Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Ocean Book posted:

I don't know if it gets mentioned anywhere in this thread, but there is a line of thought that says 'Yahweh' is actually a petty spirit that horned in on a greater beings creation so it could prop itself up as King poo poo. That's why Yahweh in the old testament is so jealous, arbitrary, and spiteful. This school of thought generally refers to the spirit as the 'Demiurge'.

Furthermore, some say the Demiurge matures and realizes that the way he formed the world was totally stupid and bad and made a terrible world he regretted, and that's why he incarnated himself as Christ and sacrificed himself on the cross, to give humanity the chance to redeem itself in his absence (god is literally dead theology).

just lol if you think you could possibly perceive the nature of god through the limitations of human cognition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

extra stout posted:

this sounds like the guy from tool stopped making dry wine and came back to write one more album but really doesn't have it in him

poo poo I'll still take that as high praise

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
none of that poo poo in the bible is true hth

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

rap music posted:

just lol if you think you could possibly perceive the nature of god through the limitations of human cognition

I'm smarter than god

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
the problem of evil is dumb because whos to say that a monotheistic god, if existent, really is omniscent, omnipresent, and omnibenevolent? It's just something people said in early antiquity. It's exactly what small children believe of their parents and the small children aren't actually correct.

basically this vvvvv

rap music posted:

Separately, in response to this ^^^^

I dont believe in the demiurge thing, but if Judaism and its children are literally true (and its holy texts are literally true and accurately report the nature of god) the demiurge theory as i described it is the most coherent explanation in my view.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Time is a plague
There's no time in this place
If you don't let me go
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Pick, I am an atheist, but I respect your Catholicism as the true Christianity and consider Protestants a different (worse) thing, just like Mormons. Also you have a cool pope right now so I can't hate on Catholics.

Who What Now posted:

Why would you avoid nihilism? Nihilism rules.

Nihilism is dumb and lazy (and wrong) metaethics, although Nihilists are nowhere near as annoying as Deontologists, who I consider to be worse than Scientologists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bodyholes posted:

Pick, I am an atheist, but I respect your Catholicism as the true Christianity and consider Protestants a different (worse) thing, just like Mormons. Also you have a cool pope right now so I can't hate on Catholics.

Nihilism is dumb and lazy (and wrong) metaethics, although Nihilists are nowhere near as annoying as Deontologists, who I consider to be worse than Scientologists

I saw the face of God

But I was alarmed to see

It looked exactly like my own

• Locked thread