Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

CapnBry posted:

Thanks for this! Coming from a Vanguard I was confused as to how the class works without being able to instantly reset shields and having to run everywhere like a slowpoke. It works much better with the skill that gives shields on biotic and I had no problems in my matches tonight. Now I am kind of upset that the +biotic equipment is only 15%. I almost feel like the +sniper damage equipment may be better for when I am shooting at the bigger mobs I can't get too close to.

Honestly, outside of the Fiend, there is nothing else you can't just keep dancing around. Having the Expose debuff from 2 sources means that even your most piddly weapon is doing significant damage to a Hydra. And it also helps if/when your teammates decide to focus down the big targets.

I suggest trying an Equalizer or equivalent full auto pistol (maybe as a backup if you're not confident and still use the +sniper damage equipment).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Rocketpriest posted:

Seriously, what is up with the multiplayer dialogue and voices in this game? Salarians don't sound like salarians, krogan sound like someone's impression of a fat kid; what the hell? The krogan and salarians sound alright in the single player, what happened here?

I keep hearing this complaint, but I don't quite get it. The characters sound alright to me. The Salarians are a bit wimpy (especially the Operator) and the Krogan Engineer does sound a bit weird, but the rest are fine. The Krogan Merc sounds just like the Krogan Soldier from ME3.

ZombyDog posted:

I pretty much run my Asari Adept nice and close to stuff for that expose bonus which means flitting in and out of cover and taking advantage of the Vortex effect to immobilise and prime mooks for my Swift Detonation Throw. I tried the Draining Field with Lance build and really didn't like it,

I run Vortex and Shield-Powered Lance, because I really enjoy using Lance.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Frush posted:

You seriously don't hear it? The Turian soldier sounds like a nerdy accountant or something. Some are ok, but there's a lot that are kind of... off.

Maybe he used to be a nerdy accountant. But honestly, I don't think he sounds like one. He just sounds normal?

What do you expect him to sound like?

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Error 404 posted:

Also enemies only jump to reach higher areas, they aren't flying around dodging bullets. They seek cover just as much as always, so they really don't need the hp boost.

Also another part of it was that you could get to better positions to bypass cover (hovering, jumping onto a roof, etc) so enemy cover would not be as useful as before.

Same applies to players, which is why they also increased player durability.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
According to that thread, its because the game uses the same datafile for both SP and MP, so it makes a certain amount of sense.

No idea how BW hosed up so bad to allow this to happen, but maybe there's some sort of SP/MP switch that isn't working?

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

precision posted:

Wait, Throw is a Primer? WHAT?!

Throw has a priming window of 1 second, or something like that. The rank 5 evolution increases that to 4 seconds, or something like that. There used to be the 'Primer' icon next to that evolution, but in 1.05 it got removed, possibly by mistake.

EDIT: Unlike all the other biotic primers, Throw does not prime against Armor or Shields.

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 7, 2017

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Two Finger posted:

Am I imagining it, or was the old rank 6 evo for Vanguard a 30% power cooldown reduction? It doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Which skill? If you're talking about Apex Training, they changed it from a 25% CDR to 25% weapon weight increase.

Apparently the buffs to evolutions in the powers themselves more than make up for the loss.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

precision posted:

Bugs aren't really fixed, but the MP balance is loving miles better now that most guns actually do damage.

Point-blank cloaked shot from a Ruzad X almost kills a Berserker. :stare:

This is too much fun now, how is Bioware gonna gently caress it up? Or are they just gonna roll out Platinum difficulty sooner?

e: Pursuant to the Havoc Trooper, the massive buff to Incinerate and the slight buff to Flak Cannon makes her an attractive alternative to the regular TurSol, with the caveat that the "hover gimmick" is not something you want to be relying on on Gold. I'd max out Incinerate and Turbocharge before doing anything else with her.

There are several classes I'm considering ignoring APEX Training (or other passives that don't add a whole lot). APEX Training in particular is a lot of small mediocre bonuses that I could make up for with boosters if I really cared.

APEX training gives the most weapon damage bonuses (+28%) of any offensive passive, along with a 20% weakpoint bonus. The power damage bonuses are no joke either (+55%).

Not mediocre in any way.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
It's not like you'd ever use those consumable otherwise. I only use them on the human soldier and human sentinel cos I spam the poo poo out of power cells.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, they cut down her shield by 50 and reduced the effectiveness of some of the Barrier evolutions. She's really very high-risk, high-reward now.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Please tell me how to build the Human Soldier (I assume you're talking about the Human Soldier) because I've been trying to level him all night and :negative: He's just... so, so loving boring compared to my level 20 Human Vanguard...

5 Concussive Shot (4x/5a)
3 Frag Grenade
6 Turbocharge (4x/5a/6x)
6 Munitions Training (4b/5b/6a)
6 Combat Fitness (4a/5a/6a)

For CS, either of the 4th rank evolutions work.

