of observers and destroyer turrets, they're all super defensive and easy to snipe from across the map. I think they'd be more challenging, but the two real threats (Observers and Nullifiers) are countered by 2 of the better dps options (Snipers and melee).

Outlaws have a carbon copy but less effective trash mob of the Kett, Anarchists, Agents, Pariahs, and Berserkers are all competing to be a midlevel threat, but the AI on 3 of them means they're more annoying. And Berserkers don't actually do that much damage unless you decide to get in a punching match with them. And their big drat threat is neutered by shooting it in the eyeball. Sharpshooters are decent at their jobs, but boring. They've got the most variety, but most of them aren't threats. If the Agents had decoy and invis, and actually got close to you to shotgun you, they'd could decent. Instead he just decoys and hides behind low cover waiting to get shot in the head. If Anarchists did anything but hide and throw a single grenade every 15 seconds, they'd be a threat. Pariahs freak out and die as soon as you punch them.

The real problem with the Kett is they got two buggy sync kills compared to none for Remnant and one for Outlaws that I've never had grab me from another floor or from 15 feet away. If they fixed those, and Outlaws stopping bringing their crappy subpar turians, asari and salarians and just brought more Krogan, we'd all be fighting Kett as the easy group. But so much of the Outlaw later wave spawn budget is taken up by mobs that are just not that good at their job.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

PureRok posted:

Why are there even different cards for sex? Why not just have a sex toggle? Is it just to pad out the list to make it look like there are more classes than there actually are? I think it is.

Pretty much. In ME3 people used to spec some classes differently for fighting different factions, or have a silver farming glass cannon vanguard and a more durable one for gold. But that's about it.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Dilb posted:

The huntress is obviously better than the salarian architect, and it's not like the krogan mercenary is that good (rip flamer), or the havoc trooper is that unique. Admittedly the huntress's main niche is that her other powers are so mediocre you can focus on sniping, using throw and lance just to detonate combos every once in a while.

She's a weird relic from 3. She used to have Cloak, Warp, Dark Channel. So a sniper with two long range dots that can combo off each other (Dark Channel->Warp) or drop the armor debuff/shield strip of of warp, stay cloaked through a tier 6 Cloak evolution and then start shooting.

But they got rid of 2 of her powers, and switched cloak to one that doesn't let her get a free cast. Went from being a REALLY well designed class with a specific niche to a sniper that can get barrier back by punching. To be closer to where she was, she needs Invasion instead of throw, but that still doesn't really address the problem of just not having neat interactions between all 3 powers.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

Actually I'm at 5/3/3/3 not 6/3/3/3. So yeah maybe the non-cobra 4/5 level upgrades are rares.

I got to 5/5/4/4 maxing basic boxes. They just don't come up often.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

No surprise, but no update this week.

https://twitter.com/ehlien/status/854801346867990528

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Houdini posted:

How bad is the Venom shotgun? :stare:

It's better than the Hornet?

That's the best thing I can say about it.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

moot the hopple posted:

The modifiers to Apex missions where certain weapons get a 50% damage bonus feels like where weapons should be at as default.

The Revenant with the double ammo bug actually feels pretty great. You can actually kill something at medium range with a scope, but it takes some burst firing to get headshots to land. And you can just unload up close and tear through a couple of raiders or a good chunk of a berserker with a full clip.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

:same:

I'M ALIVE!

I have a comically old video card so I need to replace that before I join youse guys in Andromeda. On the whole, good?

It's vanilla Diablo 3 good. It's good, and you can see where it could be great, but it's got some issues preventing it from getting there right now.

A solid netcode update and a couple balance updates and it will be way better, but it looks like they're only patching once a month to go through console certification.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Can't wait for the new balance patch to loving kill melee damage, and nerf weapons some more.

The only weapon that got nerfed was the vanquisher headshot multiplier bug.

The asstastic Mattock is still better than it was pre-damage nerf. It was firing at 1/3rd the expected rate due to a forced stop in the semiauto firing.

Not that there's not time for them to gently caress this up even more...

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/ehlien/status/854879709502492672

https://twitter.com/ehlien/status/855065120786886657

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

poetry again...

Some devs personal Twitter is the worst and only way to have a discussion about MEA balance.

I get that having forums or allowing comments on the company blog leads to a lot of shitposting and having to hire more people to moderate the shotposting. But it's also a lot more professional than this poo poo.

• Locked thread