Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Great game, awesome dev team. Glad it's finally out.

Also going to run a ranged heavy gimmick for release because of recent archery changes, the Robin Hood gang. Followed by an all daggers run, the Shank Squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Orc Warriors aren't as hard if you always start combat by kiting back to the edge of the map. This will be the 3 rounds that will get their fatigue up already.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

vyelkin posted:

One time just for fun I tried doing an entire company that only used daggers. Very funny but not very effective even though sometimes you land like 12 punctures in one turn and just ruin an entire enemy force. More often you miss every single one and then they wreck you.

It seems like in vanilla they just didn't have time to think through introducing more interesting playstyles for different weapons. In Legends mod it works great, as the puncture skill is dependent on opponent fatigue level. Always useless against stuff like undead (like it should be) and goes up to 90+% hit chance against really tired human knights late in battle (which is how historically knights got daggered down on the ground).

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 25, 2020

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Helical Nightmares posted:

This is a great change. Also changing the antidote, so that is prevents poisoned status for drinkers for a few turns, is a great idea.

Also I'm really digging the Legends mod. Battle Brothers with randomized perks makes for a much more exciting game and makes you have a diverse background of Battle Brothers. Highly recommended.

Agreed, leads to much more diverse armor and weapon selections instead of spamming two handed swords on everyone with the same perks and doing the same exact min/maxing. The fact that medium armor is a viable option now is alone an amazing diversification to the vanilla game. I just play on Veteran instead of Legendary difficulty because I'm not a masochist and turn off Magic and Battle Sisters starting options for a more vanilla experience. Makes for a great Battle Brothers++ mod this way.

Also while people are waiting for new DLC, the new game on Steam, "Urtuk" is basically Battle Brothers in a Darkest Dungeon setting. Can scratch the itch for a while.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 15, 2020

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I might play Legends now that I have a few campaigns under my belt but if it ends up mostly just adding tedious micro management and big gangs of overpowered enemies for the elite 1000+ hour player I'll be mildly disgruntled

If you don't pick Legendary difficulty it's just a significantly enhanced experience over vanilla with more choices and variety. Legendary difficulty is where they have super OP enemies that require constant min/maxing of your party and that gets tedious.

Make sure you get the latest builds from their discord as the officially posted "stable" ones are missing lots of cool new updates and can get months behind.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 18, 2020

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Alchenar posted:

Remember when they were going to abandon Battle Brothers straight after release to go make their Jagged-Alliance style game? I'm glad they made the good business decision.

Especially great decision considering JA3 is now under development by reputable strategy dev which promises a true tactical turn-based sequel to JA2. They possess the actual JA IP, all the old character rights, and voices. They are following the JA2 design exactly so far. I'm glad Battle Brothers devs stayed the course on their own unique game. There is already a sea of crappy JA knockoffs out there anyway.

Wartales (as a BB fan) is a mixed bag. While interesting, the battle feel is similar to the (new) X-COM arcade gameplay, a big departure for those that like the tactical grid system. All characters have different realistic physical "size" in the game which makes your brain correlate everything to being true distance on-screen (wolves take up much more space than a human on the battle map). This makes things like archers just look out of place as it seems they can only shoot at a max distance of 5 or 6 feet in front of them. Expansion of survivalist gameplay is a nice addition that a lot of BB mods added on anyway and people will like. The graphics are good. The action clicker mini-games (like mining) seem completely out of place in a strategy game and just look like unnecessary busywork (why not just have them automatically collect it as a foraging action?) I'll keep an eye on how it develops.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Pain of Mind posted:

I got this about a week ago, with no paid DLC. Is the game just kind of plotless wandering around, or did I miss something? I am around day... 45 or so and just wandering around from town to town completing quests. Also, is there a way to repair gear that people are wearing when at a weaponsmith/armorsmith? They can repair gear in inventory, but it seems kind of tedious to undress everyone.

You work your way up the best you can in the limited time that's leading up to the end-game crisis. There are different ones you can select at the beginning or have it be random. Also, you don't have to end it then and can play as long as you want, exploring further out challenges on the map. If you played through that and want more, you can expand to DLCs. After you get bored with that you can expand to mods such as BB Legends that offer more challenges and different types of starts and mechanics.

Gear that people are wearing is repaired if you have tools, you don't have to undress anyone.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 19, 2022