Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SpaceClown posted:

And they are usually backed by studies and surveys from reputable sources. I have nothing to refute that with, because they are all reasonable things that would indeed cause a wage gap that's not explicitly sexist.

If it creates a manifestly, materially unequal outcome it kind of is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SpaceClown posted:

but then why has it resurged as a cornerstone of feminist discourse as an example of modern discrimination?

wouldn't it be more appropriate to approach the issue asking why women are less aggressive :siren: on average :siren: in their careers? I think it's squandering an opportunity to discuss a sociological difference when it's approached the way that it's approached.

Because if society has the effect of pressuring women to behave that way, that is of concern to feminists.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SpaceClown posted:

I'm not arguing against that, I'm saying why isn't it approached in that way? Isn't it disingenuous to continue to paint it in the light of discrimination as opposed to sociological predisposition that results in less women making career choices that result in a higher pay?

Isn't it wasted potential to refuse to use it as a springboard for that dialogue? Especially when it's actually a non-sequitur?

Discrimination does not need to be intentional, or individual.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SpaceClown posted:

But apparently it is because it's resulting in more women receiving lower pay than their male counterparts because of a more common trend of less aggressive career moves. But in the mainstream, nobody is taking the opportunity to ask why that is. What are the sociological pressures causing this? Is there biological factors at play or is it strictly sociological?

Generally I would consider it rather a pointless discussion, given that I see no reason to ascribe to biology what can be explained quite handily by the very well documented concept of sexual inequality enforced by a masculine-dominated society. And even if it could be explained by biology, the need is no less strong to erase the inequality of outcome.

Plus the people who are very keen for there to be a biological explanation tend to be pretty universally, massive shitters.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SpaceClown posted:

It's not discriminatory when it's self-inflicted. There ARE women who exhibit the same aggression in their careers and make the same as their male counterparts, it's not even that terribly uncommon. It's a phenomenon of more women than men being unaggressive in their career choices and that translates to the wage gap. That's completely disingenuous to imply it's discrimination and not a sex-based trend.

Example: :iiaca:
More women than men buy X car in Y color. Is that inherently discriminatory?

But then what's gained by framing it as the result of discriminatory hiring practices?
I think it isn't a pointless discussion to talk about why there's a bigger trend of career-going women shooting themselves in the foot as opposed to men and finding out just why that is. Because otherwise there won't be a solution. The only thing that could be solved is the issues regarding maternity leave but that's not really as huge of an issue as the other two points that I brought up.

Completely agree with the bolded statement.

This starts from the assumption that the discrepancy is the result of women being born naturally whatever those qualities you believe explain the wage gap. Boldly, individually asserting their lower earning potential in the world. And that they are not primarily a result of socialization which functions to limit the achievement and freedom of women, intentional, or otherwise. I see no reason to begin with that assumption.

Further, it can be viewed in the inverse. Even if, and this is a big if, women are naturally less assertive and men moreso, why does our society prize assertiveness? Is that discrepancy in which is viewed more praiseworthy and which rewarded more highly, indicative of an unequal society? That one sex should have its naturally qualities praised while the other neglected? In either case, the solution is the same, that society must change if the circumstances of one's birth are not to determine the quality of one's life.

The source of the inequality is quite irrelevant, in either case, it is society that must change and in the same ways.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SpaceClown posted:

Because we have to look at what aggression means here.

Going into an interview with HR, the salary they pose is considered a starting point with intention of it going up. They expect you're going to argue that you're worth more than that. Not everybody does, plenty of people just take what it says. More women than men settle for that starting salary and bam. You've already started below the pay of your peers and that's only going to continue to be reflected even after promotions as your colleagues had a head start.

Then you have the 2-year trick, which once again, women have a trend of not doing. More experience, more pay. That's the biggest contributor to making above baseline salary and the fact that the trend of women not doing it exists is possibly the greatest contributor to the wage gap. Think of it like this, the business you worked at knows exactly what you did during your stint there and will compensate you with promotions. When you apply to another workplace, they don't know exactly everything you did, only whats on your resume and it boils down to them seeing "2 years of experience at this company" as opposed to "cleaned up spaghetti code" or whatever crap task you did to get a promotion. Needless to say, that generic experience counts for a whole lot more.

This is what I mean by aggression. The corporate world isn't a meritocracy, it never was and it never will be.

