Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Been playing the campaign recently but I popped into some multiplayer today and it seems maybe shotguns actually do damage now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

gently caress this game

http://i.imgur.com/2UYPj3m.gifv

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Relentless posted:

I've had good luck with the biotic punch taking a half step backwards before punching again.

Just spamming the button is almost a guaranteed miss on the followup hit.

RIP the days of Batarian charging and immediately holding melee for a guaranteed hit. Goddamn that BatVan was insane.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I hope the next patch for multi is to make the Double-Damage glitch not a glitch.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I just went and fired up ME3 to see if I was having rose-tinted glasses.
Gold with a Mattock X with a level 1 engineer and no passives I was dropping husks in 5 shots or less, a Marauder in a clip, and Cannibals in about 10 shots. And my aim is loving atrocious so almost none of those would have been headshots. Just.... I realise it's a different game, but it doesn't seem right.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Two Finger posted:

RIP the days of Batarian charging and immediately holding melee for a guaranteed hit. Goddamn that BatVan was insane.

That's a funny way to spell volus vanguard w/ gauntlet.

At this point I'd be okay with making it an ability.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Two Finger posted:

Gold with a Mattock X with a level 1 engineer and no passives I was dropping husks in 5 shots or less, a Marauder in a clip, and Cannibals in about 10 shots. And my aim is loving atrocious so almost none of those would have been headshots. Just.... I realise it's a different game, but it doesn't seem right.

Try the dual ammo bug. It makes gold feel... better.

On gold, about 15-20 revenant ammo to kill a raider, berserker in a turbocharged clip plus a punch, assuming I'm at close range and hitting headshots. I still weirdly prefer the charger on my asari adept , it doesn't have the kickback and I can just dump, detonate and run.

Neither of them are as good as a double damage isharay just one shotting observers and sharpshooters like I'm playing on silver, but they're functional and fill that role of constant bullet hose.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Digirat posted:

Haha did you get these standards from MMOs or something? twenty bullets or over 2 seconds of the trigger held down to kill the most basic kind of enemy in a shooter is absurd, and that also requires an amount of poo poo that an extreme minority of players actually have right now. I am around the top 1200 in the world for apex rank and my revenant is II, AR barrel IV. poo poo like the vanquisher and black widow are good out of the box, so they don't need 100+ hours of grinding or $100+ of whaling to be worthwhile, and there's no reason other guns shouldn't be the same. "It gets sort of ok if you grind for another 40 hours" is not what anyone needs to hear when they get their thirtieth disappointing weapon.

Your attempts to defend this are backfiring pretty hard. Putting numbers on it just reveals how dumb it really is. And again, this is considering one of the best assault rifles in the game. There's a lot of poo poo that only gets worse from here.

Yeah, ok dude. You sure showed me.

EDIT: I can't believe how much time I'm wasting with this game, taking an entire 2 seconds to kill a mook. Imagine what I could do with all that spare extra seconds if BW buffed all the guns to do double damage.

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 15, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Honestly they shouldn't increase weapon damage across the board significantly anyway, it would gently caress Bronze and Silver up way too much.

They should, on the other hand, significantly reduce enemy health scaling on Gold, and maybe just a tad on Silver. Some of the weapons could also use 15-20% damage buffs after that.

The goal should be for each weapon to be baseline viable and pleasant to use on the appropriate tier. Right now Bronze guns aren't good in Bronze, and Silver guns aren't good in Silver, and most guns are useless in Gold unless you're actively using the ammo glitch thing to make them do double damage. I think that's more a factor of enemies just having too much loving health on Gold, though, which is also why most powers feel lovely as well.

Edit: That said, I also kind of think that human-sized enemies that have armor should not be CC immune, and larger enemies with armor should be resistance but not immune. CC immunity should be conferred by shields only, and then enemies on Gold should have a portion of their health converted into shields (or barriers; are barriers not a thing anymore?) where they might not otherwise have it on lower difficulties.

Making Gold less about enemies with fuckloads of health and more about enemies becoming situationally CC immune and doing more damage would be better, imo.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 15, 2017

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Another thing they could do is frontload the scaling. Have Rank 1 weapons start with more damage but keep the top-end damage at Rank X the same. You gain less with each rank of the weapon, but at least it will feel more usable right off the bat.

