Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Here's a montage of ridiculous things that happen to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39fD-tZBZhE

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Three-Phase posted:

Your frame rate is easily 5x what I'm getting. :stare:

The other day, I asked you if you had the computer of a poor person, and you stated it you didn't. Today you said you are still running an i7-920, which is like 8 years old. It's time to upgrade, man.

Athanatos posted:

I have a mid to low end PC and the only time I have such a hard time loading is these 2 buildings to the South West of the firing range. I can drop anywhere on the map and be fine, but if I land next to those 2, they are Nintendo 64 buildings for a good 2 minutes.

Trying to climb the solo leaderboard, not going too bad, but man sometimes the loot gods hate me. I made top 3 last night with a level 1 helmet and vest. Even the ones I tried to loot off of dead bodies were awful. Only saw 1 energy drink that entire time. Seems solo crate drops rarely get picked up, so if you see one and it doesn't have red smoke coming out of it, take a chance, you might get something fantastic.

Have you tried verifying your game file integrity?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Someone posted a guide to tweaking your ini's for more FPS. Someone give it a shot and report back.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=889934285

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Paradigmata posted:

Shotguns seem overpowered. I one-shot and getting one-shotted with the S1897 in the chest with Level 3 Armor and Helmet without a headshot. How many pellets does one shot contain?

Its because some of the pellets hit your head. I don't think it will always credit it as a headshot.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

To follow up on what the guy above me just said, if I you hear a car but can't tell which direction it is, just turn one direction about 90 degrees and it should be obvious at this point, then let your teammates know.

As far as being shot at goes, I can almost never hear the snap/whizz so I have to rely on the report alone. Not sure why that is, sometimes I can't tell if I'm being shot at until I see the dirt kick up next to me.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

Thanks. Does right click in the tab inventory not work reliably, drag is better?

Also is melee at all viable? I've charged dudes with pistols and its never worked, even getting the drop on them.

Don't melee during the early game unless you like garbage BS stuff like this to happen.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/131657391

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I had the exact same thoughts as DrDisrespectLive. This game could theoretically be good but rewards the biggest pussies and hiders in the match. You can win a match with 0 kills, that's not great design. The only way to play this game is man-mode. If you get less than 5 kills in a round, you lose.

Maybe go play COD? When I spoke to PU he said he loves that you can hide and "let the idiots kill eachother," so I doubt you'll see any change to that. I mean, you still get plenty of points for kills, so it's not that it doesn't reward you. In fact, I bet if you got 4th place with 4 kills, it would be worth more points than 1st with 0 kills.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

jonathan posted:

Just I stalled this game, I'm having troubles crashing as soon as I get into the pergatory/jump around waiting for game to start area. I've searched Reddit and steam forums and can't find any solution.

Specs are windows 10
GTX 1070 oc'd to 2.1ghz
16gb DDR 3000
I5 7600k oc'd to 4.8ghz

I got it to work without crashing once after a reboot, but that only worked once

Every time it crashes it sends an error report

Maybe bump up your fan speed or lower your OC?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The lag is real. We need ping limits.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/134859354

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

succ posted:

Playerunknown's mod in ARMA became super popular and H1Z1 came out with a game that was similar to DayZ and then later added a battle royale mode to the game that then became super popular. There are tons of issues with H1Z1 from a technical standpoint, tons of hackers, teamers in solo queue, bugs, dsync and lag, and other random stuff. They continue to sell loot crates after pretty much abandoning fixing the game.

Lots of people who are playing PUBG worry about the devs dropping support and not fixing the issues with the game.

I don't know if I'd say BR was super popular. It was popular for an Arma mod, but Arma has always been so inherently inaccessible. But h1 was pretty popular all things considered, I never played it so I can't say much about the ongoing controversy.

Knifegrab posted:

I did that but I still couldn't punch...

Don't crouch.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Bhaal posted:

Really enjoying this even though I was terrible at DayZ.

I think they could benefit from a lot of game mode variations, like:
  • Team mode (server split into 2-3 large groups, each in their own plane that drops off in its own path). Could make for some memorable, narrative-serving moments as you link up with your allies, get caught in skirmishes with them, involuntarily split apart as a result of a firefight gone bad, etc.
  • The first few game zone collapses happens between longer intervals, and/or shed less land. This should elongate the early game, however, the drop rate of items is also strongly reduced so it's far more risky to loot a few buildings and then camp. If you did that you'll likely be under-geared in the late game when things start to get busy. Hopefully this would create more conflicts borne purely from scavenging rather than a bunch of hermit crabs who only dash to another shelter when the game zone updates.
  • Bounties. So you don't over-influence the plane jump, have it activate when the last person touches down, and then update the map so that there's an ACOG crosshair type sprite over the grid your bounty is in, and give them a special nameplate if you spot them. Can do a few more things here to balance it out but if you incentivize enough to get the killing blow on your bounty it should make for a more active landscape. Bounty should probably be a multiplier to your rewards so that people don't just try to die asap after killing their quarry but instead will want to capitalize on it by doing well in the match
  • Pistols only because I'm a sucker for that playstyle now and then.

