Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I've had endings where January zaps your brother, and others where he destoys January, right before the final choice. Does anyone know what determines that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Floodixor posted:

Rad, thank you. I also noticed Dishonored is by Arkane Studios and they can't do wrong in my eyes after Prey. I'll give it a shot here. Anyone else who has suggestions, as well, please let me know!

Dishonored is a great series, just make sure you don't miss out on the DLC. You'll want to play Dishonored, Knife of Dunwall, Brigmore Witches, Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider. Don't sweat the Chaos system. In many ways, I find high chaos to be a more natural and satisfying conclusion to the whole 'Count of Monte Cristo' setup of the first game.

Also, Arkane did some minor work on Bioshock 2; opinions on that game are deservedly mixed, but it has the best gameplay of the entire Bioshock series, and the Minerva's Den DLC distills all the best parts into a memorable self-contained little story. In fact, if you're coming from Prey and want a similar experience, you could get Bioshock 2 just for Minerva's Den. Play the main game afterwards if you like. Don't bother with Bioshock Infinite.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 14, 2020

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Floodixor posted:

Are there any recommendations for a character build in Dishonored 1, anyway? I don't want to dump runes into garbage. And I'm playing lethal stealth.

The abilities are pretty self-explanatory. For your playstyle, you probably don't need Vitality, Blood Thirsty, Devouring Swarm or Windblast; the latter two are fun if you want to be flashy, though. Possession is very fun to use for stealth. Upgrading Blink and Agility is never wrong. If you don't want to hide bodies, Shadow Kill saves a lot of time, but you don't need to upgrade it. I'm not a fan of Dark Vision, as you're missing out on the art direction when you use it, but it's obviously pretty useful. Bend Time makes everything a little too easy.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

In Dishonored, I KO'd every person at lady Boyles party,

When I play that mission, I reenact the Masque of the Red Death, only it's the Rat Death instead.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

FYI, at least in D2, they aren't just flavor lines. Certain guards' deaths cause less chaos than others.

The letdown about this is, which are which is scrambled every time you reload the game.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

honestly try BS2, it plays much more like a shooter than BS1 and is better for it

Seconding this. You could go straight to the Minerva's Den DLC, which is the peak of the Bioshock series.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Unitologists were there from the jump. You don't bring in Garth Ennis to go for subtlety

Warren Ellis.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Dramatika posted:

What are some other 0451 games to play?
Bioshock 2: Never played, have a copy of remastered though.
Dishonored: Death of the Outsider - I bought this on release and haven't played it yet.
Thief (originals) - these did not age well, tried playing them but it's hard after the above. I remember loving the demo of Thief one back when I was young though.

So looking at this, I should probably do Death of the Outsider and then maybe Bioshock 2?

I think your copy of Bioshock 2 should come with Minerva's Den, that's a great short 0451 package, boiled down to the essentials. If you enjoy the gameplay of that, you can play the main game too. Death of the Outsider is also absolutely worth playing. The final level has a super-cool and super-creepy atmosphere and it's got a fantastic bank heist mission.

I only played the original Thief games back in the late 00's, sometime in between Bioshock and DXHR. How long ago was it that you tried playing them? Thief plays basically like non-lethal powerless Dishonored. I had a great time with these games, but you shouldn't force yourself to play them if they don't click for you.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

itry posted:

... how deep would you say?

You could see its tonsils.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

That was super cool, thanks for the link. I knew about The Crossing, but LMNO and Ravenholm especially were a great glance into more never-published Arkane projects.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
If you bounced off of Bioshock 2, give the Minerva's Den DLC a try before you move on completely. It's a short, self-contained and poignant story that condenses all the best parts of Bioshock 2 into only a few hours of gameplay. And 2 has the best gameplay of the entire Bioshock series.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
You do know that a complete remaster of the Mass Effect trilogy is being released in a couple of months, right?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I've decided to replay Prey and knock out a few remaining achievements before Deathloop gets released, does anyone have tips for a no neuromod run? I'm not looking forward to the limited inventory space, but it might keep the survival horror atmosphere going for longer.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I usually don't like to sequence-break, but I'll make an exception for the no neuromods run. I also plan to use a ton of lures and recycle grenades.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 27, 2021

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Serephina posted:

Wen you say sequence-break, do you mean like using Gloo to glitch-clip your way through the elevator in lobby, or do you mean just getting a lot of vertical movement to avoid areas?

