Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Petiso posted:

I don't know what kind of shows you're comparing this one to, but the pace is going real fast if you look at any other typical Shonen Jump series adaptation. We've got the festival explanation, Deku's talk with All Might, class 1-B introduction, a training montage, the opening ceremony and the first segment of the race all in one episode with nothing stretched and no filler.

It's relative. The manga compared to other shonen has a rather blistering pace. The anime just feels slower by comparison to the original material, though not by much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Magni posted:

She's quite possibly even crazier than that. Using her quirk seems to just use up small amounts of her body fat depending on what she creates. The only other limitations are that whatever she's creating must be small enough for her to pull it out of her body, and she needs to understand the exact details and material makeup down to the smallest part. The latter could normally be a pretty substantial hurdle, but Momo's a freakin' genius.

The other limitation is that she thinks way, way too much about how her power can potentially disrupt the economy. If given the choice, she will always buy something rather than make it with her power because it is her DUTY to the FREE MARKET.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu is one of the best names in the series.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Attack on Titan
Hunter x Hunter
Black Lagoon
Soul Eater
Mob Psycho 100
Akame ga Kill
Drifters

All of those have great action, beautiful designs and great stories.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Heck no. Akame ga Kill is probably one of the more aggressively boring (yet somehow also edgelord) shonen I've seen in a while.

Also, Drifters is fine but in tone nothing like MHA--it's a Kouta Hirano work.

Black Lagoon is a similar problem. Excellent show, one of my favorites; but I wouldn't recommend someone go from MHA to it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

MonsterEnvy posted:

Though the fact that she was easily beaten by Tokoyami it makes a lot of sense for her to be frustrated.

What I suspect will frustrate he even more is when she realizes that she had a hard counter to Tokoyami if she'd only been able to gather herself. She can make just about anything so long as she understands how it's made. This includes stuff with moving parts but more importantly flash grenades.

This was a good episode and I'm glad that they expanded on the fights from this stage a little. I'm always up for Mina getting more screentime.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I like how Bakugou was (pretty much) the one who treated Uraraka with the most respect this episode. My favorite detail was how he did not relax his fighting stance until the fight was officially called. It really plays well with Eraserhead's admonishment of the audience.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Countblanc posted:

i wonder what Posting-based quirks exist in the MHA universe

Given that Manga Fukidashi exists, who knows? (He's a background character. Literally background, in that as far as I know, he's never spoken. If you look carefully, you can spot him in this arc.)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
This fight translated beautifully into animation. I love how this version really impresses on you how close the match was and how much both of them had to put on the line to try to win. It's also really helps get across why both of them have what it takes to be heroes in a very public way.

Also, gently caress Endeavor.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Butt Ghost posted:

I'm going to punch the gently caress out of endeavor and none of you are gonna stop me also why is everything bold now?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fabricated posted:

I'm really happy they worked in the Uraraka eyeball gag there at the end along with the stuff with Midoriya and Todoroki with their mothers.

It's nice to see a story about high schoolers that actually have parents that EXIST and are present in their kids lives. Well, except for that one dude. He sucks.

Really need a gif of the eye thing. My favorite part of this bit is that given the world of MHA--it's entirely possible that that is just something that Uraraka's eyes do sometimes, because they're all mutants.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Kanos posted:

It's really too bad that Endeavor is human garbage because his design is fantastic.

The curse of a manga/anime with great character design--even the assholes look good.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Also, Kirishima feels like the protagonist of a different show, happening in some alternate universe.

Kirishima is frequently good and cool.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Beasteh posted:

Tokoyami went from 'lol his head is a bird' to 'holy poo poo he is powerful and good actually' over the sport festival arc

He's low-key one of the most powerful students in Class 1a.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Roland Jones posted:

Guy has quicksand powers. No, I don't know how they're related. He's still neat though.

Oh, it's likely not related at all. People in MHA just have weird physical mutations.

Sometimes the mutations are related to powers--like Tsuyu. Other times they have a bird head because, well, their parents had bird heads too.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fabricated posted:

I imagine it will be something like that since the ED is being done by LiSA.

Tsuyu never made any friends because she was busy taking care of her siblings, was working towards going to UA, and people had a hard time approaching her because her face is hard to read.

Which speaks to heteromorphic mutations being insanely common. Tsuyu being a froggirl didn't really gross anyone out or repulse anyone, people just were less comfortable to approach or interact with her because she's really really hard to read and that makes conversation awkward. I think her frogform-induced poker face works really well with her bluntness- it'd make sense to be more direct/blunt when you can't emote as much as other people.

