Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

myDad posted:

God is a seed that only flowers when watered with the blood of the innocent

:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
I believe in God and am a Christian. I guess you could say the prime mover theory moved me.

Also He saved my life and that kind of thing is hard to ignore. Anyway I'm kind of just a humble guy so I don't claim to have all the answers about like why babies suffer or tsunamis happen and stuff but my personal experience is that there's a God that loves me.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

YOUR GOD IS DEAD AND NO ONE CARES

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
There used to be a god but I beat him to death in a parking lot cause I saw him key my brother's F-250.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

YOUR GOD IS DEAD AND NO ONE CARES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDfrrgqy_Eo

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

E: wrong thread

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 24, 2017

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

XMNN posted:

i sort of buy the free will answer to the problem of evil, but there are babies who are born into this world, spend their entire short lives in agonising pain and then die

if there is a god, "kind of an rear end in a top hat" is an understatement

that answers the problem of evil but it doesn't answer the problem of why poo poo like ebola exists

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

all that needs to be said really.

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

XMNN posted:

i sort of buy the free will answer to the problem of evil, but there are babies who are born into this world, spend their entire short lives in agonising pain and then die

if there is a god, "kind of an rear end in a top hat" is an understatement

Babies dying in agony can largely be traced back to free will and people being garbage. We can do lots about war, famine, preventable disease, but we dont. As far as children being born with some horrible incurable disease, we could also at least alleviate but medical care is ludicrously expensive/not available in 3rd world backwaters.

Moridin920 posted:

that answers the problem of evil but it doesn't answer the problem of why poo poo like ebola exists

Ebola and horrible poo poo exists because God gave us a paradise once and we spit in his face by disobeying the one rule he gave us.

Deadbeat Poetry fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 24, 2017

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
God set humans up to disobey his rule. He's omnipresent and omnipotent and manufactured the whole thing.

It was all intentional. He knew perfectly well exactly what was going to happen and he's the one who orchestrated it all.

What a loving piece of poo poo. God can suck my god damned balls and choke on 'em.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
God owes me a buck eighty the loving bum imma slash that boys tyres next time he rolls his ugly rear end into the rotten concrete lattice that is MY GODDAMN community!!!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"I gave birth to a harlequin baby whose every moment of its short life was screaming agony. this is because god must punish everyone because reasons."

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
can i opt out of the afterlife? can i just cease to exist?

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

Yeah but with all that money fame and success him and his team managed to capture and gently caress nearly 10,000 ducks! That's a lot of ducks!

Telephones fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 29, 2017

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

Hey Pick I was raised catholic too, what's your confirmation name? Mine's Thomas Aquinas. I'm actually at the tail end of a years long crisis of faith resulting in me identifying as atheist/agnostic.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

fbsw posted:

I can help with this, for a small fee. One weird trick that gets you out of life after death! Priests hate it!

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I can help with this, for a small fee. One weird trick that gets you out of life after death! Priests hate it!

do i need to suck anybody's dick

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

fbsw posted:

do i need to suck anybody's dick

Depends on whether you can pay the fee or not, really.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
what if sam harris is wrong and everyones mind still exists for like 40 hours after they die, but since you can't feel your dick you just feel dissatisfied as you imagine jerking off one last time

i hope this brings comfort tos omeone

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I imagine a shell to the dome would cut those 40 hours Short but also lmao at anybody actually buying into that given that anybody who goes without oxygen for like 10 minutes is 100% brain dead and the process starts at 6

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Lmao at anybody who is over 18 and hasn't chartered a will that states that if you flat line long enough to be a potato that you go out with decency.

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
Seer of millions of years
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I am the lord of eternity
I feel
I perceive
I am in the utchat in it's closing
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine
I go in and I come to life

extra stout posted:

what if sam harris is wrong and everyones mind still exists for like 40 hours after they die, but since you can't feel your dick you just feel dissatisfied as you imagine jerking off one last time

i hope this brings comfort tos omeone

this makes me want to kill myself the exact same amount as before

the answer is very much so.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Tonetta posted:

Lmao at anybody who is over 18 and hasn't chartered a will that states that if you flat line long enough to be a potato that you go out with decency.

gently caress that. I want to go out being a gigantic pain in the rear end to my family that they have to put up with for year and years. I want to die as I lived.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Which mods believe in god

Need to know so we can judge them

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Free will is the dumbest answer to the problem of evil. Why should a murderer's will to kill someone outweigh his victim's will not to be murdered?

A better answer is that it's not a problem at all - God can just be evil, and if you'll take a look around, I think you'll immediately conclude this is so.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

rap music posted:

concrete positions are a self imposed limitation

we exist within an infinite expanse of quantum uncertainty

"god" both simultaneously exists and does not

Sounds like something that that random Deepak Chopra quote generator came up with.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I don't normally do this but i can sell you some blessings with a goon discount

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Zorodius posted:

Free will is the dumbest answer to the problem of evil. Why should a murderer's will to kill someone outweigh his victim's will not to be murdered?