Nah, I'm talking about getting the ARTX v2 chipset off Grant Lockwood's body in the first place. It's so far out that you wouldn't find it by normal exploration, but to activate his tracking bracelet you need to reach Deep Storage and advance the plot there to progress.

The way I normally play, I'd have already cleared 90% of the station by then.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Zerilan posted:

Just got gifted this game. Anything really useful to know character build wise (like any bad trap options or anything that will lock me out of poo poo)?

Some people in the past had the opinion that Necropsy isn't worth it. I completely disagree. Prey has a crafting system with four resources, and you can recycle anything you find to break it down into components. One of the things you can eventually craft is Neuromods, a.k.a. skill upgrades. Those need a lot of exotic materials, which Necropsy gets you more of.

Others have had the experience that you have plenty of exotic materials, and minerals are the bottleneck. That seems to only be the case if you craft lots of ammo and/or don't scavenge everything that isn't nailed down.

Either way, Materials Expert is another ability that's worth getting early.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
One more thing that's probably good to know is that you need to follow the main plot until you pick up the Psychoscope to fully unlock your skill trees. If you're the kind of player who explores all available side areas before moving on, you risk depriving yourself of a ton of fun abilities you could have gotten much sooner.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Why be doomguy when you can be glooguy?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I think Dahl turning the gravity back on in the GUTS if you go there without turning off your tracking armband is my favorite detail in the game.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Oh that is cool. Is it totally impassable of that happens?

It switches between microgravity and normal gravity every ~30 seconds and you get a warning announcement. All the loose debris falls to the bottom the first time it happens. Traveling downwards, i.e. from Arboretum to the Shuttle Bay, is easy enough, as you can always use your jets for an easy landing. I never knew this could happen in my first playthrough.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Really struggling figuring out how to get inside the locked room in the lobby security office without hacking, though.

I think there's a sticky note with the code next to the computer in the same place.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Ok, you're talking about the code for the holding cell in the security office in the lobby, right? Where the first shotgun is? There's a sticky note on the lamp to the right of Elazar's computer.

If it's not there, something has bugged out and you might as well look up the code.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I just love the EVA atmosphere in Prey. Exploring the outside, floating around in a pitch-black forest of girders and struts inside the shell of solar panels, never quite sure when you might run into a telepath or technopath. Are there any other games with a similar experience? Subnautica, maybe?

I've found four places where you can get inside the station and find neuromods in hidden supply caches with a few other items. Maybe they're possible locations for Kaspar to hole up, but they're completely optional, otherwise.

-On top of the Hardware Labs
-On top of the Neuromod Division
-Underneath the Shuttle Bay
-At a bottom corner of Deep Storage

And a few more minor supply caches scattered around.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
So, I finished up my last few achievements in the main game, and finally started Mooncrash. I'm only on the second mission, but I'm very impressed about both the gameplay refinements and the radical new direction. If Deathloop plays like this, I'm super pumped.

Arkane has a really good track record with DLC that refines and improves upon the base game.

Also, I found the neuromod blueprint with the first character, and the time loop blueprint with the second. I'm so going to break this game.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

I'm into Deep Storage and still don't have any Typhon mods. Friendship ended with Coral, Turret is my new best friend.

If you didn't know already, you can get two Typhon mods before turrets consider you a threat. Unless you plan to play the game multiple times and really care about achievements, you don't need to stay completely human.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Are you talking about Atmosphere Control, or some place in the GUTS?

