Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, I don't think there's another way in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Truecon420 posted:

When do ya get the first recycler grenade? I've cleared the lobby and starting area
In the next area.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I just discovered that after looting a typhon corpse you can additionally recycle grenade it for even more exotic material.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

There's also a System Shock 1 remake in the works by a different team.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I think people who miss that it's the thermos must have not realized that you can watch the scene from different screens.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I think it was fixed in the patch. Before the patch I was getting the same ammount of ammo when crafting the gun as when crafting the ammo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Josh Dalton, you rear end in a top hat!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Are there any hidden things to see in Talos exterior that aren't quest goals?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I finished the game.

Everybody survived which I was surprised with. I managed to somehow do all the sidequests except for the 2 treasure hunts, solved the cook quest, met Danielle as well.

I did both endings where you destroy the station and activate the nullwave and then the couple permutations where you manage to escape(using Alex's private escape pod) / die and then shake Alex's hand/kill them all. It was cool that presumably because I focused on typhon powers Morgan's body was completely made of typhon. I imagine that with a human powers-only walkthrough Morgan's body would be human (maybe). Also for the first ending I didn't go to the power plant and straight for the null-wave device and Alex+January had a completely different dialogue at a different place at the bridge than when for the second ending I went to the power plant first. There were different crew dialogues as well...loving neat. Definitely the right lessons taken from Dishonored.

IMO the ending was...ok. I felt that it was mainly lacking in exposition as after that whole final sequence there should have really been something more meaty there. Even if it would have been done in-engine or something - a 2 second view of an explotion doesn't cut it so I get some people's frustration. The after-credits scene is there of course but it already takes you out of the game so there should have been some more umph to the main story. When it comes to the idea itself I don't see a problem - I thought it was within the confines of the narrative created by the game. Certainly it's not bad to the point that some reviewers felt it was necessary to point out how bad the ending is before people even play, imo.

Overall this is a kick-rear end game. The gameplay variety is great, in the end I just kept machine-minding and mind-jacking enemies against each other and watched them fight. To me the strongest story beats were the side-quests - especially piecing together Danielle's story from various e-mails, audiologs and activities which was a little Gone Home within the game. Some of the stories are so interwined and conclude in such different places and times in the game and are told by telling, showing and hinting that it's really impressive on the scale of the entire gaming medium.

For example you read some e-mails and listen to audiologs about people planning to hide in cargo containers, then way later you find bodies in some of those that didn't make it and then waaay later you save a guy floating in a container outside the station who turns out to be an important NPC. This is really difficult to do and this game is flooded with stuff like that, hats off to Arkane for all this detail and nuance. The station feels actually lived-in, for real this time, really real. I loved that saving crew members opened up entire storylines and quests involving them and when you saved for example both Igwe and Mikhaila they had actually meaningful discussions with one another.

Also outside of doing something outlandish for the secret ending I can imagine it being something like going pure human and at the same time killing no typhons and saving everybody. I don't see that taking months though so it's probably wrong.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 14, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

That's cool, I imagine that abilities previously luckluster become useful when you have to resign from half of them. It's great that they somewhat made it possible.

Also somebody should capture those little intermission (memory) cutscenes and post them frame-by-frame. I swear that I've seen some interesting stuff there like a planet/moon exploding but it's hard to tell or remember when it's just a millisecond.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also anybody entered that I.T. department's stash?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I liked that some benches in Arboretum have plaques and one of them is in the memory of JFK and he lived like a hundred years (I don't remember exactly though).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lakbay posted:

Someone mentioned it earlier but apparently the IT department's locked room is a debug room for the devs where they keep NPCs who aren't supposed to spawn yet in there so you have no legit way of getting in there
Haha that's funny but nah.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

n4 posted:

It seems true though. Polygon has a clip of what's inside, and these NPCs won't show up otherwise unless you get the specific Dahl quest.
Ah ok so from what I'm reading you can in fact legit get there. The room opens up in that one quest and is available to the player. Which is something I can understand unlike a debug room in plain sight that simply wouldn't let you go in without cheating.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Iron Rose posted:

It does more damage than the normal pistol and is better in every way, it just doesn't come with any upgrades.
Fully upgraded normal pistol does more damage than fully upgraded golden gun though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

DancingShade posted:

I had a fully upgraded normal pistol when I found the golden gun and once I found more weapon upgrade kits the golden pistol was superior in every way. Massively so.

:shrug:
Hmm, weird. I must have looked at the stats wrong or something but I swear I took the time to compare them. I'll check in my game again today when I get the chance.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Rabid Snake posted:

Does your actions matter at the Bridge where you decide what to do with the shuttle that's heading to Seattle? I destroyed it but nothing came up at the end about my decision. It seemed like another one of those trolley "Do you push the button to divert the train to save a lot of people but kill few in the process" questions from the beginning. I was hoping for a bigger payoff
It doesn't matter. It doesn't even spoil the kill-no-humans achievement if you destroy the shuttle. It's basically another test.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I just thought about a thing - is the ending any different if you trigger the self-destruct mechanism and THEN on top of that turn the nullwave device on?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ambaire posted:

