Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

chesnok posted:

Silver is goddamn brutal. Don't even know what will happen in gold. Basic shooty enemies are most dangerous by far - they will melt you while big scary things flop around the map with their gimmick jumps and telegraphed attacks.
And holy hell, the bullet sponges. A Chosen on silver takes 80% of a Mattock magazine to put down, with most hits being headshots.
So far the only way to do silver drops I've found is rolling at least two Vanguards.
Biotic and Tech explosions are underwhelming too. A huge blast of blue space magic sends enemies flying but deals a grand total of 20% health damage.

It might be somewhat due to rolling I instead of X weapons, but that's my experience too. Some thoughts after leveling a melee vanguard to 20:

- Punching stuff does waaay more damage than 90% of the weapons.
- The melee shield recharge makes Silver easily melee viable (but probably not gold). "Saving Barrier" (free shields at low health every 10s) helps a lot too.
- I went 75% recharge bonus on charge, but with the melee shield recharge, 100% shields + DR may be better. Planning on trying this on the other vanguard.

- I'm not quite sure what to do with Nova yet. I haven't gone up Apex Training yet (I'm only at vanguard II), but it doesn't do much damage compared to melee attacks and it's cooldown is long enough that it doesn't synergize well with fast-recharge Charge. I'm considering taking Shield Damage on my other vanguard to see if open with a jetpack nova works with 100% shield + DR Charge. The "Shield-Powered" evolution seems like it would difficult to work with, now that Charge has such a long cooldown.

- There's a huge difference in the difficulty between factions. Outlaws are super easy as vanguard. On Silver you can charge into pretty much any crowd and so long as you keep connecting punches and don't get grabbed by an adhi, you won't go down. Kett can take you down if you are exposed to too much fire (or your melee key stops working), and Fiends will charge around a corner and rubber-band sync kill you if you aren't careful. Remnant are brutal, especially on open maps. Observers and and Devastators(?) can take you down in a seconds on open maps.

- The Data Transfer objective is horrible in pub matches (especially with sync kills). Given how aggressive the enemies are, it's pretty much impossible to solo, even on bronze. If your teammates go down just suicide - it's not worth faffing about for 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

Well, I'm stuck in a waiting room for the next hour, so here's some classes that work fine on Silver even with awful gear...

Common:

Human Infiltrator: Best common class in my opinion. Sticky Grenades provides huge burst damage. Run in, empty your grenade stock on a priority target, then cloak out, restock and repeat. Gets even better when you have a real gun to use in between. Just like in ME 3, Infiltrators are gud.
Human Vanguard: Crap damage, but you're very durable once you max out Charge and can spam it to keep your shields stable.
Human Engineer: Likewise low damage, but you have a lot of control. Cryo and Overload both have a short CC effect, and the Assult Turret pulls a fair amount of aggro.

Above Common:

Pretty much anything? There are a handful of lemons, but most of the unlock classes are decent enough. Some them are also flat out busted. I recommend you get lucky and open some of the Ultra-rares asap as all but one of them are stupid good.

Vanguard does fine damage so long as you're either punching or shooting things. For bronze/silver taking all the melee upgrades and a pistol/shotgun melee upgrade means you'll kill mooks in 1or 2 punches while simultaneously recharging your shields! Pretty much everything else outside of giant armored stuff will go down in about 3-5 seconds.

precision posted:

I keep trying to do the Silver strike team mission that has the +100% Shields, -75% Health modifier and pubbies keep being awful at it while my KroGuard stands there never dying lol

Have you managed to actually complete this? I've beat it twice but it didn't give me credit and it still shows up in my APEX list?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 22, 2017

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Just LOL if you didn't get a rocket capacity upgrade in your first bonus pack.

Hilarious :confused:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

It's not like ME 3, Passives use their own leveling bar that isn't impacted by Rank or Prestige. The only thing that matters is which class you're playing.

Unlike ME3, getting rank X is important for characters because each rank awards additional skill points. A rank I character will only be able to spec something like 6/6/5/1/0 at level 20 while a rank X can spec 6/6/6/6/1 (I believe, though it might be 6/6/6/6/0).

