Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

SpaceClown posted:

communism is crap.

I recall the refutation being based on a multitude of factors non of which were that.

They were something along the lines of:
-Women are less likely to haggle salary
-Unpaid maternity leave/Maternity leave interfering with climbing the ladder
-Women tend to not pull the old "Work at one place for two years, find another job" thing in their careers

And they are usually backed by studies and surveys from reputable sources. I have nothing to refute that with, because they are all reasonable things that would indeed cause a wage gap that's not explicitly sexist.

communism rules

Women are just one of the subgroups that are disenfranchised in order to maintain the unsustainable accumulation of capital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

communism is dope

It's really tough to criticize or analyze the wage gap phenomenon without falling into some real :biotruths: type bullshit. My sensors all fire at once when I hear arguments against the wage gap that include "Women aren't as aggressive as men". That kind of sexual dimorphism isn't really present in humans to an appreciable degree and we certainly shouldn't model anything in our society on it.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Meritocratic distribution of wealth is impossible to do fairly and will never be divorced from societal norms and prejudices. Competency-based wage is a bed-time story neoliberals tell their children when they have nightmares.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Every thread is doomed to communism or gun talk. No mods no masters only the abyss.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Working on the assumption that you believe aggression to be biologically sex linked, do you perhaps think that maybe the reason why aggression is considered a fundamental part of participation in a business and, seemingly a requisite component of fair compensation, this might have something to do with masculine over representation in those businesses, and that requiring women, which again we're positing are just naturally unfit to be aggressive for the purposes of this argument, adopt that aggressiveness or suffer, might be a bit of a clear example of sexual discrimination?

I don't think he ever made the assumption that aggression was biologically sex-linked, that was me jumping the gun a little bit in favor of my naive terrible worldview.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

SpaceClown posted:

i actually quit my job and am now a full time well-fed artist, thank you.

also I never was a programmer, but when i was working, I didn't go from no degree, no experience helpdesk dipshit to sysadmin in 4 years by twiddling my thumbs and hoping my manager noticed i was a good boy.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

StabbinHobo posted:

fuckit i say we lean into this

biotruth: capitalism is a psychopathic cancerous ideology of amoral competition and accumulation. men, especially young high-T ones, are statistically more into that

edit: oh gently caress we got a boostrappin sysadmin here

gently caress yea, ride straight to hell with me!

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

SpaceClown posted:

:shrug:

if you grew up around computers and can't bootstrap yourself from a middle-class home to being a sysadmin I'm not sure what to tell you my dude

its literally I can keep a schedule and work with a package manager: the job

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I know you are getting a lot of flippant responses from me and the pissboy gallery, but I would really take to heart what OwlFancier is talking about in regards to workplace inequality. You gotta frame the question right before you start going all socratic method on it.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Also spending most of my time working around non-assertive people, I have to say that aggressive people are the biggest headache in my day to day life. They're like the normal people only they're argumentative and don't listen and persist in doing things in the least productive way and wouldn't you know it they tend to get promoted.

I'm a professional at workplace disruption. People idolize me for my ability to think outside the box and my distaste for conformity. For example when someone asks me for a hand writing something up, I agree to help them, but only to put them off guard so they don't expect me to walk into their office and piss all over the pictures of their family. My job creators really appreciate my ability to put existential fear in my co workers and they promote me once a week. I should make vice president within the year.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

SpaceClown posted:

Yes, forcing everybody to wear training wheels certainly does benefit the idiots who can't function without them. A good observation. However that's not a good solution at all, your real solution should be to learn why those idiots need their training wheels and how to stop them from being idiots.

Eureka! The problem was that the females were stupid and didn't know how to behave. My god, the answer was right there all along and we just needed you to stumble upon it! No wonder the difficult job of Sys Admin came so easily to you. Why, no female could take to it with the ease and grace of a ballerina that you showed!

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I couldn't find any studies that say that sexism is real so here's a really neat article describing gecko foot pad adhesion and how we still don't understand how it works.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0145756

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

It's a sick article though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I still can't find these articles ANYWHERE on google saying Sexism is real. Man, all I keep finding is more articles about geckos!

https://academic.oup.com/icb/article/42/6/1081/698253/Mechanisms-of-Adhesion-in-Geckos1

• Locked thread