Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
White Coke
May 29, 2015

MonsterEnvy posted:

I know.

"There are two lies about the Skaven, the first is that they don't exist, the second is that anyone believes the first."

The lore is full of examples of Skaven assassinating leaders to cause civil war, but I wonder how many plots against the skaven have caused them to have civil wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Night10194 posted:

The Skaven national passtime is civil war.

After all, all other races are inferior furless losers, so one's only REAL threat is another skaven, right? And every single skaven believes he's the greatest skaven to ever skaven.

A little like Carsteins, really.

Oh sure, the Skaven want you to think that all those civil wars are entirely Skaven affairs.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I hope that after they add the Skaven we get Hobgoblins, the one race more treacherous than the Skaven. They have boney humps because literal back-stabbing is so prevalent in their "society".

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Night10194 posted:

Halflings are exceedingly resistant to magic and chaos both, and its theorized vampires feed on the magic in peoples' blood. One of the reasons they find elves to be incredibly rich desserts.

In fact vampires don't need to drink blood and can subsist off of raw dark magic, but it drives them absolutely insane. It's also why Necrarchs look like rotten corpses and Strigoi have devolved.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CommissarMega posted:

What happens when a Blood Dragon manages to drink the blood of a Dragon? I hear they either simply up their power levels and become a super-vampire, or more dramatically lose all their vampire weaknesses while retaining their strengths. And is it only the Blood Dragons who can do this?

lenoon posted:

I think the origin story of the blood dragons has the sire of the line drinking the blood of a dragon and losing the irrational, evil bit of the blood thirst. I want to say Abhorash or something similar.

Abhorash was a pretty strong willed guy, so he had his bloodthirsty as under control as anyone could. I think it just removed the need for blood for sustenance. I don't know if it removed any of the other weaknesses. I'm inclined to say that it didn't, its just that dragons are so naturally magical that it provides the drinker all the sustenance they'd ever need. And any vampire can do it, a Necrarch named Zacharius the Everliving managed to find a Black Dragon and drink her dry.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Night10194 posted:

Admittedly he wasn't at all under control when he did that. Losing the city of Lahmia drove him pretty insane and he basically decided 'gently caress it, I hate everyone and we're monsters no matter how much we pretend. C'mon, boys, let's kill whatever the hell we want.'

To this day, the orcs of the Badlands tell legends about being attacked by 'massive armies' of 'throat-rippers'. It was just Abhorash and a couple of his surviving students. He just happened to find the dragon in his insane blood rage and try to take it on, drinking it after he struck it down. Which then cured his bloodlust and basically made him sane again, as the legend goes.

Well that could be him giving into his blood thirst, or just deciding that he didn't care about protecting humanity anymore and going hog wild.

CommissarMega posted:

I always saw vampires, both in WHFB and elsewhere as not really draining their victims dry, but simply draining that 'vital essence' needed for someone to survive. Sure you can give a victim a blood transfusion, but once all that essence is gone they dead. It's how I think Abhorash drained that dragon- he just drank a pint, but in doing so drained the dragon's lifeforce.

That seems the most likely explanation, although there's probably going to be some magic left in the blood that isn't drunk.

Zebrin posted:

Yeah, I read that vampires drink the magic in the blood, just as much as the blood itself, which is why they can survive just on the winds of death alone. Even though doing that drives them several steps past bonkers. So maybe that is right...

Dark magic isn't Death magic. Dark magic is when the eight winds get mushed together, or never separate when they come out of the polar gates. It's the most powerful and most unstable type of magic.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Ze Pollack posted:

Somewhere, a faint "heh" sound occurs in proximity to a mummified frog's corpse at that first part, and a dozen Norse sorcerers aligned with Tzeentch start vomiting highly acidic rainbows at the second.

High magic isn't as powerful as Dark, but it's a lot more versatile, and less corruptive. And lord Kroak is an extreme edge case. And the Chaos Gods' magic are variants of Dark magic, just like necromancy is.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Night10194 posted:

Also the Chaos Dwarves' entire culture is based around trying to fulfill the insane mechanisms and orders Hatshut passes down to them. All the forbidden magic, all the slavery, all the insane and horrifying industry, is all because their God demands they build, and so they build. They don't know to what final end all of it is going at all.

Of course they know what the final end is, the eternal dominance of Hashut and his favored servants the Dawn Zharr.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Mzbundifund posted:

Ah, the old "surely Satan wouldn't lie" policy. Reliable!

This is a world with many Satans and occasionally they gift their most dedicated servants with transformation into an immortal demigod. Most die horrible deaths after short, futile lives but that's beside the point since everyone knows they'll be one of the successful ones.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

wiegieman posted:

Chaos worshipers are basically everything bad about libertarians rolled into one awkwardly-dressed package.

Don't discuss the NAP with a Khorne worshipper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The Vampire Counts should get some kind of ranged unit, like skeletal archers.

• Locked thread