Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
Can you provide an example of a wage gap argument that suggests it is entirely due to discrimination and/or doesn't consider possible causes and seek potential solutions?

E: I should probably clarify as a "mainstream" example as I guess anything is possible in the bizarre bits of the internet

foolish_fool fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

SpaceClown posted:

It's a lovely gossip rag website, but it's also a good example of how I always seem to see the argument brought up in the mainstream, at least.
http://www.glamour.com/story/women-professors-salaries-have-gone-up-more-than-mensbut-the-wage-gap-is-still-widening

Ok, sure, that is an example of something that doesn't go into a lot of broad detail. But for a relatively short piece it does a solid job of conveying a fair bit of information about the particular corner of the topic it relates to (even more so if you follow the links within). I don't necessarily think we should expect every piece that forms part of an ongoing conversation to be a complete stand alone thesis (nor would I expect a columnist to necessarily be qualified to produce such a thesis to start with).

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

SpaceClown posted:

tell that to the other idiots who drew out the majority of this thread explaining the backbone of the argument against the wage gap and proceeded to inject their own narrative into the thread.

The pay gap is an issue that is extremely complex. Focusing on the one small part that you yourself brought up (and then took in particularly disturbing directions) in no way suggests that many other parts don't exist.

• Locked thread