For Turbocharge, how you spec depends on what weapon you're using. Using something with a big clip (Revenant, Ghost*, Cyclone)? Duration over recharge because you want to empty your clip. Using something with a smaller clip (Thokin, Piranha, Sidewinder, Hurricane**)? Recharge over duration, because time spent reloading is going to eat up the extra duration anyway. Note that Duration will give you slightly more uptime on TC.

For Rank 5, only take 5b if you're using something with horrendous recoil, like the Revenant or the Soned. Otherwise, 5a is always better.

6a for weapon with big clips, 6b for weapons with smaller clips.

How you play is you put on an ammo booster, shoot things until they get primed (10 bullets on average), hit them with CS. Repeat process. Throw Frag at harder targets (don't bother trying to aim for clusters, they generally move too fast) or at things behind cover. Requires full-auto weapon with good RoF (at least 600).

*This is probably the best weapon for the Soldier right now.
**Hurricane has a decently sized clip but its crazy RoF means you empty it out really fast.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

You read the part where they fired the entire dev team right

I personally wonder how long it will take people to go from this to "lol, game sucks 2 ez" now that everything's been buffed

They have a token crew remaining and those guys are focusing solely on the MP.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

Also I'm like 90% sure throw -> energy drain does different damage from energy drain -> throw when the combo goes off, even if neither are specced for combo damage.

The difference is in the combo itself. Biotic combos do more damage than Tech Combos, but the latter has a small DoT and leaves behind a patch of CC+damage on the floor.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
I have an Angaran Avenger 6 that I have never touched. I really dislike the cloak/stealth grid classes, even more than I disliked them in ME3.

In contrast, my favorite class in MEA is the Human Soldier, because there is nothing that fucker cannot do. ME3 Human Soldier was not quite as good because Turbocharge > Adrenaline Rush. I just hope that Vorcha Soldier makes a comeback one way or the other.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

Barricade feels like it was designed for ME3 before jetpacks became a thing.

But since there's no more hunkering down in spots to fight off waves of enemies, its only use is for two objective types. You can make it work for a shootmans character, but th fade out time on it is so long that you'll die before you can put the replacement down.

Not true. The 6a evolution gives you constantly regenerating shields, so on a human sentinel with enough shield regen speed buffs, you'll never really take more damage than you can regen, especially since you have Energy Drain.

The thing I like about Barricade, and why I always max it out (at least on the human Sentinel, haven't really played the Salarian Architect) is that I can fight safely anywhere on the map. Jetpacks and increased mobility are all good things, but they're almost always used defensively. Having Barricade means you can rely less on your mobility and just throw down in the middle of nowhere, whenever you want.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
I'd argue that it's far better than 'good' once you get its 6th evolution.

I mean yeah, using available cover is always an option, but Barricade is upgraded cover that gives you a bunch of buffs, that arguably gives you more benefits than maxing out Throw.

(Again, talking about human Sentinel. I think the Salarian Architect doesn't benefit as much from Barricade).

Also, what Turian racial passives are you talking about? Is there some kind of hidden race-based stat I didn't know about?

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Oh, that's unfortunate. I was actually hoping that the different races had some different passive abilities. Like back in ME3 the races that couldn't dodge (Krogan, Turian, Batarian) were more resistant to stagger. Sure, it didn't work for like 6 months, but the intent was nice.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
I've literally never been at the bottom of the scoreboard on a Human Soldier, unless I'm dicking around with a new weapon that I don't know so well.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Holy poo poo the human soldier with the Soned is a thing of beauty.

Bullets and body parts everywhere.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
The Hesh and the Disciple.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Spent the night playing the Asari Duelist, going against conventional wisdom and eschewing melee. Using the PAW to prime and Lance/Charge to detonate is a pretty fun way to play her. Means I don't have to wrestle with the clunky (IMO) animation of the Asari Sword, cool as it looks.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Ever since the patch, fiends have become a lot easier to handle. Granted, I almost exclusively play with friends, so we have voicechat and all that, and none of us suck, so maybe that's why.

They still have the uncanny ability to sneak up on me and sync kill, though, which is comforting. No tele-grabs anymore.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Rocketpriest posted:

So I just had a very interesting bug that I haven't seen before: On wave 7, I died, except I didn't. The screen went all washed out like when you die, enemies no longer targeted me, and I couldn't move. I could, however, continue to shoot and kill things! So I was basically an invincible Dhan turret that forced a partial extraction. Revive and health packs did nothing, and were not consumed. Neat.

Happened to me once when I got shot to death while in the middle of an Adhi grab. I was a Vanguard even, so I could still Charge to move around. It was only wave 5, though, so when Wave 6 started everything went back to normal.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, the best way to play a HumSol is to detonate things with Concussive Shot. If you don't have a teammate who can reliably prime, an ammo consumable is the way to go.

Cons: You're stuck to using a small list of weapons, although these weapons are by and large very good. PAW, Shadow, Ghost, Cyclone (after the buff), Hurricane, Soned, Rozerad.