I think for the most part those are changes that might not take a herculean effort to implement and would add a lot more variety to the game.

I will also echo that these are mostly bad ideas, and don't seem to align with PU's desire to finish the game within 6 months.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

succ posted:

This is what I worry about, exactly what happened with DayZ.

The biggest difference is they're not looking to introduce a ton of new stuff here, in fact we've seen almost all the content with the exception of new clothes and maps probably. They've set reasonable goals to complete, and it's not really a survival game so it shouldn't be subject to Survivial EA hell.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

These are inherent problems with the map being bad, not an issue with the circle system.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I made another one of those awful/amazing videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmwch1W0io4

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

They really need to fix this lag/server dropping issue that has been exacerbated by the newest patch. At least they've acknowledged it, though.

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Sounds right. A lot were complaining how hard, if not impossible, it was to get around Battleye. Does PUBG have global announcements?

No, there's been no transparency on bans that I know of... at least yet.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Crell posted:

I think it shows the armour values in your inventory, so it depends on how damaged the armour is.

I'm not 100% sure how the armor health system works, but if it were between a Level 3 helmet that's severely damaged and a Level 1 helmet, I'd take the level 3. If I'm correct in my assumption, and looking at the chart in the OP, just having the helmet will reduce the damage I take from a headshot, even if it breaks. It simply won't be there for the next one, so in this case, you can survive a single headshot from some of the higher damage rifles where a level 1 wouldn't. A follow up shot, nearly anywhere, would kill you anyway though. However, on the body armor side, you're looking at multiple shots to kill, anyway so I'm unsure of the math there.

To be honest, I think very little is known about the armor system and things like limb damage. I haven't tested any of it out yet, although we've all been hit without our armor/helmet sustaining any damage.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The lag's been a lot worse lately. I've been getting hit a lot way after I'm in cover. Hell, I've even shotgunned people with massive blood splurts and been given no hit points.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Despite the lag, I did win my first solo today. I had two chance meetings with other dudes in the hill south of Pochinki, after I looted power plant. I won both of the close range spam feats by having my my m16 on burst. The second guy gifted me an AR silencer and sniper silencer for the decked out m24 I got from a crate earlier. The circle ended up near the south shore of the main island, so I tucked myself into the rocky area, silenced headshot sniping two guys with the m24 and taking out the unaware last guy with my M16, who was kind enough to prone facing away from me after I shot him twice. Silencers help a lot and I finally was able to get kills with the m24 despite it always feeling wonky to me.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Somehow the unreal engine might be worse.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

There's a difference between being a bit casual and having a camera schema that is completely asymmetrically advantageous and highly encourages and favors camping.

I've played Arma 3 BR in both regular and locked first person and I prefer regular. As long as the third person effects everyone the same, it doesn't matter to me. Sure, you could camp a building, but I still generally avoid that strategy. Even with third person, there are massive blind spots and it's really hard to hear people outside the building who are sneaking up to throw grenades in. On top of that, in most of the houses, the clutter and window layout usually mean if you're lining up a shot on someone, you're exposing yourself to other windows. If the Arma stance system was adopted, though house camping would get substantially stronger.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The circle system as a whole discourages long term camping. I tend to avoid compounds/cities when the circle doesn't force me into them, outside of the looting phase, of course. I'd still continue to do that in first person only servers.

In any case, this argument is getting a little tiresome. Clearly 3rd person will never get taken away, but first person only will be added in the future. Your crusade to convince everyone that first person only is the way to play all video games because a Youtube poster made a video about it is falling on deft ears. I don't think anyone is failing to understand what makes the 3rd person perspective so strong, but as long as it is a level playing field who cares?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

because allowing 3rd person makes really unfun strategies viable hence

I didn't vote in the recent election, but I had no idea you were elected as fun captain. In any case, in Arma 3 BR they had both regular and "hardcore" servers. The regular servers had over 10 times more players, in fact you could only get enough players to start a hardcore match during peak times. So, according to the player base, most consider regular to be more fun. I suspect you'll see a similar situation here, but since there is an overall larger population, you won't have as much issues getting a hardcore server to actually start.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

Yes and if you look at modded servers more people play counter strike in low grav infinite ammo servers/surf servers than comp matchmaking. Doesn't mean comp should turn down the gravity and introduce surf maps though.

I didn't realize that this game was already an eSport. Clearly I'm in the wrong and your opinion is right.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Let's not forget you need third person in order to motivate people to keep playing to unlock totally sick trench coats.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

oo heck thats true i have a purple coat thats worth a whole $2 on steam

Take that the fee that the developer collects off each transaction and multiply that by a million times, and the developer is sitting on a pretty penny. Now you know why 3rd person will be the default option for eternity.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

You guys do know its ok to say "This game is fun by xyz could be better." I guess its easier to just say "sperg" and then dick suck a game which is barely functional in a genre of broken messes.

Battlegrounds is fun but it is so far away from a good/polished/functional game. Its a giant mess and if it were any other genre would be unacceptable. It just so happens being approachable to a playable game surpasses all the other complete poo poo-tier games in the genre.