Also, they need to relook their design of semi-auto rifles and sniper rifles. The Halberd should have really high damage per bullet, almost as high as the Vanquisher has now, but with the normal 1.5x weakpoint multiplier - 2 to 3 headshots to kill a mook, 4 or 5 bodyshots to kill the same mook. The Vanquisher should have its damage halved, but get a 4x weakpoint multiplier - a single headshot to kill a mook, several bodyshots to kill the same.

Lightning Knight posted:

(or barriers; are barriers not a thing anymore?)

No biotics in the Heleus cluster. Of the Outlaw mobs, the Pariah should have Barriers, but instead she has armor for some reason. But I suppose shields/barriers are functionally identical in this game, with the only difference being flavor, and even then it only matters to Ryder and her crew. I don't know if barriers and shields had any differences in ME3. Assuming not, it was still more interesting to see biotic enemies having barriers instead of shields, just as a consistency of world-building thing.

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 15, 2017

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
gently caress i'm tired of joining gold pubbie games with them hacking it all.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Zakmonster posted:

No biotics in the Heleus cluster. Of the Outlaw mobs, the Pariah should have Barriers, but instead she has armor for some reason. But I suppose shields/barriers are functionally identical in this game, with the only difference being flavor, and even then it only matters to Ryder and her crew. I don't know if barriers and shields had any differences in ME3. Assuming not, it was still more interesting to see biotic enemies having barriers instead of shields, just as a consistency of world-building thing.

They could probably stand to make the initial and top end damage of lower tier guns higher, tapering off as you get into better guns. Right now guns like the Katana or Avenger are tickle machines on Bronze, and they should be significantly better there and slightly better in Silver.

Ah, I see. I haven't finished the campaign yet, been busy with work and school and other games, I sort of assumed biotics exist because Ascendants seem to be using them.

That said I just generally think that enemies should have less health on Gold, but more of them should be shielded. CC immunity would be more interesting to play around and would make shield stripping more valuable than just having red bar enemies with stupidly high health pools.

I think that the damage enemies do is fine in Gold, though. They just need to die faster. I don't think that as a single player you should be able to dump on Gold enemies, but it should be reasonable to quickly kill one or two basic enemies per magazine of a gold or UR weapon, depending on what it is and your aim.

Also I really wish that the sniper rifle enhanced scope gave increased stability, because holy poo poo stuff like the Indra and Raptor badly need it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zakmonster posted:

Yeah, ok dude. You sure showed me.

EDIT: I can't believe how much time I'm wasting with this game, taking an entire 2 seconds to kill a mook. Imagine what I could do with all that spare extra seconds if BW buffed all the guns to do double damage.

"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a cyclone

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Zakmonster posted:

Barriers were vulnerable to shield-stripping and biotic powers, and also concussive shot for some reason. Shields were only vulnerable to shield stripping powers. Power-only adepts were more effective against reapers and collectors, less effective against geth and cerberus. Then they added the acolyte and reegar, and shields and barriers stopped being much of a concern for anyone.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Anyone need a pal for golds silvers on PS4 hit up me, BurtReynoldsIRL

RIP RickyMartinIrl

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Zakmonster posted:

I don't know if barriers and shields had any differences in ME3. Assuming not
You're assuming wrong.

Warp and biotic explosions did double damage to barriers, but only half damage to shields.

Overload did three times the damage to shields and barriers, but only half damage to health.

Tech burst did double damage to shields, normal damage to barriers.

It's weird that they took these interactions out tbh, they've been here from ME1 IIRC (not the combos, but the distinction between barriers and shields), and made things a little more interesting. It's also weird that we have Cora humble bragging about warping steel girders, but they removed the biotic bonus damage to armour in game.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 15, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

tooterfish posted:

You're assuming wrong.

Warp and biotic explosions did double damage to barriers, but only half damage to shields.

Overload did three times the damage to shields and barriers, but only half damage to health.

