Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

Harminoff posted:

Anyone playing yet and can comment on the new circle speeds?

Feels less busy towards the end. Good improvement imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Because my squadmates died, I decided to do something completely ridiculous and found a great tactic for those zones ending near the beach.

1: Find a boat
2: Park boat near the beach
3: Float behind boat so you can't be shot from the beach
4: Wait until the zone is very tiny, then dive under the boat and beach yourself like the fat whale you are
5: Shoot at unsuspecting players because who the gently caress spends all this time in the water
6: ???

For bonus hilarity points, you can also jump in the boat as a passenger and fire at people, but that tends to draw a bit of attention.
Got my squad alone from 78 players still alive to until 2 teams remained, me and 3 guys on the other team. Did not win, but will definitely try this again if conditions are suitable.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

I feel like squads are 90% about someone having an idea and calling the shots and 10% execution. People playing this game have the most absurd ideas on how to approach the end zones.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Man, Buane your game looks just like mine. Except I was playing squads and my 2 teammates died and left me to fend myself with 80 alive. I murdered the entire squad of 4 that had killed them, looted an m4 and a silencer, drove to the absolute middle of the whitezone and hid in a bush in the middle of a wheat field.

Then I proceeded to narrate how this is what we do in the special forces, while nothing happened for like 15 minutes. When the zone closed in, I just kept dropping people who wandered in paying no attention to murderbush. Then I crawled around the zone until the last members of the last remaining squads started shooting one another, one killed the other and promptly died into the zone, leaving me (and my squad) as the winners.

What I'm saying is, don't give up if you're alone in squads. Just be a field, or a bush.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Maw posted:

Oh boy I guess I'll be getting and playing this

Welcome. As you can see from the posts after yours, you'll fit in nicely.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Can I just get a drat PSO-1 scope instead of whatever garbage we currently have.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

After trying like 10 times, I finally managed to capture the fabled solo squad win.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

tehinternet posted:

Cyanidewolf is good as gently caress and surprisingly un-autistic. 10/10 teammate and super cool dude.

The only thing limiting his kills is being able to find people quickly enough.

I am thankful of these nice words (and to Gramps too) because this morning I was hella bad and kinda felt bad letting my squad down like that :(

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

I did a solo squad again, but this time I recorded it. It's got everything you can expect from a PUBG video. A shameful AFK kill, terrible driving, a loot crate and 27 minutes of sitting in a house followed by 5 minutes of something resembling action all spiced with some godawful aiming. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJvzxJvNkAs

(8 out of 9 kills happen in the last 6 minutes)

cyanidewolf fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 10, 2017

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Bardeh posted:

Yeah, they for sure fiddled with something in this latest patch because it has seemed to make things much worse overall. The weird thing is that some games are fine, some are complete shitshows. Also, on the whole the Asian servers are running really well for me now, but NA is horrible a lot of the time. The player count hasn't gone up appreciably since the patch, and they use AWS anyway which scales based on demand, so I wonder what causes it to be so variable from game to game?

This patch also introduced some weird pop-up for me that throws me to the desktop in the first match I play after starting the game. I'm suspecting it's got something to do with BattleEye. Dunno if I'm the only one with this particular issue, though.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

BattlEye will open up a separate dialog box with whatever it's blocking noted, but that's before the game actually loads that it'll come up so that shouldn't be the problem. There should also still be a dialog box unless you manually exit out of it.

Yeah, can't find any BE related logs either. It's just a mild annoyance in the first 5 minutes of the first game after starting PUBG. I guess I'll just hope they patch it out or something :(

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

There's actually two ways to get credited with a kill when you DBNO someone.

In order of priority they should be:

1) Kill their drat squad
2) Kill them

If, for some reason, you can't do 1, then do 2. Your squad has the same options, and if they do 2 and you get mad, then re-evaluate your life choices. Also, if you care who loots a body.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Ok guys we're doing scheduled snaking practice on the discord every day at 20:00 CST. Please check the Doodle link in the OP to sign up for these practice sessions.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

I hope they add realistic skiing in the loudest map of all time, the snow map.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

How loud is snow?

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

chesnok posted:

Does anyone else notice a real average player skill difference between EU and all the other servers? Every time I play on NA, AS or OC, it's like a turkey shoot, easy top5 or even a chicked dinner. But on EU it's like you're the turkey - you get lit up from multiple angles the second you leave cover. Dropping in hot contested areas like school or military base is essentially suicide.

Is your rank the same in each region?

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

amotea posted:

It's absolutely crazy how good Grimmmmmmmmzzzz is.

Best thing about him is that he plays the right way. Land in action, fight always. If you die, go again.

The only rating that matters is kill rating, every other rating is for campers who play wrong!

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Broose posted:

So when are they going to add in a game mode where you kill for cans of beans? The one with the most beans win.

edit: Also, can someone explain to me the boost bar and its mechanics like I was a little child? I can't find anything about it on the wiki.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OZIEDHZBk8

That guy, I guess.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

I'm not accusing grimmz of cheating. I just assume he's on another level than me. I know he is, but watching him is weird. It's almost like he's receiving information the viewer can't see. I watch ninja or other streamers and it's not as jarring. I want to watch more now that I'm more comfortable with the game, but that would mean I'd have to not queue up.

He is. You can't see half the things a streamer sees because of the potato quality of the broadcast.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Carebearz posted:

do you have any solid proof he's cheating or are you just speculating?

What. It was a 1440p to 720p non-joke.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Only missing out on a pistol suppressor!

