Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
when i was growing up my sister would play the entire soundtrack of rent so loud and so often that even now i get nauseous whenever i think about it. every day, woken up by it. sometimes randomly in the middle of the night, woken up by it. just blaring that poo poo every waking hour she was at home. early on she would sometimes play the soundtracks for into the woods or cats, but eventually she settled into nothing but rent for at least a year.

i don't like her very much.

and yeah, she is all about hamilton the last i heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

rent has the worst soundtrack of anything ever, it's like the songs were specifically designed to be as horrible as possible to the human ear

light my candle and la vie boheme are the worst songs i've ever heard

even if it was the most magnificent music ever produced i would still hate it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gatekeeper posted:

if you have aids you probably won't be able to "love ya tomorrow" because tomorrow is not a certainty :(

aids isn't really lethal any more among the affluent honkies who like hamilton.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i hate showtunse but love busdriver, milo, asap rocky, rtj, open mike eagle, nicki, jurassic 5+tuna's solo stuff, blkhrts, mos def, atmosphere, and the roots

hamilton more reminds me of 80s rap like grandmaster flash/llcoolj/run dmc but its a fuckin musical that incorporates hip hop and never professed to be anything else so i cut it some slack and enjoyed the playful delivery & funny punchlines instead of getting buttmad and demanding to see the hip hop credentials of something awful forum goons

white people are going apeshit for hamilton not because it's some pillar magnum opus of hip hop culture but because it's the first time in a while anyone has tried marketing hip hop to white people, and hip hop is really good and fun but shitloads of white people just never noticed because nobody tried to sell it to them. so stuff like license to ill/vanilla ice/eminem/hamilton come along and blow up not because they're 10x better than other hip hop but because the audience they're being marketed to is bigger AND has no frame of reference so they're experiencing all the stuff that makes hip hop awesome in earnest for the first time, so they go absolutely batshit over an album or artist that may not be super remarkable or innovative technically or musically

that's a slightly more polite way of saying "white people like hamilton because they don't know any better"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

nah i said people are going apeshit about it because a lot of them are experiencing all the fun parts of hip hop in earnest for the first time

meaning if they knew about the rich variety of hip hop that is available they wouldn't give a poo poo about hamilton. in other words, they don't know any better.

• Locked thread