Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wear headphones, the mimic makes a chittering sound and you can use the direction of the sound to get a sense of where they are.

You will also find something later that will make this easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Q-Beam is really good against Weavers and Poltergeists, and you get tons and tons of ammo for it from operators. It synergizes really well with bullet time as well

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bioshock's combat and encounter design was poo poo, hth

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

The station is devoted to alien research. Just about everybody on Talos I is an unwitting guinea pig for the neuromod program, either to chart effects or capture advanced talents and skills.

As to why people don't know about the Typhon, if people knew they'd want to know why and for what purpose dangerous shapeshifting creatures are being kept alive on the station. From there, well, you'd just need the entire station to agree that human sacrifice is a-okay, then hope they don't put two and two together with regard to what exactly they're injecting directly into their brains.

Yeah, the whole Annalise Gallegos storyline basically shows why opsec is so tight in the first place

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Does the Mimic Detection Chip really not work for Greater Mimics? :ohdear: (Early-ish game spoiler)

There is an upgraded version that does what you are looking for

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Just tell me where it is. Please.

Unfortunately I think scope/suit upgrades are mostly randomized? I got it pretty late in the game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Why are these people acting like blowing up the station will stop the Typhon? They were around long before the Soviet space program encountered one and will be around long after Talos 1 is dust. Killing this particular nexus of Typhon activity won't deal with all the ones who have already scattered into other orbits, or the ones who have been floating around the system since before humanity evolved.

ENDING SPOILERS I bet the actual events were that they really blew up Talos 1 and that actually precipitated the Earth infestation

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There is some other lore about Russia invading India, I think they may be discussing the same thing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The cook went to the escape pods in the Bridge area where he has a recycler bomb trap to suicide kill you. If you disarm it he dies anyway though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If a safe has a code and belongs to a person, you can usually logically find it by looking through the person's emails or finding their body

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kurzon posted:

About Volunteer 37 I tracked him down to an escape pod below the Bridge. He lured me into the pod and tried to kill us both with a recycler grenade. Is that all there is? Is there any way to keep him alive?

No, even if you disarmed the trap it still ends basically the same way

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kurzon posted:

I'm thinking of doing a no-psi run next time. If I scrap every psi hypo I find, will that ensure me enough bullets to get by? Because ammo is really scarce on Talos I.

You can fabricate bullets pretty easily? At least on normal I ended the game with 150 shotgun shells and 300 9mm rounds after dumping into every enemy on the station

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

Question about the end of the Who Is December quest:

Was there a way to get to the escape pod besides gymnastics across the bridge with the GLOO gun? Assumed there was a switch to lower the bridge or something but never found it so I improvised. .

Yes, it's a utility on Alex's computer, I think. Or one of the computers in that building at least. Also with the mobility neuromods + jumpjets you can make the leap from the platform to the pod on your own

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh man, I guess I should have done that. I shotgunned that guy in the head and got an trophy for it, but I didn't see any way to progress things unless I went hurf durf and went along with his plan. I guess it would have also counted against the Do No Harm trophy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The developers did say that they catered to all sorts of playstyles including ones that would take months for players to come around to, I would think mimicking into rooms with no psi would be one of those :v:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kontradaz posted:

Also who only puts 3 turrets? You trying to get everyone killed? I did 6 turrets + max combat sense and I don't think they even had a chance to shoot off a bullet.

I did :shobon: No one got killed in that fight, but I felt bad because there was one guy that ended low on health, and after the security team moved to take Life Support back from Dahl, I saw his body there

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Can someone tell me what's the deal with the supposedly fake cook, Will Mitchell? Specifically what happens if you do as he wants and go inside the freezer?
I smelled a massive rat and "solved" the problem before it even happened using the stun gun but now I don't have a convenient save file to go back and check.

Spoilers for Crew Quarters The cook is actually an escaped Volunteer. If you go into the freezer you are knocked out and locked inside, where you find the body of Danielle's girlfriend and a message that lets you meet up with Danielle (this helps with the voice print lock for Deep Storage). You also get a quest to hunt the Volunteer down; he puts a bunch of Recycler Bomb traps in the Crew/Arboretum/Bridge area

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

The enemies are basically being farmed from prisoners who are condemned to be used for that purpose. It's gross as gently caress. :[ So who knows how many total they actually created, since they were clearly bad at keeping track.

Yeah the crew manifests obviously only list the actual crew, I assume all of the enemies come from the prisoners locked up in some section of Psychotronics, which is probably also where the outbreak started

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You can also taze them

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well I just watched the sub-8 minute speedrun. Man, the game isn't even two weeks old. What people can do is impressive

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Palpek posted:

Her initial reaction is what you describe. She calls you later on during the game though, maybe you're not far enough yet.

This was the one quest in the game where I was like, "Oh man, Prey, you are really stretching the limits of this silent protagonist thing."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

RatHat posted:

In Psychotronics is it possible to get inside the containment room with the weaver?

Yes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Zebrasectomy posted:

I'm trying not to kill any humans as I figure this may effect the ending or at least get me an achievement, but I just remotely blew up a ship on its way to Seattle thinking there might be some typhoid's on it.... Did I just ruin my no kill streak? Does this effect the ending/achievements at all?

