Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

PMush Perfect posted:

Nah, but new OP and ED next week with the new cour. Hope we get another Best Girls ED.
I imagine it will be something like that since the ED is being done by LiSA.

Tsuyu never made any friends because she was busy taking care of her siblings, was working towards going to UA, and people had a hard time approaching her because her face is hard to read.

Which speaks to heteromorphic mutations being insanely common. Tsuyu being a froggirl didn't really gross anyone out or repulse anyone, people just were less comfortable to approach or interact with her because she's really really hard to read and that makes conversation awkward. I think her frogform-induced poker face works really well with her bluntness- it'd make sense to be more direct/blunt when you can't emote as much as other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

PMush Perfect posted:

That would make sense, but it'd still be like mocking someone for being left handed. Makes sense in kindergarten, not so much in middle school.
Quirks are kinda viewed like a part of being an average human being in the MHA-verse. Midoriya probably was looked at like he was literally disabled.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The new OP is alright. That ED is great. Totally didn't expect that; maybe we'll get the kung-fu AU in the next one.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

gnome7 posted:

Full Cowl. I have no idea why they added the "ing."
Technically either is grammatically correct.

It's just that cowling sounds stupid.

EmmyOk posted:

That is almost certainly not the case.
It's heavily implied by Horikoshi himself in one of his asides in a volume extra.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I hope if we get a season 3 that the OP for the arc is really over the top. Like, Nano would be perfect. Or MAN WITH A MISSION or something.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I thought the Zolo romanization of Zoro was literally a copyright issue.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The fight turned out pretty decent for being post-budget-spectacular. Also wow that's a lot of blood and violence given the time-slot.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/879372891946717188

Basically this.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Moltrey posted:

i bet Horikoshi totally and sincerely loves or at one point did love Spawn and that rules
This is part of his office.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mordaedil posted:

Check out Superdickery for more silverage shenanigans.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Deku specifically just sent his location to his entire contact list. He didn't know Todoroki was in the immediate area- he was mostly hoping someone would be around or realize that him broadcasting his location with no context might set off alarm bells for someone.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The most badly translated line in the episode is the one from the last season that Midoriya thought of when he recalled All Might confronting Shigaraki.

"The eyes of you white-collar criminals burn silently."

...what? The idea I think is to say "your eyes are empty" or lacking conviction or something; basically saying that Shigaraki is mad but has no powerful conviction. But that line is poo poo and probably one of those overly literal translations.

E: like here's the Viz translation, which for once isn't overly literal and dry. Still think Viz is boring though.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 26, 2017

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Moltrey posted:

Speaking of, Viz is going to start putting the spin off manga on their site, has anyone read it because I've heard LITERALLY nothing about it in my circles
It's a fun read but takes a bit for the characters to really show their true colors and become likable.

MC is a laid-back hero wannabe with a movement quirk that is pretty decent but not super OP who wears an All Might hoodie and picks up trash/gives directions/helps people across the street; and is basically only a vigilante at the start because if you have to be pedantic he's using his quirk without registration. Basically the nicest dude on earth and a huge dork.

He ends up the "disciple" of a middle-aged masked man who beats the poo poo out of street thugs while again, being unlicensed.

And his third "group" member is a middle-school girl who goes by "Pop Step" and does guerrilla street performances in costume and uses her super-jumping quirk because the man wants her to use the sidewalk like some kind of chump.

It takes place a vague amount of time before MHA (~2-4 years maybe) and dovetails into the manga's plot through connected characters, events, etc. There are some way more blatant comic references; middle-school thug wolverine and cyclops are recurring characters and the loving avengers show up at one point.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Gran Torino didn't really do a lot of non-AFO related heroing; he himself says he only got certed to use his quirk freely and teach All Might.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's not super complicated why Stain was killing seemingly random heroes and crippled Ingenium despite him being a pretty good dude.

Stain lost the plot.

His background is sympathetic, but he's gotten so loving pissed off (probably because his murders aren't "waking society up" because he apparently never bothered to explain to the world WHY HE IS KILLING PEOPLE) that basically everyone who isn't All Might is a fake until proven otherwise. He doesn't research- he's basically sure everyone's a phony unless they somehow prove otherwise right there when he shows up.

Midoriya shows up, says the right words, then puts his life on the line to do the right thing for no promise of a reward in the face of overwhelming odds. That checks all of Stain's boxes, so he tries to spare him, goes easy on him in the fight, and then later saves him.

Ingenium never had a chance. He chases Stain and confronts him, Stain sees another costumed rear end in a top hat with a big flashy agency and if he knows Iida's family then it's even worse because this dude is just doing it because his parents and grandparents did it. So he carves his loving spine out.

