Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

the trump tutelage posted:

It drives me crazy because it's supposed to indicate a broad popular rejection of Trump when in reality it was two hyper-wealthy, coastal metropolitan areas.

I don't even like Trump but I'm tired of the stawmanning.

What's it like being a racist Midwesterner :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Amarcarts posted:

Racism is not a binary thing.

I think one the problems in popular discourse is that some people are aware of massive research projects like Project Implicit that have demonstrated things like unconscious cognitive bias and can see things like bad policy pretty clearly but are not good at articulating to people who are not aware of such research what is going on.

This sort of research shows that almost all of us have cognitive bias against black people to varying degrees, even black people themselves. It's not through any fault of our own it's a function of growing up in a country with historical baggage.

The actual number of raving hate-filled racists is pretty small but a lot of the source of modern racial problems comes from lack of awareness of bias.

EDIT: Here's a link to project implicit you can take tests and stuff to see for yourself. Even the most consciously tolerant people tend to have some level of implicit bias that shows up on the tests.
https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/aboutus.html

sir this is a chipotle

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Rime posted:

It turns out America was founded by complete assholes who, over the past two centuries, have slowly been morphed (by an astoundingly stupid populace and a predatory regime) into semi-mythological titans of brilliance and purity. All with the goal of crafting a national psychosis of extreme patriotism. Who knew? :shrug:

benjamin franklin was a god, his only character flaw was having too huge a dick

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

ArmZ posted:

Hillary won the popular vote so it actually proves that old conservative white men are bad and rig the process now and in the past

Gay marriage ban also won the popular vote.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Christmastime in Essex is a real good musical.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

nigga crab pollock posted:

it's almost like coastal metropolitan areas are well known for huffing their own farts

also those who disagree don't even bother showing up since they know their votes are worthless

For instance California outside of the coasts is surprisingly conservative

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

For instance California outside of where the people are is surprisingly conservative

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Neurolimal posted:

sir this is a chipotle

poo poo, at my Chipotle they'd give you a discount for going on the speel

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Dreddout posted:

poo poo, at my Chipotle they'd give you a discount for going on the speel

guac still extra though

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
its bad because it turns myth into history and makes narrow-minded people think they are progressive

but thats like 99% of all theater so w/e

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Reefer Madness: The Musical has not been mentioned yet and it is fantastic

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

this is at least equally damning

hmmmmm nah

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

California is one of the states where the majority of the population voted to create a law that would exist specifically to bar homosexual couples from marriage, as an example of what I mentioned earlier.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ork of Fiction posted:

California is one of the states where the majority of the population voted to create a law that would exist specifically to bar homosexual couples from marriage, as an example of what I mentioned earlier.
My point isn't California is some liberal utopia. It's that arguing the densely populated areas somehow less reflect the people because I can point to a bigger swath of red on a map is dumb. Especially when it's as dramatic as CA, where a county like LA that accounts for a third of the state's population, but rivals Kern (with less than 3% of the population) in size.

Prop 8 didn't pass because of a silent majority in Kern. It passed because politics and human views are complex things. The extra black and latino voters that helped sweep Obama into office, helped ensure those coastal counties pretty heavily went "yes on 8." There's some funky politics in the state, heck recently when given the choice between banning the death penalty, making it quicker to execute, or doing neither they opted for speedier executions -in the same election where dems took a super majority in the state gov.

Ardemia posted:

Reefer Madness: The Musical has not been mentioned yet and it is fantastic

Yeah and the movie version even added Alan Cummings to the cast.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Grem posted:

A rap musical done by someone that is not the resurrected ODB? Trash.

A nigga who try to run game on he own nigga? A shameful nigga

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Coolness Averted posted:

The extra black and latino voters that helped sweep Obama into office, helped ensure those coastal counties pretty heavily went "yes on 8."

Wait but i thought only white people can hate gays? Or like, it only matters when white people hate gays, or something.

You see; power structures.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Secular Humanist posted:

Wait but i thought only white people can hate gays? Or like, it only matters when white people hate gays, or something.

You see; power structures.

The only white people that aren't uncomfortable with objecting to something brown people do are the ones that truly and deeply do not like brown people

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

The only white people that aren't uncomfortable with objecting to something brown people do are the ones that truly and deeply do not like brown people

I got banned for this by the mods. But then???