I did what you did and received both the no kills and max empathy achievements

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I beat it on the PS4 and didn't have any issues. I didn't play the demo though so I can't compare

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The metaphor works pretty well, including the part where the company extracts value from "Volunteers" with experimental programs for greater profit while half the budget is spent in the Hardware Labs

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

GLOO is really plentiful. I never crafted any ammo for it and ended the game with nearly 2000 rounds

lalaland posted:

Ah cool don't have those psi powers yet

Combat Perception uses psi power. I went with human-only and I really dug that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

the black husserl posted:

I see what you're saying but it just doesn't all add up. I think that's more to do with the game being vague, having a minor plot hole or something being hidden than your analysis being flawed.

Alex's goal is to preserve the Typhon so he can continue his evil (but in his opinion, justified) experiments. Everything he says implies that activating the Nullwave device he gives you will subdue and defeat the Typhon, but won't destroy them. If you saved Doctor Igwe, he confirms this as well. Remember that all the Neuromods are Typhons - why would Alex ask you to save his life's work and research and then give you the plans to a device that would destroy it all? That's why Mikhaila (if you saved her) passionately argues for you to blow up the station - it's the only way to actually kill the Typhon instead of preserving and trying to control them (again).

The October Transcribe seems to reveal a third option: kill the Typhon for real but also keep the station intact. I'm not sure why that matters so much since Talos is really just a floating pile of metal without the Typhon experiments, but I guess it would be cleaner and you'd save the lives of the unconscious crew members who couldn't make it to the escape shuttle.

Also it's really weird they would introduce two mysterious "directors" (January and December) and imply the existence of a third (October) but not actually put that character in the game. I felt like I had cracked a major code when I found that transcribe but it's looking more and more like a dangling thread.

It's not really dangling. Alex's plan and October's plan are one-to-one congruent. October's plan is also congruent with one version of Morgan's (From the Morgan Transcribe). The big things that October is cementing is 1. Alex's plan is actually something that came from Morgan; 2. Morgan's personality shifts from repeated neuromod extraction. Each operator was created by a different version of Morgan. There are many other elements in the game which point to Morgan actually being the one pushing for more brutal and exploitative Typhon research, and Alex is just trying to honor the wishes of what seems to be the "real" Morgan in his eyes

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

bewilderment posted:

The super-jump and super-sprint was the first Neuromod tree I maxed out and I'm glad I did because it means in a combat scenario you can pretend it's Doom.

This plus the jump-jet suit upgrade that lets you actually boost up are totally game-changers

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The thing is that Bethesda's anti-reviewer and anti-consumer marketing policies are fine for their Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, which sell themselves, and to a much wider audience that doesn't care about the same gameplay elements that most "core" gamers look for. I remember reading a rather convincing post that the Nvidia gameplay style, which works well for people who are buying video cards and know their PC shooters, would actually be a turnoff to a broader audience who couldn't handle the pace. Doom probably got a boost in sales even with that kneecapping just because Doom is a brand with a huge built-in loyal following that keeps their ear to the ground anyway. Prey, on the other hand...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just thought it was my total lack of body sense in zero-g when you have six degrees of freedom, glad it wasn't just me having problems

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Digirat posted:

The hacking mini game is not great but at least you don't have to play it every 30 seconds like in pipedreamshock

Prey also doesn't do the dumb thing the new deus ex games do either, where they make hacking something objectively better than just using the code/password you found, which means the mini game is old before you're even through the third level

I love that the design of this game does not encourage double-dipping for max efficiency, that was one of the many things that really messed me up in DXHR. Oh, you stealthed past those guys? Here's some XP, now you can go back and kill them for more XP. Oh, you found a secret passage through the vents? Here's some XP, now go back and hack the door for more XP

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'd pay a few bucks for a Pre-Disaster Talos DLC.

So, Tacoma

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

RatHat posted:

Speaking of this, is there anyway to stop it? If so, what happens?

Yes, you can disarm traps, which might require Repair skills. He just keeps laughing and dies... of natural causes, I guess

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rookersh posted:

He was arrested for helping kids leave abusive families in Russia by helping them escape to the US. Read his actual file.

I liked how that decision plays out in the game, especially considering what the game's core plot and themes end up being

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

a kitten posted:

This game rules, even if every time i turn around i seem to have triggered some new questline. (this isn't a bad thing, but jeez lemme pare the log down a little!)

I have a question about stuff in the Cargo Area

I'm supposed to set up some turrets to help these people out and 1) where do i put them? I tried to set them behind those barriers and on boxes and stuff but it appears not to count since nothing changed with any NPCs. and 2) when i turn them on are they all just going to turn on me since i uh have been jamming like every Typhon mod possible into my brain. Is there a way to avoid that? I'd like to save these people if i can.

1. They need to be set up in the blue box by the door.
2. You can hack the turrets ahead of time to prevent them from shooting you

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There are a bunch of safes whose keypads are broken and the only way to open them is with hacking. Sure, it's usually just weapon upgrade kits or grenades but I think out of the "unlocking" skills, Hacking has the most exclusive locks. Repair has a couple and I think there is one room that is mimic-only

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Reployers are the key to beating the mimic invasion

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also most of the audio logs are voice mails or recordings of meetings, which helped with the verisimilitude as opposed to "Everyone keeps an audio diary to monologue into"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

HATECUBE posted:

i just got hack on my 2nd play and yea there is a cost for failing but not the same time-based cost of reading a monitor in combat, p hosed up actually. ss1 hacking felt like you were actually loving with something, and cyberspace was unique on a whole different level. i just learned that repair in prey is hold a button to do X...

but in that light, how bad was elder scrolls lockpicking? i hated that poo poo

It was slightly less tedious than Speechcraft, the dumbest RPG minigame in the history of the medium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The stun disruptor is exceptionally good at dealing with Technopaths