Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Wafflecopper posted:

This has nothing to do with the first Prey
I'm actually disappointed there was not even an easter egg hinting to the previous game. Jeez one email mentioning Tony woudln't kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Bust Rodd posted:

My job consists of my sitting in a tiny office watching people try to escape death traps all day and

3Romeo posted:

Grenfell landlord?
Sweet Jesus.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I started playing SOMA and something tells me some people itt would definitely enjoy this game. No combat or stuff like that but exploring a weird sci-fi base and its workings/computers in a horror atmosphere (and it's more System Shock-y in that regard than Prey) hits some similar enjoyment buttons for me.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Rinkles posted:

Shooting a stun gun at a monitor to reactivate it strikes me as bordering on adventure game logic, rather than an example of sophisticated simulation building.
Eh, considering that the stun gun looks like a Doctor Who weapon and zaps things with insane range it's not that far away from it imo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I think that's something the game actually lacks a bit - any positive sides of Typhon, any relatable agenda or goals Typhon might have. Even Caesar's Legion in Fallount: NV had a vision of the future that they considered more beneficial for humanity. Typhon exists only to destroy everything, to consume all humans. It's basically an extreme form of a horrific disease that hits incredibly fast and is insanely contagious. There's really nothing to side with here unless your starting moral stance was 'gently caress humanity and kill everybody' in which case there was nothing to ponder about to begin with.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I guess if we assume that Typhon really is only about destruction, then killing everybody in the end is a legitimate ending. In that case it's not about the moral choice of destroying humanity or not though but rather about defining what Typhon actually is. The player choice then answers the question on whether Typhon is in fact a blind disease or - in case of choosing to cooperate with humans - if its empathy opens the door to it having an actual agenda that we just haven't uncovered yet.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I don't agree with that comparison because it hasn't been shown that the Typhon actually needs to eat humans to survive. That's why predators do what they do - they'd die otherwise, that's their motivation. If Typhon felt no choice and instinctively fed off people like lions do then that kind of choice would actually be clear - do you save humans at the cost of Typhon dying or not? But that's not what we're shown in the game. As far as the scientific research on the station is concerned - Typhon may survive an indefinite ammount of time with no humans to consume at all. It's more akin to a biological weapon similar to the ideas from Prometheus.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I think my overall point is that the whole thing is part of a food chain. Whether it's a necessary one for the Typhon or not, they're here to eat us, not to destroy us. It's not like they're just a force of nature that smashes consciousness. They consume consciousness and use it to reproduce.
They create, they don't destroy. Of course, their creation necessitates some destruction, but that's how life works for carnivores.

I'm not sure what's even being argued here anymore. What I wrote was that the final player choice whether to kill humans or not has a weight to it that has more to do with defining what Typhon IS and not with whether humanity deserves to die or not.

Then you didn't like one part of that idea and argued that Typhon doesn't only exist to destroy humans, it needs them in order to survive and what Alex is doing with the simulation is like trying to switch a conscious human from eating burgers to eating vegetables. So I argued that this comparison is flawed becasue consuming humans is not the same as eating food for Typhon at all, it doesn't need to consume humans to survive. Now you argue that ok it's not eating but it's thriving etc.

Uhhh, but how does it all matter? Let's go back to the original argument for a minute. What would Typhon thrive on if not on human consciousness? What's the alternative here? What would triggering empathy in Typhon achieve in this scenario? It doesn't seem like there's an equivalent of vegetables here. Or is the end goal to make Typhon feel sorry for humans and stop with all that thriving? Go thrive somewhere else? That's the reason it just doesn't make sense to me to define Typhon in these categories.

