Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

This is a good game, and people should buy it. I've put maybe 30 hours into the beta, and have really enjoyed it.

The very start has a bit of a curve, but once you get going things tend to get smoother, at least until an orc berserker tears your head off.

I do wish you could see the stats of recruits before hire them up. Saving and reloading to check each recruit is kind of irritating. That is the main thing keeping me from going ironman.

I generally find I've had good luck with wild men, woodcutters, and brawlers as early recruits. In my first game I had a murderously good woodcutter, who I ended up giving an artifact 2h axe. He was a monster at beheading people. I just picked up this wildman, at level 1. He has the potential to go far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The beta branch has been feature complete for a while. It is fully released now though, so now is a good time to dive in.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Tavern keepers will tip you off about the location of legendary items. It is worth paying them a visit once you are at that stage.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

KyloWinter posted:

Playing without Ironman is blasphemy.
I would ironman it up if I could only view recruit stats before putting down the cash. I think that counts for more of my reloads than anything else.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just started playing this more seriously, after owning it a while and only really touching the surface. I haven't ever played enough to get through a crisis.

For some reason half of the hires I am coming across in my new game are named Guntbert. I am ten days in, have ten men, and three are named Guntbert. I've passed up several Guntberts too.

One of my many Guntberts is an apprentice, and just helped some kid fix a sword. It resulted in getting a free arming sword, so that seems kind of neat.

Picked up a monk who has all of the resolve, and made him my bannerman. Here he is at level 3, just having picked up fortified mind.

I haven't really ever used two handed weapons much aside from the banner, but from what people seem to say they are mostly the way to go later on. Going without a shield sounds scary to me though, as those units always seem to get targeted by archers and such too.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Appreciate the 2h advice. Once I get a little further, I'll give it a shot.

Currently day 28. I just threw a puncture party for a bandit leader, and he gifted me his sweet lamellar harness and noble sword. Pretty good when my guys are all armed with bandit raider type weapons and armor. The problem is that a band of bounty hunters wanted his head, and now they are absolutely pushing my poo poo in. Turns out they are even better armed, and they are an absolute bitch to even hit.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Ended up just reloading and giving them the head. I bashed against them with a few reloads, but couldn't take them down. I am not ironmanning, as there is all sorts of stuff in the game I am unfamiliar with. My goal is to learn the game a bit better.

Currently day 35. Guys are mostly armed with 110-115 durability body armor, 110-140 durability helmets, kite shields, arming swords, and flails. One guy does have a noble sword and lamellar harness from the bandit leader. I have two archers with hunting bows, and my bannerman. For 2h weapons I have picked up two longswords, two two-handed wooden flails, and a two handed wooden mace. I've tested the longswords a bit and they seem pretty good but I am trying to be conservative with how I use them right now. I haven't tried the two-handed flails or mace.

Currently worth 6000 crowns, with my ambition being "get 15,000 crowns for a better cart". Maybe I jumped the gun on that one. I do have access to noble contracts. Killed some goblins just fine, and had a hard time trying to deal with orc warriors. It just takes me too long to actually beat through their armor.

I am probably to the point where I need to start specializing frontliners. My average frontliner looks something like this, and I am not sure where I should start putting the level 6 perk points.

I've tried a couple patrol missions, but so far they seem unrewarding for a time to coin ratio. Maybe I just haven't gotten lucky encountering enough enemies during them.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

I was going to ask if someone has a link to a list of good seeds.
https://bb.frukso.se/rated

The starting traits can't really be counted on any more, what with the different starts.

Probably going to do a peasant militia game myself. Sure, limiting your hiring pool sucks, but going from 12 guydudes in combat up to 16 is a big bonus.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 9, 2019