I mean, you literally couldn't figure out how to punch, then you drew a picture for someone who said they liked third person. I once heard a saying about pots and kettles, but I forgot how it went.

Knifegrab posted:

How do I get back to having punchy fists once I find a weapon of some kind?

Knifegrab posted:

I did that but I still couldn't punch...

Knifegrab posted:

Here I made a helpful drawing for you:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Aranan posted:

Just started playing and I'm awful, but I had an awesome moment where I was holed up in a second story building and someone was up against the wall on the ground floor. I took a running leap off the balcony, landed right next to them, and shot them point blank with a shotgun.

I promptly died a minute later as I took a sprint for the white zone but oh well.

Is there a decent description of the types of guns and attachments somewhere? I don't get a ton of practice with any weapons before I die, so it's hard to get a feel for how the various assault rifles, shotguns, etc compare to each other and what the differences of various attachments are (angled vs vertical grios, red dot vs holo scope, various supressors, etc).

You could just read the OP.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Aranan posted:

That did set me straight on the grips and suppressors, but a lot of stuff still doesn't have any description. I found an attachments list on a PUB wiki, but it has next to no information. http://battlegrounds.gamepedia.com/Attachments

Some of it is obvious (magazines, scopes, it has descriptions for shotgun bullet loops) but others are a little more vague and I haven't been able to mess with them enough in-game to see wtf they do.

What do stocks (sniper rifle cheek pad, micro uzi stock, composite stock for assault rifles, tactical stock for M16) do? Is there a difference between holographic sights and red dot sights other than the visual effect?

Pretty much everything is recoil. Sights are just sights they don't change the gun handling at all.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Holo sights just look absurd on KAR's and some of the other, more rounded weapons. And for that reason, I'm out.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Megasabin posted:

So this game doesn't play nice with triple monitors at all. Every other game all 3 of my screens go black for 15-30 seconds, and then when they come back the game has closed itself.

It's in the latest patch notes that you shouldn't do multi monitor.

quote:

Bug fixes:

Added more support for non-standard aspect ratios. The game will now display at the correct FOV on aspect ratios ranging from 4:3 to 21:9. Multi-monitor environments such as Eyefinity are not recommended at this time.
Fixed an issue with the compass direction not displaying correctly

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Paradigmata posted:

Just a reminder that holding your weapon up when facing a wall is clientside and for everyone else the whole gun will stick trough the wall giving away your position.

Also, don't hug walls when you don't have to because any body part sticking through can be shot.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

So I killed a bunch of dudes, but I don't even feel good about it.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/136108290

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

Wait am I missing something here or do the guns fire much more accurately than it seems when firing from the hip? Do you never ADS?

The way you aim hardly matters, it's all about rounds down range.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I think overall, in game voice is kind of buggy. There are times when I three man squad, forget to turn off auto-matching and get a pubbie teammate. I'll turn off chat mute and hit T and it won't work, or it will always be on or something.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Gay Horney posted:

it's better to assume cosmetics do not change your hit box because to assume otherwise would be woefully retarded

I would agree with that. Until I see proof that things are as complicated as people try to make them out to be, I will just assume developers took the easy way out on pretty much every issue.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Essobie posted:

Either way, technically anything that makes your silhouette bigger is a disadvantage in a game that mostly about seeing people before they see you. So even if shooting the flapping coat tails doesn't damage you, it might stick out beyond a wall or something, right?

Well, it probably does, but most of the time a dark trench coat is better than a white/gray t-shirt. God help you if you have a khaki/beige jacket.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That would be odd given it's a trivial equation to get the bullet trajectory right.

It's probably not as trivial as you think. When I talked to PU he said he wanted the long range shooting to be more like Arma but said it's pretty difficult to get it right.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Hey, I made another video. Watch it.

https://youtu.be/k1kYIPlJip0

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

Best change is motorcycle with a loving sidecar you idiots.

Also performance improvements are super welcome. If they keep up this quality level of patching this game is gonna crush.

But... they didn't fix anything in you list...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

DayZ SA of course has cumulative foot damage you incur by running barefoot. It's fortunate PUBG is focused on action and fun rather than whatever it is DayZ devs are going for.

Generally if the clothing is only cosmetic you ultimately get everyone just wearing whatever's closest to camo they can find. I kinda think looting and finding Good Gear is a pretty big and fun part of the game so giving some gameplay bonuses to certain lootable clothing items might be cool.

Wait, are you saying that your ammo getting wet in the rain and jamming your gun isn't a fun feature?

Commoners posted:

Camo doesn't even remotely work in these games because everything you see is the player model's silhouette instead of the colors they have, with exception to someone wearing a neon pink shirt or something ridiculous. The only way camo works in games is if the game has a super lovely color palette and poor resolution so every mud colored player blends into the mud colored everything else or if it is something that breaks up the model's profile like ghillie suits and poo poo.

It's a really ugly engine that doesn't show detail until you obnoxiously close to something, which is really unfortunate. I tend to stick to darker clothes, because if people keep shadows on you can be pretty hard to see. I think the ghillie suit is a detriment, but I've only gotten it once or twice.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 18, 2017

• Locked thread