Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Bakugou is the best character in My Hero Academia, so he deserves to win.

It's Iida though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tournament's own which is why the superior shonen genre of Sports is entirely tournaments with the occasional training arc.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

While the Sports Festival is considered to be the weakest (but still good) arc, what's coming next is some grade-A stuff.

I wonder if we're gonna get a new OP for the new arc or whether they'll wait til the cour break.

Are you talking just about the arcs likely being adapted this season or from the whole series? Cause i'd say there's definitely some weaker stuff.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bakugo's ok but he's a huge goddamn rear end in a top hat who one time got so mad he was basically using lethal force against a peer and he didn't really get punished for it.

Also the school should really consider giving him anger management classes. He needs them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I dunno if i'd say he has a massive respect for people's abilities or anything but he takes things seriously. If the person he's fighting treats it just as seriously he'll respect that (unless it's Deku). Which is a big reason he explodes at Todoroki because the guy wasn't fighting seriously he was holding back. Which when combined with the fact he fought seriously against Deku of all people means Bakugo snapped.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Surprisingly Vigilantes has stuff that is kinda relevant to this arc. There was a whole chapter basically about Iida's brother and you learn more about him in it than in the series proper, and there's a couple of other sorta significant connections to the things happening in the show now as well. Even if its set years earlier.

There's only a few chapters of it so giving it a read after this arc is done probably isn't the worst idea.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Stain's a crazy serial killer who thinks Shigaraki deserved to live more than a lot of seemingly decent folk including children.

He's utterly terrible and a huge goddamn hypocrite, but he does have conviction. And he does value All Might as like the ideal hero, and much like every character in the series Midoriya reminds him of All Might.

Anyway Stain sucks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Stain's ideology is pretty obvious, if you do your heroing to save and help others and not for money you're good in his book, otherwise why the rant about "money worshipers" after he came back to Hosu? Ingenium is part of a long standing hero family, a family who has made their livelihood by being pro heroes, they are exactly the sort of people that Stain would target, part of the old guard, protecting a society that Stain sees as corrupt.

lol, no, he did not think Shigaraki deserved to live, he thought he could use him to further his goals and then get rid of him afterwards.

He talks about how he's interested in seeing Shigaraki's conviction, that he wants to see how he'll grow and develop a creed. Then he'll decide whether to kill him afterwards based on that. It has nothing to do with Shigaraki being useful to his goals (Shiggy's the one who wants to use Stain until he decides he hates him too much), he mentions how although they both want to trash society they're complete opposites and the type of person he hates more than anyone. But even so Stain values Shigaraki's half-formed creed, and lets him live based on that.

Anyway, it seems that to Stain if your philosophy as a hero meets his standards he won't kill you but it doesn't seem Stain actually researches the people he attacks or try to understand what they value or believe in. Because from everything we've seen of Tensei he's a sincerely good person. He's basically to Iida what All Might is to Deku, and a great role model to him. Stain has his convictions and his creed but he just judges people based on his own warped perceptions. He's insane.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Stain seems pretty aware that he's a villain who should be defeated by a hero, even if he thinks what he's doing is right. But he's crazy so that probably doesn't register as a contradiction to him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I dont really think Iida's problem is how he wants to be like his brother. That's like saying Deku wanting to be a hero like All Might is a major flaw. When Todoroki saves him he does that whole "set your eyes on the hero you want to be" thing and Iida remembers his "Ingenium, that's the name of the hero who will defeat you" spiel and that's treated as the moment where Iida starts resolving his issues. Because he wasn't acting like his brother he was lying to his friends, ignoring people in trouble and fighting for a selfish reason. That's not like Ingenium, that's not even like a hero.

Thankfully he recognises this and when he gets back in the fight he's not just fighting for revenge he's fighting for his friends too. He takes a knife to the arm for Todoroki and everything. He's acting like a hero again, like the brother he admires and that's a positive thing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

MHA is cool cause it goes the way of early Naruto where everyone gets some screentime to strut their stuff but then there's Sugar Boy and Rock Face Boy who i sincerely do not know the full names of off the top of my head.

Not that it's Horikoshi's fault, 20 students is a lot even when you cull it down to the five main characters, but it feels bad when even like Sero and his goofy Tape From Elbows Quirk gets to look cool where Shoji and Rock Head are just, haaaanging out.

Sorry it sounds like im complaining itt, I just wanna see all my kids get to play in the big soccer game

Shouji got to do something in the cavalry battle I think.

Anyway not every member of the class needs focus imo. I'm cool with Sugar Man just being another head in the crowd.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Make a spinoff called B-Side focusing on Class B.

:yeah:

My friends in class B are real cool and good and they should get more stuff to do. They probably don't even need to join Class A to do it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Davinci posted:

Transfer deku into class b instead of swapping class b dudes into class a

This would probably be more effective at getting them screentime because Sugar Man is proof that being in Class A doesn't automatically give you focus.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Monoma is correct in all things

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MHA is better than many of its contemporaries about fanservice but it's also worse than some of its contemporaries about it too. So I don't know if comparing it to other jump series is the best argument.

The series is in WSJ where fanservice is common so it's not much of a surprise it has some but that doesn't stop it from being pretty lame. Especially since Momo isn't even the first character with a quirk that makes them wear a sexy costume for the readers to look at.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kild posted:

She's the emotional center/support for the whole class.

