Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

dogsicle posted:

dunno if this came up already, but Stain taking down Ingenium always confused me. we see in the most recent ep that Ingenium was initially/partially motivated to hero out of a sense of obligation and tradition, but that was in a private conversation to his brother. outside of that i'm not really sure why Stain would have reason to make him a victim. are we just supposed to assume Stain infers this sort of thing somehow or that his adherence to absolutes make this a case where he made a mistake?

Stain is a loving psycho. "Don't listen to the logic of a murderer" was a really good line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Endeavor is a real piece of work and a terrible person; an abusive husband and father who shouldn't be held up as a role model. Stain is using his (justified?) hatred of dudes like Endeavor to murder totally normal people. He's no better than Shigaraki; he's just better at lying to himself about it.

His expectation that heroes have to be like All Might is absurd. No one can be like All Might. The very first thing that happens in this story is we find out that All Might isn't All Might; as the story has gone on it's progressively stripped the layers of mythology from Toshinori Yagi, revealing the man underneath the impossible ideal. Stain is delusional.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't really think the native was hunting him, and Stain had to start somewhere, bore he was known.

Honestly Stain is cool but he doesn't have an overarching idea just half backed tropes crunched together.

I disagree. I think the point is that it doesn't fit together, that villians "but they have a code" are just villians. It doesn't matter if Stain is right about the flaws of society or not; his response is dangerously wrong. I enjoy that MHA doesn't seem to truck with the idea that 'oh, it's your MOTIVATIONS that are the important part'; what you do is what you do. It's very fresh, especially compared to a lot of anime where any villian, no matter how awful his actions, can be redeemed if they just have a tragic enough backstory and some kind of 'pure' motivation.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

CharlestheHammer posted:

I hope not that is really dumb.

Anime... is for dorks.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

PMush Perfect posted:

My Hero Academia Anime Thread: Froppy! Froppy! Froppy!

Nthed.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

And the personalities! I think Jiro as Alien Queen Pinky is my favorite. She just looks so excited!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Mt. Lady is such a great superhero name. It cracks me up every single time.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I love that Bakugo and Kirishima really are friends. Bakugo is genuinely trying to help Kirishima here, even if he's being the usual rear end in a top hat about it.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Kaubocks posted:

kirishima deserves a better friend

I think Kirishima is everyone's friend. Everyone everywhere seems to like Kirishima. The Hero so nice they made him twice!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Todoroki's also not the type to vote for himself, for the same reason he didn't choose a hero name. He just wants to be himself, not a 'hero' or even a 'class rep'(even if he's not sure what that is). It makes sense to me. Who else would he have voted for?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
The idiot otherwise child-like pervert is a classic comedy relief character. The problems with Mineta are twofold:

1. His schemes go beyond 'high school idiot pranks' and into outside sexual harassment (groping, etc.)

2 The show seems rewards his antics by burying him (and the camera) waist-deep in titty. Which is kind of weird and off-putting, I'm a show that seems to take seriously the question of heroism, of good and bad behavior.

The tone would be a little different if it was Lady Box Wine instead of Mr. Grape Juice, but the problems would remain.

Like, uh, electricity dude trying to hit on chicks and being slapped around by Jiro is a similar kind of joke and infinitely better executed. The scene where they're in the locker room, Mineta tries to peep in, gets Jiro'ed worked more or less OK too.

TLDR: Call the police on Mineta.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 12, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Moltrey posted:

The locker scene with Mineta is probably the worst for me as Jiro is sad and embarrassed that she was the only girl Mineta wasn't trying to perv on, implying she would've felt better if she DID get creeped on, ending the scene with the notion that Perving On Women Is Good Because At Least It Makes Them Feel Attractive which hooooooly poo poo what. like it's the the intent probably but yeah that's probably been the worst for me
I forgot about that part. Well, scratch that. I meant the basic structure of "he tries to peek through the hole, surprise, it's Jiro's quirk" is a superhero twist on your like basic teen comedy.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Alright. Let's move on to a completely uncontroversial topic.

Who... is best girl? (it's Uraraka)

Ed: I don't normally give a drat about teenage romance but I want her and Deku to continue being cute... forever

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 12, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Froppy! Froppy! Froppy!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Radish posted:

I feel like I'm in crazy town here but I hope we can at least admit that Creati sucks.

As a hero name its awful.

I like Yayozoru though. I think she's a very relatable character. She's a good kid having trouble living up to the expectations she & society have placed on herself. It leads her to freeze up and not assert herself, even when she's capable of doing well (as was a big part of the last episode). It makes her less fun than some of the more lighthearted characters, like Mina, but balance is important. Plus I like her anime spike hair.

She's a good counterpoint to Iida, who covers somewhat similar emotional territory.

Iida is best boy. He just tries. So. Hard.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Name tier list:

S+ Mt. Lady
S Froppy, Alien Queen
A: Eraserhead, Serophane
D: Creati

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
how did i forget about BEST JEANIST

SpacePig posted:

. For now, that role can be filled by Kirishima.

The kid with the steel quirk from class 1B? I dunno, he doesn't really stand out.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Caphi posted:

Footnote: Aoi Yuuki is great.

Wait, Froppy is Hibiki?