Not possible. Triggering the self destruct fails the other quest and disables the console for activating it. I'd forgotten I had a save at the bridge with both pre-objectives completed.. useful, though.
Ah, ok. Then it was the game's clunkiness that after I turned the self-destruct on, Elazar called Morgan to tell him that she'll kill him if he goes for the nullwave. Another example of a similiar thing was the 'with this ring' sidequest - I came back to tell the guy that his wife is dead, he griefed but then the first thing he said after the quest finished was 'maybe I could get to the crew quarters and see if my wife is ok'.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 15, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

DancingShade posted:

It was a pretty great (by which I mean dark and extremely awkward) moment when you listen to the recording of yourself overseeing the very experiment that killed your ex love interest's father
(assuming I haven't got the various characters mixed up)

I hit the delete recording button without a second thought and walked out of deep storage whistling innocently.
Well, let me tell you that it gets even more awkward when you send it to her because she insists that it would be a great bonding moment if you listened to it together! I actually think that this quest would have been more powerful if there was no option to play the audio file on your own. Dr. Igwe already warns you that you were involved so it should be a choice between deleting it blind and never knowing what happened in detail or risking sending it in order to hear the truth.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 15, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, I did the same. That entire questline is great and really goes to the deep end of what kind of monstrosities were done to 'volunteers' on the station. The conversations between Mikhaila and Igwe are also worth a listen because it's insane how desensitized the guy is and then you discover that the original Morgan was pretty ok with it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

That's easy - just go listen to the helicopter intro song a few times and get addicted to that one instead.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's hard to tell what to count as a seperate ending honestly. For example there's also a different cinematic when you trigger the self-destruct mechanism and stay on the station vs trigger the mechanism and escape. But is that a separate ending? I don't think so.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also I love the secret achievement for one of the endings: Awkward Ride Home. Where you kill everybody except for Dahl and escape with him piloting the shuttle. I didn't go for that one but the name is perfect.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Her initial reaction is what you describe. She calls you later on during the game though, maybe you're not far enough yet.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ambaire posted:

That's a thing? I heard that 'ending' was actually a trap and Dahl would try to kill you anyway.
Not if you brainwash Dahl first. This requires keeping Igwe alive for the procedure and only then killing him. This way Dahl doesn't remember his mission and pilots the shuttle.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This was the one quest in the game where I was like, "Oh man, Prey, you are really stretching the limits of this silent protagonist thing."
I was actually going to separately post about it but this game might have the best legit story explanation for (ending spoiler) having a silent protagonist yet.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Quinton posted:

Initially I listened to the recording and decided that Mika deserved to know the truth, that the Morgan who oversaw that was a different Morgan... she did not take it well.

I did get an achievement for it:
Self-Incriminating - You found out what happened to Mikhaila's father and let her know.

Which makes me wonder:
1. Is there a *different* one for sharing it with her *without* listening first
2. What ending remarks does she make, post-credits?
I actually finished the game on a save where I deleted the recording after listening to it, and Mika-Operator says "It also found my father's records. But then... deleted them. I don't know what that means. It's selfish? Afraid? At least that's a human sentiment, no?"

If you're on the search for achievements linked to that quest you should know that sending her the tape is one of the required actions for the "I and Thou" achievement given for playing the game in the most empathic way.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Pistol is crazy effective against the Nightmare. Also I found the sounds made by Nightmares hilarious. Something between a bark and a chirp - a big bad monster aren't you? *BARG* *BARG* *BAAAARG*

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Shotgun will still be more effective at short range and also pistol's ammo melts way faster than you think because it's more about shooting a lot of bullets in a short time period than actual firepower.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Another record (obviously ending spoilers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_f0T4ItPMs

One thing that I'm impressed with is that the intro sequenece actually takes place on the station level and doesn't happen in a separate map or something which lets this speedrun even be possible.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

BitterAvatar posted:

Just started playing last night, but are volume levels all over the place for people? Left everything at default and weapons are super quiet, but any dialogue IS BEING SCREAMED AT ME AT ALL TIMES.
Sound mixing is the one thing that really loving sucks in this game. Ok and also hacking but at least hacking isn't broken.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Thoughtless posted:

Okay, use more environmental objects, got it.

I haven't found a shotgun yet.
Then you're not far into upgrading weapons either. Damage upgrades are a must. Where you're at your best bet is probably still glooing things and wrenching them to death. Also pick up gas canisters and throw them at enemies - they explode on impact.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

uber_stoat posted:

this has probably come up already but... can you save Danielle Sho? the message I got from her suggested she was gonna die, but is it possible to find her?
Yes but it's probably different than what you expect, you need to do a side-quest for that though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Anyway, the entire game is a metaphor for Steam, right? Gabe "Alex" Newell plays with fire and gets his "space station" infected with awful games?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Do spare parts recycle into synthetic material? If so then theoretically Dismantle would be a pretty great skill for ammo/neuromod fabrication. Especially during the endgame with all those operators flying around

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Not really, they don't make much of a difference except that the shotgun looks cooler than the default one (and you can get the default one eariler in the same area if you poke around).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

KakerMix posted:

You do get 3? free neuromods too though, which isn't that big of a deal in the whole game but quite the boost at the beginning.
Yeah, you get some extra stuff but it doesn't break the game or something to the point of deleting the DLC asap. I felt it was actually a welcome little bonus at that point in the game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

My favorite one was the little pond under the waterfall in Arboretum - all 3 floating lilies were mimics and the pond itself was a screen with a room under it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Does a no-neuromod run offer a different ending?