Is she? I mean Tsuyu's a fine character and all but there's not really enough screentime for her to really have that important a presence in the class. The same goes for most characters though.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think it's more fans clamping on to those characters and desperately pretending it's because they are deep characters.

I don't think anyone thinks Mt Lady is super deep or complex or anything. They just think she's got a nice concept and is fairly enjoyable which is all you need for a bit character that doesn't really have any role whatsoever in the story.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

At the point in the manga this episode covered I liked Bakugo fine but a lot of other people's views of him kinda soured how I saw the guy. I thought of him as entertaining but like a really lovely person and the general impression I got from a lot of other readers was that they considered him a bully with rough edges but deep down a sincere and good hero, but I didn't get that from him at all and I think it kinda made me appreciate him a little less.

I like him a lot more now though but until some later arcs I always found Bakugou easy to like and enjoy because he can be really entertaining, but kinda difficult to like as a character within the universe of MHA because he's just sorta awful and not a good person a lot of the time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

To MHA's credit though he is very clearly viewed like that by the other student's too.

Except by my boy Kirishima who is just too good and pure.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

kirishima would like shigaraki i swear

i really like that there's groups of friends naturally forming amongst the general good spirits of the class. like kirishima, sero and kaminari and recutantly bakugo formed a group of pals parallel to deku, ochako, iida and now todoroki. super similar to my small highschool where there were "cliques", anyone would get alone and joke well with anyone else

I think actual murderer and villain might be too far for even my good friend Kirishima. I don't even think other murderers and villains could like Shigaraki because he is terrible. Except me, I like Shigaraki.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am saying Shigaraki's kill count is higher than it is because I bet he wishes he had killed more and I don't want to remind him that it's still at 0.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If only Stain had tried to illustrate his point through means other than the murder or attempted murder of legitimately decent and heroic people and also children. If only.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

He did he started as a street preacher. Then he became a vigilante then a villain.

It would've been neat to see any of that or get flashbacks or something, because all we get from him is just him being extremely terrible.

E:

Kaubocks posted:

stain did nothing wrong

edit: i think i made this exact post earlier in the thread but i really want to make sure everyone knows where my allegiances lie

He tried to kill my best friend Iida and permanently maimed his cool brother so I will have to disagree.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

We see him briefly as a Street Preacher in the video Giran showed off back in the Aftermath of Stain Episode. It's still on him that he felt that the solution to no one listening to him was murder.

Must have completely missed that then. Glad even a brief bit was shown though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bakugou's quirk is just the ability to make explosions and Momo can do that and more. She legitimately has one of the most powerful quirks in the class.

E: And I mean powerful as in strong and can be used to beat up the bad guys. Not just powerful as in "holy poo poo, her power has so many versatile uses and would be incredibly effective in a huge variety of situations'.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Most characters in MHA are cute and good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Attestant posted:

WHY IS EVERYONE YELLING :byodood:

That's what heroes do.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Toga is a good barometer for you to tell if someone's low-key into vore by how much they draw her. Her mouth gets a lot of details.

Thanks i've always been wondering how to gauge that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think Shigaraki needs 1 minute of continuous contact. Just that after the fingers touch you will be disentigrated within a minute. And he's a dude that can keep up with Aizawa so he can probably survive until whoever he's fighting is dead.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nephthys posted:

He only disintegrated the skin of Aizawa's elbow though. I probably am underestimating him but from what I've seen Midoriya had a good chance of being able to elbow a crator in his chest.

I do think Midoriya did the right thing in not trying anything but I feel like if Shigaraki decided to kill him he had a fighting chance.

Can't Aizawa cancel the affect though? Most can't stop it once it gets going.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think Anime watchers can also appreciate Aizawa Might, main character Kendou, and evil Mineta imo.

Only a couple of parts of the picture reference stuff the anime hasn't gotten to and nothing really spoilery.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Not really. He's a very typical American superhero protagonist. A shy nerd like Deku is almost the opposite of characters like Naruto and Luffy.

So you’re saying he’s gohan.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Gohan is basically Bruce Banner. Deku is more like Peter Parker.

I don’t really see that at all tbh. Beyond really general stuff like Deku’s a high school student with superpowers or Gohan gets stronger when he’s mad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Deku as Peter Parker would fit better if he had good banter. Still, great power, great responsibility, etc. etc. etc.

I guess, but unlike Spidey Deku doesn’t really need to learn that lesson. He’s already showing great responsibility before he has any power. From chapter 1 he’s already the most heroic person in the story next to All Might. It’s why All Might made him his apprentice in the first place.

There’s certainly some similarities there and all but I can’t really see Deku as being modelled after or directly inspired by like western Superhero archetypes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Minor arguably-canon Vigilantes manga spoiler: All Might's got such a problem with spending every possible moment hero-ing that he does the 'make an excuse to leave and go be a superhero' thing multiple times in a single business meeting.

And he got a best friend out of it! :3:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

I honestly feel like Shigaraki getting ONLY one is weirder. people love this weird psuedo bishonen

They do!?

I mean I do and he might be my favourite but I didn't realise he was noticeably popular. I mean clearly not popular enough to get more than one vote, but popular enough that some find it very weird he didn't get more than one vote.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'd definitely consider Stain a cool villain, but i'm not sure Shigaraki measures up. Even though he is way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kirishima definitely likes all of them. Get the gently caress outta here with that poo poo.

• Locked thread