Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

GigaPeon posted:

These casters are doing alright at casting a stupid idea for an esport, but lol at the lady screaming at whoever is controlling the camera to change it from two guys bobbing in the water while the kill feed is scrolling by like crazy.

Yeah, the woman commentating is brilliant and generally catches all the little details, the man commentating is always 3 seconds behind and the cameraman might as well be one of those drinking birds. They really need to hire some proper observers if they want to run tournaments in the future.

Someone from the org also gave the dumbest explanation ever: Apparently it takes around 4 seconds to fully load high-res textures when switching to a new target when observing via the ingame client, which is why all switches generally happen with a 4 second delay. Even if that's a technical limitation with the ingame observation, why do they not just use the ingame obs function for map and birds eye views and get streams directly from each player computer, seeing as every player is on an event-built computer anyway. It's complete amateur hour. Unclear where all the money from the scam boxes went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

underage at the vape shop posted:

streams yesterday were from the individual computers, you could see when someone had the super saturated reshade filter

That's the excuse they gave for the abject camerawork anyway.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Okay but all the proposals involve potentially giving the win someone who did not win any games. In some of them, even someone who won twice could potentially lose the tournament. I think that's bad.

This is a stupid post because the retail game that all us idiots play also uses kills for ratings, side-by-side with placements out of 100. The tournament rules ended up making kills worth LESS than they are in standard live games, which lead to the problem of camping.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I'd really like a Battle Royale style game in ARMA but then ported over to a similar engine as a standalone game with less of the ARMA jankyness.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Dryb posted:

You mean like PUBG?

Yep, that was the joke :)

To me, PUBG is the perfect iteration of the genre.

Groovelord Neato posted:

he said without the jankiness.

PUBG is basically jank-free compared to ARMA, especially ARMA II. A lot of the "jankiness" in PUBG is essentially on purpose. Things like different turning times based on weapons and acceleration/deceleration on movement is inspired by ARMA and intended to be pseudorealistic, but when you come from games like CS:GO and others, where you can change direction mid-air and turn on a penny in a heartbeat, it feels like jank.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

(None of these were afk)

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

SMG-talk: The Vector is the only SMG that has potential BiS status outside of the usual early game rush to pick up any old gun.

Sure, the Uzi is good early, but there's nothing it can do that other guns can't do better. The UMP is just a low-rent assault rifle assuming you get a couple kills in a round and manage to snag a compensator for your AR.

The Vector, however, has the highest DPS of any non-box gun and, with attachments, is insanely accurate up to ~50 meters, even on full spray.

Once you reach an Elo where people don't sit stil when they have helmet 1/2s, the Kar98 falls off in usefulness quite dramatically. As a result, as I've said before, my favourite setup, assuming I can find attachments, is Vektor + M16/SKS with 4x scope.

Trying to catch lateral runners with bolt-action snipers is a trap. Anywhere under ~500 meters, you're better off with an M16 +4x and just using the first couple bullets to hone in. The advantage of the Vektor/M16 setup is also that the high requirements of the Vektor as far as attachments goes is balanced nicely by the low requirements of the M16. The thing doesn't even really need a compensator! The 23 kill game I posted earlier was with Vektor/M16 for most of the game, until eventually I ran out of Vektor bullets and had to switch spray gun.

E: Here's a tip that will improve your results with the M16 massively: Shoot faster. Literally. A friend of mine was firing ~2 shots per second with it and not getting many kills, so I told him to just do everything the same except clicking at least twice as fast, and he started wrecking people mid-range. The rifle has so little recoil, you really need to be spamming shots.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

A lot of people die in the blue because people get locked into battles of mutually assured deaths as the circle is coming in.

It's prisoner's dilemma but everyone involved is a narcisistic sociopath

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Arven posted:

Nah, I'm not in open fields. It usually happens when I'm cresting a hill or running between trees on a hillside. I believe people can be that good, I just thought it was bizarre because it seems I only run into them in solo games, not group matches.

The reason you get random-sniped a lot more in solo games is that the reward for long range potshots is much higher in solo games than in squad games. If you land a random Kar98 headshot on someone in a forest a thousand miles away in a squad game, he'll crawl into cover and get rezzed. If you do it in a solo game, he's gone and there's one less person for you to worry about. I take a lot more speculative shots in solos than in squad games.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

I was bored, so I made something that everyone secretly wanted.

