Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

deku running up and talking about the power of friendship felt really weird to me. it didn't seem like something an actual person would say at all. why did deku feel like he had to justify his own motivations to someone else? it felt like a speech that was there just so the audience would be reminded that deku's the one they're supposed to be rooting for

also icyhot briefly mentioning that his mother poured boiling water on his face as a kid was pretty nuts. it makes me wonder why he hates his dad instead of his mom.

i mean his dad is a eugenics rear end in a top hat, but like, compared to being disfigured for life? that's the parent who's powers you want to use exclusively? i don't want to get too critical of icyhot when i don't really have complete knowledge of his motivations (again, his mother was only mentioned for like 5 seconds), but right now it looks kinda silly.

overall i'm enjoying the show. other than the 2-4 minute recaps at the beginning of every episode, i'm not so sure that the team assembling phase of the cavalry battle should've gotten basically an entire episode all to itself, but otherwise the pacing is pretty fine to me. the action has been pretty good, and there's been some pretty cool creative use of super powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i don't think anyone is saying it is, i think the point is that todoroki's mom, was kind of hosed up, by his dad, and that is why he actively despises her less

horrible physical and mental trauma can kind of gently caress up a person and make them do hosed up things and that doesn't make them as bad as people who choose to do horribly hosed up things just because they're sick, twisted human beings

they're literally quoting someone who's saying "his mother is not a horrible person," which i think could certainly be argued is not true, given the information in this thread.

"his father is a worse person," on the other hand, certainly sounds like a much less tenable position

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

latest episode was alright. i was sad that mind control kid wasn't given that great a showing. it's also too bad that spiderman got curbstomped like that, but icyhot was eugenics'd into having incredible power, so it makes sense that against a more low-key power he wins pretty handily.

between bakugo, icyhot, mindcontrol, and shadow-jojo, this show sure does love its "this character could be sasuke, but isn't" thing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there is a difference between being a good person and being a sympathetic person

you can be sympathetic to a person's plight, and also still say "they have done a terrible thing, and are therefore a terrible person," despite understanding and sympathizing with the reason they did it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't think being a hurt human being who needs help and being a horrible person are mutually exclusive. in fact, i think the two might go together often.

i think that people should be judged by their actions, and while circumstances might make some actions more sympathetic and understandable, that doesn't make them ok or excused.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Aurora posted:

What even are you saying by this, it looks really awful to say that "being a victim and being a horrible person go hand in hand"

i'm saying that many bad people had awful things done to them?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

This is why Internet nerds get wedgies

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

bakugo is actually: the best character, and i hope he gets to spend even more time being angry and also an arsehole

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I want bakugo to win. He's the underdog quirk-wise but he's a pretty exceptional fighter. He figured out dark shadow's weakness, and clearly did a lot of thinking during his other two tourney fights. I think it's really cool that on the surface his fighting style looks like he's just a thug, but he's actually pretty smart and is really good at using his quirk's versatility, as well as its raw power, to his advantage.

Icy hot will probably win by virtue of bakugo's character arc being "you're good but not the best" and icyhot's arc being "you're the best because of eugenics and rape, but that doesn't mean you can't still be the best because those things aren't your fault." It makes a lot more thematic sense. But I find bakugo more entertaining and it's hard not to root for the underdog so I hope he wins anyway.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

My understanding is that it was hinted at that the nomus are being made by one of all might's predecessors, since that's the only known power that can transfer a quirk at all.

I thought it was hinted to be the same person who injured all might too, but I'm not very sure on that.

In any case my theory contradicts your theory about one for all

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Aizawa has a prehensile scarf or some poo poo, while stain has a million knives

It's an interesting matchup

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I want to see the mind control guy again

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Where do I find a spoiler that tells me how far away more shinso is and literally nothing else

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the frog post-vomit shot was the only thing i honestly even really noticed, but also "it's meant for teens" doesn't make sexualizing teens ok

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I care about froppy basically not at all and so I'm pretty OK with the show also not caring about her

I want to see more alien queen

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Mineta's power is cool and I really like it when he Does Things with it because it really demands creativity to be effective

Everything else about him kinda blows though

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

bakugo is my favorite character

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Comparing bakugo to endeavor makes sense in some ways, but also I dunno why you'd tell people who don't like him because of how hot headed he is "you should like him for the same reason you like the guy who is basically a rapist"

I don't get the feeling that people who don't like bakugo would like endeavor.

Bakugo owns though, because characters who are imperfect > goody two shoes and also rage is an entertaining emotion to see in motion

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I really like how bakugo is determined to not learn anything about how his blind rage isn't the best way to do things, but when it comes to combat he's incredibly perceptive. The way that things that look like he's just lashing out (the barrage of small explosions, several of his fights in the sports festivals) are actually him testing his opponent's reactions and gathering information so he can figure out their weaknesses is really cool.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

If bakugo were in endeavor's position he'd probably just keep trying to upstage all might, and never give up like endeavor did.

"What if your kid upstaged all might" seems like the kind of thing he'd say "I don't want a half assed victory like that" to

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Bakugo wouldn't join the league of villains because that'd mean he's admitting that he can't cut it on his own. Bakugo turning villain would be more of a loner like stain, if anything

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Controversial opinion: I'm actually not super fond of icy hot

When his back story was getting dived into I enjoyed it, but I can't say he's been a terribly interesting character outside of that. I hope he gets some more focus in the new season so he's not as dull

Also controversial opinion: I like bakugo a lot

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

mineta's power is really cool and i like it a lot and i want to see him win more fights

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Reinanigans posted:

Actually, X-Men Evolution was garbage. Nightcrawler had no trace of his piousness, Rogue was an angsty goth instead of a headstrong southern belle, Storm might as well have not existed, and it introduced the horrible xxx-treeeeeme character of Spyke. poo poo sucked rear end.

this does not sound like anything worth caring about if i'm being honest

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Honestly, it depends on your tastes. Anime covers a lot of genres. What books/movies/comics do you like?

Yeah this is pretty important. It's a little like asking "give me some good intro shows for American television," it's a really broad range of stuff. I can think of some really grim and dark animes that I both love dearly and also think would be good for someone who otherwise hasn't seen much anime, but obviously if you're not into dark stories then that won't be terribly good for you.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

MHA is like a B+ choice of introductory anime. It's a good choice, but there's others that are probably universally better for a newcomer

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's really interesting to hear that cowboy bebop wasn't what you expected out of anime

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I don't read the chat thread, but I am interested in this. If it got its own thread that would be super cool imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Mineta's power is interesting and when he has to do something, demands clever utilization that's fun to watch

Mineta's personality is weird and creepy

• Locked thread