:krad:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
This is probably more appropriate for the anime recommendation thread, but One Punch Man and Cowboy Bebop are as good of a place to start as any.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Cowboy Bebop is very different from most anime, fwiw. Beyond it's deliberate nods to Western/American culture (Cowboys, Jazz, Blues), it's a lot more deliberate and subdued in both tone and subject matter than a lot of popular anime.' It also doesn't have the 'problem' a lot of genre anime have that they expect their viewers to be familiar with aspects of their genre that the show will then play straight or subvert. EG, One Punch Man is a parody of the genre of superhero / battle anime that My Hero Academia is in. Both of these make it more accessible to Western audiences.

That's part of what makes Bebop such a good 'first anime'. The other parts are it's great dub and the fact that it is just straight up fantastic.

Please continue to post your thoughts; a new thread or the anime chat thread are both good choices.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

bogoodski posted:

Cool. I'll get on it. Probably today. Appreciate the interest.

You could call it My Anime Academia

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

PMush Perfect posted:

My Boku Neon Genesis Hero Cowboy Academia Ball Super: The Second Raid

My Boku Neon Genesis Hero Cowboy Academia Ball Super: The Second Raid 2.22: you can (not) rewatch

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 24, 2018

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
This show is amazing and I don't agree with the ADRTW grousing about it being a 'normie' show. In a year less jam-packed with instant classics than 2017 I think it could have won AOTY easy.

I think it ended up being underrepresented in ADRTW's AOTY because

1. we tend to put an emphasis on shows that mean the most to us personally

2. ADRTW's audience is older, gayer, and leftier than most Western anime fans.

E.G, It was narrowly chased off my top 5 by Demi-Chan, which is a much more uneven show that means more to me on a personal level.

MHA also has probably the best overall character design of any anime I've ever seen. The mangaka has a talent.

TLDR: Show is great, I can't wait for season 3.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 26, 2018

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Wait was that a thing?
MHA is one of the best currently running manga, and definitely top 3 shounen, and the anime was great too.

On and off. I don't think anyone thinks the show is awful or anything, but I think there's a bit of blowback from how much attention it gets compared to subforum faves (eg, with the recent anime awards).

Ed: on re-reading no one really did that? So congratulations to me for taking a tough stand against something no one disagrees with, wow, I'm so brave

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 26, 2018

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Shere posted:

I don't think anyone here would put someone down for saying MHA is their favorite series, but it's probably not going to win any 'AOTY' awards, for as little as they matter.

I mean, it's a good series and as anime go it has killer production chops, but it's still shounen so there's always going to be an air of self indulgence to watching it because that's by and large what the genre is about.

If the question is "What's was the best anime of the past year?" I'm probably going to pick something that took more risks or had something poignant and interesting to say. I'd name something that's undeniably a work of art or a masterwork within it's genre from start to finish. I probably wouldn't pick an on-going shounen series with plenty of room left to flourish or fail.

However, if you asked me what I had the most fun watching in that same time span, it would definitely be the 22 minutes Deku spent punching some sense into Todoroki.

Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean by self-indulgent as a criticism. MHA seems way less self-indulgent than a lot of comparable series. The plot and characters don't line up to slobber all over Deku's knob, and a wide variety of characters are portrayed as real, fallible people with strengths and weaknesses who need to grow and change and work together. It's not just 'waiting for goku'.

Plus, perennial ADRTW favorites Symphogear and Gurren Lagann are insanely self-indulgent and that's a huge part of why I like them.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Shere posted:

Shounen is basically reader wish-fulfillment. It's targeted at young boys so it can't ever get too dark, or too complicated. It's serialized in a weekly publication so it has to play to an audience.

It's sort of like professional wrestling in a lot of ways, for better and for worse. That's what I mean by self-indulgent. It's basically a performance.

I love it. I want other people to love it. It's also in acknowledgment that it's appealing to some really basic parts of my brain, the parts that like things being punched really hard, underdog stories, and emotional drum fills paired with swelling violin.

I don't really want to get stuck in this whole discussion loop because really, if it's someone's favorite series ever - that's totally fine. There's better stuff out there for the ~discerning critic~, and also tons worse. I'm just trying to explain why it's not exactly ridiculous for it to lose out (or even fail to be considered) in mostly-pointless AOTY discussions.

Ok, I see what you're getting at. I guess it depends on what you want from your art. I tend to judge anime more like music than literature, if that makes sense. My favorite albums are the ones that make me feel strong emotion or I just find 'cool', and that doesn't necessarily line up with the ones that have the most well-considered or original artistic message. 'Best' can mean a different things to different people.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

DisDisDis posted:

If all the shows better than it in 2017 didn't exist it would be the best show of 2017 is... a true statement

Dude dis c'mon. What I'm trying to say is, I think My Hero Academia S2 is better than any anime that aired in say, 2016.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 27, 2018

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

PMush Perfect posted:

They're not normally teenage girls in a series where creepy sex jokes are present.

She's invisible.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

fool_of_sound posted:

Guy with Tail x Invisible Girl is anything but token, friend.

He ain't called Tailman for nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Carlosologist posted:

I’m todoroki in that Venn diagram

Also wtf is good with Endeavor, gently caress that guy. He’s exactly like every crazy sports parent that’s ever lived. If y’all follow the NBA, he’s essentially LaVar Ball. For an older example, Todd Marinovich’s dad.

gently caress Endeavor

Oh my god. I can't unsee it.

• Locked thread