Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

GlyphGryph posted:

Hints for new players:

Axe: Axes break shields. That's pretty much it, but that can be very good, especially on longaxes since you can break shields from a space away. Do pretty good damage too and has a chance of beheading enemies, as well as doing additional damage when the head is hit. They have an increased fatigue cost per swing, however!

When you break someones shield, they will switch to wielding their primary weapon in both hands, giving bonuses to that weapons attack. DO NOT BREAK AN ORCS SHIELD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Merchants in general are portrayed as being shady as gently caress. I was really surprised when one last night asked me to reclaim his prized coin collection, every other merchant or town leader has asked me to get some crazy eldritch totem or talisman that results in the whole town celebrating it's return. The fact that this guy just liked shiny coins was refreshing.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok, I've had the game for awhile.
Should I just wait for the game to officially 'come out' before I start another playthrough?

If you haven't already, subscribe to the beta branch in steam and play through that. It is essentially the release version, possibly missing some soundtracks and a couple of bugfixes.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Count Mippipopolous posted:

Well I followed this advice and went out to the huge uncharted quarter of the map. I lost one of my best men clearing out a cave of orcs, and half the band fell sick going through a bog, but I found a base I had never seen before at the very edge: A black monolith.

It was guarded by 47 ancient dead and some other horrible things I had never seen before. I barely escaped, and with low supplies I'm trying to make it back to civilization. I guess I'll go back to more regular work and build up my strength before I go back out there.

There is an achievement for claiming whatever is inside the Black Monolith. That is all I know.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I hate the sound when they beat on the poor donkey.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Can anyone explain/tell me if/why this is a bad idea.

So far I have been running my sub 60 Melee Skill bro's with spears, but I am getting into the midgame now and spears just aren't cutting it anymore (except against enemies weak to spearwall tactics).

Is it feasible to give all my sub 60 melee bro's axes so they can wreck shields, or will they just miss all the time with the shieldbreaker attack?

Whats my best option for low melee skill dudes at this stage of the game?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Night10194 posted:

Shieldbreak is a 100% to-hit attack, it always does the shield damage.

Cool, I wasn't aware of this, that is exactly what I wanted to hear!

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I was originally giving every bro who got over 60 melee skill a flail, but I felt they were missing a Lot. Switching to swords, maces and axes (dps, cc and shield destruction) worked well for me until we all got eaten by orcs.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I loving love that the first comment on this devblog is someone complaining that this encounter is too easy because the Alp's will just die to dogs before doing anything.

This attitude is so infuriating, as a game developer it must drive you crazy. It's a whole new expansion, there is tons of stuff you as a consumer don't know about it, just wait and see!

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Broken Cog posted:

Got an event I hadn't seen before.
Met an army of kids on the road, said they were going north to spread the word of the old gods. I just told them they should go home to their parents, but they laughed at me and went on their way.

I get that this is probably supposed to be a reference to the Children's Crusade, but can you get anything from this event if you choose any of the other options?

I had this event awhile ago, I had a monk and he told them that our group were the crusaders instead and they had fulfilled their holy mission by informing us that we had to go north. They accepted this and went home.

I don't think I got anything except the monk had a morale boost for saving them.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Major Isoor posted:

Well, to avoid spoiling anything, Battle Bros is much more like the two middle books in the Black Company series, rather than the first book. (Specifically book four; Shadow Games)

Yeah, the first book is quite different from the rest. It is much more of a journal whearas the rest are a story pretending to be a journal.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

The Skeleton King posted:

How do you open the boxes that people tell me to carry to towns for them? I’ve heard you can do that.

Only way that I know of is if you get one of the events that gives you the option. There is one that has a bro take a peek in a crate, realise it is full of gems and he approaches you and asks if you should just jump the caravan hands that are with you.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

jokes posted:

Really just a standard Battle Brothers dilemma.

"Raid the farmstead? 50% chance you get food, 50% chance there's a lindwurm inside the barn."

I really love that there is this whole mucky undercurrent of cults and devil worship under the surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Battle Brother posted:

S'arnt, me and the lads, well.. We have tae ask. When ye hire a brother, ken, why.. why do ye strip them naked as soon as they join the company?

Not complain'n like, it's jes'... weird, ken?