Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Reading that 9 months later is like staring into the eyes of Death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

etalian posted:

Luckily there's a theme song for bad dems to singL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqNxne97ubc

Note to anyone who skipped this: it's not just a cover of the original song, it's updated for 2017 and it's really good.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Does gobbagool claim to be a liberal? I thought he was a Republican.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

gobbagool posted:

Oh, my sweet summer child.

That DICK! posted:

Calling people sweet summer child instantly makes you look like a retard and most people will skip over your post

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Anyway, liberals who hate the poor do so because they accepted the 2000s era culture war framing where it was poor rural vs rich urban.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

People seriously don't understand just how bad Bill Clinton was, and that it had nothing to do with him being a philandering child rapist.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

zegermans posted:

internet leftists don't have a problem with the cross burners because it doesn't affect them personally.

Here's a Jacobin article about how cross burning is actually a sign of economic frustration:

Most amazing strawman yet, and that's saying something.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

what is this with the "neoliberal left" thing, like *morphs into old woman from car insurance commercial* that's not how any of this works *morphs back into self* you big dumbo *morphs into firework, explodes beautifully*

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

rudatron posted:

For mature human beings, being aware that people are products of their environment, tempers stupid & immature emotional reactions like hatred of a group of people. Rationalizing hatred as reverse-double progressiveness just means that you haven't actually internalized that fact - you're looking for an excuse for your emotional reactions, rather than challenging them.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What's the point of NPR existing now that Car Talk's over?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

Hillary and Jeb! both ran campaigns that would have been more at home in the early 90s, they were way out of touch with our current political reality.

I got a bit of this vibe too.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I hope at the very least JEB! and Hillary's defeats lead to candidates being more entertaining and spontaneous.

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 1, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The worst part is there have been experiments done with animals on poverty and enrichment in terms of food and stimuli, which establish the causation of the exact same correlation we see in humans, but that research would be totally ignored.

It's the reason why places with bigger welfare states have more social mobility by the way, which is seen as an absolute paradox by people who want to cut the social safety net.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Like I was saying in another thread, Trump is on balance more of a neoliberal than Hillary.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Azathoth posted:

I follow politics and I am still having trouble understanding what people mean when they say "neoliberal", because some of the time it means "whatever the person thinks Hillary would have theoretically stood for if she'd won" and sometimes it is "warhawk populist Democrat" and sometimes it is "capitalist Democrat" and so statements like that just end up being meaningless to me.

I was using the academic definition of essentially free trade + austerity + deregulation, but I can't speak for anybody else.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh my god I just realized Tim Kaine was 100% analogous to Al Gore. Fuckin Clintons.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

comedyblissoption posted:

welfare reform by clinton in the 90s was a social safety net cut. clinton also tried unsuccessfully to cut medicare/social security. obama also recently tried unsuccessfully to cut medicare/social security with the Grand Bargain. obama successfully cut LIHEAP (heating assistance for poors). I forgot what other austerity obama did.

in the West Wing, the neoliberal democrat protagonists try really hard to cut social security. i think they may have succeeded in the show but i won't watch that tripe so i can't confirm.

comedyblissoption posted:

note that whenever democrats talk about raising the retirement age for social security or say they are trying to save social security or whatever other bullshit framing they try to use, they are talking about cutting social security. they won't use the words "cut".

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

David Pakman once had a segment about authoritarian leftists and kinda nailed things a while back.

Pretty much a lot of :911:'s are actually "left" when it comes to their opinions on political issues, but are kinda driven to become moderates, centrists and conservatives via quite a few shitheads out there.

When I think of authoritarian leftists I think of tankies who'd never, ever become any of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Edit: wrong thread

• Locked thread