I'd still recommend throwing in an expert pack or two occasionally. There's a lot of good rare guns that are better at rank I than commons are at X.

Edit: Buying basic packs also nets you enough consumables that you can afford to use them regularly. If you try to save for expert/premium packs while playing bronze/silver you'll never have enough consumables!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Chasiubao posted:

Is the level 6 evolution of the Human Vanguard Barrier passive worth taking, and if so, top or bottom? I'm doing the Charge + melee for almost infinite shields strategy.

The Saving Barrier (bottom) is a nice shield boost in a bind, especially when running away! I suspect that biotic melee doesn't count as a "biotic power", so I didn't bother with the top evolution because I hardly ever kill mooks with powers. For silver, at least, I feel that it nicely rounds out survivability, and is much nicer than, say, an extra 6 points in shockwave.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

There's still 18(?) days to pick up the juggernaut shield from the item store. The other limited-time equipment gives a huge boost to spare ammo and is also worth picking up!

A second strike team is worth it, but once you have two you'll be able to run all the available bronze and silver missions. Gold missions aren't worth it until you grind a team up to around 20 or so. Until you have a decent chance of success, their just a good way to pick up negative traits (which will reduce the chance of success further)! My top team is 11 and still only has about 12% chance of success on golds.

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Holy poo poo good thing I read the thread. I was gonna get my third away team but I think I'll save for the jugg shield.

edit: At tier 4 of Charge, I'm guessing damage and force is better than the aoe boost? The stagger might be nice so I don't have to nova for CC.

I when damage/force because the enemies usually spread out enough you'll only be hitting one either way. I'm thinking it might have been a bad choice because sometimes enemies go flying after the charge and then you can't punch them! That might still happen with radius boost, though, haven't tried it.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 24, 2017

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Two Finger posted:

Was me3 this prone to crashing? I've had three today on bone

I don't recall any ctd type crashes in ME3, but I've had 3 ctds on the PC today. It's a bit weird, because I had none during the trial and none in the last three days - maybe something about their servers is causing it? Or just some corrupted files that build up over time? Does Origin have a "verify files" feature like steam?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Finally got a X character to level 20, and can confirm that you get 85 skill points at level 20 (enough for 6/6/6/6/1). I think rank I characters only get 62 skill points at level 20 (so 6/6/5/2/1), but I haven't leveled a rank I character to 20 to confirm.

Alteisen posted:

I'm sending my dudes on golds cause I'm out of bronze missions to send them on :(

Don't do that, they'll just get negative traits and become permanently worse! Found that out the hard way... :gonk:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

M. Night Skymall posted:

It's probably better to just use 1 team on as many missions with a high success rate as you can until you get it to 20 and then worry about having other teams as that one slowly accumulates negative traits. That's what I did and my level 20 team can do gold missions with a 60% success rate most of the time.

Does anyone have a good build for human vanguards? At the moment I have barrier at 5 and charge at 6 with the full shield restore and I just charge things then punch them to death. This works pretty well in silver but I'm not sure it'll work in gold and I don't have anywhere to put the rest of my points that feels good. Maybe max out nova or shockwave for killing armored targets? Should I just get apex training to 6 in case I accidentally fire my gun?

If you have barrier at 5, definitely get "Saving Barrier" from rank 6. It'll save your butt when trying to run away or for those annoying times when the melee or charge button stop working!

Compared to punching stuff, both nova and shockwave do such piddly damage that they're barely even worth it, even against armored targets. I took shield damage on Nova for stripping observer shields, but charge->nova still leaves them with ~1/4 shield on gold. At this point, I'm pretty much just using Nova as an "oh poo poo" button for the invincibility frames (which you'll probably want too, since you took full shield restore). If you can figure out some way to make Nova or Shockwave evolutions more useful than just punching or shooting things, I'd love to hear it! Since Nova and Shockwave aren't super useful, going up Apex Training is nice for the 20% power recharge bonus at 6.

Punch vanguard is definitely viable on Gold - you just can't charge directly into huge packs of enemies like on bronze/silver. Instead, hang out with your team and guard the flanks. Try to charge at enemies that have soft cover between them and their friends so you're taking less fire. If you start taking a lot of heat, dash into and around cover until charge is back up! If you don't have it, make sure you pick up the juggernaut shield from the item shop - it'll make gold enemies punching about the same as silver enemy punching without it.

Edit: Why yes, I would love an APEX gold mission with +100% melee! Too bad it has observers...

AngryBooch posted:

A few other questions coming from ME3 multi to this:

So getting a class repeat in packs is not only for cosmetics any more? You get more skill points on a (for example) Human Engineer X vs. I?

Is promoting a class still in? I'm assuming you don't promote all your "Soldiers," for instance, at the same time anymore. But promoting a character starts them over at level 1 AND provides a small bonus across all of you characters right? Promoting an Engineer gives you a small bonus to power recharge speed correct?

These might be worth adding to OP. Rank I characters get 6/6/5/2/1 and Rank X get 6/6/6/6/1.

E: whoops, Rank I was slightly off.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 25, 2017

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ShadowHawk posted:

So how do I actually do the apex strike missions in multiplayer? I've clicked the "play this mission in multiplayer" option for one of them and joined a multiplayer game with those settings and beat it, about 5 times now, and haven't gotten any mission points or boxes. It just seemed like a normal MP game reward.

I'm not 100% sure this is what's happening, but I think apex missions have better player matching than custom games, so some players are creating an apex mission and then switching to custom after players have joined. When you join the mission, make sure that "mission" has some mission name instead of saying "custom". It's also possible that it continue to match apex players into matches after then mission type has been changed. Or that it's just bugged and fails to give apex rewards sometimes.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

The idea is to use team 1 to cycle out all the gold missions that nobody can handle to keep giving you bronze and silver missions which you use to train up teams 2 and 3. They'll rack up a bunch of negative modifiers but you don't care about that for these guys, their only purpose is to cycle out gold missions and rack up the occasional success.

So if you clear your list, more missions will pop ahead of the standard timer? That's good to know.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

precision posted:

It might be bugged, but also it seems to save the nameplate on a per-character basis.

Nameplates are bugged, but their not per-character. They get reset whenever you use boosters. :cripes:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Danger posted:

It's not ending, it's a visual glitch. You are still cloaked.

And you'll hear the decloaking sound when it actually ends.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Thundercloud posted:

I had the game be stable for a bit and a group of pubbies who didn't suck. So I now have a level 13 soldier and an Avenger VIII.

Anyone up for doing the Silver APEX missions to help me get a Juggernaut shield to put on my Krogan when I get one?

PSN Thundercloud2013

edit - found out that you can't run an APEX mission in multiplayer is you are running a strike team mission at the same time.

Unless this is a PS4-specific problem, you definitely can run APEX multiplayer missions while running strike team missions!

The problem with APEX missions is that players can change the mission back to "custom" and the matchmaker will still throw APEX players into their match. Also, if a team loses an APEX match and go back to the lobby, the mission will reset to "custom". Whenever you queue up for an APEX mission, make sure the lobby lists the mission type as the APEX mission instead of saying "custom", and just host if it keeps throwing you into non-APEX matches.

Verviticus posted:

holy poo poo i would like some bronze or silver missions so i can get mission funds thank you game

all of my teams are disasters at this point other than one because i've has about 25 golds in a row. what the gently caress

You don't have to do the gold strike missions - bronze and silver strike missions should pop back up every 6-12 hours. Only throw sacrificial teams at gold missions, because it's extremely likely they'll come down with ptsd/shell shock/stds/etc.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 27, 2017

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Digirat posted:

This is dependent on how the game calculates what shows up in packs, which we don't know. It's entirely possible that commons being available will only reduce the chance of getting a booster or consumable, not another kind of item.

Either way the real reason to do it is because weapon mods generally have a much lower chance of appearing than anything else, so you'll need to get through the common weapons and classes before you'll get most of the mods. And having two mods for each weapon compared to none is basically just a buff for your weapons across the board, so you'll want those common mods.
Given how basic packs work, if you have all the weapons/characters/mods of a particular rarity maxed, then you'll get another type of drop of the same rarity. However, maxing all the drops of a rarity won't bump you're drops to the next rarity - you'll just get consumables instead. Max all the common weapons and characters, and the basic packs always will drop common mods (or uncommon) until mods are maxed. Once all commons are maxed, basic packs will just give you consumables and the occasional uncommon, but uncommon drops will not be more likely.