Working on the assumption that you believe aggression to be biologically sex linked, do you perhaps think that maybe the reason why aggression is considered a fundamental part of participation in a business and, seemingly a requisite component of fair compensation, this might have something to do with masculine over representation in those businesses, and that requiring women, which again we're positing are just naturally unfit to be aggressive for the purposes of this argument, adopt that aggressiveness or suffer, might be a bit of a clear example of sexual discrimination?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The alternative is that women are taught to be non-aggressive and thus their exclusion on those grounds simply means that the societal disenfranchisement works slightly differently.

But I have a very limited supply of good faith.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SpaceClown posted:

Because assertiveness is a pretty massive signal of self-respect? Moreover, would you try this argument as to East Asian street markets discriminating against westerners because they don't haggle? If you don't think you're worth more money than what a corporation initially suggests, they are more than happy to pay you that lesser amount. But it's expected that you argue for yourself and demonstrate that you're worth more than that figure, because they want confident talent. If you're talking about why is assertiveness in this context considered more important, it's simple; Unconfident talent simply does not produce like confident talent, and are you really surprised that a corporation would want confident talent?

That is an extremely masculine perspective and you should not attempt to universalize it. Again, perhaps this way of thinking might have something to do with masculine overrepresentation in the businesses you seem to be familiar with. I wonder if perhaps lack of assertiveness might primarily be a problem if you put it into an institution full of people who got hired and stayed on because the compensation process selects for arrogant dickheads, and not actually a problem with lack of assertiveness inherently?

SpaceClown posted:

I somewhat agree, however I have often seen answers that suggest changes like removing haggling from the hiring process or cracking down on workplace hopping neither of which are beneficial to nobody. You're just crippling people who know how to and are willing to operate in a corporate environment and forcing them to work for the crap pay their dipshit coworkers work for. That's not a solution at all, in my opinion. :colbert:

The real solution, like I have suggested I think twice before ITT, should be to identify and analyze the sociological factors that go into why these trends currently exist and how to eliminate those pressures.

Removing "haggling" from the workplace benefits everybody who doesn't currently benefit from it being expected... If you want to say it doesn't benefit you because you're good at it that is most definitely not "everybody". Yes I am actually suggesting that perhaps your compensation should be based on your contribution not on your ability to lie about your contribution. I see no reason to defend the alternative other than absolute selfishness.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hey feminists I just crowdsourced this solution to disrupt your paradigm, why don't you all just be middle class sysadmins?

You're welcome.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also spending most of my time working around non-assertive people, I have to say that aggressive people are the biggest headache in my day to day life. They're like the normal people only they're argumentative and don't listen and persist in doing things in the least productive way and wouldn't you know it they tend to get promoted.

My left leg for a world free of assertive people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SpaceClown posted:

Just wow, my dude.

Bad self-esteem isn't feminine you idiot. It's a byproduct of living in a crap society that treats you like poo poo for your genitals for sure, but it's not an inherently masculine trait to be assertive. But no, there's a masculine overrepresentation in IT because the men who work in it are loving toxic as poo poo, just like all computing fields.

I only went into it because I could do it in my sleep, all I needed was to bust my rear end for 2 semesters at community college for an assload of certifications, and it payed the rent for a lovely apartment I found when I moved out of my girlfriend's loft.

What makes you think that not being aggressive is indicative of low self esteem...? You do realise that this is probably the default state of the majority of humans? Why do you think there is something wrong with it? Have you considered that perhaps if there is a reason why non-assertive people seem to feel bad around you, you might be it?

SpaceClown posted:

:roflolmao:

Yes, forcing everybody to wear training wheels certainly does benefit the idiots who can't function without them. A good observation. However that's not a good solution at all, your real solution should be to learn why those idiots need their training wheels and how to stop them from being idiots.

Explain to me why an unwillingness to over represent one's value is "idiocy" and why relying on that rather than actual ability to contribute is the optimal way to structure society, because from where I'm sitting you're arguing that the primary condition of success should be ability to lie about one's own value, something which you, seemingly, benefit greatly from. But convince me as to why your self-confessed easily replaceable job should command a worthwhile salary if it could be done so easily by so many?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This is literally what I hear every time I read the word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I admit I expected it to take longer that two pages to go from "please send me information about wage gaps" to "women are fundamentally broken idiots who deserve to earn less if they're too beta for my techbro job"

• Locked thread