Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm curious as to evidence/arguments for and against it's existence?

In the past, I always remember evidence refuting and QEDing it away but as of late I always see people off handedly dismiss that without providing any real evidence as to why that's wrong. I believe that it exists, I would just like to be more educated on the issue than just going "nuh uh it exists you dumb :mrapig:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

wage slavery is categorically unethical OP, talking about wage gaps is like squabbling over the differences between field slaves and house slaves HTH

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SpaceClown posted:

I'm curious as to evidence/arguments for and against it's existence?

In the past, I always remember evidence refuting and QEDing it away but as of late I always see people off handedly dismiss that without providing any real evidence as to why that's wrong. I believe that it exists, I would just like to be more educated on the issue than just going "nuh uh it exists you dumb :mrapig:"

"Women are in lower paying fields" is literally the refutation and that's horse poo poo, so

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Calibanibal posted:

wage slavery is categorically unethical OP, talking about wage gaps is like squabbling over the differences between field slaves and house slaves HTH

communism is crap.

The Oldest Man posted:

"Women are in lower paying fields" is literally the refutation and that's horse poo poo, so

I recall the refutation being based on a multitude of factors non of which were that.

They were something along the lines of:
-Women are less likely to haggle salary
-Unpaid maternity leave/Maternity leave interfering with climbing the ladder
-Women tend to not pull the old "Work at one place for two years, find another job" thing in their careers

And they are usually backed by studies and surveys from reputable sources. I have nothing to refute that with, because they are all reasonable things that would indeed cause a wage gap that's not explicitly sexist.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Calibanibal posted:

It sure is easy to dismiss any real issue with 'When the revolution comes comrade, all problems will go away."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SpaceClown posted:

And they are usually backed by studies and surveys from reputable sources. I have nothing to refute that with, because they are all reasonable things that would indeed cause a wage gap that's not explicitly sexist.

If it creates a manifestly, materially unequal outcome it kind of is.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
but then why has it resurged as a cornerstone of feminist discourse as an example of modern discrimination?

wouldn't it be more appropriate to approach the issue asking why women are less aggressive :siren: on average :siren: in their careers? I think it's squandering an opportunity to discuss a sociological difference when it's approached the way that it's approached.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

SpaceClown posted:

communism is crap.

I recall the refutation being based on a multitude of factors non of which were that.

They were something along the lines of:
-Women are less likely to haggle salary
-Unpaid maternity leave/Maternity leave interfering with climbing the ladder
-Women tend to not pull the old "Work at one place for two years, find another job" thing in their careers

communism rules

Women are just one of the subgroups that are disenfranchised in order to maintain the unsustainable accumulation of capital

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SpaceClown posted:

but then why has it resurged as a cornerstone of feminist discourse as an example of modern discrimination?

wouldn't it be more appropriate to approach the issue asking why women are less aggressive :siren: on average :siren: in their careers? I think it's squandering an opportunity to discuss a sociological difference when it's approached the way that it's approached.

Because if society has the effect of pressuring women to behave that way, that is of concern to feminists.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rexicon1 posted:

communism rules

Women are just one of the subgroups that are disenfranchised in order to maintain the unsustainable accumulation of capital

communism blows

the common man is crap and cannot handle the responsibility required to guide his own fate, let alone his neighbor's, democracy has proved this. we need a silicon sapience-based aristocracy. in both economic and political ownership.

OwlFancier posted:

Because if society has the effect of pressuring women to behave that way, that is of concern to feminists.

I'm not arguing against that, I'm saying why isn't it approached in that way? Isn't it disingenuous to continue to paint it in the light of discrimination as opposed to sociological predisposition that results in less women making career choices that result in a higher pay?

Isn't it wasted potential to refuse to use it as a springboard for that dialogue? Especially when it's actually a non-sequitur?

SpaceClown fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 27, 2017

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

communism is dope

It's really tough to criticize or analyze the wage gap phenomenon without falling into some real :biotruths: type bullshit. My sensors all fire at once when I hear arguments against the wage gap that include "Women aren't as aggressive as men". That kind of sexual dimorphism isn't really present in humans to an appreciable degree and we certainly shouldn't model anything in our society on it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SpaceClown posted:

I'm not arguing against that, I'm saying why isn't it approached in that way? Isn't it disingenuous to continue to paint it in the light of discrimination as opposed to sociological predisposition that results in less women making career choices that result in a higher pay?