Great. Where is it?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I've stopped calling out targets for my team if I have the Mini-14 because it's easier to just shoot them all. I held off 3 team all trying to cross the same road in turn to get into the second to last zone yesterday. Finished that dinner with 11 kills after sitting on 2 up until that point.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Bhodi posted:

How do you even hear footsteps in all that audio mess? No wonder why I'm so bad at this game

Some people use the Loudness Equalisation setting in Windows which is like turning on that Batman sonar from TDK

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Rex-Goliath posted:

• you're probably overcompensating.
  • you can single tap way faster than you think.

These are definitely the two most important things that literally everyone does wrong. All my friends have done or do these things and I average around 50% of our kills in 4-man squad games.

E: Also, learning these two things go hand-in-hand with the Mini-14, which is firmly the best gun in the game, crate drop or otherwise

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

I'm the idiot with only 8gb who claims to not have any trouble with this game. But don't listen to this because I'm itching to upgrade anyways.
I have 8 gb ram and I did this so it can't be all bad really:

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

drat, this guy won a game. Clearly 8gb must be ideal.

Lol chill. I was just responding to the people saying 8 gb was unplayable, when it very clearly isn't if the rest of your system is decent and you've done what you can to optimize. I figured one win with 23 kills was stronger anecdotal evidence than me just posting my last 20 wins or whatever.

As for the sensitivity discussion: What you can do if you dislike going low sens (which is the ultimately correct answer, obviously), is to have your aiming/scoping sensitivities much lower than your free-look sensitivity. I keep mine at nearly half of my free-lock sensitivity, which means I can spin around quite quickly while not aiming, but can still shoot accurately when aiming. Having different sens settings for different modes of aiming takes getting used to, but I feel it's the best solution.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

willroc7 posted:

Did I get desynced here or was i simply shot in the arse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuIbjkBrnyU

This looks firmly like an arseshooting

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

amotea posted:

No don't I need the price of my gamescom chests to skyrocket

They're at $5 now and rising. I'm glad I held on to 13 of them.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

My friends and I played a game yesterday that featured the luckiest circles I've ever had. We started in Yasnaya and the first circle was around Mylta/Prison, so Yasnaya was just about out. We got in a car and drove to the tiny compound with a blue house and a shed located just north-east of the big blue warehouse near Prison, and took up residence there. It's quite an easy place to hold, both in first and third person (this was FPP). It's got walls in appropriate heights on all four sides but with spaces to shoot out, and it has relatively clear view of incoming enemies from every angle.

So, we holed up there about 8-10 minutes into the round, expecting to be able to camp out there for a circle or two. 20 minutes later, I take one step out of the compound for the first time since entering, to shoot the last guy trying to approach our tiny fortress of death. In those 20 minutes I got 10 kills off people trying to get in/near, and infinite supplies off those guys. We were short a proper sniper rifler, but at one point, the plane dropped a crate with an M24 inside the walls of the compound, where it snuggly fit between the wall and the solitary little house.

I was embarrassed to win that round, to be honest.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I kind of imagine it's the opposite, that it's popular despite of and not because of the realistic physics. It's not like there's a glut of arcadey battle royale clones out there to pick from, there's just the one. I would be surprised if the arma legacy has much pull by the time the community "settles" on a battle royale game.

I think you're wrong. H1Z1 is more arcadey than PUBG and much less popular, even though it's existed for longer.

I played all the original ARMA 2 and 3 iterations of BR and many people playing those felt H1Z1 was much too arcadey, and so stuck with them, despite all the obstacles of playing an ARMA mod.

Optimizations definitely need to happen, but there is definitely, 100%, also some "jank" that is intended in the form of inertia, both as far as character movement and weapon movement in close quarters go.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Xenaero posted:

Weird argument to make since they just whipped this title up and it became the #1 most played game on the PC.

On Steam. Other games are still played more, at least League of Legends.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

Please make Nevermore-esque healing in the blue montages.

With lens glare and zoom effects and set to Linkin Park or Sum41

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

My squad and I all run barefoot and I can instantly hear when a stranger enters my building, which is nice

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

We're gonna have to stop counting EU stats soon...

Tbf I get the same dumb numbers when I do an NA game for the first time, two weeks into a season. If you switch region more than a week after a season reset, you're basically guaranteed to be matched with 99 absolute monkeys no matter which region you choose

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

ded posted:

HELLO! AND WELCOME TO MOVIEPHONE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VGVRX2sqy8

Kind of a cool death effect from driving with the horn blasting.

