Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

In this wild and wonderful iteration of Rockstar, we're gonna get meta. It's time to cover songs about songs, writing music, or the music industry!

[quote=Rockstar
What's Rockstar? How do I Rockstar?
The idea behind Rockstar is simple: you pick any song that fits the topic, then record a cover of it by the posted deadline. Once the deadline arrives, we get all the submissions together and make a poll/voting thread in GBS to determine the winner. The winner gets all the glory and gets to pick the next topic and post the next thread.

Who can participate?
Anyone, everyone. If you're willing to take the time to throw a song together, we're happy to have you.

Does it have to sound professional or anything?
Nope. You don't need fancy interfaces or access to a studio, just the ability to sit down and jam out a cover on whatever you got. Sure, production quality is good, but actually completing an entry is even better. So grab what you got and start laying down some tracks. There are plenty of resources in the Musicians Lounge if you need assistance with your setup or are having any technical issues.

Where should I host the music?
Soundcloud. Just make sure you allow people to download your music from Soundcloud, since some people like to load the music up on their iPod. Plus, that way, you don't need to worry about your internet connection when you're trying to make love to that special someone, or something, or KFC basket of Chicken Wings.

I really really really want to win. What's the secret?
First of all, settle down there chief. It ain't about winning. However, winning is simple, actually. Follow my three simple rules:
Pick a song that people have actually heard of. This isn't a time to establish your indie cred.
Switch up the genres in a funny way. Make a reggae version of a hard rock song. Do "Take the A Train" in the style of Kraftwerk's "Autobahn". Please don't turn a rap song into a mellow acoustic ballad. Straight covers rarely win because lets face it, you're no David Cassidy, and I think you know it.
Get off your fat butt and actually record something. Don't wait until the deadline. Thinking about it won't make it happen.
[/quote]

Here is a very small list of possible ideas

So get out and feel the Spirit of Radio, play your guitar on the MTV, listen to the music, and turn the beat around! The most important thing is to just get off your rear end and jam!

Tentative deadline is 11:59 EST, May 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I'm probably not gonna finish what with this being my last semester of university (hopefully), but I'll give Spirit of Radio a whack.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I hope people appreciate acoustic music, my Les Paul has finally succumbed to age and cheap Epiphone materials. I was restringing it last night and noticed that paint was chipping around the first fret. Upon closer inspection, it turns out the neck is cracked from the nut to the 3rd get under the high E string. Combined with the gremlins in the electronics I think it's time to just get something new.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I've successfully graduated and bought a new guitar! I guess I should get busy on this song.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I know I'm not done with my entry, if there's a 20 day extension could we get more entries?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

You may be right. Ever since there were more shitposts than content in the voting threads Rockstar's been declining. :smith:

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Extension it is.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Hawklad posted:

Sweet! Now I can finally get started on this one.

Please do! I always like your submissions.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Koivunen posted:

Yeah I know. July would be a wicked long extension and I definitely don't expect the deadline to be set that far out.

Congrats! July would be a bit of a stretch unfortunately, buuuuuuuuut, if no one has an objection I'd be okay letting it go so we can get more entries including yours.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Dammit, I wanted to be the one to kinda resurrect this. Oh well, at least I'm not alone working on stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/tom-f-lynn/spirit-of-radio-excerpt

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Laying down bass tracks tonight actually.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

So is anyone gonna be finished by tonight?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Okay, since no one but nh has finished (myself included) and we've had nearly two months extension, I'm kinda thinking RockStar is dead. It was a lot of fun and I know I learned a lot from the constructive criticism. I'm gonna keep working on Spirit of Radio, but I'm not gonna post a voting thread unless we get more than five finished pieces. No deadline. That said, I'm also gonna put together a list of as many previous RockStars as I can find and link it here. There has been some incredible talent in the past and I don't want to lose it.

E: Here ya go. Hopefully all the links still work.
RockStar XXXVIII: Super Sounds of the Seventies!
Rockstar 39: Apocalypse Dudes!
RockStar 40: GIRL POWER
Rockstar 41: Sould goes Punk
Rockstar 42: Good lovin' gone bad
Rockstar 43: Gettin' Mag7's Mom
Rockstar 44: Wintery Mix
Rockstar 45: Time Keeps on Slippin'
Rockstar 46: The Great American Songbook
Rockstar 47: La Estrella de Rock
Rockstar 48: Spy, spy, pretty goon, I see you see me through your window
Rockstar 49: You did what to my childhood?
Rockstar 50: One Hit, One Durr
Rockstar 51: Oh, the places you'll go!
Rockstar 52: Rock it like it's Hot!
Rockstar 53: No Business like Show Business
Rockstar 54: Long Live the King
Rockstar 55: We've Got Seasonal Disaffective Disorder!
Rockstar 56: The S is a Dollar Sign
Rockstar 57: Sexy Songs to Score to
Rockstar 58: Musicals-- Witty Subtitle Goes Here
Rockstar LIX: Modern Music Made More Better!
Rockstar 60: The Diamond Jubilee
Rockstar 61: That's (not) what I call GOTH ROCK
Rockstar 62: Petrol-headed Poetry
Rockstar Reboot 1: You're New Year's Resolution is probably getting Laid
Rockstar Reboot 2: Sinners and Saints/ Heaven & Hell
Rockstar 64 (yeah, I know): Dynamic Duos!
Rockstar LXV: CRUSH KILL DESTROY
Rockstar 66: Don't click this one
Rockstar LXVII: Hello from the Other Side
Rockstar 68: I AM A HIGHWAY
Rockstar 69: ALMOST TOO INTENSE
Rockstar 70: Figgy Pudding Edition
Rockstar 71: Space

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I'll have mine up by friday or saturday.

• Locked thread