Besides mods, Maxing characters is also a good reason to go for basics. The extra 23 skill points are important for gold viability!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Digirat posted:

It's actually just the matchmaking being dumb. If you finish an apex mission and then stay in the same lobby, it keeps the enemy and map, but the game is "custom" instead of the apex mission, and will not have the modifiers or grant the extra rewards for winning. The bug is that searching for that apex mission will join you into these lobbies.

You just have to keep trying until you find one that's actually doing the mission (or hope you get lucky with people joining your own lobby).

Sometimes the host does actually switch the mission type. I always ready-up as soon as I join - the game will unready you if the host switches the game type, and that's a good sign to book and just host myself.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

For the Human Vanguard melee build, what is the better Rank 6 charge upgrade? I could see both being very useful, with dr and constant charge explosions both adding a lot of survivability.

I've taken both, and Bastion (the bottom evolution) is definitely more useful for gold. Assuming you take the power recharge evolution of Apex Training, Shock Trooper gets you a 3.5 second cooldown on charge while Bastion is 5.2. Charge does less damage that punching, though, and the extra shields + 75% boost in effective shields/hp boosts gold survivability more than the slightly faster charge. It's good for getting around the map, though!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

precision posted:

I thought it had been established the current equipment was going to be in the store for 14 more days.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Where was that? I haven't heard anything about that

When I still had equipment in the item shop, I could have sworn that selecting them said something "Available for X days" or "Expires in X days". On day one it was something like 18 days, which would be consistent with Thursday updates and mean that they should be available through next week. I've bought both equipment, though, so I could be remembering incorrectly.

The update says that new items should be available in the item shop - anyone see them?

Edit: Ah, "new equipment, Thermal Clip Storage and the Juggernaut Shield". Guess they were worried people didn't notice the equipment buried in their labyrinthine interface.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 30, 2017

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

My guess is that one new equipment piece will rotate in each week and pieces will be available for two weeks (so there will be two available at any given time). They threw in the biotic amp last week to get the staggered cycle going, since they kicked off with two pieces. But I could be wrong! We won't know until Thursday.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 3, 2017

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Gangringo posted:

Basically once you get charge and barrier maxed on the human vanguard you have to try pretty hard to die. What I find obnoxious is how long it takes to kill things. Even with a character kitted out with both skills and equipment for maximum melee damage it takes a charge, nova, and two punches to kill a basic trooper enemy.

I don't really like that they brought the jumpjets and thrust dodging to multiplayer as default for all classes, i think it takes away some of the uniqueness that high-mobility classes had in ME3. High ground and positioning is basically trivial when even krogans can zip around and any enemy can jump 20 feet in the air.

Don't charge->nova unless you really need the invincibility/crowd control. It's slower and does less damage than punching, and you're missing out on some of your charge's punch boost window! It's still 2-3 punches for gold nooks, but you're still killing faster than pretty much anything else outside of (impossible) vanquished/valiant head shots.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

g0del posted:

Anyway, now that I've played with the patch, the nerfs to melee don't seem that bad. I barely noticed getting staggered, and I can still facetank a Hydra and punch it to death, so I'm still having fun. Just not unlocking anything because I can't get any money to buy any packs.

This is what I thought, and then I did the gold strike mission against Kett. Minigun Assholes will stagger you every other punch, and then your pretty much dead from whoever else is shooting you. I also don't remember a single minigunner being able to take me down in a quarter second with both charge and bastion dr up. Maybe one or both is broken?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

The minigunners used to not be able to target you if you were point blank, i.e. whenever you were playing Vanguard correctly. Now that they do, they do the requisite stupid amounts of damage and can't be staggered because they're shielded.

Kett are also just cancerous horseshit in general so gently caress them. Call me back on playing Kett when you can Cobra Ascendants that park their bullshit asses on the upload point.

Also gently caress upload and gently caress the guy who designed upload, he's a prick.

That could be part of it, but it also seems like I'm taking more damage from getting shot at a distance as well.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I didn't realize that the saving barrier evolution allowed you to survive sync kills, that seems pretty nice to have. I was leaning toward the "restore shields on kill" evolution but it seems like the other one is the clear choice.