Also you will go through those ammo consumables very quickly. It doesn't help that shooting things with ammo powers and then detonating them is my preferred style of play on any class that can conceivably do it (Sentinels, Asari Huntress/Adept/Duelist, Krogan Engineer).

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
It's what they promised us many aeons ago, but who knows what's going on now?

Also, with the Cyclone buff, I feel so vindicated. I had been using the drat thing for ages, even when it was a 'mediocre-at-best' weapon and now I feel like my loyalty has been rewarded.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, I'm still playing this, although not with the same length as before (1 or 2 hours a night, instead of 4 or 5).

I'm not entirely sure what the complaints are now (besides adding the 5 no-effort rares). After the good buff patch, the game feels impactful and fun; every class is good and every weapon (except the Zalkin and Sweeper, maybe?) is also good.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Digirat posted:

From prev page:

Cyclone (changes made May 19 in server-side update)

So they can balance without client patches now?

Yeah, apparently. They made the changes to the Cyclone and Sweeper and added the Common-Rares without a patch.

We talked about the changes but no one made the point about client patches, somehow.

Reiterating that I think this game is still fun and just as good, if not better than ME3. Just needs more maps.

quote:

Observers now have a short charge-up time before attacking.

Most important change, imo.

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 8, 2017

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:psyduck:
Why would you release the notes for a patch that isn't out yet

Why not? Get it out there before the livestream, where they'll show off the new map, get people excited to play over the weekend.

Digirat posted:

The buffed cyclone's not a joke anymore. I'm not sure I'd recommend it on gold over the usuals unless you have it close to X and have the barrel, but I topped the scoreboard with it on my turian soldier both times I tried it. It only weighs 18 at X, which is not bad for something you can use as a primary.

Cyclone was my favorite weapon before the buff, now its my favoritest weapon. I tend to carry the Ghost as well as a backup, because the Cyclone doesn't have a lot of ammo reserves and the Ghost is swimming in ammo. It's also light enough that on a soldier, you'd still be very much under 100% recharge with both weapons.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

I haven't played since before the game was patched. I think I was literally using a Charger for everything, even gold. Did any of the actual shotguns ever become good? Are any of the normal shooting assault rifles any good?

I'm finally playing through the single player, might give multiplayer one last chance when I'm finished.

All weapons are good. Except the Sweeper and the Zalkin.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
The carfalon heals on hit in SP, so if it still does that in MP then it'd make for a very interesting melee character.

Tasoth posted:

When did they make the zalkin three round burst by default? Also, gold got harder or SalInf has made playing KroEng difficult.

I think this just happened. They only just mentioned it in the livestream.

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 9, 2017

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
I've just been playing as per normal, keeping mobile and staying closer together than I would on Gold. So far, have been playing the Human Soldier and the Asari Sentinel, rocking the new Expert Package + Eagle.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Wait, it also detonates? I just thought it cryo-primed.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Two Finger posted:

What was it? Six cards to have all options unlocked, and the xp counted towards the whole class? I don't think any of us would have guessed they would go backward from that.

I don't mind XP being for each individual character rather than the entire class. Skill points being locked to character ranks is retarded, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Jenny Angel posted:

I hate using cover or playing smartly in any way, so I've been maining Vanguard during my sporadic play since I got this game. It's still fun as hell even if the exclusion of things like grab kills from ME3 is baffling, but from my few forays into Platinum I'm getting the feeling that I'm not gonna be able to make much headway by Charge/Nova/Shockwave-ing into everything I meet

Accordingly I've been loving around with a human Infiltrator and using a playstyle of "cloak, get behind people, Rozerad them to death, still never take any cover ever". It's been super fun so far and I managed to effectively solo a Bronze game at level 3, so things look good for now. But here are a few things I want to sense-check with you guys as I try to push into Gold and hopefully eventually Platinum with stealthy folks:

1) Are any of the Infiltrators notably better or more fun to play than others? Aside from the fact that having the Human one at Rank 20 means she's just way stronger than the rarer ones by default. Turian Agent looks cool as hell, is he worth trying if I can get him?
2) I'm enjoying auto weapons much more than sniper rifles with what I've tried so far (plus I can actually aim them), does that generally work with Infiltrators and other stealth types? If so, what are the best ones to use? I have Bronzes at X and most Golds at I, including an Avenger S and Charger S
3) Am I gonna have to buckle down and learn how to start using cover smartly at some point? I already use it during like, hack/upload objectives and the last 30 seconds of extraction, but it just seems like I'm sitting there seeing zero enemies while my allies get overwhelmed unless I'm constantly darting around

The Salarian Infiltrator seems to be best at using automatic weapons, the Rozerad/Hurricane being particularly excellent on him. He's only uncommon, so it won't be that hard to get to rank 20.

I also enjoy the Asari Huntress, but that's mainly because I play her like a Soldier and ignore Stealth Grid except for when I'm running objectives.

• Locked thread