It's weird that they took these interactions out tbh, they've been here from ME1 IIRC (not the combos, but the distinction between barriers and shields), and made things a little more interesting. It's also weird that we have Cora humble bragging about warping steel girders, but they removed the biotic bonus damage to armour in game.

Asari biotics can't warp steel girders

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

tooterfish posted:

I feel like that's a consequence of the singleplayer game going to a classless system and them wanting to avoid certain abilities feeling mandatory.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Digirat posted:

"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a cyclone

Since you mentioned it, I've been liking the Cyclone more and more these past couple of nights, strangely enough. Only good for classes that can detonate regularly, because it seems to prime really fast (within the first few bullets?).

Also, its accuracy decay isn't as bad as the Revenant, most shots go into a pretty narrow cone and you can reliably hit a target that's quite a distance away. It could stand to do with a few extra points of damage, but I still like how it handles and it serves that 'good at any range' roles ARs are supposed to fill.

tooterfish posted:

You're assuming wrong.

Ah. Forgot most of those fine details. Just recall using Overload to strip shields and barriers.

Yeah, it sucks that they removed the distinction between barriers and shields, even if they just kept it to a 'the Asari have different colored shields'. Lost some flavor from the game.

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Apr 15, 2017

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Digirat posted:

Haha did you get these standards from MMOs or something? twenty bullets or over 2 seconds of the trigger held down to kill the most basic kind of enemy in a shooter is absurd, and that also requires an amount of poo poo that an extreme minority of players actually have right now. I am around the top 1200 in the world for apex rank and my revenant is II, AR barrel IV. poo poo like the vanquisher and black widow are good out of the box, so they don't need 100+ hours of grinding or $100+ of whaling to be worthwhile, and there's no reason other guns shouldn't be the same. "It gets sort of ok if you grind for another 40 hours" is not what anyone needs to hear when they get their thirtieth disappointing weapon.

Your attempts to defend this are backfiring pretty hard. Putting numbers on it just reveals how dumb it really is. And again, this is considering one of the best assault rifles in the game. There's a lot of poo poo that only gets worse from here.

Two Finger posted:

You two need to play something else. Get some oxygen before you do.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope they never patch the ammo mod bug. All four of us had two of them on, me a vanguard, two duelists and a soldier. Everything exploded. :v:

e: I'm not convinced the penetration mods work though

e: Also it sucks a whooooole lot that I have to rely on sheer luck to max out classes now. I need five more vanguard cards that I'm not getting. :argh:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 15, 2017

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I hope they never patch the ammo mod bug. All four of us had two of them on, me a vanguard, two duelists and a soldier. Everything exploded. :v:

e: I'm not convinced the penetration mods work though

e: Also it sucks a whooooole lot that I have to rely on sheer luck to max out classes now. I need five more vanguard cards that I'm not getting. :argh:

Friends tried the ammo bug. 3 soldiers and an infiltrator, fighting Kett on Gold. Fiend spawned and died in about 5 seconds.

Penetration mods seem to work, but they don't do the 'extra damage against armor' thing they did in ME3. They now just allow you to shoot through cover and other obstacles, which can sometimes include enemies.

And yeah, they should also have frontloaded the skill points on class cards. Get your skill points from Rank 1 to Rank V, the rest are for cosmetic options.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Zakmonster posted:

Another thing they could do is frontload the scaling. Have Rank 1 weapons start with more damage but keep the top-end damage at Rank X the same. You gain less with each rank of the weapon, but at least it will feel more usable right off the bat.

The difference between rank 1 and rank x is already only 20%. They just need to nerf enemy scaling. hard.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's almost impossible for them to get the balance in a place that feels good as long as there's that much of a health jump between difficulties. So long as enemies on silver and gold have double and triple what they do on bronze, there's just about no way for them to do it. Anything that kills in a satisfying length of time on gold will be super overpowered on a difficulty where enemies have 1/3 as much health, and anything that is merely adequate for bronze will turn into a bad joke when everything has 3x as much health. ME3 had pretty huge jumps in difficulty too though (silver and gold were x1.75 and x2.5 IIRC) so I doubt they are going to recognize the problem with it.