This was all from one run of the school; just to show that the RNG is indeed random and that you should never assume any of the loot probabilities changes just because you went a few matches encountering more or less of an item than you expected.

Loot goblin spotted!

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Crell posted:

Our very own Linstar teaching Cyanidewolf how to control a motorcycle!

https://clips.twitch.tv/SmellyIronicNigiriGOWSkull

I refuse to feel bad about that!

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Linstar posted:

Please watch, follow, like, subscribe, and donate your life savings for more helpful tips!

What needs to be donated to you is an avatar (star with eyes) and also name change to lowercase.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

This linstar guy.

https://clips.twitch.tv/PowerfulHandsomeHornetSuperVinlin

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

the REAL GRAND MASTER evermore has ousted the whiny baby from the championship pedestal.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

moush posted:

Having different rules for esports than the normal game isn't going to help viewership either.

Like disabling the redzone?

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

I don't know what ELO you're referring to, but going SMG/AR over AR/Sniper is a dumb idea unless it's duos/squads where someone else brings the snipers. If you need to fight CQC, just flip the M16 on burst.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

The M16 is the best sniper rifle in the game. Also, never shoot a sniper rifle at anyone who's moving, its useless. I hope this helps.

But wait until you reach the ELO where everyone is only allowed to use sickles.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's Elo you tardo.

Look at this scrub still in the Elo, maybe once you get good you can get to the ELO bracket.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

fargom posted:

But is the sniper a better choice than a rifle at 200m against a moving target? I'd much rather have the M16 4x scope to take shot after shot, and walk them into the target. Maybe I'm just bad but I've stopped picking up snipers 100%

But if you were running an AR and a sniper, this comparison would be irrelevant. What you should be doing is comparing a sniper against an SMG or a shotgun. Which of those provides an option (ranged OHK) that is not available for any other weapon?

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Close OHK is an option available to shotguns and not other weapons. Snipers let you kill people far away, that's what they're good for. ARs also let you kill people far away, that's what they're good for. The AK is nice up close but probably not as nice as a shotgun.

This is true. If you play so that you end up in shotgun range more than in sniper range, then you should run with AR/shotgun.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Well, even if you're in sniper range way more often than shotgun range, you already have a gun that's Pretty Good at that range. Having something covering a truly distinct range instead of "long range but a little better" may well be worthwhile even if it only comes up 1 in 10 games. I have plenty of shotgun kills in the top 10 - they're pretty nice for those times you manage to sneak close to someone even if it doesn't come up that often.

Turns out AR is Pretty Good at any range.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Scoss posted:

I'm a bad player and I can't really tell much difference between the rifles (AKM, SCAR, M16, M4) in terms of firing characteristics beyond what firing modes they have.

How do you guys prioritize if you have to choose between them, or which ones do you put scopes on for long-range fights?

M16. For long range fights you put scopes on sniper rifles.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Because it loses at close range to other actual close range weapons?

I would like to see a stream/recording of these games where shotguns are relevant after the first minute. Never encountered it yet.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

Watch any ChocoTaco stream, he rolls AR + shotgun until he finds a sniper, which sometimes is quite a while.

I skimmed through like 10 of his games and he did indeed use a shotgun once after the landing area.

(He did use an AR more often in close range though, really makes you think)

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

There are other close range guns besides shotguns although those are good as well

True, but those aren't better than the m16 on burst.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

fknlo posted:

Already mentioned, but chocotaco loves the double barrel and I've seen him finish plenty of games while still carrying a shotgun. The fact that he'll straight up assault houses that he knows people are in makes them relevant for his play style.

I've finished plenty of games carrying SMGs, very seldom have I used them over an AR however. Sometimes you just can't find a sniper :(

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

One more shotgun anecdote:

If you're playing at a ping disadvantage (EU->NA) or similar, you might notice shotguns (and crossbows/snipers) acting very weirdly. You may see blood-splatter from direct hits, but if another player hits you simultaneously and has better ping, the anti-trade system in place will negate all of your damage and just knock you down instead because you were "slower". Before the system many firefights ended with all the participants dead/downed and apparently this was a bad thing.

The system right now isn't much better however, which is why things that shoot more bullets are better at a ping disadvantage because at least they may clip some of the health off the trade winner unlike things that do a whole bunch of damage all at once.

They should improve the anti-trade to leave the winner at 1hp instead of voiding all of the damage from the other player.

Why do you carry the SMG at all if not for close range encounters? If ARs are the only thing you use why even pick up a secondary? Bad players greatly over estimate ARs and greatly underestimate SMGs and shotguns.

if the only tool you know how to use is a hammer everything looks like a nail

Because it was probably the first gun I picked up, I don't know. I usually carry 5.56 and a 7.62 AR if I can't find a sniper just to diversify the ammo I may pick up from the bodies I loot.

Also bad players. Heh.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

A lot of bad or new players say "I'm not ready to fight I don't have an AR", which is funny. Kitted UMPs/vectors wreck, not just final circles. People popping off with AR's late draw every single persons attention to them.

The dual ammo type thing is something I hear from my trash friend all the time because he can't manage his ammo and runs out, or its just some hypothetical that he thinks will happen but never does. Is managing how many shots you take/have left really a problem for people? I'll ask for a clip here and there from my friends, usually when I find an SKS randomly from a body but I'm never completely hosed on ammo.

Bad players say the darndest things. I guess I need to play more because in 548 hours I've yet to find this magical creature who dominates the mid/late game with an SMG or a shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Lladre posted:

how many of those hours are you watching linstar play on his stream after you get wrecked early in duo's.

Half.

• Locked thread