Really- if I was Stain the dude I'd kill is All Might. I wouldn't be happy about it but All Might is in fact the pillar that holds up a world of what Stain considers fakes. All Might is a hero to such a point in power/charisma he holds crime in check just by existing- and this slack lets everyone else be fake. Endeavor being #2 basically proves it- Heroism is more than just being super efficient at beating up criminals but Endeavor doesn't have to check any boxes besides "I can own mentally ill people and street muggers super good" because oh poo poo look All MIGHT has the inspirational/intimidating presence of a top 100 list of heroes.

tl;dr This is basically All Might's fault; his pillar of peace thing wasn't a good idea

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Endeavor is such a terrible person I wouldn't want to learn anything from him, regardless of how effective he is. His motivations drive his methods and if heroism is supposed to mean something more than being good at beating up villains and rescuing people from disasters anything you pick up from observing him is tainted right at the outset. Simply being around the guy is placing yourself in a toxic environment.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I unironically think that as he's written, Stain would not be on his crusade if the job had any title but "hero". He's absolutely obsessed with the purest definition of it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Filler episode characters are cool looking.

The octopus dude's name is literally "Innsmouth".

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Zaphod42 posted:

If Stain ever encountered Froppy he would have to admit that All Might is not the only pure hero

Awesome. Is he a villain I assume?
I'm guessing this is Tsuyu's side-story for her internship so he could be the stowaway she busts.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
this was a good filler episode.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Nitrousoxide posted:

I was kinda worried froppy was gonna get her tongue ripped out there.
To be fair this is why Froppy wouldn't last long as a villain-fighting hero in a more "realistic" world. If I got grabbed by her and had an edged weapon I know what I'd be slashing at.

Or in the case of a strong/fast villain. Just grab that tongue and rip it out.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Peel posted:

If we're talking a realistic version I want to take a moment to reflect on how horrific Ashido's quirk is.
I really kinda wonder how she's going to fight as a pro. I guess just slide around and kungfu people because uh, burning people into submission with acid seems really unheroic

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

We already saw a strong villain this episode and the Tongue could not be ripped out. Tsuyu's body was pulled instead.
To be fair he didn't try too hard. You need leverage. Muscular could probably do it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kaubocks posted:

ok cool, it was just a lot to take in and try to parse the "rules" of All for One on the fly. it helps a lot too to understand more what One for All actually is which i realized when talking with a friend. i was of the understanding that One for All was a collection of quirks that kept growing, like for example first OFA gets passed to someone with flight, then when it get passes to a guy with super strength that guy also has flight, then when it gets passed down to a guy with xray vision he can now fly and be super strong. my friend corrected me that One for All is more a power in its own right, something that just started out super weak and the more it gets passed down the more it evolves and gains power.

my original thinking of the power made things confusing because it was hard to tell what the differences between One for All and All for One actually were since they sounded pretty similar. now I better understand OFA is one power biding its time and getting stronger and AFO is just literal 1-for-1 quirk redistribution

Basically All For One and his Brother had quirks that mirrored eachother.

All For One himself has no powers innate to himself other than to steal the powers of others and either use them, or distribute them.

One For All has no innate power either- his quirk isn't to steal anything. His quirk can only pass itself on, and only when he wants to. All For One cannot steal it. It merged with a Power Stockpiling quirk that was forced on him by All For One (either out of pity, or as a means to control him). Thus you now have a quirk that stockpiles super strength slowly with the benefit of being able to be passed on from user to user.

All For One is insanely loving dangerous- if it isn't insanely clear from the explanation he creates the Noumu. He steals quirks from other people, then modifies victims to be able to handle the burden of multiple quirks. Well, "Handle the Burden" by fixing their bodies/brains just enough that they can fight and follow orders- the person they were is utterly dead.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The soundtrack during the whole explanation is great.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Monoma isn't technically wrong in his assertions about class 1-A being trouble magnets.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
OST for season 2 is starting to pop up places and it's really good. Also I can't figure out where half of it is played during the season.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Cheston posted:

I'm really digging Jet Set Run. Season 2 OST is super on point.

aaaw :( I haven't read the manga, but if every side character that's introduced isn't necessarily recurring from that point on, that actually gives me a lot of faith in Horikoshi. Always leave 'em wanting more / Please God Please Don't Stall The Story Just To Cover 800 Characters.

When Mei does come back it owns though.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm still wondering why Tsuyu's immediate thought about the cuffs was to ingest them so she could vomit them up later. I guess she doesn't have any pockets.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Let's not start the complaining about Momo's costume because it ain't gonna change

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't really care. Like at all honestly.

Especially given the series' contemporaries in the magazine.

E: I just rewatched the episode real quick and I didn't really see anything to the degree of what people are talking about. Ya'll got brain worms. I guess everyone's dropping the series next season when one of the few actual fanservice moments shows up.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 10, 2017

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Tollymain posted:

ive probably posted it before in the manga thread but i really want momo to come up with a supermove of creating an entire set of like eod-level armor around her in one go at some point
Yeah, I was kinda hoping she'd pull poo poo like the Iron Blood Alchemist at some point.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kild posted:

you say it as if there's only 1 part
I can only think of one scene really if the next season covers the two big arcs.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

oh no is the fan service part that's coming up next season bad
Mineta is involved and it's literally the most warmed over of anime fanservice cliche scenes. Like probably the #1 most cliche.

Kaubocks posted:

it's not necessarily going to put most people off the series entirely but it's just a thing that is lame and we can all collectively hope that someday we can move beyond weak-effort "fan service" shots

hth

Moltrey posted:

ill gladly watch mt lady fling her big rear end around all day but it's incredibly lame when horikoshi does it to his like six or so teenage characters and making mineta his creator's pet to get horny over fifteen year olds is like the only very bad thing about this series imo and fitting to discuss in this, the thread for the my hero academia animation.
I get you but man, comparing MHA to say Yuuna/Souma/Black Clover/etc I feel kinda blessed it has all been as tame as it has. Like, Horikoshi isn't going back to add nipples to full-frontal shots in his volumes is all I'm saying- like the mangaka that does Yuuna.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

dogsicle posted:

why would you compare MHA and Black Clover to literal ecchi series tho, of course they're tame in comparison.
They're in the same mag targeted at the same age-group and general audience (tween boys). There has definitely been worse WSJ series (and battle shounen if you're getting specific) regarding fanservice. I'm just saying- count your blessings.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

YF-23 posted:

Yep, that's how it works, when you like something and point out there are bad parts it means you're going to drop it. You nailed it dude.

Since you couldn't see it I went through the episode again. These three shots had no reason to have the focus that they did. This being animation, I hope you understand that this isn't something like an unfortunate camera angle. It's something that was deliberately set up and presented this way. It could have been presented differently, but it wasn't, and that's because someone made a choice.
Those shots (which I counted and compose an incredible 15 seconds totaled up) didn't really strike me as fan-servicey. Or at least they didn't stick in my head. That weird?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

The Lord of Hats posted:

While the shot is definitely bad for the fanservice, what bothered me more in the moment was how bad her running form was. She's training to be a pro hero, she should be able to do better than "stereotypical unathletic girl run with flailing arms". I get that she was panicked, but come on :argh:.

The dumbest part of Momo's outfit IMO are the high heel boots. Even from a height perspective they're dumb because she's like the third tallest person in the class.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Man I was hoping we'd get Encounter.

That's a great hook for season 3.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mordaedil posted:

Well, he's wrong, but Mineta as a girl would be a improvement.
being a gross pervert isn't really okay regardless of gender

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

PMush Perfect posted:

I think the difference is that there's something a bit less inherently bad about make a female pervert character when (especially in Japan) it's something of a taboo for women to even express that they have sexual interest at all. Still a weird thing to do with a character, but it'd be a little bit less awful.
Molesting people and violating their privacy is just as bad if it's a woman doing it. Like full stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Moltrey posted:

The locker scene with Mineta is probably the worst for me as Jiro is sad and embarrassed that she was the only girl Mineta wasn't trying to perv on, implying she would've felt better if she DID get creeped on, ending the scene with the notion that Perving On Women Is Good Because At Least It Makes Them Feel Attractive which hooooooly poo poo what. like it's the the intent probably but yeah that's probably been the worst for me

Kaminari is mostly fine, like the cheerleader outfit thing is weird but also he actually talks to the girls and they're just not interested cause he's a goober.
The Jirou thing didn't really strike me as problematic because there's already a dynamic where she's body conscious and Momo very extremely isn't which kinda works as a dynamic beyond fanservice at least a little honestly. Momo needs to expose her body at least somewhat to use her quirk and doesn't seem terribly well socialized (she's kinda bad at reading social cues)- of course she can't be body conscious because she couldn't work as a hero otherwise. Her self-confidence issues are related to competency.

Jirou actually acts like an average teen- she's arguably the least physically developed of the girls and has some body image issues because of it (partially because she's friends with Momo who basically looks like an adult woman standing at 5'8" where the rest of the girls barely make it over 5"). It's like one of the few instances where the kids act like kids instead of proto-adult heroes. Kaminari and Jirou actually are about the most normal kids in the class- Kaminari has trouble focusing on classwork, less creepily sideeyes girls with Mineta, and (unsuccessfully) macks on every chick he meets (he makes a move on Uraraka right off).

Mineta gets out and out owned immediately when he peeps which kinda softens the scene- him groping Tsuyu (twice) was more gross IMO. The "Uraraka has PMS" joke was something I 100% would've heard in high school so ehhh.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 12, 2017

• Locked thread