Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Any tips on where to go to find wild spawns of beasts? It feels like they've been all but eliminated from the world map and tied to village contracts over the course of the games development. Against my better judgement I took one of those "go to area and kill certain types of beasts" contracts. I found two small groups in the designated area but have now spent several days waltzing through forests and around mountains across the map and haven't found a single beast spawn. Found plenty of bandits or undead patrols and lots of camps but not a single drat wolf, spider oder nacho :argh:

I mean I know I can turn the contract in at any time but I'm at 15/30 heads and you know I can't just let it stand like that. It's a loss of around 700 gold buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Usually you'd be right about the losses but I'm playing peasants and my costs for wages&supplies don't even come close to the money I made on the way by killing patrols and busting camps. I even threw out 5k for the wagon upgrade at some point because I was getting so stacked :v:

It's just a bummer that beast spawns have become so dang rare tbh. I mean I remember having trouble during the last time I seriously searched for pelts, hides, and white fur but I didn't realize that it has gotten this bad on pretty much every type of beast.

Wafflecopper posted:

And yeah those missions suck, don’t do them. Unless maybe if you want the parts for crafting, taking the mission might spawn a stack or two of beasts but idk
Yeah they suck but the mission lined up with my interests at the time so I took it. And I'm pretty sure that it indeed does spawn a small amount of enemies for you since I found two small groups of nachos in the designated area which is infested by orcs and their camps.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah you should very much pounce on any patrols and most camps while you're out in the wilds to get supplies and cash

rojay posted:

This game is also the first where I've seen the "miller's hut" thing that promises a bad rear end sword of some sort if I manage to kill "the great beast." I thought maybe the two were connected, but there's not a beast in sight, great or otherwise.
It's a legendary location that will spawn in every game (there are a few others too btw). It's not insanely hard but imo you should not gently caress with it until you're solid in the midgame and can afford to lose a good brother or two

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

rojay posted:

Is that something that came in with a DLC or a patch? Because I took a good six months off before coming back to BB, but it's also possible that I simply never hovered my cursor over the building before.
Legendary locations first came with the Beasts & Exploration DLC iirc but Blazing Sands added a few more. There are actually quite a lot of them tbh and I think they all spawn each time you make a map. A couple of them have minor events, minor rewards, or fights that are mostly designed for the serious min-max part of the playerbase. The Wiki has a page where you can see all the locations without having their content spoilered.

I actively look for a certain few of them in each game but don't sweat it past that

E: Also I made an oopsie and the location you found actually isn't mid-game level but very much endgame :ssh:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 23, 2021

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Count Uvula posted:

The mill event and the legendary location that unlocks it account for 2 of the 3 hardest fights in the game :v: IIRC the common wisdom players extol for when you're ready to take on the first of the two is 'when you can field 10 melee fighters with 90+ MATK each'
Not sure if it still works but you used to be able to completely cheese the first part with one single brother that was built and equipped in a certain way :ssh:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I mean yeah most people would not end up with an idea like the one I'm talking about but tbh when you break it down it makes sense and is a pretty mundane application of the game's tools and rules

The strat I'm refering to is based on a brother with as much Mdef as possible and a bunch of defensive perks along with cleaver spec and lone wolf. Also with boosts from stamina+wound pots, powder if possible, wearing ijirok armor, a polehammer and a whip+shield, along with the goblin necklace. The effect of the necklace means the tentacles can't do anything to you in the first phase so you move to the best tile that is 2 spaces away from the kraken's head and hammer away the armor. Then you move to the best tile that's 3 spaces away from the head and start to whip it. You only need to bring out the shield once you've hurt the head enough for the tentacles to switch into rage mode and then it's a race between your whip DPS and the hit % of the tentacles. Iirc only up to 4 tentacles will respawn once the kraken is down to like a third of its health so it's helpful to put all of them on low health during the first phase so that you can quickly kill a few of them in the last stretch of the fight.