If it's the former, there's a terminal to shut down the fans and you can simply go in and remove the obstruction before they restart.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
In case anyone is getting their Arkane news primarily from this thread, their new game Redfall has been announced. Open-world coop or solo vampire hunting reminiscent of Left 4 Dead and Borderlands.

https://youtu.be/9T_nBy78Ofw

I'm... not excited.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Serephina posted:

I just finished unlocking the fourth character (mister shotgun), and was wondering what are some tips to help that you might wanted to have told yourself in hindsight? Should I be dumping excess crafting gear in the crater as I go to escape with a character? Opening runs with the mechanic to leave behind a trail of fixed things? Meticulously check each area at each hazard level to see what new human corpses spawn? I'm currently gearing up with about 5-7k worth of toys per run and have 80k banked, I kinda have a feeling I'll be needing that bank for control modules instead of splurging on neuromods, right?

As you complete objectives, you should pretty soon unlock the mule operator, if you haven't already. It serves as a shared inventory for all characters in your current simulation. You're correct that there's no point to carry items with you when you escape with a character. Just dump them before you make your exit, if you have more than the mule can carry.

Starting with the engineer to repair anything that's broken is generally the most optimal way to play, but mix things up for a challenge if that's getting stale for you. It's not just her ability to repair things, but that she's the only character with a large inventory. I'd also recommend that you stay below the threshold of Typhon neuromods with the engineer and custodian, so you can get some use out of turrets without having to do the hacking minigame. Speaking of that, in hindsight getting a mod to bypass hacking entirely might not be a bad idea, if you enjoy it as little as I did.

With a few exceptions, most bodies are static, and the rising corruption level will only spawn enemies, the items in the world stay the same. You can use a security console to find any bodies you've missed, the hidden ones usually have good item stashes.

I used to go heavy on the neuromods, and light on equipment when spending credits. I usually take the jetpack, neuroscope and a few chipsets, and loot the rest of my gear from the level.

It's fairly pointless to enter an area when there's no power; the security guy can open most unpowered doors with Leverage 3, but you usually won't be able to finish your objectives in an area when there's no power, and some doors can't be opened at all.

Major enemies all carry time loop items, so consider them loot pinatas. It is really, really easy to stay locked on a corruption level for as long as you like once you can craft them, but that's a pretty unfun way to play.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
He can drift into a corner, but there should be a security station in the area you can use to mark him as an objective. If you have enough hacking, you can also shut down the sphere for a longer time to find him.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The Nightmare is generally on a timer and will spawn when you change between areas if the countdown has reached zero, but it also has a significant chance to instantly spawn in your current area when you spend Neuromods. I'm not quite sure if that only applies to Typhon powers, or if they only increase that chance.

And yeah, a bunch of the achievements in Prey can actively hurt your immersion, if you get hung up on trying to collect them all. No Powers and Typhon Only are a slog, because of the limited inventory space.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Serephina posted:

That suicidal guy had a poison capsule in his mouth, I thought there was dialogue about that but maybe not.

That's some bullshit someone made up and put on the wiki. I think the implication was he ran into a Typhon on the way to the pod and was severely injured.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There's one thing I took advantage of in my last Preythrough that might be worth sharing:

When you're spacewalking outside of the station, you can find exactly one turret with the technopath in the executive suites. If you hack/repair/upgrade it and keep it with you, that makes clearing the outside areas of weavers, cystoids and corrupted operators a breeze.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I've been playing it quite a bit, so there's two design choices about the difficulty you should be aware of: First, it has adaptive difficulty and starts out with an extremely oblivious and easy AI. As you progress the main story line, they become tougher and more attentive, but never really great. I think it has some 4 or 5 levels, and if you die and respawn, or get looped completely, it eases off again.

Second, everything about the Eternalist mooks is balanced for the 1v1 PvP mode. If they were more of a threat and obstacle, or more perceptive, a skilled Julianna player would have an easy time trouncing Colt with their backup. Their main function is to call Colt's presence to your attention if he goes loud, serve as minor obstacles and trail of breadcrumbs when Colt eliminates them silently, or turn ghosting into a legitimate fun way to play PvP, so Julianna cannot tell where you've been by noticing any missing enemies.