I wish shotguns didn't suck, because having a weapon with a bayonet attached would just be so aesthetically pleasing for vanguards. Although I guess the optimal weapon being called "the charger" is a good consolation prize.

Even if barrier 6a restored 50% shields on every kill (instead of 10% on a biotic kill), 6b would still be the better choice because it gives your shields back when you are getting shot and are about to die. Plus, having to get the kill shot to power your boosts is annoying as hell and actively discourages team play - that's one of the main advantages of pugging a human vanguard over krogan on gold.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Zakmonster posted:

6 Annihilation: 4a/5a/6b
6 Lance: 4a/5b/6b
6 Barrier: 4a/5a/6b
5 Offensive Biotics: 4b/5a
3 Throw

Alternatively you can skip Throw altogether and get 6a from Offensive Biotics.

precision posted:

You can't spec out the 1 mandatory point in Throw this time around, so you actually can't do that.

I think the implication is to skip putting extra points into Throw in order to take Offensive Biotics 6a, which you absolutely can. Honestly, since +biotic damage/force (probably) doesn't apply to combos, I'd just go 6b for the hefty melee boost. The only real advantage of taking Throw to 3 is the 20% recharge bonus (and maaaabye force) - damage is so piddly that +20 is barely noticeable.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I'm not sure why that makes us both wrong? You can go 6/6/6/6/1, which is what Zakmonster was saying (and I was advocating).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Grondoth posted:

How many extra points? This has 83, is it more than that?

It's 23 extra points (62 at rank I to 85 at rank X, including the 3 automatically placed in active powers). Not sure how those are split across the 5 ranks that boost points, though.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

While they're fixing things, they should fix the mod drop rate. I just finished off the silver characters/weapons, and (after I started counting) I pulled 91 silvers and 15 golds from advanced packs, and exactly one of those silvers was a mod.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

This thread will disagree until its blue in the face and blood runs down it. They're wrong, of course. But good luck maintaining this point!

I've been working on my human adept to earn my gold biotic nameplate and I'm constantly topping the scoreboard. Every time I see that I think of this thread and chuckle to myself a little bit.

The guy with X URs and 10x the hours of most pubs is consistently topping the scoreboard? Shocked, I tell you!

I actually like the human adept myself for cc and biotic explosions, because I you can pull off 3+ explosions within range of each other they actually do noticeable damage. That doesn't mean that combo damage isn't borked for literally every other situation, and (unless you know something I don't) you're still doing most of your damage with guns/fists because of the long cooldowns.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Dilb posted:

From what people have reported, it's pretty close to 10-12% UR per expert, 20-24% per premium. So there's no point to premium unless you're using real money.

If the expert packs work like advanced packs, premium packs might have an actual chance of dropping rare mods before you've maxed all rare weapons/mods. The advanced packs with a single uncommon slot basically never drop mods until everything else is collected, but the basic packs seem to have a chance of dropping mods in the second common slot. I suspect (but haven't confirmed) that expert/premium packs work the same way.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If you go expert packs, post whether you ever pull mods. I suspect that expert packs work like advanced packs, and you'll never pull mods until characters/weapons are all X.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I got a barrel mod 1 from it and plenty of mods from advanced packs well before things maxed out.

E: My suspicion was not correct - Expert packs seem to drop mods just fine!

Sorry, I should have specified that advanced packs never dropped uncommon mods (for me at least) before uncommon weapons/characters were maxed. Rare drops from advanced packs can be anything. In fact, getting uncommon drops from basic packs is how I managed to get a few uncommon mods before moving on to advanced packs! Basically mods are never seem to be the sole drop in a pack unless it goes along with a rarity upgrade.

There are no UR mods, which is why I suspect expert packs won't drop mods until rare characters/weapons are maxed. It's also possible I was just unlucky with drops in the advanced packs.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Expert drops mods just fine. Ive gotten two at a time in some cases.

Thanks! I had no idea expert packs had a secondary slot. Since advanced packs didn't seem to have one, I only bought a few expert packs before switching to premium.

• Locked thread