This strat needs a lot of prep-work, is very tedious, and the fight easily takes over 60 turns so I wouldn't consider it to be some grand exploit that needed to be fixed. I mean only a very specific set of the playerbase is even willing to do this :v:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Using a 2h weapon on your early hires isn't a great idea because their stats and perks won't be good enough to use it without dying horribly. Stick to 1h weapons and shields on your frontline until you're familar with the game and the progression. Hot tip: spears and swords have a bonus to hit baked into them so they're prefered for your early fights or for anyone under 70 melee attack in general

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Here's a google doc where I got the few mods I use from. It's pretty much just QOL stuff. Last update was for blazing sands so everything should still work

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X1U9i8Bug6Mvj3lUfP45lFu6HTZMDXtAEZaq5iP0mlA/edit

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

Knights will also appear, but if you have a decent shield bro with a mace you should be able to exhaust/stun them indefinitely. After which the dagger party starts.
I never forget that one time where I carefully isolated & controlled a knight during the majority of a big noble battle only for a random soldier to rotate one of my guys out of the dagger circle and kill the knight. I was very very mad about this turn of events

Noble fights are a lesson as Southpaugh said. Straight up breaking their front is hard even if you bring axes so I personally prefer to just hold their line with mine while my archers and throwers kill their backline and ranged units. Then the front usually has taken enough morale damage to either break or lose enough mdef to get hit through the shields. If you don't use much ranged units then you pretty much have to axe one shield guy and focus him with your polearms to kill and cause morale checks asap. It's gonna put a lot of strain on the stamina of your axe users (especially without the mastery) but it's doable.

Also do not try to save any AI units. Supporting them is good because you want them to hold and do stuff but them actually surviving the battle isn't your goal. As long as one of them is alive at the end you're good. Like when I see some part of the AI line being overwhelmed I do not think about how I can help them. I think about what happens once they're dead and if I need to move some of my guys towards that area to intercept the aftermath or if the other AI units can fill the gap long enough until I'm done with my side of the line

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 31, 2021

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

I pretty much always use my flag, and my flag guy usually scores a lot of kills. Call me crazy.
Same and tbh while the banner does indeed lack damage compared to some other reach weapons it is imo not as big a deal in most fights as some players might say. I think I only reallly notice against big hp enemies like orks or unholds :shrug:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Donkringel posted:

I'd honestly advocate for the mod that cuts it by a third, it's so drat long.
Yeah! I use a mod in my cultists games because the vanilla settings are too drat slow. It can also be found in the doc I linked earlier

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Mazz posted:

it really still feels like Blazing messed with the map generation enough to sour me a bit
Been saying this

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I guess the map gripes are slightly different for everyone but for me the biggest sting has been the significant pushback of snow in the north while tundra has taken over. I find myself rolling new maps mainly because there is no castle on snow (hedgeknight spawns), no long stretch of road on snow (queensguard event), or no decently sized snow area for monster spawns (unhold fur). It feels like the introduction of the desert has just pushed the previous terrain up north and most of the snow fell of the map edge

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 13, 2022

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

How do you decide where to buy and sell? I usually carry a normal shield around and sell whenever it's priced at 16 or above
Yeah that's the way to go with the least headache imo. Though I prefer to greed my prices a bit if I'm not in pressing need for cash or out of inventory spaces. The only thing that I have a special rule for is treasures which I hold as long as possible to find prices of 20+. Usually most easily done in a southern town or in a town where you have lots of rep and some good events going atm

That one mod that shows the effects if you hover over town event bubbles is also good & cool because gently caress memorizing all that

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 24, 2022

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

In my heart of hearts I still hope that someone takes the BB engine and makes a story driven campaign game like Fire Emblem out of it. The game can already be used to produce scenario type battles as the old demo and the tutorial scenarios show. Just need to chain them together and add some story and scripting into the mix. Heck you can even use the unit roster/inventory screen as the intermission screen where you organize stuff between scenarios and the different type of town screens for shoping/hiring.......let me dream okay :qq:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

:hmmyes:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Trillhouse posted:

Is a named one-handed flail with max damage rolls (33-72) and +24% chance to hit head any good? It's 8k gold.
The BB wiki has a page where you can check out named items and the stat ranges that they can roll upon creation by the game. With that you can tell if that particular version of the item you're seeing has rolled well enough to justify the expense.

In your case the damage range is excellent and the % to hit head is also close to max (30%) so yeah it seems like a decent buy if you can spare the cash. You can probably recover the expense too if you go hunt for raiders afterwards and pop their heads for sweet armor loot.

E: Btw 8k for a named mace is more than double its base worth (3.4k) so you don't seem to be getting good prices in that town. I'm a little iffy on the math behind it though so I could be wrong. But if you can make the town like you more with an easy contract before you buy I'd suggest doing that either way.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Day 80 and not a single whip has been found....wth