Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

SpaceClown posted:

It's not discriminatory when it's self-inflicted. There ARE women who exhibit the same aggression in their careers and make the same as their male counterparts, it's not even that terribly uncommon. It's a phenomenon of more women than men being unaggressive in their career choices and that translates to the wage gap. That's completely disingenuous to imply it's discrimination and not a sex-based trend.

First of all, there are a lot of studies which show that, when women and men with similar qualifications and experience are evaluated for a job, women are systemically undervalued. This isn't about "oh, Susan is less aggressive than John, so she's not advancing as fast in her career" as much as "we sent out a bunch of identical resumes, save for the names at the top, and 'John' resumes got a lot more callbacks than 'Susan' resumes."

Or, on the more anecdotal side of the fence, pretty much any trans woman who's transitioned mid-career will tell you that, during her transition, she started getting a lot more pushback and questions about her competence. And, the critical point for that isn't hormone therapy or whatever else - it's when she chooses to start presenting as a woman.

But, let's throw all that out the window for the sake of argument. For the sake of pure biological determinism, we'll say that there is some function of serum estrogens and testosterone which can predict pay differential in the same career with near-perfect accuracy. There are only two explanations:
- Society as a whole tends to discriminate against people with high estrogen and low testosterone; that is, generally speaking, society discriminates against women, even if it is a sex-based trend.
- People with high estrogen and low testosterone are just bad workers. Women tend to be inherently bad in the workplace.

From your posts, you've been arguing against the first possibility- you believe that the wage gap is not evidence of discrimination. So, do you believe that women just don't belong in the workplace, and are you willing to back that up with anything other than the existence of a wage gap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

SpaceClown posted:

Now see this is what I'm talking about, can I get a link to some of those studies to bookmark? I knew there had to be more reason to it.

I've been arguing semantics ITT waiting for the first part, so this isn't really necessa-
Wait what? I'm not even sure what this is addressing?

Here's the study I was thinking of: http://www.pnas.org/content/109/41/16474.abstract . Looks like I described it wrong; the names were Jennifer and John.

Now, it's your turn. You've made a lot of assertions about how the wage gap exists solely because women lack aggressiveness in their careers, and that career aggressiveness is a sex-linked trait (rather than, say, a gendered one). Can you provide something other than "here's wot I think" to back that up?

• Locked thread