Isn't it wasted potential to refuse to use it as a springboard for that dialogue? Especially when it's actually a non-sequitur?

Discrimination does not need to be intentional, or individual.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
But apparently it is because it's resulting in more women receiving lower pay than their male counterparts because of a more common trend of less aggressive career moves. But in the mainstream, nobody is taking the opportunity to ask why that is. What are the sociological pressures causing this? Is there biological factors at play or is it strictly sociological?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SpaceClown posted:

But apparently it is because it's resulting in more women receiving lower pay than their male counterparts because of a more common trend of less aggressive career moves. But in the mainstream, nobody is taking the opportunity to ask why that is. What are the sociological pressures causing this? Is there biological factors at play or is it strictly sociological?

Generally I would consider it rather a pointless discussion, given that I see no reason to ascribe to biology what can be explained quite handily by the very well documented concept of sexual inequality enforced by a masculine-dominated society. And even if it could be explained by biology, the need is no less strong to erase the inequality of outcome.

Plus the people who are very keen for there to be a biological explanation tend to be pretty universally, massive shitters.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
Can you provide an example of a wage gap argument that suggests it is entirely due to discrimination and/or doesn't consider possible causes and seek potential solutions?

E: I should probably clarify as a "mainstream" example as I guess anything is possible in the bizarre bits of the internet

foolish_fool fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 27, 2017

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

Discrimination does not need to be intentional, or individual.

It's not discriminatory when it's self-inflicted. There ARE women who exhibit the same aggression in their careers and make the same as their male counterparts, it's not even that terribly uncommon. It's a phenomenon of more women than men being unaggressive in their career choices and that translates to the wage gap. That's completely disingenuous to imply it's discrimination and not a sex-based trend.

Example: :iiaca:
More women than men buy X car in Y color. Is that inherently discriminatory?

OwlFancier posted:

Generally I would consider it rather a pointless discussion, given that I see no reason to ascribe to biology what can be explained quite handily by the very well documented concept of sexual inequality enforced by a masculine-dominated society. And even if it could be explained by biology, the need is no less strong to erase the inequality of outcome.

Plus the people who are very keen for there to be a biological explanation tend to be pretty universally, massive shitters.

But then what's gained by framing it as the result of discriminatory hiring practices?
I think it isn't a pointless discussion to talk about why there's a bigger trend of career-going women shooting themselves in the foot as opposed to men and finding out just why that is. Because otherwise there won't be a solution. The only thing that could be solved is the issues regarding maternity leave but that's not really as huge of an issue as the other two points that I brought up.

Completely agree with the bolded statement.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why is "aggressiveness" a good metric to use for determining promotions and compensation, as opposed to something more practical like say competency?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Meritocratic distribution of wealth is impossible to do fairly and will never be divorced from societal norms and prejudices. Competency-based wage is a bed-time story neoliberals tell their children when they have nightmares.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Oh yeah, this thread is gonna go places

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Every thread is doomed to communism or gun talk. No mods no masters only the abyss.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SpaceClown posted:

It's not discriminatory when it's self-inflicted. There ARE women who exhibit the same aggression in their careers and make the same as their male counterparts, it's not even that terribly uncommon. It's a phenomenon of more women than men being unaggressive in their career choices and that translates to the wage gap. That's completely disingenuous to imply it's discrimination and not a sex-based trend.

Example: :iiaca:
More women than men buy X car in Y color. Is that inherently discriminatory?

But then what's gained by framing it as the result of discriminatory hiring practices?
I think it isn't a pointless discussion to talk about why there's a bigger trend of career-going women shooting themselves in the foot as opposed to men and finding out just why that is. Because otherwise there won't be a solution. The only thing that could be solved is the issues regarding maternity leave but that's not really as huge of an issue as the other two points that I brought up.

Completely agree with the bolded statement.

This starts from the assumption that the discrepancy is the result of women being born naturally whatever those qualities you believe explain the wage gap. Boldly, individually asserting their lower earning potential in the world. And that they are not primarily a result of socialization which functions to limit the achievement and freedom of women, intentional, or otherwise. I see no reason to begin with that assumption.