It makes more sense imo that with that final choice the player defines Typhon as either: a weapon/disease existing only to destroy humans where the multiplication of Typhon is comparable to a chain reaction designed to kill even more humans rather than a species reproduction (if you choose to kill humans) OR some sort of alien race the workings of which are still beyond human comprehension but with a possibility of estabilishing a plane of communication with where human death is a process that isn't biologically necessary so a possibility to have Typhon choose not to do it exists (if you choose to cooperate).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

aniviron posted:

I might be misremembering this but I also seem to recall that someone in the game says the coral in part has the same neural patterns as the people who were eaten to make it. That would mean that in a fairly real sense, they're not dead, but absorbed. I find that fascinating, and between the coral and the evidence for Typhon sapience I think there's at least a choice to be made there rather than just "do you want to be bad." The fact that the Typhon are so enigmatic and hostile means most players will and probably should choose the ending that sides with Alex; I didn't because I find the Typhon quite interesting, and because I am a cranky old misanthrope.
My intepretation is that humans aren't absorbed but that their neural activity is simply a resource for Typhon but the way this resource is stored and used just isn't really compatible with our current state of knowledge (the same as Typhon's ability to control minds or turn into objects).

That's why phantoms still talk using voices of their "hosts" - they're just bits of neural activity firing off into the void like an octopus's cut off tentacle wiggling around when salt is applied to it.

Those visions do seem like a sign of consciousness though, I agree.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

People who enjoy the theme of impossible communication with an alien race because of how limited human experience and imagination of such an interaction is would probably enjoy sci-fi books from Lem. Solaris is a big recommendation in that regard - it actually shares many themes with this game. It helps that Lem was one of the best and most intelligent sci-fi authors ever.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Cojawfee posted:

I beat the game, I didn't get the full effect, since unwantedplatypus blurted out the ending without spoiler tags earlier in the thread. It was still pretty cool though. Kind of want to play it some more over the next few months to get some more achievements.
Please report people who post untagged spoilers, they will be punished.

unwantedplatypus posted:

I mean, if you don't want spoilers then don't read the thread.
No, many great games that fly under people's radar find their audiences thanks to threads on the forums. This is one of those games, don't post spoilers. It's also a game where player choice matters and much of its equipment/side-content is optional so of course people want to discuss these things with others while their playthroughs are still ongoing.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 30, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The original Prey was ok. The new one definitely suffered from having that name though but mainly because it's a weak brand that says nothing about the game to people that would be interested in it and can only piss off people who actually liked the original. The marketing for this game was an utter shitshow.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, that billboard was great for another reason too: it's the first thing you see through the window when you get to the proper space station and and only later in the game you discover that you can actually get to it when you're outside. It made the impression of the size of the game that much better.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

All that new players should remember is that if you face a problem ask yourself "what would GLOO cannon do?". You tend to forget that the weapon exists as it's not aggressive enough in comparison to others but it's insane how many different little uses for it the devs thought of.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It also does other stuff like letting you make paths on electrified floors, it triggers cystoids to explode, it will stop various machines from working like ventilators, turrets or operator dispensers, it will stop radiation. It makes a great combo when used with turrets - freeze incoming enemies while your turrets do the damage to them to save your gun ammo. You can also block doorways with it to set traps etc.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Remember that you can also recycle those heavy objects blocking various entrances, you don't have to be able to lift them.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I don’t think that’s actually true. The only way to get rid of leaking radiation canisters I know of is to recycle them
Hmm, I thought I remember it working but I guess I was wrong, oh well.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It turns out you were the ployer all along.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Oh poo poo, I saw a Prey patch download and only realized the DLC dropped. Time to come back to this.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

About the ending. The reason why 'it was all a dream' trope is criticized is that the plot becomes void because of it at the end. It's usually used as a lazy way to end a story where the protegonist wakes up and finds himself back to square one, nothing happened.

But you can tell that they wanted Prey to specifically address that issue and imo they succeeded. What you experienced happened in the past, it was a simulation showing the sequence of real events with some room left to influence the outcomes and for you to react freely. There were consequences to the story and the choice you make at the end absolutely needs the protagonist to have gone through the simulated past events. If I tried to pinpoint the specific writing trope I'd argue that what the game uses is more of a giant flashback sequence rather than 'it was all a dream' because of how the writers addressed the problems with it.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 9, 2019

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I know the game's been out for ages, but most people in the thread are still using spoiler tags out of courtesy for new players who can wander in.
Yeah, you're right, I edited my post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Deathloop plays literally like Dishonored in a new universe and with a few conceptual twists. It even uses a lot of Dishonored's assets and powers. The only thing it has in common with Prey is that you get an arsenal of guns and that it has an overarching storytelling concept.