The most minor of setting details from the manga: Non-quirk physical mutations are common enough that pretty much all clothing stores in the MHA world have tailoring services.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

EmmyOk posted:

Why is Jiro rated so highly!

She's ranked pretty well in both polls so far--people just really like her design. Also, she's often the one who reprimands Mineta, so maybe that's a factor? In a later arc, she does so in a spectacular and memorable manner, if I recall correctly.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

don't do this

saga is a solid self contained narrative though

Agreed on both counts. Don't check out Invincible and do check out Saga.

Invincible just never loving knew what tone it was going for and constantly lurched between goofy hero poo poo and super violent serious hero comic. After a while, it just got unreadable.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I have to imagine that making those silver age covers was the most fun part of the job because they often had nothing to do with the contents of the book, so you could go wild. Just draw whatever gets people's attention like monkeys, robots, and so on, and then ratchet up the crazy to ten.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Moltrey posted:

Tsuyu saying "You can enjoy watching me in this anime-original episode!" is one of the most self aware I've ever seen a series be

also todoroki has no respect for cops, hes a great hero

Did not expect them to say that in the preview. Anime is not usually that direct about filler.

Also, it was great to see those villains at the end.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The Lord of Hats posted:

Give me my loving SoL starring Mina already! :argh:

He gets more development later on. He' *is* a relatively serious dude, but he also has a huge chuuni streak. It doesn't stand out quite as much because he actually does have a literal dark spirit inside of him that's hard to control, but he is absolutely acting dark and brooding because he thinks it's badass.

I feel he had Mina Ashido come from a similar place here. Mina saw Aliens and went "Wow, they've got acid and junk--just like me!" while Tokoyami at around 11-12 watched a bunch of shonen with heroes with DARK UNCONTROLLABLE POWER and had the same sort of thought. It's just that Tokoyami went all in, while Mina just admires Xenomorphs.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

I can't remember the last time a shonen anime had a soundtrack this good.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
With Horikoshi, always look at the hands.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, the rankings all make sense when you give it a little thought. You can imagine that he and his assistants set out a bunch of cards and shuffled them around until the rankings felt right.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

raocow posted:

I wonder how I'd feel if my kid got beaten up into unconsciousness by his teacher.

They gotta learn how to take a punch eventually. Or at least dodge.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

gmq posted:

Well, now I want that. Thanks a lot, jerk.

The manga already has two spin-offs, but I'm sure there's room for at least one more.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fabricated posted:

We're basically teasing season 3 at this point. I wonder if it'll be 2 cour again. I can't think of a good stopping point because the next 2 major arcs are 1 cour of material.

I'm thinking either one or an irregular-length season. There's a certain point that I can't imagine them not ending on or around.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Thor-Stryker posted:

I dont get why Momo is a hero, she should have been in the support class given that her skill isn't technically an offensive ability. She should be working with Mei on some bomb-rear end gear.

You can get a lot done with grenades.

Seriously, her power is very flexible and one of the big issues for professional heroes is bad-match-ups, as you see in the first episode. If their quirk is a bad match for the villain's quirk, they may be left on the sidelines to wait for another hero to come along rather than charge in and have to be rescued themselves.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I had no idea Abridged Series' were still relevant outside of DBZ and maybe YGO since it kinda started it.

Apparently it's still a pretty vibrant scene. Last year, TFS had an abridging contest and the finalists were (almost) all pretty good and worth watching.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fabricated posted:

I bet money on a 2-cour third season. I did the math on the chapters we covered so far in season 2 and covering the same # of chapters ends on a pretty strong note.

Yeah, after doing the same math myself, I would be very surprised if it's not a 2-cour.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Oh, you know who'd be fun as the protagonist? Mina Ashido. Good design and it would be interesting to see how she struggles with such a dangerous power that contrasts with her generally bubbly sort of personality.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Blaze Dragon posted:

The Hatoful Boyfriend/My Hero Academia crossover's looking very good.

Would Tokoyami be a bird with a human head?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

PMush Perfect posted:

Would Midoriya like Bebop or Champloo more?

He wouldn't be able to commit and would talk, in depth, about the merits of each and their production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
As a manga reader, I'm deeply disappointed that Deku's Shoe didn't receive a single vote.

• Locked thread