Further, it can be viewed in the inverse. Even if, and this is a big if, women are naturally less assertive and men moreso, why does our society prize assertiveness? Is that discrepancy in which is viewed more praiseworthy and which rewarded more highly, indicative of an unequal society? That one sex should have its naturally qualities praised while the other neglected? In either case, the solution is the same, that society must change if the circumstances of one's birth are not to determine the quality of one's life.

The source of the inequality is quite irrelevant, in either case, it is society that must change and in the same ways.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

If you think pay = skill except in the most edge cases, you need to spend more time in corporate America.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

foolish_fool posted:

Can you provide an example of a wage gap argument that suggests it is entirely due to discrimination and/or doesn't consider possible causes and seek potential solutions?

E: I should probably clarify as a "mainstream" example as I guess anything is possible in the bizarre bits of the internet

It's a lovely gossip rag website, but it's also a good example of how I always seem to see the argument brought up in the mainstream, at least.
http://www.glamour.com/story/women-professors-salaries-have-gone-up-more-than-mensbut-the-wage-gap-is-still-widening

VitalSigns posted:

Why is "aggressiveness" a good metric to use for determining promotions and compensation, as opposed to something more practical like say competency?

Because we have to look at what aggression means here.

Going into an interview with HR, the salary they pose is considered a starting point with intention of it going up. They expect you're going to argue that you're worth more than that. Not everybody does, plenty of people just take what it says. More women than men settle for that starting salary and bam. You've already started below the pay of your peers and that's only going to continue to be reflected even after promotions as your colleagues had a head start.

Then you have the 2-year trick, which once again, women have a trend of not doing. More experience, more pay. That's the biggest contributor to making above baseline salary and the fact that the trend of women not doing it exists is possibly the greatest contributor to the wage gap. Think of it like this, the business you worked at knows exactly what you did during your stint there and will compensate you with promotions. When you apply to another workplace, they don't know exactly everything you did, only whats on your resume and it boils down to them seeing "2 years of experience at this company" as opposed to "cleaned up spaghetti code" or whatever crap task you did to get a promotion. Needless to say, that generic experience counts for a whole lot more.

This is what I mean by aggression. The corporate world isn't a meritocracy, it never was and it never will be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SpaceClown posted:

Because we have to look at what aggression means here.

Going into an interview with HR, the salary they pose is considered a starting point with intention of it going up. They expect you're going to argue that you're worth more than that. Not everybody does, plenty of people just take what it says. More women than men settle for that starting salary and bam. You've already started below the pay of your peers and that's only going to continue to be reflected even after promotions as your colleagues had a head start.

Then you have the 2-year trick, which once again, women have a trend of not doing. More experience, more pay. That's the biggest contributor to making above baseline salary and the fact that the trend of women not doing it exists is possibly the greatest contributor to the wage gap. Think of it like this, the business you worked at knows exactly what you did during your stint there and will compensate you with promotions. When you apply to another workplace, they don't know exactly everything you did, only whats on your resume and it boils down to them seeing "2 years of experience at this company" as opposed to "cleaned up spaghetti code" or whatever crap task you did to get a promotion. Needless to say, that generic experience counts for a whole lot more.

This is what I mean by aggression. The corporate world isn't a meritocracy, it never was and it never will be.

Working on the assumption that you believe aggression to be biologically sex linked, do you perhaps think that maybe the reason why aggression is considered a fundamental part of participation in a business and, seemingly a requisite component of fair compensation, this might have something to do with masculine over representation in those businesses, and that requiring women, which again we're positing are just naturally unfit to be aggressive for the purposes of this argument, adopt that aggressiveness or suffer, might be a bit of a clear example of sexual discrimination?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Working on the assumption that you believe aggression to be biologically sex linked, do you perhaps think that maybe the reason why aggression is considered a fundamental part of participation in a business and, seemingly a requisite component of fair compensation, this might have something to do with masculine over representation in those businesses, and that requiring women, which again we're positing are just naturally unfit to be aggressive for the purposes of this argument, adopt that aggressiveness or suffer, might be a bit of a clear example of sexual discrimination?

I don't think he ever made the assumption that aggression was biologically sex-linked, that was me jumping the gun a little bit in favor of my naive terrible worldview.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The alternative is that women are taught to be non-aggressive and thus their exclusion on those grounds simply means that the societal disenfranchisement works slightly differently.

But I have a very limited supply of good faith.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpaceClown posted:

what a surprise, the techie thinks there's a one-neat-trick answer based on his myopic life experience/worldview

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

This starts from the assumption that the discrepancy is the result of women being born naturally whatever those qualities you believe explain the wage gap. Boldly, individually asserting their lower earning potential in the world. And that they are not primarily a result of socialization which functions to limit the achievement and freedom of women, intentional, or otherwise. I see no reason to begin with that assumption.

But this entire time I've actually not done this and have been arguing from a standpoint that it's due to sociological pressures. Like I think I said "sociological" 10 times in my first 3 or so posts. Obviously an exaggeration, but still.

quote:

why does our society prize assertiveness? Is that discrepancy in which is viewed more praiseworthy and which rewarded more highly, indicative of an unequal society?

Because assertiveness is a pretty massive signal of self-respect? Moreover, would you try this argument as to East Asian street markets discriminating against westerners because they don't haggle? If you don't think you're worth more money than what a corporation initially suggests, they are more than happy to pay you that lesser amount. But it's expected that you argue for yourself and demonstrate that you're worth more than that figure, because they want confident talent. If you're talking about why is assertiveness in this context considered more important, it's simple; Unconfident talent simply does not produce like confident talent, and are you really surprised that a corporation would want confident talent?

quote:

it is society that must change and in the same ways.

I somewhat agree, however I have often seen answers that suggest changes like removing haggling from the hiring process or cracking down on workplace hopping neither of which are beneficial to nobody. You're just crippling people who know how to and are willing to operate in a corporate environment and forcing them to work for the crap pay their dipshit coworkers work for. That's not a solution at all, in my opinion. :colbert:

The real solution, like I have suggested I think twice before ITT, should be to identify and analyze the sociological factors that go into why these trends currently exist and how to eliminate those pressures.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

SpaceClown posted:

First of all, there are a lot of studies which show that, when women and men with similar qualifications and experience are evaluated for a job, women are systemically undervalued. This isn't about "oh, Susan is less aggressive than John, so she's not advancing as fast in her career" as much as "we sent out a bunch of identical resumes, save for the names at the top, and 'John' resumes got a lot more callbacks than 'Susan' resumes."

Or, on the more anecdotal side of the fence, pretty much any trans woman who's transitioned mid-career will tell you that, during her transition, she started getting a lot more pushback and questions about her competence. And, the critical point for that isn't hormone therapy or whatever else - it's when she chooses to start presenting as a woman.

But, let's throw all that out the window for the sake of argument. For the sake of pure biological determinism, we'll say that there is some function of serum estrogens and testosterone which can predict pay differential in the same career with near-perfect accuracy. There are only two explanations:
- Society as a whole tends to discriminate against people with high estrogen and low testosterone; that is, generally speaking, society discriminates against women, even if it is a sex-based trend.
- People with high estrogen and low testosterone are just bad workers. Women tend to be inherently bad in the workplace.

From your posts, you've been arguing against the first possibility- you believe that the wage gap is not evidence of discrimination. So, do you believe that women just don't belong in the workplace, and are you willing to back that up with anything other than the existence of a wage gap?

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

StabbinHobo posted:

what a surprise, the techie thinks there's a one-neat-trick answer based on his myopic life experience/worldview

i actually quit my job and am now a full time well-fed artist, thank you.

also I never was a programmer, but when i was working, I didn't go from no degree, no experience helpdesk dipshit to sysadmin in 4 years by twiddling my thumbs and hoping my manager noticed i was a good boy.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fuckit i say we lean into this

biotruth: capitalism is a psychopathic cancerous ideology of amoral competition and accumulation. men, especially young high-T ones, are statistically more into that

edit: oh gently caress we got a boostrappin sysadmin here

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 27, 2017

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Space Gopher posted:

First of all, there are a lot of studies which show that, when women and men with similar qualifications and experience are evaluated for a job, women are systemically undervalued. This isn't about "oh, Susan is less aggressive than John, so she's not advancing as fast in her career" as much as "we sent out a bunch of identical resumes, save for the names at the top, and 'John' resumes got a lot more callbacks than 'Susan' resumes."
Now see this is what I'm talking about, can I get a link to some of those studies to bookmark? I knew there had to be more reason to it.

quote:

Or, on the more anecdotal side of the fence, pretty much any trans woman who's transitioned mid-career will tell you that, during her transition, she started getting a lot more pushback and questions about her competence. And, the critical point for that isn't hormone therapy or whatever else - it's when she chooses to start presenting as a woman.

But, let's throw all that out the window for the sake of argument. For the sake of pure biological determinism, we'll say that there is some function of serum estrogens and testosterone which can predict pay differential in the same career with near-perfect accuracy. There are only two explanations:
- Society as a whole tends to discriminate against people with high estrogen and low testosterone; that is, generally speaking, society discriminates against women, even if it is a sex-based trend.
- People with high estrogen and low testosterone are just bad workers. Women tend to be inherently bad in the workplace.

From your posts, you've been arguing against the first possibility- you believe that the wage gap is not evidence of discrimination. So, do you believe that women just don't belong in the workplace, and are you willing to back that up with anything other than the existence of a wage gap?

I've been arguing semantics ITT waiting for the first part, so this isn't really necessa-
Wait what? I'm not even sure what this is addressing?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

SpaceClown posted:

i actually quit my job and am now a full time well-fed artist, thank you.

also I never was a programmer, but when i was working, I didn't go from no degree, no experience helpdesk dipshit to sysadmin in 4 years by twiddling my thumbs and hoping my manager noticed i was a good boy.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

StabbinHobo posted:

fuckit i say we lean into this

biotruth: capitalism is a psychopathic cancerous ideology of amoral competition and accumulation. men, especially young high-T ones, are statistically more into that

edit: oh gently caress we got a boostrappin sysadmin here

gently caress yea, ride straight to hell with me!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SpaceClown posted:

Because assertiveness is a pretty massive signal of self-respect? Moreover, would you try this argument as to East Asian street markets discriminating against westerners because they don't haggle? If you don't think you're worth more money than what a corporation initially suggests, they are more than happy to pay you that lesser amount. But it's expected that you argue for yourself and demonstrate that you're worth more than that figure, because they want confident talent. If you're talking about why is assertiveness in this context considered more important, it's simple; Unconfident talent simply does not produce like confident talent, and are you really surprised that a corporation would want confident talent?

That is an extremely masculine perspective and you should not attempt to universalize it. Again, perhaps this way of thinking might have something to do with masculine overrepresentation in the businesses you seem to be familiar with. I wonder if perhaps lack of assertiveness might primarily be a problem if you put it into an institution full of people who got hired and stayed on because the compensation process selects for arrogant dickheads, and not actually a problem with lack of assertiveness inherently?

SpaceClown posted:

I somewhat agree, however I have often seen answers that suggest changes like removing haggling from the hiring process or cracking down on workplace hopping neither of which are beneficial to nobody. You're just crippling people who know how to and are willing to operate in a corporate environment and forcing them to work for the crap pay their dipshit coworkers work for. That's not a solution at all, in my opinion. :colbert:

The real solution, like I have suggested I think twice before ITT, should be to identify and analyze the sociological factors that go into why these trends currently exist and how to eliminate those pressures.

Removing "haggling" from the workplace benefits everybody who doesn't currently benefit from it being expected... If you want to say it doesn't benefit you because you're good at it that is most definitely not "everybody". Yes I am actually suggesting that perhaps your compensation should be based on your contribution not on your ability to lie about your contribution. I see no reason to defend the alternative other than absolute selfishness.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpaceClown posted:

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

:shrug:

if you grew up around computers and can't bootstrap yourself from a middle-class home to being a sysadmin I'm not sure what to tell you my dude

its literally I can keep a schedule and work with a package manager: the job

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

SpaceClown posted:

:shrug:

if you grew up around computers and can't bootstrap yourself from a middle-class home to being a sysadmin I'm not sure what to tell you my dude

its literally I can keep a schedule and work with a package manager: the job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hey feminists I just crowdsourced this solution to disrupt your paradigm, why don't you all just be middle class sysadmins?

You're welcome.

• Locked thread