This was painful to watch.

- Lower your sensitivity, probably
- Don't use burst on the M16 for targets far away
- Don't switch a grey helmet 2 for a a white helmet 2, what the hell
- When you finished the downed guy on the right, you were incredibly lucky not to headshot him from that angle, ruining his helmet 3. Shoot knocked dudes in the butt if you have time and ammo, so you don't ruin their armor!
- Turn your camera in 3pp to look around corners, because otherwise, what's the point.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Le0 posted:

Just started playing this having fun but I'm sometimes confused on which weapon to keep or throw away.
Anyone give some pointers please?

Try to focus on having one short-range and one long-range weapon.

Most ARs can sort of function as both. UMPs are terrible, don't use them. They have half the DPS of ARs and Vektors. All the 5.56 rifles are good, most for both short & long range, depending on your scopes. The AKM is a bit poo poo unless you have a compensator and use it for close range.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

White Noise Marine posted:

Everything you have said about this game is suspect due to that statement. UMPs are great, especially when you get it suppressed.

Name DPS
Groza 600.00125
M249 586.6666667
Vector 563.6363636
AKM 480
M416 476.7442415
UZI 479.1666667
Scar-L 427.0822917
Tommy Gun 441.8604651
UMP9 380.4358696

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

tote up a bags posted:

is it ok to post replays that we are v proud of and will show to our kids one day? https://www.twitch.tv/videos/203654653

It's pretty funny that they basically put a hitscan weapon in an ARMA clone.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

What the gently caress is wrong with you people not picking up AWMs. It is gamechangingly strong in a way that no other box gun is.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Combine boosts into one figure (as presumably med kits and first aid kits are) and just list it as X / X. It'll be a bit harder to understand for new players but clearer and cleaner once you realize what it means.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I feel like the new map favours shooting ability more than tactics, at least relative to Erangel. There's a lot less hiding and a lot more straight shoot-outs, especially over ridges where essentially only headshots are possible. Flanks are definitely still possible, but you expose yourself so much from other sides by doing it, since there's no cover anywhere on the hillsides

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Jarmak posted:

I used to love the vector until i realized the ump did significantly more damage per shot and switched and never went back.

The Vektor does massively more DPS man. I always pick up the Vektor and never the UMP.

E: DPS of non-box guns:
Vector 563
AKM 480
M416 476
UZI 479
Scar-L 427
Tommy Gun 441
UMP9 380

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Tbf the rubber banding has pretty much been unique to test prior to Myanmar being released too

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

quote:

Erangel and Miramar - both maps are now playable
Which map is played will be selected randomly when a match begins

Hoo boy this is going to lead to a lot of queue dodges

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

abigserve posted:

I been tweeting at 'em as well. I actually can't believe no one else is kickin up poo poo about this, there aint a post on reddit about it even, I played four more squad games tonight and, welp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvsu6Ev0B3g

it's actually unplayable right now. Maybe it's just the mode, or our rank, or something?

Play first person instead, there's fewer cheaters. Or go on test, where there seems to be fewer cheaters too.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

There is some resemblance of basic match-making for sure, which is why I can jump on Asia and NA a week after every reset and log a 20 kill game without breaking a sweat. It does seem to heavily favour speed over tight MMR groupings though.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Odobenidae posted:

I hereby refuse to refer to the maps by their Tolkien-esque given names. They are Russia and Mexico.

Lagmap and Myanmar

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

e.pilot posted:

Is this the only pubg thread or is there a disgusting console xbone thread?

kill youre self

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Bad news friends: PU's BR for ARMA 2 was the Ultimate Online and BR for Arma 3 was the Everquest. PUBG is the WoW of battle royales.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Le0 posted:

I will check about my sensitivity, I know my DPI is 400. So basically you set all of your sense to the same value? For general, targeting, scope 4x etc...?
Also test build 1.0 patch notes up : http://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/3066253941346037760

I keep my look-around sens higher than all my aiming sensitivities, currently at a ratio of around 3:2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Anyone tried playing the PC version with an Xbox controller? I couch game on my PC and apparently 1.0 added support but I'd like to hear from goons who have tried it. Does it have aim assist?

kill youre self

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread