Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpaceClown posted:

Then you have the 2-year trick, which once again, women have a trend of not doing. More experience, more pay. That's the biggest contributor to making above baseline salary and the fact that the trend of women not doing it exists is possibly the greatest contributor to the wage gap. Think of it like this, the business you worked at knows exactly what you did during your stint there and will compensate you with promotions. When you apply to another workplace, they don't know exactly everything you did, only whats on your resume and it boils down to them seeing "2 years of experience at this company" as opposed to "cleaned up spaghetti code" or whatever crap task you did to get a promotion. Needless to say, that generic experience counts for a whole lot more.

This is what I mean by aggression. The corporate world isn't a meritocracy, it never was and it never will be.
what a surprise, the techie thinks there's a one-neat-trick answer based on his myopic life experience/worldview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fuckit i say we lean into this

biotruth: capitalism is a psychopathic cancerous ideology of amoral competition and accumulation. men, especially young high-T ones, are statistically more into that

edit: oh gently caress we got a boostrappin sysadmin here

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 27, 2017

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpaceClown posted:

Because assertiveness is a pretty massive signal of self-respect? Moreover, would you try this argument as to East Asian street markets discriminating against westerners because they don't haggle? If you don't think you're worth more money than what a corporation initially suggests, they are more than happy to pay you that lesser amount. But it's expected that you argue for yourself and demonstrate that you're worth more than that figure, because they want confident talent. If you're talking about why is assertiveness in this context considered more important, it's simple; Unconfident talent simply does not produce like confident talent, and are you really surprised that a corporation would want confident talent?

I somewhat agree, however I have often seen answers that suggest changes like removing haggling from the hiring process or cracking down on workplace hopping neither of which are beneficial to nobody. You're just crippling people who know how to and are willing to operate in a corporate environment and forcing them to work for the crap pay their dipshit coworkers work for. That's not a solution at all, in my opinion. :colbert:

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peven Stan posted:

I haggled my salary and got what I wanted but my parents won't because they're scared shitless white management will laugh and rescind their offer and hire a white person instead.

those cowards did not have the heart to want it hard enough, they're obviously lazy bums

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey when like 10% of us actually make it to xenforo in a few months imma thank that macro post rex

SpaceClown posted:

At this point the thread is beyond derailed and I'm just waiting on those links to be posted because that's all I came here for.

i like that our big boy sysadmin here doesn't seem to be capable of googling

• Locked thread