Playing only single player mode will never be a challenge, and mostly serves to learn the map layouts, but if you turn invasions on, you have a sort of 1v1 stealth Left 4 Dead. I've been enjoying it immensely, and I usually don't have any interest in competitive multiplayer.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Mooncrash definitely has a lot of rough edges, such as the infinitely craftable loop delay item, and the player power scaling.

Deathloop makes a few too many compromises for its 1v1 mode, such as the braindead AI, but it's much more polished.

I absolutely respect the attempt to create a multi-player immersive sim, even if the result falls short.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It's more like, they were originally intended to be in the game, but were cut for time. I don't think there bad, but they're not as well integrated as they could have been, and I think the crafting recipes for the various cure items are not distributed very well. I usually had to find a med-bot to get rid of them, but then again, actually sustaining injuries was also fairly rare.

As long as you upgrade your inventory, I don't think it's a bad idea to play with them included.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Not having checkpoints or saves kicked me right in the dick because I could play for like 30 minutes, have to do something else, then have to play the same 30 minutes again because why won’t you let me at least save and quit you idiot hellfuckers

I’m still in the first loop and walked off. The game isn’t bad but not being able to walk away when I have to killed it.

I get what you're saying, but Deathloop is explicitly designed in a way that things that took you 30 minutes the first time around can be accomplished in 10, 5 or 3 minutes as you learn the maps.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The thing I don't get about the Dishonored morality complaints, it's absolutely the same storytelling device that Bioware RPGs (or Bioshocks) use, except that it evolves organically instead of being tied to a series of Kick Puppy/Save Puppy decision points. Did people complain about having to be evil to use force lightning?

I will accept that the writing wasn't good enough to maybe validate both choices, but if anything, the, much later written, rainbows-and-unicorns good ending is the one that feels out of place, not the "bad" one.

Having a Death Wish/Taken/Man on Fire plot that doesn't let you have both the brutal vigilante power fantasy, while also letting you claim the moral high ground at the same time is precisely what I appreciate about Dishonored.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Megazver posted:

Making story choices is the core gameplay in Bioware RPGs.

The Bioware RPG equivalent of getting shat upon by the game if you start using all the Murder Toys in Dishonored would be the Bioware RPG making GBS threads on you if you ever try to do any sidequests instead of speedrunning the main plot.

So... Mass Effect 2? Dishonored's in good company, then.

And you'll have to provide some detail what a game "making GBS threads on you" is supposed to mean, exactly. I don't see how anyone who's played both versions of Dishonored's final mission could feel that the high chaos finale is somehow less satisfying than the low chaos one.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I think they should just put a couple of buttons at the end, so I can watch both endings by reloading my final save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

I have completed Dh2 multiple times and still somehow did not know that :stare:

There's two problems with it, though. First, on a basic mechanical level, every time you reload, the Chaos state of all NPCs is reset. And second, and that might just be my opinion, there's way too many over the top grimdark lines when you use the Heart in D2. D1's writing wasn't flawless, but it was more nuanced in many ways. Maybe the lack of a voiced player character just made it feel that way, but then again, I think the Daud DLC was the best-written part of the series, and that wasn't voiceless.

I have a bunch of problems with the narrative of D2, and not the least of that is that it starts you off in the middle of a violent insurrection where loyal guards and citizens are slaughtered in the street by the dozens. And then you board a ship for two weeks, and leave in a different city, on another island.

The Chaos system and its knock-on effects make absolutely no sense in that context. First, the enemies you're up against are all part of a murderous coup, so killing them should reduce civilian and loyalist casualties. And second, why does this make the situation in Karnaca worse and lead to more bloodflies? Yeah, it's all metaphysical, but it's just so clumsy.

The Chaos system really worked in D1, and reinforced that you're in a city on the brink of collapse, poised for just a little nudge in either direction. And I loved how Corvo's choice at the end of the Daud DLC was the reflection of your own behavior. But it really didn't support the narrative of D2 all that well.