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Yeah holding people of color to a higher standard than white people on minority issues is like Racism in the USA 101.

edit: or like one of those classes that starts with a 0. 001.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
White gays are bad. As bad as any other white people, if not somewhat worse because they think they have an excuse

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

...and the pitch! posted:

Yeah holding people of color to a higher standard than white people on minority issues is like Racism in the USA 101.

edit: or like one of those classes that starts with a 0. 001.

lol no, its holding them to the same standard.

Reserving a special, more pristine moral standard only for white people and modifying your principles when the skin color changes is being a racist progressive in the USA 101

And no, I'm not saying it's racist towards whites to hold them to a higher standard; it's racist toward non-whites.

Secular Humanist fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 29, 2017

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Secular Humanist posted:

lol no, its holding them to the same standard.

No there are racists that definitely hold minorities to higher standards in a mocking way. You can pretend it doesn't exist but it does. Why would I object to everyone being held to the same standard?

Secular Humanist posted:

Reserving a special, more pristine moral standard only for white people and modifying your principles when the skin color changes is being a racist progressive in the USA 101

Fortunately for me I'm not this strawman you have conjured up out of thin air.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
My teenage daughters are obsessed with the soundtrack, I took the younger one to see it in Chicago when we won the $10 ticket lottery.

I enjoyed it.

Especially because WAYNE loving BRADY is playing Burr there right now.

EDIT: and he would be the perfect Washington as well.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

No there are racists that definitely hold minorities to higher standards in a mocking way. You can pretend it doesn't exist but it does. Why would I object to everyone being held to the same standard?

probably because there are people on this forum, and in real life as well, that would suggest that being a minority makes you incapable of racism

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I'm a racist ethnic minority ama

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

your friend a dog posted:

probably because there are people on this forum, and in real life as well, that would suggest that being a minority makes you incapable of racism

I don't know if GBS is the place for unwinding why this is wrong

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

GBS is for talking about whatever the gently caress you like mate. If you want to hang out in an echo chamber be my guest

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I'm a racist ethnic minority ama

how do you feel about nobody giving a poo poo when you are super racist because you're oppressed also? as if they are holding you to a lower moral standard due to your race, thus robbing you of any agency to make your own moral choices?

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

nah its not complicated. anyone can be racist against anyone else, it's pretty simple bud.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Secular Humanist posted:

how do you feel about nobody giving a poo poo when you are super racist because you're oppressed also? as if they are holding you to a lower moral standard due to your race, thus robbing you of any agency to make your own moral choices?

Nobody gives a poo poo about me anyway and I don't really care what white people think unless it directly affects my life because gently caress em

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about me anyway and I don't really care what white people think unless it directly affects my life because gently caress em

good answer

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
thats a very selfish viewpoint!!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

your friend a dog posted:

nah its not complicated. anyone can be racist against anyone else, it's pretty simple bud.

Like many words in the dictionary, there are many definitions of the word racism blah blah blah

And then you just say everyone is racist again and I wasted my time. What a fun game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I like Hamilton

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
It is very important that when a black person says "I loving want to kill all whites" that we call it "racial prejudice" instead of "racism" because nuance and power structures. This will move us forward swiftly.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I already expect all white people to consider me as subhuman or something to exploit for their benefit so the behavior of rich urban white liberals doesn't really surprise me any more than the poor rural ones

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Secular Humanist posted:

It is very important that when a black person says "I loving want to kill all whites" that we call it "racial prejudice" instead of "racism" because nuance and power structures. This will move us forward swiftly.

If anyone brings up the real, persistent effects of structural racism we should playfully act like all racism is equally deleterious to the human condition.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Like many words in the dictionary, there are many definitions of the word racism blah blah blah

And then you just say everyone is racist again and I wasted my time. What a fun game.

If your point can only be communicated in a 2 hour classroom lecture chances are it's not very good.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

No, not really. This is the definition of racism:

"Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior."

Just because you want it to be something else to fit into your skewed worldview doesn't make it so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I already expect all white people to consider me as subhuman or something to exploit for their benefit so the behavior of rich urban white liberals doesn't really surprise me any more than the poor rural ones

I feel like I can respect the poor rural ones a little more, at least they aren't pretending to be your friend.

• Locked thread