A better answer is that it's not a problem at all - God can just be evil, and if you'll take a look around, I think you'll immediately conclude this is so.

god wants you to buy a gun you stupid shithead

christ i mean its so obvious

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

fbsw posted:

there is no opt in. don't forget to turn the lights off

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I don't think there's any sort of supernatural aspect to our existence.
A couple weeks ago I was walking with a guy who was real excited about minerals leeching from rocks and washing down to the Gulf of Mexico. "Incidentally, that's where we're headed, too; in the fullness of time," he said jovially. Wanna chill with that dude again.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

what people call supernatural are phenomena that occur outside the scope of humanity's understanding of reality at our present stage of evolution lol

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am He
My stomach burns with indignation
All of your sins form an ulcer
It hurts me every day
In my rage I lash out
99 deaths at a time
99 deaths at a time
99 deaths at a time

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

The Dennis System posted:

Sounds like something that that random Deepak Chopra quote generator came up with.

that summarizes every single scientific attempt to avoid nihilism imo (you're not afraid of a picture from the year 1800 are you? yet you didn't exist then!) i'm also less afraid of WWII than WWIII, crazy, i wonder why??

don't get me wrong i'm still with science and constantly disappointed by the idea of faith, but i'm just willing to admit i am unfulfilled by science in many ways, even by the nature of the truth, the universe etc

i think owning your fear is part of being an adult and people who say they're not afraid of death either haven't thought about it for long or are omitting that they just happen to take daily anti-depressants

ra tehuti posted:

this makes me want to kill myself the exact same amount as before

the answer is very much so.

human bonding helps lower suicidal thoughts but what no one is willing to admit is that hating yourself or your universe does not at all diminish your ability to judge and even hate others, so those of us even with plenty of options for sex, friendship, etc, still often indirectly choose to be alone with our misery

extra stout fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 25, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

extra stout posted:

that summarizes every single scientific attempt to avoid nihilism imo (you're not afraid of a picture from the year 1800 are you? yet you didn't exist then!) i'm also less afraid of WWII than WWIII, crazy, i wonder why??

don't get me wrong i'm still with science and constantly disappointed by the idea of faith, but i'm just willing to admit i am unfulfilled by science in many ways, even by the nature of the truth, the universe etc

i think owning your fear is part of being an adult and people who say they're not afraid of death either haven't thought about it for long or are omitting that they just happen to take daily anti-depressants

Understand that you are a wave phenomenon
You are a ripple in time
Space folded in just such a way
To birth you with eyes to see
The splendid suns within you
And me

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Understand that you are a wave phenomenon
You are a ripple in time
Space folded in just such a way
To birth you with eyes to see
The splendid suns within you
And me

this sounds like the guy from tool stopped making dry wine and came back to write one more album but really doesn't have it in him

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mre
College Slice
God is the warmth in my heart :unsmith:

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

yo this experience of reality is an inevitability given the infinite expanse of the multiverse

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Blazing Ownager posted:

After reading several world religions and putting it through a modern understanding of morality.. if there is a God, he's the bad guy.

The most insane, blood crazed dictator of all time. People love to repeat how God is love, while God tells you that he loves you - but will smite you for eternity if you don't fall to your knees worshiping him. Seriously if the biblical God was a real person with a similar track record he would be sitting next to a line up of the worst dictators of all time, as the king.

True believers who think torture is wrong make me laugh because yeah, hurting someone in the real world a little is so rough.. yet God's just for taking this person we refused to hurt and sticking them in a trillion year lake of fire. Uh-huh.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Hell most Christians still don't seem to get that God destroys the world. Hell if you re-read the story of Revelations, what is even the crime? The "evil" side comes to Earth and brings us peace on Earth, peace in the middle east even, prosperity on a global scale and more.. God promptly wipes them out for with ludicrously over the top plagues and destroys the whole planet.

Yet I can't really tell what "evil" he's supposed to be cleansing. If anything it sounds like his rival did a better job running the planet and he flipped the game board like a pissed off 7 year old.

ED: Actually the most horrifying/interesting part of Revelation to me is when all of Earth's armies unite to try to fight God and fail; while the implication is the anti-Christ is trying to fight him, there's something kind of Chtulu-esque about that.

Glory to Herbert West!

I don't know if it gets mentioned anywhere in this thread, but there is a line of thought that says 'Yahweh' is actually a petty spirit that horned in on a greater beings creation so it could prop itself up as King poo poo. That's why Yahweh in the old testament is so jealous, arbitrary, and spiteful. This school of thought generally refers to the spirit as the 'Demiurge'.

Furthermore, some say the Demiurge matures and realizes that the way he formed the world was totally stupid and bad and made a terrible world he regretted, and that's why he incarnated himself as Christ and sacrificed himself on the cross, to give humanity the chance to redeem itself in his absence (god is literally dead theology).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

extra stout posted:

that summarizes every single scientific attempt to avoid nihilism imo

Why would you avoid nihilism? Nihilism rules.

• Locked thread