It's very unnecessary too, because enemies on gold shred you pretty drat fast if you have no DR. They're threatening enough on their own merits.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So what assault rifle should I be going for? Right now I inky maxed out all my basic packs and now investing in tmr premiums. Also, I can't seem to survive on any class except vanguard in gold at the moment. My krogan engineer just melts. I want to try the soldier with turbocarge and conc shot build but I don't have good enough weapons to do it yet? Avenger x, charger x, vanquished 1 isn't going to cut it without ammo bug

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So what assault rifle should I be going for? Right now I inky maxed out all my basic packs and now investing in tmr premiums. Also, I can't seem to survive on any class except vanguard in gold at the moment. My krogan engineer just melts. I want to try the soldier with turbocarge and conc shot build but I don't have good enough weapons to do it yet? Avenger x, charger x, vanquished 1 isn't going to cut it without ammo bug

Charger is actually one of the best weapons for it because it applies ammo powers really quickly. Only better weapon would be the Hurricane.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So what assault rifle should I be going for? Right now I inky maxed out all my basic packs and now investing in tmr premiums.
Raptor.

It may have the body of a weak and feeble sniper, but it has the heart and stomach of an assault rifle.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Digirat posted:

It's almost impossible for them to get the balance in a place that feels good as long as there's that much of a health jump between difficulties. So long as enemies on silver and gold have double and triple what they do on bronze, there's just about no way for them to do it. Anything that kills in a satisfying length of time on gold will be super overpowered on a difficulty where enemies have 1/3 as much health, and anything that is merely adequate for bronze will turn into a bad joke when everything has 3x as much health. ME3 had pretty huge jumps in difficulty too though (silver and gold were x1.75 and x2.5 IIRC) so I doubt they are going to recognize the problem with it.

It's very unnecessary too, because enemies on gold shred you pretty drat fast if you have no DR. They're threatening enough on their own merits.

I've a feeling that part of their threat is tied to the fact they're harder to kill. There's basically more of them hanging around for longer. If they die faster, then possibly their individual damage needs to be increased, to maintain the threat level. Note that I am talking about basic-level mooks only, but some of the other mobs could stand some adjustment on the toughness-damage spectrum, like the Saboteur or Agent.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/ZfHzMEp.gifv

This is extremely my poo poo right here.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This just happened to me, except from about five times the distance. I was halfway across a room on zero.

Nothing's wrong though, it's a design necessity.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

That is what purgatory is. Endless millennia spent trying to run closer and closer to the extraction point but never quite making it

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I ended up making it at like 5 seconds, and was loving praying that I didn't somehow get rubberbanded back to my beginning position.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Reminds me, one thing that I have to worry about with this game that I don't have to worry about with other games is suspending Steam downloads.

Steam is nice enough to not download 50 gigabyte updates while you're in the middle of an online game. Origin has no way of telling Steam this is the case, and steam will happily completely saturate your network connection grabbing updates.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

poo poo like this is why Bioware should just go all the way and trust each peer completely or something. If a peer reports getting to a landing site, don't teleport them back. What kind of fix would be necessary? Also, I'm mostly talking out of my rear end here.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh we postin laggy videos now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knzpbWGx2Ww

Working as intended. :v:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Well gently caress, I haven't had any time to play this past week so imagine my surprise when I finally log in and see I've got enough mission funds for the Juggernaut shield, only when I get to the item store page, they've cycled it out. Ah well, combatives it is.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Is there any difference between the kineticist's melee and the other biotic classes? I noticed her melee kills credit 'biotic amplifier' where everyone else is 'biotic punch'. It looks the same so I'm wondering if it's just flavor for her special ability.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Vanguard sometimes credits their kills as that too, it's not any different.

Speaking of the vanguard you know how the Fiend's melee doesn't care about Z levels? Neither does your Nova. If there's an Observer a hundred feet above you just ground pound, you'll hit it. :v:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Annihilation field seems to require stuff to be on the same z axis tho :cool:

http://i.imgur.com/jhTXp7R.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Bashing your skull against a wall for seven rounds is your poo poo eh. You'll get along great with this thread's regulars.

• Locked thread